Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

"Say his name!!"
    Nah, couldn't be ar$ed.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Lots of Call of Duty players in this thread tonight...

I do find it fascinating that he was pepper sprayed and tasered first (according to rte) and that still didn't incapacitate him. I know tasers won't work on bulky clothing but for pepperspay not to work seems incredible...

In America I suspect he wouldn't have made it out of the store alive.

Muppet man

Pepper spray is ineffective on a lot of people.

It also doesn't help that the spray issued to AGS is some of the weakest you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

furiousox wrote: »
    "Say his name!!"
    Nah, couldn't be ar$ed.

Would they be saying that if he had been disarmed and detained, i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I imagine there will some sort of handwringing statement from some left winger as to why a poor working class lad couldn't innocently swing a knife about the gaff without the wicked guards getting involved...

Ya, JEDWARD are already on the case and have posted a very angry tweet.
    Basically saying that because the knifeman was coloured he was shot dead and if he was white he would have been tasered and dealt with differently.
    The mind boggles.....:confused:

• give over they are trained

Yes, they’re trained not to do it.

They can have all the training in the world, it doesn’t mean they can decide the course a bullet takes. It’s not about missing either, a bullet is very likely going through the leg or arm and possibly hitting someone else.

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    Pepper spray is ineffective on a lot of people.

It also doesn't help that the spray issued to AGS is some of the weakest you can get.

Some folk would be up in arms if they had the stronger stuff. The same people who are up in arms over this.

Ironic, when you consider that stronger pepper spray could have saved his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

His funeral will be a quiet affair under the lockdown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

#JusticeForGeorgeNkencho

Stick that into Twitter search bar.

Sickening

Just did myself. Yeah, it's sickening.
    Most are young and quite a few are black people. No shocks for either category.

Idiots. Whole lot of them. But I reckon most of them don't believe in Corona or its some big conspiracy.... You know.... Morons lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

How long before racism accusations against the police.

There's plenty of video footage to show why it's not racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

like i said earlier, that garda would want to have a watertight reason for frankly murdering a man in his own garden.

Listen Bud,

There was nobody murdered here today. A boy/man/armed knife robber was shot having repeatedly refused to comply with the orders of Gardai and actually went swinging at them with a knife. End of.
    This guy is far from a victim. In fact the only victims here are the people he terrorised shortly before that in a local shop. These people should be the main priority now.!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

do you need to shoot five times,
    once in the leg would put anyone down

It's surprisingly difficult to hit a moving target in the legs, regardless of how close you are.

Lads there 'I'd have shot him in the leg' and the last time they were near anything even gun-shaped was when they played Quazer at Leisureplex in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    If he stabbed somebody then he broke the law and deserves to be arrested and tried for violent assault. Are we America now where we shoot people and then decide what they're guilty of?!

Read the news report, the shop manager/owner was attacked and stabbed by a knife welding suspect who ran from the shop.

Garda both uniformed & armed support unit attended the scene, they were all threatened with a knife, the report clearly states that all non lethal methods to arrest &restrain the individual were used and exhausted.

GSOC are investigating the circumstances so lets not rush in with 4 feet and start blaming members of AGS who in my opinion did their job to keep the general public safe and their members safe.

If you were being threatened with a knife what would you do? Ring the Garda for help of course.

So less of the drama and lets deal with the facts as they present themselves.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/knifeman-dies-garda-shooting-clonee-19539935

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Witcher wrote: »
    Lads there 'I'd have shot him in the leg' and the last time they were near anything even gun-shaped was when they played Quazer at Leisureplex in 1996.

You are forgetting GTA5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

What happened today was not about race but people will try to make it so as it suits their sheltered, privileged god forbid we didn’t have something to be enraged about online, leftist snowflake personas. There is no denying what happened today is tragic but should some Gardas family be mourning their loss tonight? NO! From what I know locally and if a fraction of what I’ve heard is true, Dublin 15 is a safer place tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    If he stabbed somebody then he broke the law and deserves to be arrested and tried for violent assault. Are we America now where we shoot people and then decide what they're guilty of?!

No we shoot people who attempt to stab Gardai or citizens.

We do this so citizens or Gardai don’t loose their lives or get seriously hurt.

If you don’t want to be shot by the Gardai, don’t try and kill or injure them or anybody else with a sword or large knife.

I got up at 8.30 this morning and have had no inclination to stab, cut, shoot, terrorize or injure anybody. By virtue of these facts, I’m going to enjoy my evening, relaxed, safe, in good health and enjoy watching the match, talking to friends all in safety, then go to bed.

This individual won’t be able to do that, because on getting up he chose to go about being violent and terrorizing people with a weapon.

He is dead because of the choice he made, no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

WE NEED BODYCAMS ON ARMED GARDAÍ

my Facebook feed has 3 if my black facebook friends calling the Gards rascist scum and the video posted is shot from a distance and shaky. Body cams are the only thing that would prove lethal force was absolutely necessary

purifol0 wrote: »

my Facebook feed has 3 if my black facebook friends calling the Gards rascist scum and the video posted is shot from a distance and shaky. Body cams are the only thing that would prove lethal force was absolutely necessary

That still wouldn't satisfy your friends or those that hold the same opinions.

Refer to this bodycam video of a guy wielding a knife, gets Tased which is ineffective and then attempts to stab a cop and the only thing which saves her is her vest, he's then shot dead...and the cops are still wrong apparently. Branded racists and murderers.

https://youtu.be/5s8oFOykyIo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

The whole BLM facade being thrown around again tonight.

A thief was shot today after the guards had exhausted all other avenues and he kept coming.

It's not a BLM issue, would be if they had just seen him in the yard and shot him because they hadn't fired a gun in a while.

Guards were left with no other choice and they did what they had to do to deescalate the issue.

You'd swear people would rather see an innocent guard stabbed today and that lad in custody, convinced of it infact.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

do you need to shoot five times,
    once in the leg would put anyone down
    Once in the leg is also enough to kill someone - hit the femoral artery and it's game over pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think the Garda who used his gun tonight would agree with you. It'd put alot of this imported, American sh1t to rest.

You think he wanted to shoot him? Despite the fact pepperspray was used, then a tazer was used, and your man was still swinging at them with a knife?

That Garda took a man's life, and he never left home today intending to do so.

So he'd agree with you, a bodycam would have helped. In a country that has roughly 5 police shootings a decade. It'd cut out all the sh1te people are posting on twitter et al to further their own agendas and feel they belong to some sort of cause.

Alot of those people should apply to join the Gardaí, "change from within" and all that. They might be surprised to find, young, liberal, and progressive young people who joined up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

You obviously did not see the video footage taken from the field across from the house of the individual where he is violently swinging the large knife at the Garda officers in the front garden of the house.

Its not shaky and its clear as day to me.

AFAIK armed response units have body cams.

I would say the neighbour might have also caught the shooting. There were some videos taken from the bedroom window. The incident went on for a while so I reckon the caught more of it than they released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

For those who have seen the video, anybody think it looks like the guards shot a bit early? Looks like he was standing in the doorway. He was shot at, then went for the guard.

I'm not denying he was going crazy with a knife and robbed a shop etc., just looking at the exact moment the guns went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Must have been on drugs or outright scumbag to get shot by the guards

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    Must have been on drugs or outright scumbag to get shot by the guards

Having just attempted two armed robberies, and putting a staff member in hospital, I think it is safe to hazard a guess at which one is more likely.

Apparently he has a bit of a name on the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Strumms wrote: »
    No we shoot people who attempt to stab Gardai or citizens.

We do this so citizens or Gardai don’t loose their lives or get seriously hurt.

If you don’t want to be shot by the Gardai, don’t try and kill or injure them or anybody else with a sword or large knife.

I got up at 8.30 this morning and have had no inclination to stab, cut, shoot, terrorize or injure anybody. By virtue of these facts, I’m going to enjoy my evening, relaxed, safe, in good health and enjoy watching the match, talking to friends all in safety, then go to bed.

This individual won’t be able to do that, because on getting up he chose to go about being violent and terrorizing people with a weapon.

He is dead because of the choice he made, no other reason.

Not necessarily, There will be, i would presume, an internal investigation of protocols followed along with an assessment of proportional / disproportional use of force to see if it indeed was excessive given the circumstances or by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Tzardine wrote: »
    Having just attempted two armed robberies, and putting a staff member in hospital, I think it is safe to hazard a guess at which one is more likely.

Apparently he has a bit of a name on the estate.

According to who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

According to who?

You can see screenshots of his neighbourhood Whatsapp group posts describing his previous, on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not necessarily, There will be, i would presume, an internal investigation of protocols followed along with an assessment of proportional / disproportional use of force to see if it indeed was excessive given the circumstances or by the book.

There should be an investigation... i dont envision anybody having an issue with that...

Going by what we know here... an individual attacked a Garda / Gardai with a deadly bladed weapon.. not a few swings of a bat...or kicks and punches. .it was attempted murder....

If im out doing a job or out walking, playing football...sitting in the park and out and about and sombody attacks me with a deadly bladed weapon... if they dont kill me ... ill certainly be leaving them minus a pulse and with an appoinment to visit Rom Massey... im not going to ask them to stop so we might discuss how they are feeling, what challanges they face in life... im defending myself.. i value my life... no different for the gardai... they have a right to defend themselves.. they did... successfully. They neutralized a very real and present danger to themselves and society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement