Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    "Why in this case"

Eh because if he didn't fire his weapon he would be dead now probably.

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1344344887894933505?s=19

This gobshîte only opens her mouth to switch feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Well when I listened to it I'm hearing

"I want them dead, whoever he was that shot him"

I'm sorry if I offend you or if you think it's inflammatory, but thats the exact wording I am hearing when I listened to it several times. I dont watch it when I'm listening to avoid allowing words on the screen into my head.

The word is very clearly ''that'' not ''them'', even if one could not make out the consonant - which one can. That. Listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lumen wrote: »
    It's great that you haven't experienced frequent and pernicious racism where you live, but that doesn't discount the possibly that other people living in other places have done.

Also, you are both acknowledging that racism is used here, and at the same time saying that's it's not a racist country, but the accounts of racism I've read from Irish born black people haven't included the statement that "this is a racist country", they've just been relating their own personal experiences, which you seem to acknowledge are possible.

So I don't think there's really that much of a gap here.

Racism exists everywhere, including here, and we should not tolerate it. Do you disagree?

There

Is

No

Evidence

The

Gardai

Were

Anyway

Racist.

You're normally a sane poster Lumen but you've lost the plot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

fisgon wrote: »
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the thing, the guy had mental health issues (which would explain his bizarre behaviour).

Evidence? Or is this just something you read on FB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

dodzy wrote: »
    This gobshîte only opens her mouth to switch feet.

Oh dear, I shouldn't laugh :) I know this is a terrible and serious case but I am definitely stealing that. It is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Amazing how no political party have not come out in support of the gardai. The government should be supporting the actions of our law enforcers especially when you see the kind of scumbag they had to deal with.
    Really see bad times ahead unless the politicians and local representatives don't start to condemn and authorize actions against these hate spreading wannabe boyz in the hood types. Be interesting to see how far these so called marches are let go.

Because they are all spineless rats, same as the media here...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »
    There

Is

No

Evidence

The

Gardai

Were

Anyway

Racist..
    I agree. I haven't said that they were.

Well when I listened to it I'm hearing

"I want them dead, whoever he was that shot him"

I'm sorry if I offend you or if you think it's inflammatory, but thats the exact wording I am hearing when I listened to it several times. I dont watch it when I'm listening to avoid allowing words on the screen into my head.

But the first time you watched it you read the subtitles. That's how this disinformation works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGurk_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

It's great that you haven't experienced frequent and pernicious racism where you live, but that doesn't discount the possibly that other people living in other places have done.

Also, you are both acknowledging that racism is used here, and at the same time saying that's it's not a racist country, but the accounts of racism I've read from Irish born black people haven't included the statement that "this is a racist country", they've just been relating their own personal experiences, which you seem to acknowledge are possible.

So I don't think there's really that much of a gap here.

Racism exists everywhere, including here, and we should not tolerate it. Do you disagree?
    Ebun Joseph has used them words.... ireland as a whole is a racist country, have a check on twitter plenty of tweets saying ireland is racists, one I remember ireland is the racist country in Europe, of course racism exists in this country I've said that in my last post but I'll say again as a whole ireland isn't a racist country, come here work hard integrate and life can be great. Of course we as a couple had our issues but life goes on, I don't want to play the victim life is to short, life's not a bed of roses for anyone it's what you make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its sad they dont see how pathetic they are that they default to copying US or UK ghetto culture and slang.

They look up to victim complex rappers, whitey and the cops are the enemy narrative. That's fine if you're in the States, here they have had everything handed to them and judging by the fine expensive clothes, never saw a hungry day in their lives in Ireland.

The brother is imagining himself as a Black Panther now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The gardai cannot allow for any riot to take place on sunday.

For a front door of a police station to be allowed to be stormed like we saw on friday is unprecedented.

I understand they wished to step back to not stoke flames further but days have now passed.
    The location of the protest was chosen by the protestors and is confrontational.

Gardai need to erect a cordon around the station and any breaches need to be dealt with and people arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Transposing the Black Lives Matter playbook onto / into Ireland does us as a country a great disservice. It's not only utterly unwarranted, but will serve only to sew seeds of division along racial lines going forward.

A perpetual sh1tshow and a concerted pushback against values and customs we've long held dear is an awful, awful return for welcoming others into our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think his brother is actually smart enough to realise he could get himself into trouble by threatening the life of a guard so he has used these cryptic words like "fed" and "contract terminated" this guy was threatening that guards life and it had nothing to do with just wanting to get him fired.
    Yes he may be grieving his brother, but allowing something like this could set a dangerous president, he should be arrested ASAP IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Garda sources have confirmed Mr Nkencho was known to suffer from mental illness and that officers have been called to the house several times to deal with “mental health and domestic issues”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jesus Christ. Between this and everything else will they ever fcuk off to the USA. Be easier than trying to impose American culture on us here.

No, we have to change our culture to suit them and apparently that's called strength through diversity.

Ireland was fine before mass immigration. They can accept it as it is or find somewhere else to go that they prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tweet

Foreword: Im mocking Coppinfart here, not what happened. Because clearly rational thought left the nation sometime around 1960.

IxCeICGl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Transposing the Black Lives Matter playbook onto / into Ireland does us as a country a great disservice. It's not only utterly unwarranted, but will serve only to sew seeds of division along racial lines going forward.

A perpetual sh1tshow and a concerted pushback against values and customs we've long held dear is an awful, awful return for welcoming others into our country.

Yes the irony being that those who claim to be concerned with racism who are pushing this agenda on this particular incident are potentially going to be the cause of more racial divide into the future in Ireland.

Ebun Joseph has used them words.... ireland as a whole is a racist country, have a check on twitter plenty of tweets saying ireland is racists, one I remember ireland is the racist country in Europe, of course racism exists in this country I've said that in my last post but I'll say again as a whole ireland isn't a racist country, come here work hard integrate and life can be great. Of course we as a couple had our issues but life goes on, I don't want to play the victim life is to short, life's not a bed of roses for anyone it's what you make it.
    I don't know anything about Ebun Joseph and I try to avoid Twitter, but this mini-thread of conversation started around the personal account of one person, which was disputed. I remain open minded about the experiences of others.

I've no interest in taking sides. I predict that the outcome of the GSOC investigation will be the determination that the armed gardai response was unavoidable, mostly because I believe them to be well trained and motivated to avoid unlawful killing, but I also predict that (as we've seen already) the facts will be wilfully misrepresented by several types of hateful morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Amazing how no political party have not come out in support of the gardai. The government should be supporting the actions of our law enforcers especially when you see the kind of scumbag they had to deal with.
    Really see bad times ahead unless the politicians and local representatives don't start to condemn and authorize actions against these hate spreading wannabe boyz in the hood types. Be interesting to see how far these so called marches are let go.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GCraughwell/status/1345094470493212677

Never heard of him but I'm a fan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the thing, the guy had mental health issues (which would explain his bizarre behaviour).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-shooting-inquiry-will-look-at-graduated-use-of-force-1.4448355

Ah the auld mental health line again. I'm glad you said explain his behavior though rather than others which tend to try use it to excuse his behavior.
    Mental health issues. Bit of an overly broad term isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Evidence? Or is this just "something you heard from a taxi driver one time."

He doesn't have to provide you with evidence, who do you think you are? The Chief Justice!

But he/she is right it's on Newspapers regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

ED E wrote: »
    Foreword: Im mocking Coppinfart here, not what happened. Because clearly rational thought left the nation sometime around 1960.

IxCeICGl.jpg

She should be sacked immediately the idiot woman, in my personal opinion. Imagine her having further control of our country, we'd be all fully doomed.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

OK, I'll take your lack of defence as an acknowledgement that your words are indefensible.

Take what you want buddy.

Take what you want buddy
    Americanisms, eh? To which state would you like to be deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Ah the auld mental health line again. I'm glad you said explain his behavior though rather than others which tend to try use it to excuse his behavior.
    Mental health issues. Bit of an overly broad term isn't it?

The Joy could be emptied releasing everyone who had "mental health" issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

The GSOC review will find nothing. Most people who have sense will be aware the guy was a criminal and he was shot because he was a danger to the Garda and members of the public
    At this stage also some people are already aware of this but are stoking the fire because when the report does come out they will say it is white reviewing white, etc etc etc, he would never get justice etc etc etc.

Garda might as well come out now, say it was a good shooting. Deal with the certain people who want to cause problems and move on. Instead of waiting around months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ruth Coppinger is a good person and does good things for the community, but I feel she dropped the ball badly here. She deleted her post on Facebook and as far as I can see so did Brid Smith. Can't help but estimate they have lost a massive amount of support from the community by throwing the Gardai under the bus before an investigation is made. Its just a bad, bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Not exactly, some TDS have stepped up and made donations to the shop worker, others have stated to a certain extend that they support Garda and the difficult choices they sometimes have to make but most and rightly so have not and should not say anything until the investigation is finished.

It’s also difficult to support one side without being lumped in with actual racists and people that actually sit on the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I didn’t know that the Gardaí were qualified to diagnose someone.

The fact that there doesn’t seem to be a name for the mental health issues makes it likely that he was just a violent person. Like describing a child having a tantrum as having behavioral issues.

Really wish they would stop describing a machete as a knife aswell. It’s closer to a sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Mental health

When in a standoff if the person has mental issues then this makes the situation more volatile and dangerous for the gardai.

Mental health issues should be strengthening the gardai’s decision to shoot than take away from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement