Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bubblypop wrote: »
    So?
    You know people born outside of Ireland can be Irish right?

I think the point is that it's a lot. It's a rapid increase on a country that can't support its own in health or housing. And it is forcing a cultural change that the majority of natives didn't necessarily want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Bohs and Waterford both signed a gang rapist of African descent. I don’t think colour has much to do with whether you get signed, more talent, attitude, application and determination.

I wouldn't put it past Bohs to run with the BLM angle and take the knee, with Georges name on the jersey instead of the numbers, the works :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

GarIT wrote: »
    I think the point is that it's a lot. It's a rapid increase on a country that can't support its own in health or housing. And it is forcing a cultural change that the majority of natives didn't necessarily want.

The vast majority are English/Polish/Lithuanian who will integrate immediately or at least the second generation will be fully integrated.

So the 17% stat hardly relevant and scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So?
    But are they?
    Are you claiming that 17% are Irish people with Irish parents, just born abroad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

And I wonder how that work employee of Euro-spar is doing, It seems that he got a broken nose and slashed on the face, how is he and his family? Don't hear a thing about how he is doing from being attacked for nothing. In the Irish justice system you mostly hear how bad the criminal had a hard life, but you never much hear about what the victim has to go through. I hope the Euro-spar employee will recover from this.

That's typical in this country. We hear all the sob story stuff about the criminal having a hard life/the now ubiquitous "mental health issues"/addiction issues but the victim is just forgotten about.

The most some people get is maybe the chance to read out a VIctim Impact Statement (or their next of kin does it if they were murdered). These statements are vetted beforehand in case they say anything too mean about the poor little criminal :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wouldn't put it past Bohs to run with the BLM angle and take the knee, with Georges name on the jersey instead of the numbers, the works :rolleyes:

Right up their alley alright.

The commemorative shirts are already in production more than likely.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

nullzero wrote: »

One of the most corrupt Governments in the world that have cops who would shoot someone for looking at them criticising us over here.

You couldn't make it up.

So?

We are a small country, real immigration into this country started 20 years ago, I would put it at 70% irish at this stage and thats a Conservative guess considering massive birth rates of immigrants. Where will we be at in 20 years time? What country are we leaving for our kids and grandkids, by the time its grandkids the irish will be a minority and thats where it becomes really tricky if one or two other groups having huge birth rates suddenly get political power and ability to alter the constitution.

If you look at our so called housing crisis, why are we allowing in 50k immigrants a year but can't build 30k houses. Its already leading to a return of the 1950s to 1980s policy of building huge estates only this time it will be divided along racial lines.

Our education is struggling, our health is struggling and we are adding a huge cohort relying of council housing and as such medical card and education allowances. Who pays for this, us eijits and if we say anything we are racist. This is very similar to Britain and what led to Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I think the hard right is already coming. There has been a big swing of usually far left places like r/Ireland being firmly in support of the Gardaí. It's gone from from banning anyone mentioning any negative impact of immigration being banned to "This is diversity lol" being considered a well thought out and insightful post.

I know I'm going I'm going to be voting for anyone willing to say they will end immigration of labour not in demand as long as we have a housing crisis. If I have to tolerate a racist to get that so be it. I'd rather we could get along with the people already here, recognise that diversity and integration has failed globally and pull back on it a little. Still allowed EU movement of course and genuine asylum seekers but deporting after the first failed appeal instead of allowing 8 appeals and granting amnesty because they have been here 8 years at that point.

I don't post on r/Ireland (or any reddit) and rarely read it so I can't say whether it is or isn't predominately left wing. But being a leftie does not mean that one is in favour of the breakdown of society. Don't tar us all with the Trotsky brush.

What I find interesting is how so many posters here are literally moist at the idea of a race war or something kicking off. I can assure them that it won't. This will blow over.

Incidentally, I'm fully in favour in immigration. More young families and young people is good. I want them here and paying taxes when I'm retired.

Mimon wrote: »
    The vast majority are English/Polish/Lithuanian who will integrate immediately or at least the second generation will be fully integrated.

So the 17% stat hardly relevant and scaremongering.

Polish and Lithuanian don't integrate seemlessly, they do have their cultural differences. Poland for example becoming increasing religious extremist and far right, banning gays and abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Polish and Lithuanian don't integrate seemlessly, they do have their cultural differences. Poland for example becoming increasing religious extremist and far right, banning gays and abortion.

Banning gays?

The recent Polish election showed the majority of Polish in Ireland voted for the liberal candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

screamer wrote: »
    Seemingly they all want to go to the UK due to the large populations of their own country folk. I can see Ireland being a more widely used smuggling point but overall I can’t see too many of them staying here long term if UK is their desired destination.

I’d be interested to hear why you think they won’t stay here once they arrive. They won’t be able to enter the UK, so where do you think they are going to go to and why?

It’s going to be an interesting few years in Ireland now that brexit has taken place and the UK will be taking in far less immigrants. Ireland would seem like the best option left being the only English speaking country in the EU. Time will tell.

Most countries in the EU have excellent levels of English.

Nobody is coming to Ireland because we speak English.

We are a small country, real immigration into this country started 20 years ago, I would put it at 70% irish at this stage and thats a Conservative guess considering massive birth rates of immigrants. Where will we be at in 20 years time? What country are we leaving for our kids and grandkids, by the time its grandkids the irish will be a minority and thats where it becomes really tricky if one or two other groups having huge birth rates suddenly get political power and ability to alter the constitution.

If you look at our so called housing crisis, why are we allowing in 50k immigrants a year but can't build 30k houses. Its already leading to a return of the 1950s to 1980s policy of building huge estates only this time it will be divided along racial lines.

Our education is struggling, our health is struggling and we are adding a huge cohort relying of council housing and as such medical card and education allowances. Who pays for this, us eijits and if we say anything we are racist. This is very similar to Britain and what led to Brexit

If only there was some organisation that tracked this sort of thing: cso.ie

Excluding not stated, white Irish was 84.4% at the last census.

I don't post on r/Ireland (or any reddit) and rarely read it so I can't say whether it is or isn't predominately left wing. But being a leftie does not mean that one is in favour of the breakdown of society. Don't tar us all with the Trotsky brush.

What I find interesting is how so many posters here are literally moist at the idea of a race war or something kicking off. I can assure them that it won't. This will blow over.

Incidentally, I'm fully in favour in immigration. More young families and young people is good. I want them here and paying taxes when I'm retired.

I don't think the left is in favour of the breakdown of society, but some of their goals could encourage it if all the let's be nice to everyone and it will all work out doesn't work out. But I do think a lot of the left is twitchy to label anyone as racist who doesn't support unlimited integration, the Ireland 2040 plan to increas the population by 1,000,000 more immigrants or anything like that.

I'd prefer supports for working parents instead of importing children.

Any of the Irish kids born to Polish parents around me act like typical Irish kids to me. Your last sentence is a copybook strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

One of the most corrupt Governments in the world that have cops who would shoot someone for looking at them criticising us over here.

You couldn't make it up.

It reminds me of China & Iran attacking America for their treatment of minorities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Banning gays?

The recent Polish election showed the majority of Polish in Ireland voted for the liberal candidate.

Yep, ridiculous argument there from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The most some people get is maybe the chance to read out a VIctim Impact Statement (or their next of kin does it if they were murdered). These statements are vetted beforehand in case they say anything too mean about the poor little criminal :(
    The purpose of the victim impact statement is to describe the impact on the victim, not to rail against the defendant, but can and often does include criticism of the defendant as long as it doesn't stray from the facts established in court or that can be reasonably established independently.

In this case, though, the would be defendant is dead and so has paid the ultimate price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The continual failing of our health service and housing is a reflection on how bad our governments handle the situation.
    Without huge numbers of immigrants taking up posts within our health service we'd be in a much more dire situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

nullzero wrote: »
    Right up their alley alright.

The commemorative shirts are already in production more than likely.

Lambert would already have tweeted if he thought the support was there.....

Bohs used to be a big gardai club, probably knows which way his bread is buttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I've been reading about this George chap, seems a lovely guy. 30+ previous court appearance.

At the end if the day, it's **** that someone got shot. Black, white, , blue, green. At the end of the day he was a scumbag who attacked a guy at work with a knife then proceeded to continue this attack with the guards.
    If the person won't deescalate when faced with armed cops they are left with little resolve but to shoot, and ALL cops the world over are told aim for the center mass.

I've been reading about this George chap, seems a lovely guy. 30+ previous court appearance.

At the end if the day, it's **** that someone got shot. Black, white, , blue, green. At the end of the day he was a scumbag who attacked a guy at work with a knife then proceeded to continue this attack with the guards.
    If the person won't deescalate when faced with armed cops they are left with little resolve but to shoot, and ALL cops the world over are told aim for the center mass.

The 30+ previous court appearances is not based on any verifiable facts. Some far righter made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

cant understand why a family that thought so much of george did not do any thing to stop the situation that was right outside their door
    why did they not go out and talk him down. would it be that they knew that they would have got the same as the security gaurd or worse so they left him there to be some one else's problem take a bit of video footage in case they needed a claim

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

OP has been updated with a list of threadbanned users to date - do not post in this thread if you are on that list without mod clearance or you will earn yourself a one week forum ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Good to see the support still coming in for the victim of assault.

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?qid=f6a882ccacdfa1c39cb6053522a1f579

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we get back on topic - if you want to discuss the wider issues - this is NOT the thread to do so. I have deleted about 70 off topic posts and will be deleting more if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

You could probably just ignore the very small mob who were trying to turn it that way.

I agree. I would imagine that most reasonable people would look at this incident as a really s**t day for all concerned. The lad with Sean Thornton from the Quiet as an avatar posting rants about 'joggers' and the other lad from an affluent suburb, who doesn't identify with gender-specific pronouns, with 'ACAB' in his bio.... neither of these types are a majority of anything. But they'll get more attention than they deserve, because people like to feel outraged and indignant.

Good to see the support still coming in for the victim of assault.

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?qid=f6a882ccacdfa1c39cb6053522a1f579

How do we know if that's legit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

marknjb wrote: »
    cant understand why a family that thought so much of george did not do any thing to stop the situation that was right outside their door
    why did they not go out and talk him down. would it be that they knew that they would have got the same as the security gaurd or worse so they left him there to be some one else's problem take a bit of video footage in case they needed a claim

Well the other thing is the unspecified mental health issues, what exactly does that mean.

Most people with a mental illness are diagnosed with something. The fact that it's vague and unspecified would also make it less credible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement