Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It may end up 1916 was for absolutely nothing as we lose part of our heritage every day....

I'd say they're all turning in their graves, I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

humberklog wrote: »
    The statue GoFundMe is a cracker!

I suppose it's probably bad to laugh at something connected to someone's recent death but that had me spilling my tin of Quality Street on the floor laughing and not giving a flying fcuk.

Will he be depicted wildly slashing with a knife on this statue I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Is it time to remove anonymity from social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It may end up 1916 was for absolutely nothing as we lose part of our heritage every day....

I'd say they're all turning in their graves, I would be.

Were they anti immigration? What heritage are we losing? Most of our population haven’t bothered their arse to even revive our language over the last 100 years or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Donated to that Wayne one anyway. Probably end up being pulled based on gofundmes past decisions but hopefully not and it can continue to grow.

For anyone who lives in that area btw, I was scrolling down the list of people who donated and spotted a councillor had donated to it. This guy https://www.fiannafail.ie/reps/cllr-damien-oreilly/

I don't live there so can't vote but him donating there is more than most politicians have done so I feel like anyone living in the area annoyed by this stuff should vote for him.

Checking his Twitter, I see a councillor Keith Connolly is also posting against it so credit where it dues to them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/keithconnollyff/status/1344691881045860352

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

People are different and have different priorities.

If it was me, I definitely don't think that one of my first actions would be to get onto social media to publicise the collection of some free money for myself via gofundme. That is assuming those social media accounts are genuine. Which they might not be. If they are though, it is a completely alien concept to me. I have known people who have unexpectedly lost others close to them and they couldn't function for weeks or months afterwards. They definitely wouldn't have been up to sending links on twitter the day of.

Either way, as I said, people are different and entitled to be so. If you want to give them money then you can. Your money and your choice. I definitely won't be.

If my brother who had "mental issues" was waving a knife, I would try to console him and take it off him and certainly not record the thing on my feckin phone. Had they done this, he be arrested and might be alive today. The father and mother also need to tell the other son to shut the fcuk up and not be threatening Gardai and tell the protestors to stay at home. You know be responible parents and adults, though I won't hold my breath:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God what a fkn circus this is, fuelled by some politicians who should know far better.

Disgusted by some of the knee jerk reaction commentary, but not surprised either really.

Anyway, a statue you say? Bet planning permission might be a teeny problem there, and no way should that ever be allowed.

Oh and is there any verifiable evidence that this scumbag actually suffered from MH issues, or was he just a bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

It says it's for the funeral and similar, which seems reasonable enough. It's terrible to lose a family member (even if their death is a consequence of their own actions). The stress and cost of arranging things like funerals and solicitors is an additional kick in the teeth that noone deserves.

Maybe if his family and "the brothers" made him behave properly and not turn into a criminal, robbery _GBH - evasion etc etc etc it wouldn't have come to this, he was a criminal end of, used a weapon, attempted to stab several gardai etc, he got what he deserved and what anyone who attacks our emergency workers deserve, I've no sympathy at all for any scumbsywho attempts armed robbery, carries out GBH and attempts murder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

It baffles me how Twitter is seen as a barometer of public feeling when the reality is quite the opposite

I realised how utterly pointless Twitter was during the last British election, if Twitter had been an accurate barometer then Corbyn would have walked in to 10 Downing Street, but Boris got in on a landslide - same with Trump four years ago

But this is the age we live in apparently, random Tweets are taken as fact and narratives are pushed to suit agendas.

It's a cesspit of bull**** and misinformation and I guarantee that when the official report of the Nkencho incident is released, and the Garda who fired the shot exonerated, people will take to Twitter making accusations of a cover up, of racial bias by the state - and what's worse is there are people who will eat that nonsense up and run with it, thus there will be a new narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I threw a few bob towards it earlier. I assumed it was the real thing.

Same here. Good to see the fund for Wayne increasing steadily. One of the true victims in this scenario will at least have the comfort of knowing that many people support him.

It would be great if there was also a way to convey thanks to the Garda who did a stellar job, protecting Irish society from a violent criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That statue is gas alright https://ie.gofundme.com/f/george-nkencho-commemorative-plaque?qid=739213b6eeb56900e08e5544866c228d

So 6 gofundme's of him in total. Someone is looking to profit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I lived in that area my whole life until recently. It's sad to see this happen anywhere but it hits home seeing the Spar and garage in videos like this.

I don't think the Gardai spent 2 hours figuring out a way to shoot the lad, I think they took that time figuring out how not to. I'm disappointing to see some politicians point the finger at the armed forces, before an investigation has been carried out. It's reactionary and self serving for their little Twitter pages. It's dangerous too.

I found then incidents in the Blanch center cringey.

But I can't help but feel particularly disturbed by people reporting the page for the deceased's funeral costs. Christ. And some of the things that have been said in this thread have let me know that the divisions between people that live here are far wider than I though.

Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

titan18 wrote: »
    Donated to that Wayne one anyway. Probably end up being pulled based on gofundmes past decisions but hopefully not and it can continue to grow.

For anyone who lives in that area btw, I was scrolling down the list of people who donated and spotted a councillor had donated to it. This guy https://www.fiannafail.ie/reps/cllr-damien-oreilly/

I don't live there so can't vote but him donating there is more than most politicians have done so I feel like anyone living in the area annoyed by this stuff should vote for him.

Checking his Twitter, I see a councillor Keith Connolly is also posting against it so credit where it dues to them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/keithconnollyff/status/1344691881045860352
    Fair play to him, a lot of elected reps have been very quiet on this or blame the gardai which is obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Granadino wrote: »
    Were they anti immigration? What heritage are we losing? Most of our population haven’t bothered their arse to even revive our language over the last 100 years or so...

So what you're saying is your happy for scum, thugs, criminals etc to be allowed come here and have no consequences for their thuggish actions.....

This is not on and I'm all for deporting such scum.

God what a fkn circus this is, fuelled by some politicians who should know far better.

Disgusted by some of the knee jerk reaction commentary, but not surprised either really.

Anyway, a statue you say? Bet planning permission might be a teeny problem there, and no way should that ever be allowed.

Oh and is there any verifiable evidence that this scumbag actually suffered from MH issues, or was he just a bad boy.

No other group or ethnic minority would get away with the ****e they're at, threatening a gardas life, taking over a shopping centre, blocking traffic etc etc, simple solutions,
    1_ if they don't like the free houses, education, relative peace of our lovely country, there is no one stopping them leaving
    2 ppl need to cop on with this bended knee ****e, it's not America ffs where black ppl have genuine reasons for demanding change etc, Black ppl in this country's get as much if not more than anyone else living here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Their behaviour only favours the far right. It's ammunition for them.

yes , the " far right " ( three men and a dog ) is what we should be concerned about here , not the threat publicly on a serving guards life ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

For everyone saying that a funeral is expensive so that gofundme isn't unreasonable:

I had an utter scobe of a relative that died of an OD a few years back and his ma was his only next of kin and she didn't have a pot to piss in due to being a lush herself so the SVdP stepped in and paid for the whole kit and kaboodle along with throwing herself a few quid as well.

That gofundme money will not be spent on this lads funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Its the sheer disregard for the facts and willful dismissing of what actually happened makes it impossible and pointless to try even reason with protestors like this, just smile and go about your day, the vast majority don't agree with them and pushback will start becoming louder and louder and more right wing characters will start to gain support and the far left will only have themselves to blame which they wont but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Black Lives Matter!

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I lived in that area my whole life until recently. It's sad to see this happen anywhere but it hits home seeing the Spar and garage in videos like this.

I don't think the Gardai spent 2 hours figuring out a way to shoot the lad, I think they took that time figuring out how not to. I'm disappointing to see some politicians point the finger at the armed forces, before an investigation has been carried out. It's reactionary and self serving for their little Twitter pages. It's dangerous too.

But I can't help but feel particularly disturbed by people reporting the page for the deceased's funeral costs. Christ. And some of the things that have been said in this thread have let me know that the divisions between people that live here are far wider than I though.

Grim.

The division has been widened by arseholes who blame white people or "racism" for any misbehaviour by people of colour.

If you believe in white privilege, you are a racist. If you believe black people aren't equal or there are laws that favour white people, you are not only wrong, you are supporting a false narrative that white people are in a superior position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Grayditch wrote: »

There was nothing cringey about it. It was genuinely scary. If I was alone I wouldn't have been overly bothered as I am very capable of looking after myself but I was with my 9 year old.

I saw several people being attacked or jostled purely because they were white. It was actually quite sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Maybe if his family and "the brothers" made him behave properly and not turn into a criminal, robbery _GBH - evasion etc etc etc it wouldn't have come to this, he was a criminal end of, used a weapon, attempted to stab several gardai etc, he got what he deserved and what anyone who attacks our emergency workers deserve, I've no sympathy at all for any scumbsywho attempts armed robbery, carries out GBH and attempts murder

You are dead right.

People need leaders who will speak for THEM as law abiding citizens. Long overdue.

Race and creed should never be a factor in absolving criminal behaviour, but that’s where it’s heading now. You just have to look at reporting of our indigenous ethnic friends activities as an example.

Sick of it.

My best friends brother was murdered nearly 20 years ago by some scumbag not my friend or his family did any media interviews due to the shock of the loss of a sibling.

Nothing as horrific as that. My elderly aunt died suddenly a few years ago. We flew over to Manchester for the funeral and I was asked to give a reading at the funeral. Made a shambles of it because while reading it I was holding back tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    What sort of horrible **** tries to stop a few quid going to the real victim in all of this. Bet up while doing his job.

This is my point.
    Horrible sh1tty 'respectable' 'right side of history' people just like Lucy and quite a few posters on here.
    People like Lucy and indeed Hazel Chu and Brid Smith and Ebun Joseph and Paul Murphy etc could not give two shiny fcks about facts or due diligence or logic.
    They are ideologically committed to identity politics hence the immediate irrational cries of racism and incitement and anything that gets in the way of that narrative is fair game.
    Even real fundraisers for an actual victim of criminal violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wayne’s Fundraiser has caught a good bit of momentum the last hour or so. €4,300 and counting. I’ll throw in a tenner for the lad myself, deserves to not be forgotten about in all of this, not matter what’s gone on afterwards.

Fair play to anyone who chipped in for the victim on this. The gofundme is genuine and the lady who set it up is real and genuine and can be contacted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Burkie1203 wrote: »

While they are making demands, can we see their own video in which they claim he was lying on the ground with a butter knife when he was shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

So what you're saying is your happy for scum, thugs, criminals etc to be allowed come here and have no consequences for their thuggish actions.....

This is not on and I'm all for deporting such scum.

I agree with you but it has nothing to do with 1916

I really do despair for the way society has gone with this whole wokeness and political correctness. It seems that we have gone from the situation where people of minority were discriminated against, to a point where people of minority have a shield around them where they are never held accountable for their actions.And the media have been shameful in their pandering to this.

Equality is treating everybody the same no matter what their background. Equality is NOT turning a blind eye to bad behaviour by people of minority.

Wish we'd all wake up ffs, imagine having the balls to sat up a go fund me effort for a criminal who destroyed a guys face, attempted to kill one of our gardai, wish thede bloody morons thought of the poor ppl dying on our streets, homeless?
    These woke clowns don't think of our own but jump at the chance to glorify a criminal

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    yes , the " far right " ( three men and a dog ) is what we should be concerned about here , not the threat publicly on a serving guards life ?

You know, it's possible to be concerned about more than one thing at a time.

Shocking stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement