Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Strumms wrote: »
    There should be an investigation... i dont envision anybody having an issue with that...

Going by what we know here... an individual attacked a Garda / Gardai with a deadly bladed weapon.. not a few swings of a bat...or kicks and punches. .it was attempted murder....

If im out doing a job or out walking, playing football...sitting in the park and out and about and sombody attacks me with a deadly bladed weapon... if they dont kill me ... ill certainly be leaving them minus a pulse and with an appoinment to visit Rom Massey... im not going to ask them to stop so we might discuss how they are feeling, what challanges they face in life... im defending myself.. i value my life... no different for the gardai... they have a right to defend themselves.. they did... successfully. They neutralized a very real and present danger to themselves and society.

I don't disagree with you if indeed that was the case, all i'm saying is that i do not know Exactly what happened as i was not there. or the protocols that the Gardai follow in such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

strandroad wrote: »
    You can see screenshots of his neighbourhood Whatsapp group posts describing his previous, on twitter.

I saw the screenshot. It's somebody with their back faced to the camera and a hood up. Could be a 90 year old granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

I saw the screenshot. It's somebody with their back faced to the camera and a hood up. Could be a 90 year old granny.

Jog on mate. Let the adults talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Tzardine wrote: »
    They shot him four times in the torso and he was still swinging the knife with massive force. The 5th shot took him down.

This nonsense of shoot in the legs to incapacitate has no place in reality and should be left to the movies.

Look at the video and then tell me he should have been shot in the legs.
    No, I simply can't accept that. This was not even a hostage situation. He was alone and brandishing a knife faced with the combined might of fifteen Gardai carrying firearms, tasers and pepper spray. Were the tasers and pepper spray deployed repeatedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Can I ask where is the video available to watch?

It's on Twitter if you search Clonee shooting you should find it easy enough

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The gardas name and photo is now on Twitter, this could actually escalate now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

EqgzbVFXAAApHnU?format=jpg&name=900x900

EqgzbVLW8AIt5XF?format=jpg&name=900x900

Looks like he (the dead bloke) , had plenty of time to make a choice as to whether put down his weapon and be taken into custody. They followed him slowly, he had ample opportunity
    He made the wrong choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

chicorytip wrote: »
    No, I simply can't accept that. This was not even a hostage situation. He was alone and brandishing a knife faced with the combined might of fifteen Gardai carrying firearms, tasers and pepper spray. Were the tasers and pepper spray deployed repeatedly?

Roysh.

chicorytip wrote: »

That’s one of the most absurd posts I’ve ever read on boards...

What does a hostage situation have to do with it ? He’d been in possession of a deadly and illegal weapon.

He’d attacked and wounded two people with the weapon already, so he had intent to use it, he had used it.

He threatened Gardai with it.

The ‘combined might’ of 15 Gardai... fûcking sure, and the community were sure glad the might of the law was there to protect them... or do you feel 4 would have been better, carrying a happy meal to try cheer the fella up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Life is full of choices and unfortunately for him, he made the wrong choice, life continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

The politicians egging this on should be ashamed of themselves. There's always gob****es who believe stuff they read on social media/ media in general and don't look for the facts. The politicians weighing in gives it legitimacy. Now that I'm lecturing elected politicians, I feel properly old :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The Garda will never work again his name and face is all over Twitter which isn’t right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The Garda will never work again his name and face is all over Twitter which isn’t right

Having a name and a random photo of a guard doesn't mean it was him.

I heard it was Michael McGardaMan and here's his photo;

Mr_Blobby%2C_2009.jpg

You posted the same thing a few minutes ago and were ignored so you decided to stir the pot again
    The gardas name and photo is now on Twitter, this could actually escalate now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

delly wrote: »
    For anyone interested, the tueller principle explains how quickly a knife wielding attacker can get to you, therefore is a factor in when to administer lethal force.

Also The fighting arc. Conventional vrs unconventional

Police in UK would be fully trained on dealing with single and multiple attackers.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/360444/response/894962/attach/3/Personal%20Management.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

He certainly will work again... the names and identity of Gardai are published almost daily in the media... could be he’ll be keeping a lower profile in light of the stress and everything related to the incident but fair play...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Traditionally the ARU don't walk a beat, if he shows up, the situation is already beyond normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

He will and should be commended for his bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Seen a few videos of the incident...

Guards had no option, unless they wanted 1 of their colleagues seriously injured or killed...

How's his victim doing, the lad working in Spar

I saw a video this eve around twitter. Some people were sharing it as an example of what can happen if police don't act quickly enough to a "crazy knife man".

There were four policemen, in Mexico maybe (it was in Spanish) trying to calm down some crazy guy with a knife. The police were all armed but telling him to chill out. Somehow in a split second, the guy managed to stab all four police. He was eventually shot and killed, but one policeman bled out and died. This was all on camera.

It was in some bushy area near a road. Horrific stuff.

I am 87% certain this is used in training videos for police worldwide. Really scary how quickly he f&%$ed up a bunch of armed policemen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Yes he will, these guys are made of sterner stuff, they need to be.

There's also a good chance that the poor unfortunate security man in the shop will not work again after getting his head bursted. Probably on a minimum wage and possibly no pension. He is the real victim here.
    Our thoughts with him tonight in Connolly hospital.

Do the Armed Support Unit wear bodycams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Not robbing shops, listening to Garda directions and not trying to stab Gardai reduces your chances of getting shot by 100%.

Play dangerous games win dangerous prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

piplip87 wrote: »
    Not robbing shops, listening to Garda directions and not trying to stab Gardai reduces your chances of getting shot by 100%.

Play dangerous games win dangerous prizes.

This should be posted everywhere, simplest way of explaining why this happened.

It's not murder or racism. The lad robbed a shop, assaulted numerous people and after all the other avenues were burnt out he left the guards no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

washman3 wrote: »
    Yes he will, these guys are made of sterner stuff, they need to be.

There's also a good chance that the poor unfortunate security man in the shop will not work again after getting his head bursted. Probably on a minimum wage and possibly no pension. He is the real victim here.
    Our thoughts with him tonight in Connolly hospital.

Please let us know if you hear of a go fund page for this security man?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The Garda will never work again his name and face is all over Twitter which isn’t right[/QUOTE

Bull.... He /she has nothing tho be ashamed or worried about. Carried out their duty to an excellent standard. I would hope that the Garda involved would be given 4 weeks off with full pay to recover from such an incident.

It’s such a sad state of the the world is now that all this ****ers previous offences are overlooked and he’s some sort of martyr just because of the colour of his skin. A filthy scumbag is a filthy scumbag regardless, and he got what was coming to him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Jin luk wrote: »
    Like the video in England with about 5 cops and a man with a machete they disarmed him and arrested him after he ran and swung at them too, way too much force used today.

Another bullsh1t post. Every circumstance is different. I know the clip you are talking about and that suspect didn't put up such a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Another bullsh1t post. Every circumstance is different. I know the clip you are talking about and that suspect didn't put up such a fight

He ran at police with a weapon longer than 40cm but they still could disarm him? Is Gardaí not trained to disarm him? And not only that but kept shooting when he was down. If theirs bodycams the investigations will be great to hear about. EXCESSIVE FORCE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Jin luk wrote: »
    He ran at police with a weapon longer than 40cm but they still could disarm him? Is Gardaí not trained to disarm him? And not only that but kept shooting when he was down. If theirs bodycams the investigations will be great to hear about. EXCESSIVE FORCE!

Have you seen the video?
    The shooting stops when he goes down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement