Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whats going on in our country when mobs are allowed to roam like that yesterday unchallenged. Where were the Garda? Riot units should've been deployed to break them up and arrest anyone who didn't go home when told.

I’ve been wondering if any Gardaí challenged these people
    yesterday?

There seems to be an indifference, ambivalence and tolerance..

What sort of civilised society have we become when we can turn our backs on this and cross our fingers and hope the likes of these people don’t cause too much hassle and damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

humberklog wrote: »
    Yep. May '79 on Abbey St. in Dublin. Warring Triads in a dispute over restaurants went at each other with machetes and in this case they were actual machetes.

Art O' Callaghan Irish Indo photographer caught some great shots of the events.

Very interesting, thank you. I found some information on it here with one quote sticking out - https://www.google.com/amp/s/comeheretome.com/2012/08/29/triad-violence-in-dublin-july-1979/amp/

Pat Keating, manageress of the Curzeon, said the scene on the street was ‘much worse than any Kung Fu film we ever showed here’.

This event seems to be a gang on gang feud that escalated and I couldn't find anything about Irish people being targeted unlike yesterday. Yesterday's events also seem like they will continue into the future simmering at the surface and coming to an explosive boil the next time a guard and a member of the black community come into contact and it doesn't go 100% according to the plan.

JJayoo wrote: »
    The problem is that the gov/guards are gonna sit on their holes for the next 2 years until they have compiled their official report on the incident and allow the craziness to go uncountered

GSOC are investigating the shooting incident.
    Gardai are investigating the criminal aspects of the incident.
    What do you want the government to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd say Lionel Hutz Attorney at Law is on the phone to them as we speak.

Hopefully lionel n dr nick get the bulk of the dough!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Whats going on in our country when mobs are allowed to roam like that yesterday unchallenged. Where were the Garda? Riot units should've been deployed to break them up and arrest anyone who didn't go home when told.

Even the Gardai can't order people to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    RTE aired a clip on TV yesterday and one protester said

"George wouldn't harm a fly"

When thats how the media portray it, we are doomed

Well he won’t harm a fly now.

The media have been disgraceful in how they reported this incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

The problem is that the gov/guards are gonna sit on their holes for the next 2 years until they have compiled their official report on the incident and allow the craziness to go uncountered

Not sure if that will work. A lot of people in this country are getting very tired of woke politics taking up a large slice of the political conversation. I can see a big change coming in the next 5-10 years as society cannot be dictated by critical theory.

They could start by reviewing the status of the likes of FingalTogether and other far left organisations who are just interested in copy/paste protests from the US.

I also think it would be important to stop associating social studies with science and allowing people with PhD's in pseudoscience to dictate the conversation.

The Gardai can damn well stop gangs intimidating and terrorizing people..

And if they can’t, then god help us..

And isn’t loitering an offence? Loitering with intent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Witcher wrote: »
    Even the Gardai can't order people to go home.

Pretty sure they can order you to leave the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Pretty sure they can order you to leave the area.

That's not the same as ordering you home and arresting you if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

A gofundme setup for the security guard

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

It reads

Wayne is a manager from our local Eurospar. He is one of the nicest people you could met. He was violently attacked while in work. This page has been set up to support Wayne in his recovery and to let him know the whole of Blanchardstown and beyond are behind him ❤️

That's good to hear. I wouldn't mind seeing a little fund for the black man in the red jacket seen in the videos yesterday trying to break up assaults also-- tremendous courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

OS_Head wrote: »
    I don't know if there is a ban on sharing the link to the video, so I won't. But for anyone that didn't see it. This is a blow by blow account of it from a camera zoomed in from across the field.

There were about 13 Gardai present. The first shot happened when he was entering the house. I have now way of knowing if it hit.

He then quickly turned around and went at a Garda. That's when the second shot went off. I don't know if that hit. He then swung the knife and it looked like a close miss. So two shots fired and he still nearly stabbed a Garda. Quickly after that a third shot fired. This looked like it staggered him. But there was a lot of movement and it's hard to tell. All the Gardai had backed away at this stage, and a 4th shot happened and it did stagger him. That was 4 shots in about 3 seconds. He seemed to go to the ground and got back up (he did looked compromised) while a solitary Garda moved in and let off another 5th shot from close range. From the first shot to the last it was probably about 5 seconds.

thanks for that as this video doesn't seem to be available anymore.

reading this, doesn't sound very good to me. if it's the case, why start shooting at the guy entering the house? With the back to the guards, going away from them. He went into his home, not into another shop with danger to take hostages. strange, is that a right procedure?

watched the video again, the one only with the shoots clearly audible. it's right, about 5 seconds altogehter. the first 4 shots more quickly after another, the fifth one with a pause of approx. 3 seconds...I can't help, but I find it chilling..

Before the angry man with their own agenda come out raging again how somebody can question the guards here: Yes, I can. It might not possible for you to imagine there's something like analytical, objective thinking/questioning without any biased view possible, yes there is, and shock horror, I'm doing it, if you like it or not:)

For simple people, it must be simple, like black or white. (sorry, no pun intended, honestly:D), one or the other, the poor black guy being a victim of racism or the untouchable guards.

This guy was a scumbag, yes, no doubt about it. But this doesn't exclude that the guards could have overreacted and there wasn't the need to kill him. unable him, yes, but not at all kill him. That's what I question by hearing this five shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hope with all the hatred being stirred up against the Gardai that it doesn't lead to reprisals against them. They're only doing their job, it's the politicians that are creating and encouraging these tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

bubblypop wrote: »
    GSOC are investigating the shooting incident.
    Gardai are investigating the criminal aspects of the incident.
    What do you want the government to do?

BBC News - First Minneapolis police death since George Floyd captured on bodycam
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55509694

Black man shot by cops, footage released the following day in an effort to stop speculation from taking over.

I want the guards/government to take a stand and release an official statement backed up with the current evidence that they have,the cctv in the spar shop, the video footage of him lunging at the guards,the number of guards present, the time frame, just the facts.

Because at the moment there is only speculation and unchallenged loons

I hope with all the hatred being stirred up against the Gardai that it doesn't lead to reprisals against them. They're only doing their job, it's the politicians that are creating and encouraging these tensions.

Well said.

Disgusting to read some of the comments from elected officials..

And very concerning!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

tara73 wrote: »

reading this, doesn't sound very good to me. if it's the case, why start shooting at the guy entering the house? With the back to the guards, going away from them. He went into his home, not into another shop with danger to take hostages. strange, is that a right procedure?

watched the video again, the one only with the shoots clearly audible. it's right, about 5 seconds altogehter. the first 4 shots more quickly after another, the fifth one with a pause of approx. 3 seconds...I can't help, but I find it chilling..

Before the angry man with their own agenda come out raging again how somebody can question the guards here: Yes, I can. It might not possible for you to imagine there's something like analytical, objective thinking/questioning without any biased view possible, yes there is, and shock horror, I'm doing it, if you like it or not:)

For simple people, it must be simple, like black or white. (sorry, no pun intended, honestly:D), one or the other, the poor black guy being a victim of racism or the untouchable guards.

This guy was a scumbag, yes, no doubt about it. But this doesn't exclude that the guards have overreacted and there wasn't the need to kill him. unable him, yes, but not at all kill him. That's what I question by hearing this five shots.

Multiple people have given you the correct answers to all of your questions about this incidence.

The "i'm just asking questions" shtick you are doing is a fairly poor attempt to cover up ****stirring.

walshb wrote: »
    And isn’t loitering an offence? Loitering with intent?

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's mostly the media.

No it's not.

Well, the criminal justice act 2003 certainly covers some areas where persons yesterday needed to be challenged!

No it's not.

Well, the criminal justice (public order) act 2003 certainly covers some areas where persons yesterday needed to be challenged!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's mostly the media.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RWCNT wrote: »
    Would it? Anything to back that up? I've had a look around and I can't find any definition of hate speech that includes occupation or profession.

Yeah the definition already posted.

Why do you think portraying an entire group of people of being racists and killing all black people or wtte is not hate speech?

Being a member of an Garda Síochána is most certainly an identity factor. Where exactly is the confusion with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Not having a go at the Gardai at all I wouldn't do their job in a million years.

Google image Irish Gardai. Then do the same for french and german police.

European police forces are scary. I've never felt safer than walking around Barcelona, Paris, Frankfurt etc. with these lads around. Lille train station with soldiers strolling about. I'm not advocating a police state far from it just a police force that can do its job.

Our lads and ladies need a serious overhaul in uniform and equipment. They look like crossing guards. I don't buy into the unarmed police "policing by consent".

Maybe before. Not anymore. And no politician has the balls to address this. Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That go fund me page should be shut down at this stage.

gozunda wrote: »
    You sure about that?

I'm afraid they do ...

Definition of "hate speech" from the UN

Being a member of an Garda Sh would indeed qualify as an identifying factor and what is written / published / promoted in that tweet is most certainly hate speech by that definition

Again the fact that the above is being promoted by an organisation who support the abolition of "police, prisons and property"?

https://twitter.com/merj_ireland/status/1344986961002508288?s=20

No, it doesn't.

There may be a case regarding a threat against AGS but it absolutely does not fall under hate speech.

tara73 wrote: »

This guy was a scumbag, yes, no doubt about it. But this doesn't exclude that the guards could have overreacted and there wasn't the need to kill him. unable him, yes, but not at all kill him. That's what I question by hearing this five shots.

Well thankfully there are actually qualified people who will be investigating this incident.

Just because you, or someone else who knows nothing about police work or firearms, just thinks they were wrong, doesn't mean they were.

Also, it can be justified shooting someone in the back, if there is someone else in danger in front of that person. Just fyi

BBC News - First Minneapolis police death since George Floyd captured on bodycam
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55509694

Black man shot by cops, footage released the following day in an effort to stop speculation from taking over.

I want the guards/government to take a stand and release an official statement backed up with the current evidence that they have,the cctv in the spar shop, the video footage of him lunging at the guards,the number of guards present, the time frame, just the facts.

Because at the moment there is only speculation and unchallenged loons

The gardai have released a statement. There is now an active investigation.
    It's not the job of AGS to keep nosey people involved in their investigations. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did RTÉ not have a report on the violent protests that took place after the shooting?

https://gript.ie/anger-at-media-blackout-of-violent-protests-in-blanchardstown-after-george-nkencho-shooting/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not looking good all around being used to cause tension on both sides, the longer it goes on though the more the absurdity of certain groups are trying to import American politics is exposed.

When George Floyd happened there was solidarity everywhere with this it's different seems like a shift from the Irish people based on the evidence so far.

The family themselves really misunderstand the country they are in, George's brother caught calling for the death of the guard. I expect he will be served with a warrant at some point.

**** situation but it's blowing up in the wrong direction than those instigating it want it to. Which is not good as it means the folk on the right leaning side make gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One would need to question what do people actually want out of this as if we follow the USA then more black people kill black people then white people and it's a huge huge number in the difference.

Do we want this here.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement