Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Shot by Gardai in Clonee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Jin luk wrote: »
    He ran at police with a weapon longer than 40cm but they still could disarm him? Is Gardaí not trained to disarm him? And not only that but kept shooting when he was down. If theirs bodycams the investigations will be great to hear about. EXCESSIVE FORCE!

Do you want a guard to risk their lives to disarm the guy when all he had to do was disarm himself?

This chap had robbed a shop, assaulted people and refused to drop a weapon which he then attempted to attack Gardaí with.

They waited until the last moment they could before they pulled the trigger. Watch the video if you wish.

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'd think he meant that we are heading towards a few protests. Theres already videos doing the rounds of fireworks been let off in the direction of Gardai. Protests planned for tomorrow outside Blanch Garda Station and protests planned for Dublin Saturday.

If this follows the American Model of BLM protests could be a weekend of burning and looting.

I hope the Gardai break up any mass gatherings as we do not need anything to drive COVID numbers up more.

Need to go continental europe on them and go in in large numbers and swinging. Protests like this shouldn’t be allowed to start at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

YbFocus wrote: »
    Do you want a guard to risk their lives to disarm the guy when all he had to do was disarm himself?

This chap had robbed a shop, assaulted people and refused to drop a weapon which he then attempted to attack Gardaí with.

They waited until the last moment they could before they pulled the trigger. Watch the video if you wish.

He was also attempting to enter a dwelling, with a knife and with unknown intentions, presumably with the Gardaí at the scene unaware of whether he actually lived there or not.

Coupled with what occurred leading up to the incident, the outcome is not all that surprising unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

YbFocus wrote: »

I have watched the video and I believe it was EXCESSIVE FORCE theirs countless articles of white males attacking Gardaí with knives through the years and they were disarmed and arrested a black guy does it and is shot dead do you not see why people are enraged and politicians asking questions these Gardaí will be in the courts for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

do you need to shoot five times,
    once in the leg would put anyone down

Bit of a kneecap fan, are we? Or a fantasy gun user? Once in the leg eh? Splendid. And then graze his earlobe with a bullet just for sh1ts and giggles, just to put the fear of God in him....
    You're some dose.

• Advertisement

I have watched the video and I believe it was EXCESSIVE FORCE theirs countless articles of white males attacking Gardaí with knives through the years and they were disarmed and arrested a black guy does it and is shot dead do you not see why people are enraged and politicians asking questions these Gardaí will be in the courts for this.

They better not, they'd be the real victims here.
    About time the Gardaí were allowed use proper force, it'll quieten and the scrotes with 100s of items on their records.

Simple fact he'd be alive if he didn't rob the shop today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was there anybody else in the house?

it would be illuminating to see what angle the first bullet went into his body

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'd think he meant that we are heading towards a few protests. Theres already videos doing the rounds of fireworks been let off in the direction of Gardai. Protests planned for tomorrow outside Blanch Garda Station and protests planned for Dublin Saturday.

If this follows the American Model of BLM protests could be a weekend of burning and looting.

I hope the Gardai break up any mass gatherings as we do not need anything to drive COVID numbers up more.

I hope to jaysus they use any force necessary if so. Gangs of them have been causing havoc in my area for the last few years. A ****ing cancer on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joefinnegan

Tzardine wrote: »
    From what I understand, gardai tried several non-lethal tactics, including tasers. He then tried to attack them with the knife and was shot once.

Seems totally above board to me.

Not saying he deserved a death sentence, but hard to find fault with the cops if that is true.
    do the gardai have no such things as stun grenades or similar, even a small water cannon say on ford transit for example for these type of situations... rubber bullets are banned of course but surely a case could be made to have them in this type of situation...ok, he had a knife, was he in close proximity to the Gardai and moving closer when he was shot...I fear now we have an armed repsonse unit, which have trained officers straining at the bit so to speak, and its almost a release of energy when called out then that someone gets shot...John Carty in Abbeylara at least had a gun and was walking towards the Gardai, a knife though and get shot five times and shot dead at that???...counter duty no doubt for the shooting Garda and maybe a pull of money to for one or two others in attendance for trauma...it is Ireland after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

do the gardai have no such things as stun grenades or similar, even a small water cannon say on ford transit for example for these type of situations... rubber bullets are banned of course but surely a case could be made to have them in this type of situation...ok, he had a knife, was he in close proximity to the Gardai and moving closer when he was shot...I fear now we have an armed repsonse unit, which have trained officers straining at the bit so to speak, and its almost a release of energy when called out then that someone gets shot...John Carty in Abbeylara at least had a gun and was walking towards the Gardai, a knife though and get shot five times and shot dead at that???...counter duty no doubt for the shooting Garda and maybe a pull of money to for one or two others in attendance for trauma...it is Ireland after all...

You clearly haven't read the thread or any of the news articles concerning the incident. Have a look and then come back to us. Thanks

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    For anyone interested, the tueller principle explains how quickly a knife wielding attacker can get to you, therefore is a factor in when to administer lethal force.

This. Exactly. They weren't going to make the same mistake the poor Garda did in Mayo. If you're carrying a gun, you've a duty to keep threats at a distance and warn them, then drop them if they breach that. How you drop them will be protocoled, but you shouldn't lose control of your weapon. That's a tragedy waiting to happen. Clearly, a mentally ill person needs help. A machete wielding aggressive person, mentally ill or not, needs nullifying.
    In Abbeylara, they placed the poor man in an impossible box, failed to cajole him, then slaughtered him when he breached their line. They've learned, hopefully, since then also. No matter what the FBI officially said. Their job is to protect the Irish public and, in the main, they do a marvellous job in doing so, particularly in de-escalating situations.
    How do I know? They de-escalated me twice back in the day. Cool heads prevail. Young men are nuclear devices. Gardaí know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Live by the sword.. die by the gun.

Eeejit got what he deserved. Too many people saying he didn’t deserve this. Did the shop guy deserve what happened to him? Did the other people threatened?

Sorry too many bleeding hearts here.

Colour of skin makes no odds. I’m sure some assholes will be saying it’s racially motivated next.

Run this through a bit, so if they don't shoot him and he makes a run at one of the Guards and stabs him in the heart/neck etc and the Guard dies? What then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Run this through a bit, so if they don't shoot him and he makes a run at one of the Guards and stabs him in the heart/neck etc and the Guard dies? What then?

Or if he ran into the house and ended up murdering an occupant with the guards standing outside? Can you imagine the outcry then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Or if he ran into the house and ended up murdering an occupant with the guards standing outside? Can you imagine the outcry then?

'Fcukin useless cnuts'

Gardai can't win no matter what they do

'Why didn't they pepper spray him?'
    'They did'
    'Why didn't they taser him?'
    'They did'
    'Why didn't they shoot him in the leg?'
    'This isn't a movie'
    'Well...did anyone think of throwing a net over him?' (As per Twitter)

Any argument just becomes a farce.

He ran at police with a weapon longer than 40cm but they still could disarm him? Is Gardaí not trained to disarm him? And not only that but kept shooting when he was down. If theirs bodycams the investigations will be great to hear about. EXCESSIVE FORCE!

You're a walking parody.

You said in the Carrigaline stabbing thread that knife crime should be attempted murder yet you're in here saying a knife wielding scumbag was dealt with excessive force.

Didnt even take much of a post search to see that anomaly.

You're a walking parody.

You said in the Carrigaline stabbing thread that knife crime should be attempted murder yet you're in here saying a knife wielding scumbag was dealt with excessive force.

Didnt even take much of a post search to see that anomaly.

Hahaha brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hopefully this loss of life is an example to the youth of today that not always will their actions only result in a slap on the wrist.

Sad story but if you're going to try and attack a police officer then you should expect the worst possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Some people are enraged, others can see exactly what happened and to them (the majority IMO) it was justified.
    He drops the knife, he doesn't get shot. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Youd have the same pc brigade that are on here and twitter etc el looking for capital punishment brought back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Water cannon from a ford transit. :pac: brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Great.
    Just what we need in 2021. A mob of feckin virtue signaling SJW idiots calling for the Gardai to be defunded in the name of a knife wielding maniac, all given a soap box by social media that will reach the younger generation. A generation packed with the type that want to be the next big twitch streamer and will jump on any band wagon or hot topic that will get them there.

I see it like this,

THe Gardai shot and killed a dangerous person with a knife who had already attacked someone with the same knife and was attempting to do it again.

Well done to the Gardai.

I hope the Gardai always put the lives of innocent people first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Hijpo wrote: »
    Great.
    Just what we need in 2021. A mob of feckin virtue signaling SJW idiots calling for the Gardai to be defunded in the name of a knife wielding maniac, all given a soap box by social media that will reach the younger generation. A generation packed with the type that want to be the next big twitch streamer and will jump on any band wagon or hot topic that will get them there.

Country's going down the drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Water cannon from a ford transit. :pac: brilliant

I nearly pissed my bed and it's been a while since that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

THIS....how were the Gardai to know the place was unoccupied ? Simple they weren’t. It was a residential dwelling, they needed on that basis to presume that there were people inside. Those people were or would have been in potential danger, so the Gardai nullified the danger... simple. If he goes in, kills two people and the ASU or ERU were stood outside, you will have the same people in this thread going to be asking why the Gardai didn’t use force to nullify his threat.

If you carry and utilize a deadly weapon which he did you should expect deadly force to be applied to stop you...

The situation ended well, nobody in the house was hurt or killed, none of the Gardai were, the individual who ‘choose’ to carry out a violent attack with a deadly weapon was killed when he refused to give up the weapon and allow himself be arrested... had he followed the instructions of the Gardai, hes still alive tonight.

He isn’t because he entered a residential dwelling, with a weapon which he’d used to savagely attack people with having had multiple opportunities to give it up.

You have to presume he would have attacked again on that basis...

He gives up the weapon, he is alive, he chooses to stay home and watch the match instead of indulging in violence, he is still alive.

Not the fault of the Gardai, or even close. I’m grateful they did what they did. Better him dead than some innocent person out for a walk or in that house watching tv.

Witcher wrote: »
    'Fcukin useless cnuts'

Gardai can't win no matter what they do

'Why didn't they pepper spray him?'
    'They did'
    'Why didn't they taser him?'
    'They did'
    'Why didn't they shoot him in the leg?'
    'This isn't a movie'
    'Well...did anyone think of throwing a net over him?' (As per Twitter)

Any argument just becomes a farce.

Did they ask him to play chess? Twister?? Nó, they f*ckin well didn't. They had options. A Hurley (thanks Jason), a pool ball in a handkerchief... It's about a balanced well thought out reaction to a precarious situation and unpredictable individual with a very documented past. Its a pity they couldn't have Mr Spocked him but you have to get inside his reach for that interstellar fight finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

He brought it on himself, Gardaí are blameless and I'm someone who doesn't have much time for them, but we have policing for a reason, simple as. I sympathize with his family but if he wasn't acting the dick he wouldn't have been shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

KKV wrote: »
    It's all the years of the black slavery historically associated with Ireland that has everyone pent up over this.

It's not like black people came to this country and got treated to housing, welfare and access to education and work. That'd never happen. They're dead right to be angry. Every second day we're reading about Gardai degrading and harrassing black people. I just wonder how many others these white police have murdered that we don't know about.

(yes, this is all sarcasm).

It's not even that Ireland has little association with historical slavery, it's that the vast majority of the black population here would have come directly from Africa, or be children of those that did, and some of them want to act like they've been living in the US for generations, with all its (admittedly many) associated problems and racial tensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I swear twitter and Facebook is just a wash with SJW's, and the "Vigil" at his house is just laughable. Yes he was a .... non white man, I honestly don't know what is allowed to even be said anymore, but what has that go to do with anything?

He went into a Eurospar in Hartstown, attacked and beat a security guard, wasn't a manager btw, broke his nose and damaged his teeth, went to stab him but he managed to run away, he had a large knife btw, some people saying a Machete.

He then attempted to flee and was confronted by unarmed Guards who he threatened with a Knife and led a car chase to his estate, eventually the armed response showed up and did deploy a tazer which had 0 effect, which is not unheard of, you see that alot in America and elsewhere, Pepper spray was also used and it had no effect. He can clearly be seen swinging the knife directly at a Guard who was armed, and only after everything else failed, did the guard use the last resort, which was ABSOLUTELY JUSTIFIED.

Now his family is suggesting a Mental illness and he was a nice fellow, which is odd considering the day before that he absolutely battered a man because of his sexual orientation, and just before Christmas he attacked an Elderly woman and also attempted to burgle some houses.

So lets say he was Mentally ill, ok so when he eventually did manage to stab someone to death, and at their funeral, do the Guards just say "Sorry we could do nothing, he suffered from a mental illness and was not white so we couldn't shoot him? Nah, he got what he deserved, Mental illness or not, most serial killers if not all suffer from a mental illness, doesn't mean they shouldnt be brought to Justice by any means

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement