Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

DeanAustin wrote: »
    20 minutes ago you were saying the real issue was mental health support. Make up your mind.

Ok.

It’s dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why are you even asking this question?
    Who ever claimed that they refuse to uphold the law?
    I think you're getting tied up here over nothing.........

May be..

Leave it there so..

Of course Gardai can use discretion (whilst in the course of upholding our laws).

I just don’t believe they can refuse to uphold the law. Refuse to act...unless a valid reason to cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    https://ie.gofundme.com/f/72z2pw-funeral-costs-for-george-nkencho

15 grand for someone who attacked a person and left him scarred for life. 4 grand for the victim.

World is gone crazy.

The first I think is running a a lot longer than the second?

Anyway I've also reported one and donated to the other.
    I don't think I need to say which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How do you report the gofundme? Do I need to sign up for an account before I can report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,442 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

reniwren wrote: »
    Just had a look on go find me there seems to be 5 or 6 campaigns not just the 15k funeral

I found 7 including the 15k one but 5 have 0 donations and 1 has €1500 and looks to have stopped picking up cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

reniwren wrote: »
    Just had a look on go find me there seems to be 5 or 6 campaigns not just the 15k funeral

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-loving-memory-of-george-nkencho?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

So there is , found this one.. turning into a total scam,prob people jumping on the 15k one..
    Hopefully they freeze them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

titan18 wrote: »
    How do you report the gofundme? Do I need to sign up for an account before I can report it?

No you don't need an account. Click here and add the URL of the gofundme in question

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/articles/203604694

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

a76JXPum.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Why is the spar shop being targeted? What possible logic could be applied to make it a target?

You've to remember that we're dealing with reasonable people here!

I reported it there. Don't expect anything to be done as the recipients of the fund are black but fcuk it may as well not stay silent.

Why have you reported it. Do you think the money won't go to the family as stated or there is some illegal activity involved ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Why have you reported it. Do you think the money won't go to the family as stated or there is some illegal activity involved ?

I don't think they need €15k for a funeral, their target at the moment is €20k ffs. It's also crazy to have money gifted to people that have threatened to have a member of the Gardai murdered. Rewarding that behaviour sends out a bad message.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

ForestFire wrote: »
    Is there not something wrong with a public official, blocking their official, verified, public twitter account, linked from her official website, from the public?

Absolutely agree. You also had, within hours of the shooting, without any facts, young people tweeting debatable things-

https://mobile.twitter.com/jack_kennedy_IE/status/1344311495027544065

The assistant editor of the Trinity Times, claiming George hadn't hurt anyone.

This social media reaction is a perfect example of someone who uses incidents like this to feel apart of an oppressed struggle while

1) having no impact on any sort of progression
    2) having never experienced themselves the
    oppression they are claiming to stand against.

And lastly, 3) assuming dangerously that oppression has occurred in the first place, using it to ultimately feel good about themselves or promote their own platform.

Ironically, they jump to conclusions, and employ the same tactics as fringe groups that I think any decent human being would stand against. Its okay though, once it's for their benefit. Disgusting. On both sides.

Disgusting omission of facts, background, context, and statistics are used by racist, bigoted groups.

Those same tactics are used by supposedly anti racist people, who make little actual contribution to the true injustices. Works from your twitter as you contemplate whether to buy those airpods or instead wait and see if flights will be back up and running to Cancun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

a76JXPum.png
    it'll be 25 soon, crazy world full of idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In a day they have increased the gofundme for George from 7k to 10k, from 10k to 15k and now to 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

biko wrote: »
    In a day they have increased the gofundme for George from 7k to 10k, from 10k to 15k and now to 20k.

I think it automatically increases itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Yep, you can set it to cut off at a certain point, but the default is automatic increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

It is somewhat heartening to see that despite politicians best efforts to stir the pot, hardly anyone turned out to protest today. Most reasonable know that this whole "controversy" doesn't hold any water.

I don't think they need €15k for a funeral, their target at the moment is €20k ffs. It's also crazy to have money gifted to people that have threatened to have a member of the Gardai murdered. Rewarding that behaviour sends out a bad message.

I agree you don't need all that money for a funeral and I won't be giving them any of mine.
    But that's not how gofundme works and if people wanna give 20,30 or 100k of their own money they can and a report won't stand unless the fund lied about the recipient or premise.

So really unless the money isn't going to his family or the whole death or funeral is fake you have no grounds to get it taken down going by their rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

It might not be the family in control of those go fund me accounts. It might be misguided young friends thinking they are great raising lots of money and getting greedy. Might not have malicious intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Where do you get that from? Afaik it's a manual process.

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001992687-Editing-Your-Fundraiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Jaysus. So there's the genuine one, the second one, and now another seven (all at €0). Highlights include the fund for building a statue of Genuine George at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and another based in "ARLINGHAM, ENGLAND".

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=homepage_norma/search&term=George%20Nkencho

Also one now set up on the back of this, as a general fund for helping those potentially arrested at protests in the future

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/legal-fund-for-blm-justiceforgeorge-protestors?qid=3fc6a3b45fa44b192616e5c0c204916d

I presume the good natured soul who's seeking 10 grand here, has never heard of the free legal aid scheme? So, his go fund me is pointless, if it truly is to be used for solicitors for anyone arrested.

I also presume he thinks people will be arrested simply for exercising their constitutional right to protest, and not let's say, for hurling a brick through a window at a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I actually don’t think there should ever be a case where a fundraising account can be started and cashed out when the person it’s started for is a criminal.
    Granted anyone can start one but once concerns are raised I believe it should be frozen and monies refunded if and when criminal liability is recognized

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

gozunda wrote: »
    Oddly enough you've unilaterally decided that occupation does not constitute an 'identity factor" as per the UN definition. So I'm afraid I'll pass back that burden of proof to your good self as you're the one getting into apparent knots about it.

Btw a search for "hate speech definition" gives the first result as the UNs own definition. Our own still hasn't been passed so is moot at this point.

More importantly than any arguing over the semantics of 'identity factors' or who can or who can't be affected by 'hate speech' - ask yourself why describing an entire group as 'racists' and 'killing all blacks' (or wtte) both which are criminal offences - is in of itself not "hate crime"?

Btw Your own examples calling people ****ers etc fall short because they belong largely to the realm of defamation and libel

That the use of such speech aimed at spreading hate by accusing an entire group of "racism" and "killing all blacks" - is being promoted by an online group (who support the abolition of the Gardai) encouraging those actively protected against hate speech, to spread hate against another group (ie the Gardai) doesn't somehow strike you as intrinsically and morally wrong?

And that friend goes to the very heart of this matter. The sooner we realise that the better imo.

Hmm, nope. You've unilaterally decided that it does and deemed it hate speech as such - burden of proof still on you, and you still can't prove it. Document you've taken the definition from names all manner of protected characteristics and occupation not included anywhere - completely absent, as it is in any definition of hate speech that I (and presumably also you, since you've yet to produce one) have ever laid eyes on. Since my examples fall within your interpretation of the definition you've shared, maybe libellous or defamatory is a better description of the statements then? I'm not sure. Certainly not hate speech or a hate crime though, as it's not motivated by prejudice against any protected characteristic, which is what defines hate crime in any example I've ever seen.

You're right though, this is semantics - and I think we agree that those sorts of statements are definitely not doing any good. I just don't agree that they constitute hate speech.
    kravmaga wrote: »
    I bet no one is working in the family and all on state assistance or on courses , feel sorry for the decent neighbours stuck living beside them.

What a mess.

Just seen this on Niall Boylans Twitter Account, this could be the deceased brother making very serious threats against AGS.

This is getting out of control now, needs to be nipped in the bud.

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1345072193206693893/video/1

The subtitling on that video is inaccurate. He's not saying "I want him dead..." - he's saying "I want that fed...", fed being a slang for a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?qid=f6a882ccacdfa1c39cb6053522a1f579

The Go Fund Me for Wayne is tipping along nicely and seems to be growing faster.

I haven't donated yet due to my cynical, suspicious mind. If it's still up tomorrow, I prolly will.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    It might not be the family in control of those go fund me accounts. It might be misguided young friends thinking they are great raising lots of money and getting greedy. Might not have malicious intent.

The family is not setting up any of them. Of the 7 only the main one says
    "This fundraiser is organized by a family friend. The family are aware of the fundraiser"
    The rest make no mention other than support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

https://twitter.com/nildacristinaa/status/1345116221323300865?s=19

A.list of demands.

The ****ing lack of political support from the Government to the Gardai is a joke at this stage.

The lack of a crowd at the protest today however makes me think that they do not have the support the George Floyd protests had. It could be that it's cold outside or the rent a crowd that usually attend these things have gained employment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

nj27 wrote: »
    I don't want them to get a red cent personally but it's a bit of an SJW move to report the gofundme. If some retard wants to pay towards a 20k funeral that's really their business.

The money is going to someone who is publically asking and encouraging people to kill a cop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    https://ie.gofundme.com/f/72z2pw-funeral-costs-for-george-nkencho

15 grand for someone who attacked a person and left him scarred for life. 4 grand for the victim. World is gone crazy.

I really do despair for the way society has gone with this whole wokeness and political correctness. It seems that we have gone from the situation where people of minority were discriminated against, to a point where people of minority have a shield around them where they are never held accountable for their actions.And the media have been shameful in their pandering to this.

Equality is treating everybody the same no matter what their background. Equality is NOT turning a blind eye to bad behaviour by people of minority.

How many showed up to the protest today?

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    I actually don’t think there should ever be a case where a fundraising account can be started and cashed out when the person it’s started for is a criminal.
    Granted anyone can start one but once concerns are raised I believe it should be frozen and monies refunded if and when criminal liability is recognized

It's not started for the criminal he happens to be dead.

It clearly states the money is being given to his mother who is not a criminal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement