Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Kivaro wrote: »
    To be honest, and just from my own experiences, the majority seem to be always like this anyway. And for the life of me, I fail to understand why ..... based on what they receive when they are approved for asylum or leave to remain in Ireland. There are tens of thousands of Nigerians in Ireland; and I'm sure that some are not always angry.

Nigeria is not a good place to live. Massive poverty, over 18000 murders per year, Boko Haram, the list goes on. The Nigerian government need to clean their own house before criticising Ireland for shooting one criminal.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I actually had someone tell me on twitter that if I'm supportive of the IRA rebelling against their British oppressors in the 1910's I can't now be against the Nigerians rebelling against their Irish oppressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

StefanFal wrote: »
    That cop should be charged with murder.

Go on lets hear you're extremely nuanced and well thought out reason for that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

StefanFal wrote: »
    That cop should be charged with murder.

Don’t feed the troll.

Seems a lot of peoples trust in the Guards doesn't extend beyond what they personally approve of

That's not being widely reported, and anyone asked for it previously hasn't been able to produce it so I don't think it's a case of bias like you are trying to claim.

• Advertisement

Dayo93 wrote: »
    "The fact that Nkencho couldn't reach his dream of becoming a football player, Ibanu says, was at least in part because people of colour often have to work 'ten times harder' than native Irish players. Sometimes, he says, they exhaust themselves proving their worth to coaches and employers."

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/george-nkencho-a-friend-of-man-shot-by-gardai-in-dublin-talks-exclusively-to-hot-press-22837684

Absolute nonsense and victimhood, the amount of second generation immigrants playing is England is getting bigger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Let's move on folks, troll dealt with

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

GarIT wrote: »
    That's not being widely reported, and anyone asked for it previously hasn't been able to produce it so I don't think it's a case of bias like you are trying to claim.

Well the first person to reply just casually dismissed it with a 'what would the Guards know", and you liked that post and everything.

The politicians who tweeted blm and all that nonsense should be ashamed, its these leftist organisations that are going to create a hard right in Ireland, imagine you were those people set upon outside circle k or were trapped inside spar all because you were white in Ireland, imagine the guy who very nearly got pulled out of his van, this is where prejudice takes hold cos I am sure the community in blanchardstown are very untruthful and suspicious of the black community over this. Honest conversations need to be had without the left labeling racist at every opportunity, its the same with the travellers it is never sorted because an honest conversation cannot be had, rather than leaders from all sides sitting down and being honest about wrong doings on each side both socially and criminally and coming up with a workable plan.

I think the hard right is already coming. There has been a big swing of usually far left places like r/Ireland being firmly in support of the Gardaí. It's gone from from banning anyone mentioning any negative impact of immigration being banned to "This is diversity lol" being considered a well thought out and insightful post.

I know I'm going I'm going to be voting for anyone willing to say they will end immigration of labour not in demand as long as we have a housing crisis. If I have to tolerate a racist to get that so be it. I'd rather we could get along with the people already here, recognise that diversity and integration has failed globally and pull back on it a little. Still allowed EU movement of course and genuine asylum seekers but deporting after the first failed appeal instead of allowing 8 appeals and granting amnesty because they have been here 8 years at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ok, why delete them then?

Because of the backlash she was getting about the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I don't think any report that the Gardaí did the right thing is going to appease the mob. If anything they will call it institutional racism or something and say the report would have found it was wrong if the investigators weren't racist.

In fact the report might make concessions on better training or something like that even if it's not needed just to appease the mob.

I'm not sure if they should make concessions about better training because that would give the appearance that there was a failure in procedure

While I'm not aware of every single fact in relation to this incident it appears from the outside that it was by the book

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Grayditch wrote: »
    Nah, why you think she took it down.

Can’t know for certain..

My post, 4009 is a good call on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Seems a lot of peoples trust in the Guards doesn't extend beyond what they personally approve of

Who are these Garda sources? Untill someone with actual authority comes out and acknowledges that he did have mental health issues then this remains nothing but an unverified claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I wonder if they have ever watched football? Looking for a white player is like a game of Where's Wally but yeah racism stopped him from going pro.

Bohs and Waterford both signed a gang rapist of African descent. I don’t think colour has much to do with whether you get signed, more talent, attitude, application and determination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Anyone who goes into a shop and proceeds to break another person's face with a volley of punches has mental health problems.
    Okay.
    And now what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Why you are sending mixed messages? Do you want this March to go ahead because I certainly don't!

Of course I don't want it to go ahead, but do you really think Covid restrictions are going to stop them smashing up the main street and attacking people?

I guarantee that there'll uproar here tomorrow and the Gardai will be afraid to go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Dayo93 wrote: »
    "The fact that Nkencho couldn't reach his dream of becoming a football player, Ibanu says, was at least in part because people of colour often have to work 'ten times harder' than native Irish players. Sometimes, he says, they exhaust themselves proving their worth to coaches and employers."

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/george-nkencho-a-friend-of-man-shot-by-gardai-in-dublin-talks-exclusively-to-hot-press-22837684
    Another quote from the article

"Gardaí have said that Nkencho – who is reported to have frightened people in the local Eurospar with a knife – threatened unarmed members of the force, prompting them to call in the armed unit."

Frightened people? WTF?

Is part of the problem that, if someone says to you my friend/relative was wrongly shot by a Garda, its hard to say anything challenging without seeming like a bit of a dick.And, in some way, this difficulty is compounded when the person is black.

So you end up like Helen McEntee, saying Sorry for your trouble, like it was an episode of Father Ted.

I think the hard right is already coming. There has been a big swing of usually far left places like r/Ireland being firmly in support of the Gardaí. It's gone from from banning anyone mentioning any negative impact of immigration being banned to "This is diversity lol" being considered a well thought out and insightful post.

I know I'm going I'm going to be voting for anyone willing to say they will end immigration of labour not in demand as long as we have a housing crisis. If I have to tolerate a racist to get that so be it. I'd rather we could get along with the people already here, recognise that diversity and integration has failed globally and pull back on it a little. Still allowed EU movement of course and genuine asylum seekers but deporting after the first failed appeal instead of allowing 8 appeals and granting amnesty because they have been here 8 years at that point.

The left have actually created the right.

Its evident throughout Europe, to be a nationalist and patriot is now seen as racist. Germany who were very open over their WW2 history are turning and thats from the first wave of Turkish immigrants, what about the million Merkel left in 2 years ago. We are so obsessed about economic growth and wealth we have lost our national identity.

It says 17% of ireland population is born outside of ireland, however that stat does not tell you the naturalised irish or the second generation, I do wonder how much of our population is indigenous irish. The EU migrants do tend to integrate better, there was issues at the start but on the most part the polish, Italians etc I work with are grand and have the craic with you.

I think the GAA has saved us to a certain point, as much as I hate to say it, as they have embraced the children in the game. However immigration is only good in small doses, we are experiencing communities becoming nearly non irish, this is not good for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

This injustice to our country and our values should be nipped in the bud and dissolved immediately.
    The short-sighted hypocrisy of certain public representitatives is leading us down a dangerous unavoidable path.

This will only lead to further division (wasnt there to begin with) and distrust. Imo the family should be extradited from the state to set an example that this carry on will not be tolerated. You can't expect to gain trust and widespread following if you bite the hand that feeds you.

Its evident throughout Europe, to be a nationalist and patriot is now seen as racist. Germany who were very open over their WW2 history are turning and thats from the first wave of Turkish immigrants, what about the million Merkel left in 2 years ago. We are so obsessed about economic growth and wealth we have lost our national identity.

It says 17% of ireland population is born outside of ireland, however that stat does not tell you the naturalised irish or the second generation, I do wonder how much of our population is indigenous irish. The EU migrants do tend to integrate better, there was issues at the start but on the most part the polish, Italians etc I work with are grand and have the craic with you.

I think the GAA has saved us to a certain point, as much as I hate to say it, as they have embraced the children in the game. However immigration is only good in small doses, we are experiencing communities becoming nearly non irish, this is not good for the future

If there wasn't the huge response calling this racist and the racist anti-white mob terrorising blanch I don't think this would have moved me more right.

If people had of just shut up until actual evidence of racism was found I don't think there would have been a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Not sure if that was said but there have been influencers saying if he wasn't oppressed by white Irish people he wouldn't have needed to lash out at them or rob.

Oppressed....well there’s a lot of other countries he could have moved to where there weren’t white people to oppress him and he could have been a superstar! .......
    Instead he stayed here, acted criminally and viciously and brought his demise on himself for his actions not because of the colour of his skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Because of the backlash she was getting about the comments.

Most definitely this is the reason why these "progressive" politicians are deleting their reactive posts. They thought that they would be getting a lot of positive reactions from the usual "right-on" brigade, and in this instance it is just not happening. They got the pulse of the people wrong with this incident.
    But we should never forget what they said .............. and their accusations/implication of the Gardai being racist for protecting the lives of everyone at the scene.

no.8 wrote: »
    This injustice to our country and our values should be nipped in the bud and dissolved immediately.
    The short-sighted hypocrisy of certain public representitatives is leading us down a dangerous unavoidable path.

This will only lead to further division (wasnt there to begin with) and distrust. Imo the family should be extradited from the state to set an example that this carry on will not be tolerated. You can't expect to gain trust and widespread following if you bite the hand that feeds you.

We’d need Pritti Patel for that, not whatever bog snorkeller we have in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Kivaro wrote: »
    Most definitely this is the reason why these "progressive" politicians are deleting their reactive posts. They thought that they would be getting a lot of positive reactions from the usual "right-on" brigade, and in this instance it is just not happening. They got the pulse of the people wrong with this incident.
    But we should never forget what they said .............. and their accusations/implication of the Gardai being racist for protecting the lives of everyone at the scene.

They need to be reminded of their posts and words at every opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It’s going to be an interesting few years in Ireland now that brexit has taken place and the UK will be taking in far less immigrants. Ireland would seem like the best option left being the only English speaking country in the EU. Time will tell.

There were too many organisations set up and individuals who made it a career in Ireland to fight racism. There were all left struggling to find any racism to fight, so now they are doing anything they can to use this as an example of racism they need to fight so they can claim to be relevant and to justify their victim mentality.

Sure I've heard some of them called a black bastard but I've been called a ginger bastard more than that. Life isn't perfect. An Irish anti racism organisation reported that there was 79 racist incidents the majority verbal harrassment against an immigrant population of 600,000. That's great imo, we should be proud of that, not beating ourselves up about it and apologising for being racist.

They were housed, fed, educated, kept healthy and kept safe all on tax payers money that they hadn't contributed to before arriving but we're awful people when one of them commits serious crimes and swings a big knife at our Gardaí and are appropriately dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Irish times:

“Nigerian government office calls shooting ‘wicked’; Irish Nigerians ‘extremely angry’”

If relations between Ireland and Nigeria deteriorated, would we be worse off in any way? I know we export a lot of Guinness to Lagos, but i’m not aware of any other arrangements we have with them.

Nigerian government should probably focus on their own internal issues. There are a lot of Nigerians in Ireland and most (obviously not all) of them are here because they came here fleeing for their lives from persecution from their home country*.

Those people would likely not be alive today if Ireland had not offered them shelter. Because Ireland was obviously their one and only option for safety. Their own government would not, or could not, protect them. So they can fuck off now trying to feign some concern. If they had cared more 20-odd years ago then the deceased might be living happy and carefree in Abuja or Lagos. Away from the evil Irish and their oppressive regime.

So I think Micheal should be making a statement to this effect in response tot he Nigerian government ;)

(*at least according to most of the asylum applications filed at the time)

It’s going to be an interesting few years in Ireland now that brexit has taken place and the UK will be taking in far less immigrants. Ireland would seem like the best option left being the only English speaking country in the EU. Time will tell.

Seemingly they all want to go to the UK due to the large populations of their own country folk. I can see Ireland being a more widely used smuggling point but overall I can’t see too many of them staying here long term if UK is their desired destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure if they should make concessions about better training because that would give the appearance that there was a failure in procedure

While I'm not aware of every single fact in relation to this incident it appears from the outside that it was by the book

I think any reasonable person (presumably including the person who pulled the trigger) would wish that this series of events hadn't happened, and therefore it is reasonable to look for ways in which it could have been prevented.

I do believe that mental health services in this country are recklessly underfunded, and that there are systemic failures in the way that health, policing and community services join up to help people who can't hold their sh!t together and fall into cycles of addiction, homelessness and emotional turmoil (I'm talking generally, not applying any of these to George). I doubt those systemic failures are racist, as any wander around the city centre suggests that most f'ed up people here are white.

My point is that whilst George's death might have been inevitable given his choices and the limited options available to the Gardai, it is mistake to simply file this under "a dead scumbag is one less scumbag", not least because there are a lot of non-dead people with various complex problems causing low level havoc in their communities who can be nudged towards a better place with the right supports. Hoping for a more positive future and looking for ways to bring it about should not be seen as some kind of capitulation to lawlessness.

• Advertisement

It says 17% of ireland population is born outside of ireland,

So?
    You know people born outside of Ireland can be Irish right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement