Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

vicwatson wrote: »
    I suppose the question for the investigation will be why the pepper spray and tazer didn’t work appropriately and why the gardai felt the need to shoot.

Nothing else for me to say really

The Gardaí could easily have been in fear for anyone with him in the house if a siege situation developed. The reaction from both sides in this is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I suppose the question for the investigation will be why the pepper spray and tazer didn’t work appropriately and why the gardai felt the need to shoot.

Either way there is alot of corrupt barristers, lawyers and NGO Leftwing agitators and Racists rubbing their hands with glee tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

tdf7187 wrote: »
    To be fair, a stag killed a fella in Cork as well, so there were two.

Possibly race motivated too.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Can you post some links please for the benefit of those of us not on Facebook and Twitter?

Ok I had a look. It's unreal, there are dozens of them. Most of them seem to be white females, fwiw.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/GeorgeNkencho?src=hashtag_click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

the gardai followed non lethal escalation procedures, appealed multiple times to drop the knife, it takes a special level of dumb to continue brandishing a knife with a gun or 3 pointed at you,

we don't need that level of dumb in the world.

Or mental illness?

Thats what 'defund the police' in the states is about. More money on training and how to deal with mental illness instead of shoot or don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Perhaps shoot the knife out of his hand?

Easy.

Why shoot at all? A roundhouse kick to the head would resolve any situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

One shot to the leg and the man is down and out. Still alive though.

Thanks Rooster Cogburn

Would ya do it with the eyepatch on aswell?
    truegrit491_1224_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc64a17de7521d859a8f88077d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

You try and get a leg shot when someone is acting maniac like he was. You're trained to aim for the torso and neutralise the threat as quick as possible, which is what the Gardaí did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The toxicology report may or may not shed some light

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Ya and the Guard should have held the gun sideways to maximise his coolness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It appears he was swinging a machete. That's not a knife. A blade, sure.
    But at close quarters, more lethal than handguns in putting the opponent down.
    If he swung a machete at a member of the public, and injured them, that alone warrants being winged. If the gap between them and him closed too quickly (his fault most likely, unlike Abbeylara which was AGS fault), then a trained officer would have no other option except to put him down. And they did. Although you'd imagine a series of shots to the torso and stay away from the head. Although he was always in trouble once taking bullets.
    How did he stab with a machete? Did he stab? Or are people on here talking through their hoops again.
    My thoughts are with the poor man's family and equally with the Gardaí ón scene and their families. And the shooter. Not an ideal Christmas for them is it?? But they're doing it on behalf of all of us so that we don't have to arm ourselves.
    A handgun is f*ck all good if a mental case is bearing down on you with a machete. You'd better be quick and precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Perhaps shoot the knife out of his hand?

Easy.

Shoot the hanging basket chain and let it fall in his head knocking him out cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Having seen the video I can say he defo went at the guards swinging the knife like a mad man but also that the guards need some serious target practice. 5 shots before they actually took him down!

I'd say shoot him in the leg and that should be that but seems they aren't good enough at shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bowie wrote: »
    Or mental illness?

Thats what 'defund the police' in the states is about. More money on training and how to deal with mental illness instead of shoot or don't.

No. No , you cannot justify not shooting this man. They hit him with a tazer, pepper spray and allegedly a bean bag, then shot when he lunged. There is absolutely nothing that justifies this thug remaining alive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

theguzman wrote: »
    Either way there is alot of corrupt barristers, lawyers and NGO Leftwing agitators and Racists rubbing their hands with glee tonight.

Feck them. Race doesn't come in to it at all. A moron is a moron end of story.

They can agitate all they like, but they will be in an echo chamber amongst themselves I reckon.

And if any politician or public figure makes any comment on this incident I will be appalled. Because that doesn't happen usually does it? Watching and waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Or mental illness?

Mentally ill or not if someone is a threat to life then they need to be taken down - the guy had already stabbed one person and was looking to add to his tally, the right course of action was taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Or mental illness?

Gardai didn't shoot until the man lunged. Negotiation, pepper spray and taser had already been tried.
    Youd almost swear some people would prefer if the media were reporting the death of a garda this evening as opposed to a man who happens to be black.

Go watch the video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't know why the Gardai didn't attempt a non lethal shot, ie, to his leg or something. I'm a fierce supporter of BLM but this is not a case of a black man was shot for being black. This is a black man stabbed a civilian and then attempted to stab members of The Gardai. He was pepper sprayed and tased as well. The only question I have is to the killing of him. Black, White or Asian I don't think shooting someone dead is ever a good outcome

There was no guard there who wanted this outcome.

• .G. wrote: »
    Having seen the video I can say he defo went at the guards swinging the knife like a mad man but also that the guards need some serious target practice. 5 shots before they actually took him down!

I'd say shoot him in the leg and that should be that but seems they aren't good enough at shooting!

Wrong. They’re trained not to. Shooting at limbs can lead to a missed shot or a bullet passing completely through and hitting someone else.

Really wish people would consider why suspects don’t get shot in the limbs in real life rather than lament that they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭gw80

Ya and the Guard should have held the gun sideways to maximise his coolness.
    If the movies have taught me anything it's a tea towel can be used to disarm a guy with a knife also,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I
    How did he stab with a machete? Did he stab? Or are people on here talking through their hoops again.
    My thoughts are with the poor man's family and equally with the Gardaí ón scene and their families. And the shooter. Not an ideal Christmas for them is it?? But they're doing it on behalf of all of us so that we don't have to arm ourselves.
    A handgun is f*ck all good if a mental case is bearing down on you with a machete. You'd better be quick and precise.

Apparently he broke managers nose. No stabbing. Gardai went after him and the rest is on video all over the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It will be interesting to see how the media handle this in the next few days

With idiotic statements like below, it doesn't matter what the media say. People will jump to their own conclusions regardless of any facts that they have (or don't have yet). But that's the way society is nowadays. Full of people like this...
    Bonniedog wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Gatling wrote: »
    Shouldn't have shot him dead ,no doubt we'll see demands for a full public enquiry as usual in theses cases ,

He was still swinging the knife after the first 3 shots..

Drugs are a hell of a drug

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

.G. wrote: »

The level of accuracy firing in response to a threat which was demonstrated today vastly exceeds the level which has been noted in studies of the subject.

NYPD stats;

https://infogram.com/nypd-hit-rates-1h7z2l1y5wvy4ow

And you'll find a link to a 2008 Rand study on the subject here;

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2018/may/25/shannon-watts/do-more-7-10-police-bullets-miss-their-mark-gun-co/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Only Tweet I seen that sums it up. I don't care what colour, gender or nationality they are. They deserved a bullet, Gardai had to protect themselves and their colleagues at all costs. Tasers are not always effective.

https://twitter.com/cosainireland/status/1344336822659330048

Watch gofundme have page in support of the dead thief, such a page for the guard who had to kill him for public safety will be publicly deleted. I'd love to trick the morons on the left into somehow donating their money to the guard instead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

And if any politician or public figure makes any comment on this incident I will be appalled. Because that doesn't happen usually does it? Watching and waiting...

Saoirse McHugh is on the case already.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not quite. You don't necessarily fall down when you're shot. It's not Hollywood.

It's often sepsis that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Or mental illness?

What, you think the cops should have maybe consulted a psychiatrist during the madness of this man lunging at them with a deadly weapon?

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    Only Tweet I seen that sums it up. I don't care what colour, gender or nationality they are. They deserved a bullet. Tasers are not always effective.

https://twitter.com/cosainireland/status/1344336822659330048

Twitter deleted in 5, 4, 3 ,2, 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement