Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish times:

“Nigerian government office calls shooting ‘wicked’; Irish Nigerians ‘extremely angry’”

If relations between Ireland and Nigeria deteriorated, would we be worse off in any way? I know we export a lot of Guinness to Lagos, but i’m not aware of any other arrangements we have with them.

Maybe they'd stay away from this wicked island in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not sure if this has been shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    "Why in this case"

Eh because if he didn't fire his weapon he would be dead now probably.

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1344344887894933505?s=19

I'm totally with the Gardai on this case and don't have a high opinion of Coppinger, but this tweet shows she's been misquoted in this thread. People have said she tweeted he had a knife, but was unarmed, which is a ridiculous contradiction. She tweeted that he was unarmed other than the knife. While this is a clear attempt to play down the fact that he had a very large knife and was trying to bury it members of AGS, it's a qualified not a contradictory statement. I think we should criticise the Tweet for what it actually says.

She's still indulging in wreckless grievance stoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Lumen wrote: »
    It's great that you haven't experienced frequent and pernicious racism where you live, but that doesn't discount the possibly that other people living in other places have done.

Also, you are both acknowledging that racism is used here, and at the same time saying that's it's not a racist country, but the accounts of racism I've read from Irish born black people haven't included the statement that "this is a racist country", they've just been relating their own personal experiences, which you seem to acknowledge are possible.

So I don't think there's really that much of a gap here.

Racism exists everywhere, including here, and we should not tolerate it. Do you disagree?

Regarding your last paragraph. I agree that racism should not be tolerated. It needs to be consistent though and apply to all races.

Accusing people of being racist when there is no evidence is not acceptable either.

This shooting for example. The narrative that has been created that it is racially motivated is unacceptable.

When the investigation is complete and assuming the Garda is cleared then I think a tough statement is needed from our leaders saying race can’t be used to get favourable outcomes. Worded much better than that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It was strange turning on the news this morning to hear RTE almost screaming down at us to stay at home and warning us of the 9,000 Covid cases in the coming days, and then they report that a candlelight 'vigil' is being held all over the country due to the death of a criminal thug bully. So I'm confused, can there be more than 10 people at these country-wide 'vigils'? And why are they allowed to publicly flout the rules that the rest of us must abide by?

It was also disappointing to hear that the Gardai are taking a stand-off approach to the reported cases of disturbances as a result of these protests; apparently we are told they want to defuse the situation. If white people are being racially abused and possibly assaulted due to the colour of their skin, then the Gardai need to act and protect the public. Standing-off to placate protestors, some of whom are displaying the same tendencies of the shot criminal, is wrong.

2020 has been a miserable year; 2021 is certainly starting off a bit surreal. The politicians who supported the claims that the Gardai were racist for saving their own lives have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    "Why in this case"

Eh because if he didn't fire his weapon he would be dead now probably.

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1344344887894933505?s=19

Does Ruth Coppinger actually believe the things she says or is she another Paul Murphy type cretin playing to the gallery?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ruth Coppinger is a good person and does good things for the community, but I feel she dropped the ball badly here. She deleted her post on Facebook and as far as I can see so did Brid Smith. Can't help but estimate they have lost a massive amount of support from the community by throwing the Gardai under the bus before an investigation is made. Its just a bad, bad move.

A good person would never have jumped in here with both feet so quickly to take sides, and to undermine the very people who are charged with ensuring we ALL can have a chance to live peacefully..

Her comments were very clear, thought out and devious..

Not to mention extremely dangerous and inciting!

Good person my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Ebun Joseph has used them words.... ireland as a whole is a racist country, have a check on twitter plenty of tweets saying ireland is racists, one I remember ireland is the racist country in Europe, of course racism exists in this country I've said that in my last post but I'll say again as a whole ireland isn't a racist country, come here work hard integrate and life can be great. Of course we as a couple had our issues but life goes on, I don't want to play the victim life is to short, life's not a bed of roses for anyone it's what you make it.

If this person said that then is that not a racist comment in itself? Can I for example say Nigeria is a racist county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lumen wrote: »
    Americanisms, eh? To which state would you like to be deported?

The etymology is actually British, colloquially “butty” (companion) in the coal mines.

Try again buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

walshb wrote: »
    A good person would never have jumped in here with both feet so quickly to take sides, and to undermine the very people who are charged with ensuring we ALL can have a chance to live peacefully..

Her comments were very clear, thought out and devious..

Not to mention extremely dangerous and inciting!

Good person my arse!

I think they were careless and hasty, why else would she have deleted them if they were so thought out? I don't think that makes her devious, but whatever.

• Advertisement

I think they were careless and hasty, why else would she have deleted them if they were so thought out? I don't think that makers her devious, but whatever.

They were deliberate, thought out and malicious..

No surprise with these people. Anti everything..

Dangerous people..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The etymology is actually British, colloquially “butty” (companion) in the coal mines.

Try again buddy.

Since you asked so nicely.

Screenshot-20210102-100027.png

They were deliberate, thought out and malicious..

No surprise with these people. Anti everything..

Dangerous people..

Ok, why delete them then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

She should be sacked immediately the idiot woman, in my personal opinion. Imagine her having further control of our country, we'd be all fully doomed.

When would she have control of anything?
    She is a mouth piece that won a few votes based on housing years ago, once in Dail she done f**k all and dropped all the poor people she dragged around to get elected. Rightly got kicked to touch in last election and no idea how the waster got into the Seanad.

It does bring back the question about the Seanad when you have wasters like this in it, it should be shut down now

Ok, why delete them then?

Ask her...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Amazing how no political party have not come out in support of the gardai. The government should be supporting the actions of our law enforcers especially when you see the kind of scumbag they had to deal with.
    Really see bad times ahead unless the politicians and local representatives don't start to condemn and authorize actions against these hate spreading wannabe boyz in the hood types. Be interesting to see how far these so called marches are let go.

This nonsense will hopefully peter out when these idiots get tired and are starved of attention. GSOC will conclude it's investigation and there'll be an inquest in the coroner's court both sometime before the end of the year. By that time most people will have forgotten it ever happened. It will be doubtless an open and shut case of a justifiable use of force.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guerillabear

Anyone have an idea of how long the GSOC investigation should take?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Irish times:

“Nigerian government office calls shooting ‘wicked’; Irish Nigerians ‘extremely angry’”

If relations between Ireland and Nigeria deteriorated, would we be worse off in any way? I know we export a lot of Guinness to Lagos, but i’m not aware of any other arrangements we have with them.

No. That's only positive news

Ask her...

You had a lot of answers but I guess this one got away. Fair enough.

18-24 months.

• Advertisement

Not exactly, some TDS have stepped up and made donations to the shop worker, others have stated to a certain extend that they support Garda and the difficult choices they sometimes have to make but most and rightly so have not and should not say anything until the investigation is finished.

It’s also difficult to support one side without being lumped in with actual racists and people that actually sit on the far right.

It's madness that people are afraid to do the right thing because they might be called racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

What I don't get is this... The brother on that tweet earlier talking about justice and death threats to gardai and at the end of it he laughs as it's a party with no visible sign of him distraught of the loss of his brother?. so how the feck can this guy stand there laughing at the end of his tweeter video on microphone with a smile and a laugh with his crowd?. ****ing bunch of gangsters is all they are. 'When we find him yeah' say's it all while he is happy laughing after the threat.

No you won't find him, because he is very well protected from you and your gang members and will also be fully protected on this Island.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guerillabear

GarIT wrote: »
    18-24 months.

Jesus. They’ll be campaigning for “justice” until then 😫

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I didn’t know that the Gardaí were qualified to diagnose someone.

The fact that there doesn’t seem to be a name for the mental health issues makes it likely that he was just a violent person. Like describing a child having a tantrum as having behavioral issues.

Really wish they would stop describing a machete as a knife aswell. It’s closer to a sword.

They weren't diagnosing him, they were confirming that it was known to them.

Why would a Garda source give out the details of an illness? And if the guards aren't qualified to diagnose you certainly arent either

You had a lot of answers but I guess this one got away. Fair enough.

Nothing got away.

I am not her. Only she can say why she deleted them..

Not sure why you looking to know, or why it is relevant here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

They weren't diagnosing him, they were confirming that it was known to them.

Why would a Garda source give out the details of an illness? And if the guards aren't qualified to diagnose you certainly arent either

The only "evidence" we have of this mental illness are claims by his brother and sister, who aren't qualified either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This nonsense will hopefully peter out when these idiots get tired and are starved of attention. GSOC will conclude it's investigation and there'll be an inquest in the coroner's court both sometime before the end of the year. By that time most people will have forgotten it ever happened. It will be doubtless an open and shut case of a justifiable use of force.

Leave them at it, chanting in the cold, no interaction from gardai it'll get very boring for them. Once RTE and co stop sending out cameras to cover them and a few hard frosts will send them scurrying indoors.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    If this person said that then is that not a racist comment in itself? Can I for example say Nigeria is a racist county?

She is openly racist against whites. Gives lectures to influencers on how to appear the victim and has been consulted by the gov before on race issues. She is a lecturer in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Investigation reports here. Maybe look for similar cases

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/publications/investigation-reports/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Really wish they would stop describing a machete as a knife aswell. It’s closer to a sword.

It’s not really closer to a sword. You’re just trying to sensationalise it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement