Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

#justice for George protest outside Waterford Garda station this afternoon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

anewme wrote: »
    I've seen footage of the mother and son being attacked outside Circle K yesterday and it's scary.

Did you? I saw a video where a mother and son were allegedly attacked for being white so I’m assuming it’s the same one.

What I actually saw was a group of people moving along in a scrum. The one who ultimately fell, and has been said to be the mother, didn’t have one punch landed on her from what I saw. When she falls, it’s not clear if she’s holding her son as I’ve seen claimed. You also see the entire group move on without even acknowledging she’s fallen and they start fighting amongst themselves.

If they were attacking the person that fell, they’d have stopped when she fell because she was helpless and they could have done what they wanted in terms of hurting her. They didn’t even break stride and just kept moving on.

I’ve seen no evidence it was a mother and her son. Ive seen no evidence that she was attacked for being white as several posters have claimed here. I’ve seen no evidence that she was even the person being attacked.

The behaviour of the group was despicable but all I’m seeing is a narrative for that video being pushed to suit an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Did you? I saw a video where a mother and son were allegedly attacked for being white so I’m assuming it’s the same one.

What I actually saw was a group of people moving along in a scrum. The one who ultimately fell, and has been said to be the mother, didn’t have one punch landed on her from what I saw. When she falls, it’s not clear if she’s holding her son as I’ve seen claimed. You also see the entire group move on without even acknowledging she’s fallen and they start fighting amongst themselves.

If they were attacking the person that fell, they’d have stopped when she fell because she was helpless and they could have done what they wanted in terms of hurting her. They didn’t even break stride and just kept moving on.

I’ve seen no evidence it was a mother and her son. Ive seen no evidence that she was attacked for being white as several posters have claimed here. I’ve seen no evidence that she was even the person being attacked.

The behaviour of the group was despicable but all I’m seeing is a narrative for that video being pushed to suit an agenda.

Doesn't take much of a push to be fair.

Ps. Have you seen the video outside Spar? Where a girl can clearly be heard saying "I hope you die.. you white bastards". Do we need to push an agenda here or does it speak for itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

gozunda wrote: »
    I take it that must be the new edition BLM dictionary?

Definition of "hate speech" from the UN

Being a member of an Garda Síochána would indeed qualify as an identifying factor and what is written / published / promoted in that tweet is most certainly hate speech by that definition

The fact that the above is being promoted by an organisation who support the abolition of "police, prisons and property"?

https://twitter.com/merj_ireland/status/1344986961002508288?s=20

So if you twist the meanings of words to suit it fits? :rolleyes:

Your job is not an "identity factor."

It also would not fall within the current bill being discussed in the Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Whats going on in our country when mobs are allowed to roam like that yesterday unchallenged. Where were the Garda? Riot units should've been deployed to break them up and arrest anyone who didn't go home when told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

givyjoe wrote: »
    Doesn't take much of a push to be fair.

Ps. Have you seen the video outside Spar? Where a girl can clearly be heard saying "I hope you die.. you white bastards". Do we need to push an agenda here or does it speak for itself?

Yeah I’ve seen that. It’s disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    These are the ones I remember, some coming from bluethick Twatterers
    1. Shoot the hand
    2. Shoot the knife
    3. Shoot the ear
    4. Shoot the foot
    5. Shoot the leg
    6. Throw a net over him
    7. Deploy a drone to drop a net over him
    8. Shoot a warning shot (at his porch/wall of house)
    9. Wait for someone with a PhD in Wellness (and possibly social/gender/race studies...) to come to talk to him

I’d suggest some kind of robotic cop, in fact a snappy portmanteau could be made of those two words as its title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RWCNT wrote: »
    None of the chants from the picture you posted constitute hate speech.

A dreadful series of events for all involved, will withhold judgement until all facts have came to light, but it's certainly terrible for the family of the dead man and for those he injured, thoughts are with them.

You sure about that?
    All those racist ass cops we don't need them ...

How many people garda gon kill?...

They gon kill us tire ...

I'm afraid they do ...

Definition of "hate speech" from the UN
    any kind of communication in speech, writing or behaviour, that
    attacks or uses pejorative or discriminatory language with reference to a person or a group
    on the basis of who they are, in other words, based on their religion, ethnicity, nationality,
    race, colour, descent, gender or other identity factor.

Being a member of an Garda Síochána would indeed qualify as an identifying factor and what is written / published / promoted in that tweet is most certainly hate speech by that definition

Again the fact that the above is being promoted by an organisation who support the abolition of "police, prisons and property"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tara73 wrote: »
    so you're the expert here?
    Point out where I'm incorrect.
    If guns are that useless, why are they the last resort and not teasers as they are so much better as you describe? And they used teasers here, didn't you read it? And you actually tell the opposite from some with real knowledge here which was several times said: people on drugs apparently often don't react to teasers as was most probably the case with this guy.
    Tasers, not teasers(or tazers if you're American), but anyway. Clearly you have zero bloody clue how a taser works. In the pistol type they shoot two electrodes which are designed to stick in the skin and when the current is passed between them they disrupt voluntary muscle activity by overpowering the body's signals and cause the person to drop pretty much instantly. It doesn't matter whether the person is drugged or not. Their voluntary muscles are short circuited.

However, the taser must make good contact with the skin of the person. Fine if they're wearing a tee shirt, but heavy clothing like a coat can stop that good contact and render them next to useless. If you look at demonstrations of tasers on youtube, note the clothing they're wearing. There have been improvements in taser design, but this still remains a variable. It's also possible the taser failed in some way.

On the other hand, outside of hollywood, being shot by small arms fire doesn't always stop people quickly enough, unless something vital to motor function is hit. The video posted earlier of the assailant with a knife being shot multiple times and still coming forward a good if horrific example. Compare that to video of people being tasered. Being high on drugs or adrenaline can dull the shock and keep someone coming. Being high on drugs or adrenaline can't make your nerves overpower the current in a taser. BTW there is no indication this person was on drugs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »
    Let’s see if the GOfundme ceiling is raised again. Was 5K, now 15K. Hope that lad he beat the ****e out of in Eurospar is doing well.

And.....bar raised once again to 20K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Whats going on in our country when mobs are allowed to roam like that yesterday unchallenged. Where were the Garda? Riot units should've been deployed to break them up and arrest anyone who didn't go home when told.

The Gardai would likely have to shoot and kill many more of them dead if they went gung ho into one of these protests, it would be like a red rag to a bull, as we seen on a video here earlier the mob are calling for blood. It's like a strategic withdrawal for the greater peace.

If I were in charge however I would order a baton charge and deploy some water cannon and tear gas if the Guards have this capability to disperse the crowds. We are in level 5 lockdown in the very worst moment of this pandemic, the last thing we want are these idiots spreading the virus ontop of their hateful racism and clearly anti-Garda pro-criminality message of violence.

If Gemma, Dee and the far-right nutters were out counter protesting I'd give them the exact same treatment.

Look at this way, if Ireland had a proper system of justice this guy would still be alive as he apparently had a string of previous convictions, he should have been in prison where he could hurt no-one or himself. We have an good Garda policing system but our justice and punishment system is as tough as a neutered Pomeranian expected to fight a Pitbull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

BiB -
    Big time.

I would hope the guards do visit him and make it very clear what he is doing (possibly fuelled by grief hate) is dangerous for him and the wider community and an offence that can be taken further.
    A very large eye should be kept on him and anyone who is pandering to this incitement to violence and hatred within his family and friends.
    A further eye (like the one on Gemma O'Doherty, Antifa etc) should be kept on those public personas within ngo's, civil orgs etc who are fuelling this behind their govt funded monthly cheques.
    The political sh1tstirrers should be dealt with by their parties and the chambers they are part of.

The second self video I've just seen makes matters worse for this guy and what this is all about IMO
    Laughing, joking.
    His brother is dead.

https://twitter.com/EmmaMurphy12150/status/1345027279919984640?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So if you twist the meanings of words to suit it fits? :Your job is not an "identity factor."
    It also would not fall within the current bill being discussed in the Oireachtas.

I'd suggest that's what you are doing. But no matter.

The UN definition given above is the first one from a Google search of "hate speech definition"

Where is this dictionary of which you speak btw or just making things up as you go along or is it that you now moving to the ongoing Oireachtas proposal on same ?

Being a member of the Garda Síochána is most certainly an identity factor especially when they are accused of being racists and killing all black people or wtte

Btw I nicked the sarcastic roll eye thingy. Think it probably suits here better

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Has nobody started a gofund for shopworker in hospital to cover medical costs.. wonder have our outspoken politicians taken the time to check in on him or his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I sincerely hope the gofundme is pulled and they don't see any of that cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭enricoh

newmember? wrote: »
    Seems mental health problems run in the family.

There'll be some amount of claims in for ptsd etc out of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

afro man wrote: »
    Has nobody started a gofund for shopworker in hospital to cover medical costs.. wonder have our outspoken politicians taken the time to check in on him or his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Ironical. What even is the point of this? Tribalism at large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kirving

OS_Head wrote: »
    That was 4 shots in about 3 seconds. He seemed to go to the ground and got back up (he did looked compromised) while a solitary Garda moved in and let off another 5th shot from close range. From the first shot to the last it was probably about 5 seconds.

Remember too, that for every 100m away the camera, the Audio will be delayed by 1/3 of a second.

Doesn't seem like much, but watching a video it can make the shots seem later than they were.

Usain Bolt can move 4 meters in 1/3 of a second, and just about anyone could run 2m in the same time. Just a bit of context on the time is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Never say no to monies :pac:

These are the ones I remember, some coming from bluethick Twatterers
    1. Shoot the hand
    2. Shoot the knife
    3. Shoot the ear
    4. Shoot the foot
    5. Shoot the leg
    6. Throw a net over him
    7. Deploy a drone to drop a net over him
    8. Shoot a warning shot (at his porch/wall of house)
    9. Wait for someone with a PhD in Wellness (and possibly social/gender/race studies...) to come to talk to him

They should have said Mass for him. That's sure to have an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

titan18 wrote: »

What are the chances that GoFund me will pull this fundraiser but not any for the deceased man? If I was in charge of the shopkeeper gofundme I'd be looking to close it and cash out as soon as possible before it gets closed and the donators refunded by gofundme. GoFundme like all other bigtech are pro leftist causes and consistently take sides no matter how abhorrent what they are supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

gozunda wrote: »
    Being a member of an Garda Síochána would indeed qualify as an identifying factor

Would it? Anything to back that up? I've had a look around and I can't find any definition of hate speech that includes occupation or profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

nj27 wrote: »
    I’d suggest some kind of robotic cop, in fact a snappy portmanteau could be made of those two words as its title.

They deployed one of those in Texas it made a decision to shoot an offender. No racism there. The machine made a decision

enricoh wrote: »
    There'll be some amount of claims in for ptsd etc out of them anyway.

I'd say Lionel Hutz Attorney at Law is on the phone to them as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

#justice for George protest outside Waterford Garda station this afternoon as well.

Well, both Dublin City and Waterford were pathetically small thankfully.
    Don't know about Galway city and that 'merj' crowd.
    Around Clonee/Blanch, as we have seen, there's quite a few inciting unrest and hatred, not least the brother.

But, the one positive I can take is that the vast, vast majority of black people in this country appear to want nothing to do with this.
    Everyone needs to keep that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The problem is that the gov/guards are gonna sit on their holes for the next 2 years until they have compiled their official report on the incident and allow the craziness to go uncountered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd say Lionel Hutz Attorney at Law is on the phone to them as we speak.

Mental health problems diagnosed by Dr Nick Riviera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

wiggle16 wrote: »
    The problem with our society is that there is nothing that cannot be polarised anymore - an American infection that we have failed to stop from taking hold in Ireland.

Nothing could stop this as we're pretty much an Internet based society now. Almost all information and stimuli that young people consume now is through the internet. To them, the digital world is just as 'real' and important as the real world itself. Because of the Internet, ideas can now spread like viruses. To paraphrase William S. Burroughs, "words are a virus".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement