Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Like so many others i have been angered and disgusted by the carry on of the black community in Blanchardstown over the last couple of days. Absolute disgrace and it must be stopped.

As much as they'd like it Dublin is not Compton, Brixton or South Central LA. The video of the man being confronted and threatened to be 'rushed' and beaten in his van reminded me somewhat of when the local black thugs surrounded Reginald Denny's truck and pulled him out and proceeded to beat him to within an inch of his life during the first few hours of the 1992 LA riots. That man in Blanchardstown was very close to being beaten live on camera by the rabid mob.

That could have been any of our families, friends or mothers hiding in that Spar shop while listening to deranged hate-filled black racists scream about killing whites outside while banging on the shutters. And later on pummelling a woman and a young lad close by like a pack of wild dogs!

Who do these people think they are storming through Blanch shopping centre roaring and shouting and threatening anyone who dares to make eye contact or stand in their way?

Or issuing barely disguised threats about terminating and 'finding' the guard involved in the justified killing of a knife wielding maniac.

Who do these scumbags think they are? They are the ones who will lose out over this as no rational Irish person will defend these actions.

It's not the guard who is racist but the very people screaming loudest about these perceived injustices are they themselves full of hate and anger towards our morals and our democratic principals. It has taken this incident for the mask to finally slip but it looks like this resentment had been building up for years and the damage done by the last few days (and who knows what still has to come) may be irrepareable.

The last few days have been stomach churning and It's time for the Irish state, politicians, guards, people etc to stand up and be firm and to not tolerate such depraved carry on on our streets again.

Apologies about reposting the entire post, but I just had to say that's the best post I've seen on boards in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭amacca

I think that the authorities and news outlets are doing the right thing in not giving them airtime or attention, and adding fuel to their fire.

I think letting people see what went on might lead to pressure on people in public life that should be standing up for what is right to denounce the horse**** that went on in Blanchardstown and deal with it properly instead of turning a blind eye letting it fester and get worse.....as has been the modus operandi to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

How do we know if that's legit?

I suppose we don't, at least the name of the organiser is consistent with someone from Blanchardstown.

If it is bogus, at least by proxy it demonstrates a level of support and a lack of tolerance for this aggresive behaviour being turned into a glory hunt by the racebaiters.

Would I recommend large donations? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Damien360 wrote: »
    I don't think RTE is helping Ebun but I do question her employer, UCD. If I held her views, which are racist, I would be very promtly fired as it would be deemed unacceptable to management and my fellow co-workers. As an employee, if you go on a platform with your employers details for all to see, the danger is you are speaking for the company in the eyes of all watching. So we either assume UCD is also racist or she needs to be removed from staff.

She can't be racist, racism requires a position of power and as a lecturer she isn't in a position of power where she could influence people because she is black.

And her critics are white and she is black so her critics are racist. No non racist person has criticised her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Thing is, unless you are

a- From the Blanch area, or

b- An avid user of social media

the bulk of the public won't be outraged. Why? Because they saw at worst a crowd of 200 ungrateful people having a protest on the RTE News, or stories of same in the main papers.

The protest outside his house, the throwing of fireworks, the siege of the Eurospar, the attacks on the buses, attacks on people near the petrol station, not one of these incidents was generally reported to the wider public by the news. Where it was reported it was buried deep in the articles

The same news that will publish video of some old alcoholic shouting abuse at non Irish people on public transport (completely unacceptable as that is, it shows the agenda, that that is newsworthy but the violence in D15 is not)

This.
    RTE News showed the 'peaceful' if pandemic ignoring gathering outside Blanch garda station and even had the time to broadcast a quote stating the criminal who was shot was a great guy and wouldn't hurt a fly.
    Yet, just a short while later (and you can bet the camera crew and reporter were still around) the shop where innocent workers were threatened and assaulted by the criminal was attacked by a similar group this time spitting at and showing actual racism to the shuttered workers and customers wasn't commented on.
    Ditto for the random racist attacks and intimidation dotted around the area.

How have the mass circulation newspapers covered it?
    Will Prime Time cover it truthfully if at all?

Next time you see that RTE self promo that they are the only truthful media in the State, think again.

• Advertisement

I don't think RTE is helping Ebun but I do question her employer, UCD. If I held her views, which are racist, I would be very promtly fired as it would be deemed unacceptable to management and my fellow co-workers. As an employee, if you go on a platform with your employers details for all to see, the danger is you are speaking for the company in the eyes of all watching. So we either assume UCD is also racist or she needs to be removed from staff.

they are probably afraid of her......quite an education for the what was it...social equality and justice department there, they should write a thesis about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think that the authorities and news outlets are doing the right thing in not giving them airtime or attention, and adding fuel to their fire.

The news outlets must be an arm of the State in that case.
    Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Let's see what the media report over the next few weeks. My bet is that this will be left die down and in a few weeks we'll have a piece on prime time addressing how the state has failed these individuals and what a hard life they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

GarIT wrote: »
    She can't be racist, racism requires a position of power and as a lecturer she isn't in a position of power where she could influence people because she is black.

And her critics are white and she is black so her critics are racist. No non racist person has criticised her.

I'm guessing the above is sarcasm. She has a platform that she can indeed be an influence. She has chosen a path of hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

amacca wrote: »
    Great post...my default position is live and let live but I really believe letting the type of ****e you describe go with soft touch policing or gentle slap on the wrist just facilitates scumbags becoming even bigger scumbags.....there would be much less problems if thuggish behaviour was clamped down on immediately with real consequences.....and instead of the consequences costing the taxpayer money Id be in favour of them costing the offender money......%of dole gone for a certain period, increasing for every subsequent offence, free legal aid is no longer free but mandatory and costs a percentage of dole after 2nd or subsequent public order offence........if the scrotes below say something like the age of fifteen are not in receipt of any payments then their parents who should have some level of control get the money removedand put aside for services for the child etc etc
    This is an understandable position but I think you're suffering from some confirmation bias. You'll always read on the news about the scumbag with 300 convictions but never about the kids that get into some trouble in their mid-late teens and then sort themselves out. It does happen, a lot, but nobody hears about it for a couple of reasons, not least that these kids have moved on with their lives and don't want to go blabbing about their former scummy behaviour.

It's totally sh!t that ordinary people have to suffer from the chaos bubble these kids drag around with them whilst they're growing out if the scummy phase, but I honestly don't think that harsher policing is the answer. We'd just end up with a massive prison population and a lot of hard criminals.

What's needed is an open mind and the will to find genuine solutions, but also a recognition that there will always be scumbags in a free society. There are several places (e.g. Singapore) where you can live crime free, but personally I value freedom and diversity more than absolute safety and state executions.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone that commits violent crime.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing the above is sarcasm. She has a platform that she can indeed be an influence. She has chosen a path of hatred.

Yes. That's the point. Her career is crying about being a victim of awful Ireland who paid for her PhD and pay her near €100,00 a year to tell us how horrible we are to her.

And she immediately calls anyone who disagrees with her invalid because they are racist for disagreeing with her.

She has also said that a white person can't tell a black person about the racism black people experience, which is maybe fair enough but she then goes on to say that white people have never experienced any racism from black people in Ireland.

She has demanded we teach black Irish history in schools. I loved the response "Paul McGrath was the best centre back of his time, Phill Lynott was half black and made some decent music. The end"

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guerillabear

I don't think any report that the Gardaí did the right thing is going to appease the mob. If anything they will call it institutional racism or something and say the report would have found it was wrong if the investigators weren't racist.

In fact the report might make concessions on better training or something like that even if it's not needed just to appease the mob.

I just don’t get why this mob needs to be appeased. Does our gov not have any balls? People like George and his crew are going to feel untouchable if concessions are made on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Kimbot wrote: »
    All cops are b*****ds

Obviously not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The protest outside his house, the throwing of fireworks, the siege of the Eurospar, the attacks on the buses, attacks on people near the petrol station, not one of these incidents was generally reported to the wider public by the news. Where it was reported it was buried deep in the articles

This, but again I'd have to argue that this is a cultural and regional snobbery thing as opposed to a racial one. The advent of two very specific websites - Dublin Live and Streamable - in recent years has really opened my eyes to the fact that some parts of Dublin genuinely do seem to be utterly lawless and because they're not well-to-do areas of Dublin where people such as political leaders, influential rich folk or media personalities tend to come from, the mainstream media (Irish Times, Independent, even Journal etc) completely ignore them.

There was a video doing the rounds at Halloween of somebody holding a gun on the roof of a building in the general Sheriff Street / Seville Place area (I forget which specific street it was) and having rocket fireworks fired at him from different directions and peoples' windows etc. This was in broad daylight in October so must have been pre-6PM. You frequently see videos of housing estates in which people are joyriding and subsequently firebombing cars, or vandalising peoples' homes, or setting fire to wheelie bins, etc etc etc - and none of this ever gets reported in the mainstream media. Ever. Unless it escalates to the point of someone being killed, it doesn't get reported.

Hell, a couple of weeks ago there was a series of extremely violent incidents in the East Wall area of Dublin's North Inner City - some of you may have seen the video footage, it involved one scumbag attempting to run another group over with a car, who subsequently attacked the car itself with clubs and other weapons. This wasn't reported in any of the mainstream media, only Dublin Live, but the videos were widely circulated on the website Streamable.

Contrast that with my own hometown of Dun Laoghaire, which is regarded as a posh area, and somebody getting a black eye in a fight outside Wetherspoons or IMC would probably make the broadsheet newspapers. Incidents like those I've seen so frequently on the aforementioned social media websites over the years? If they took place in my local area, they'd get a full front page spread with reaction quotes from politicians all over the spectrum.

Hell, look back a couple of months to when you had multiple politicians reacting to a video of a large crowd of people drinking in Blackrock - another posh area of Dublin from which many household names originate. Everyone from local councillors to the Taoiseach himself weighed in on that incident and immediate changes to the law were considered - this was the incident which sparked off the "ban takeaway pints during the level five lockdown" discussion a couple of months ago.

Drinking. A crowd of people drinking. Obviously during a pandemic that's newsworthy and absolutely deserving of the condemnation and political response it received, I'm not suggesting that it isn't - but there's something seriously, seriously wrong with how the media and political establishment operate, if an incident such as that can garner front page news headlines, and the kind of utterly lawless, terrifyingly violent scenes I've cited above from North Inner City areas aren't publicly reported on.

It all goes back to something people have been saying for many decades - areas of Dublin with concentrated anti social behaviour issues, generally those which were initially targeted by the first drug pushing gangs back in the 1970s and 80s, have been abandoned and left to their fate by the mainstream establishment. That's why there's this discrepancy in reporting of violent crime depending on the region involved - as I previously analogised, a fight outside Wetherspoons or IMC in Dun Laoghaire resulting in multiple people seriously injured would receive front page coverage, because Dun Laoghaire is still part of what so many see as "proper" Dublin. Whereas violent incidents in Sheriff Street or East Wall go unreported because those are areas which are "lost, beyond saving, sinkholes, cesspits", etc.

Essentially, some parts of Dublin have become no-go areas and rather than attempting to fight or oppose this, the parts of society which control the message and control the law seem to have decided to just seal them off. Out of sight, out of mind. But God forbid anything remotely bad happen in the areas the people in charge of the message call home - if that happens, the media and political establishments a like will go absolutely berserk and will not rest until something is done about it.

This is a serious, serious, serious issue for Dublin, and for far too long nobody has commented upon it - but that's probably because, as I've pointed out, until very recently with the advent of video streaming websites and so on, without any media or establishment interest in reporting these incidents, the vast majority of people who don't live in those areas would have been utterly clueless as to how bad things have become.

yep...the media has a lot to answer for they are failing in their role completely. unbiased reporting of what happened did not occur

Media are controlled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

TomTomTim wrote: »
    All Cops Are Bastards

Jaysus that's something from the 80s/90s I remember heads had it tattoo on their fingers,.

Lumen wrote: »
    This is an understandable position but I think you're suffering from some confirmation bias. You'll always read on the news about the scumbag with 300 convictions but never about the kids that get into some trouble in their mid-late teens and then sort themselves out. It does happen, a lot, but nobody hears about it for a couple of reasons, not least that these kids have moved on with their lives and don't want to go blabbing about their former scummy behaviour.

It's totally sh!t that ordinary people have to suffer from the chaos bubble these kids drag around with them whilst they're growing out if the scummy phase, but I honestly don't think that harsher policing is the answer. We'd just end up with a massive prison population and a lot of hard criminals.

What's needed is an open mind and the will to find genuine solutions, but also a recognition that there will always be scumbags in a free society. There are several places (e.g. Singapore) where you can live crime free, but personally I value freedom and diversity more than absolute safety and state executions.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone that commits violent crime.

I dont necessarily disagree with your outlook entirely although I am firmly in the camp that young antisocial thugs should get a hiding by rights....but I know thats not going to happen and I dont want an increased prison population or a more taxpayer money spent.

Im thinking there is a lever here to discourage this type of antisocial behaviour and the lever is the money that is given out....even a very small percentage for a first offence on a graduated scale for a period of time might focus minds.

just reduce or remove the money society gives you if you dont play ball at a basic level within that society, if you are young and stupid it comes back to you at a certain period in time when you commit no further public order offences..

there has to be some lever or consequences for being a scumbag imo

Haraldkare wrote: »
    A suspended sentence for the robbery alright. But they would have got him on attacking Gardaí with a knife.

He's have for a slap on the paw, like most of the knife attacks in Ireland,ffs just look at the various feuds and what they get up before our dooey out of touch judiciary, happening all over

I just don’t get why this mob needs to be appeased. Does our gov not have any balls? People like George and his crew are going to feel untouchable if concessions are made on this.

They like to keep quiet as do not want any heat on the wider direct provision scam.

A scam that is enriching a lot of people.

It's our national broadcaster duty to report on all serious matters not cherry pick

• Advertisement

I dont necessarily disagree with your outlook....I dont want an increased prison population or a more taxpayer money spent.

Im thinking there is a lever here to discourage this type of antisocial behaviour and the lever is the money that is given out....even a very small percentage for a first offence on a graduated scale for a period of time might focus minds.

just reduce or remove the money society gives you if you dont play ball at a basic level within that society, if you are young and stupid it comes back to you at a certain period in time when you commit no further public order offences..

there has to be some lever or consequences for being a scumbag imo

I agree on principal but lower incomes are linked to higher crimes rates. It might deter logically thinking people from committing crime but encourage other people to rob more after the money is taken off them. It might be effective for teenagers and child benefit.

The best solution is mandatory minimum sentences of 1 month per previous conviction held.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

yep...the media has a lot to answer for they are failing in their role completely. unbiased reporting of what happened did not occur

I would say whatever trust people had in media at one time is increasingly eroded.
    The media put their own spin on things however they seem to completely forget that pretty much everyone has a smartphone these days and when they receive videos from WhatsApp they will reach their own conclusions. When people see things happening online and don’t see it reported by the media they seriously start to distrust the media to report the news without an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Amazing how no political party have not come out in support of the gardai. The government should be supporting the actions of our law enforcers especially when you see the kind of scumbag they had to deal with.
    Really see bad times ahead unless the politicians and local representatives don't start to condemn and authorize actions against these hate spreading wannabe boyz in the hood types. Be interesting to see how far these so called marches are let go.

They are waiting for the facts to be known before jumping in feet first and making a total fking thick out of themselves like most on this thread - which is now nearly at 300 pages and is mostly filled with people ranting facts based on opinions based on 3rd hand information they read somewhere else on the same fking thread...jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

You should really consider applying a higher standard of proof than " I heard" . That kind of accusation is defamatory and risks bringing legal action against yourself and boards.

Put it this way I live in one of the estates were the brother and dead man lived, And anyone who lives in Blanch would confirm the problems people had in trying to get taxi home to Clonee Ongar Tyrellstown etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pmrozik

Polish and Lithuanian don't integrate seemlessly, they do have their cultural differences. Poland for example becoming increasing religious extremist and far right, banning gays and abortion.

Don't put entire nations into one bag, generalizations lead to nowhere.

I realize that moderator has asked for posts that are not off topic, so I'll add my own opinion on the topic as well, but I need to counter your statement.

So, since when are gay people banned in Poland as this is news to me? Abortion has unfortunately been banned, just the way it was in Ireland until 2018. Did that make Ireland far-right? When is a bid to protect the fabric of society deemed as far-right?

It is not okay to bash gay people, but it is also not okay to go spray paint Catholic churches. By the way, I am not Catholic and I oppose the Catholic church, but give people respect where it's due.

There are people in Poland who oppose the current abortion law, just as there are people in Ireland who oppose the current, more liberal, abortion law.

And what does integrated mean? About 50% of the people I interact with are Polish, am I integrated? I prefer basketball to hurling but unfortunately I'm vertically challenged and if this lockdown continues I'll be even more horizontally challenged. Thank God for New Year's Resolutions. Why would you care how much I integrate? I work, pay taxes, and go about my business. I love the city I live in.

As far as George goes, a criminal was shot by the people whose job it is to protect society. If it had been a gun instead of a knife, would we then try and figure out why 100 Gardai didn't find a better way to stop the man? And why is this even an issue of skin color? Are weapons less lethal depending on your skin color or is should the guy with the broken nose go and apologize to the family?

I'm an immigrant myself, but I suppose I do have a far-right view of immigration policy. If you commit a crime, you get sent back and get banned from coming in. Every country has enough of their own to deal with. This would need to be well thought out so that people don't get sent back for a minor traffic violation, but look at it this way: A guest comes to stay with your family and starts threatening to kill one of your family members. What would you do?

As far as where someone comes from or what religion they are, I don't care. There are all kinds of amazing people from all walks of life, but a criminal is a criminal no matter what their skin color. The protests are an insult to the Black Lives Matter movement. As someone here said, Ireland is not the US and does not have a history of police brutality, and also just as important, does not have a history of police officers being shot at traffic stops. I grew up in Canada and the US, and I am not surprised that cops shoot people as they are under constant threat - in the US that is.

So to sum up, huge respect for the Gardai men and women who protect us. They gave the man ample opportunity to save himself, but he chose otherwise.
    Anyone else think that this could have been suicide by cop? Something triggered him and he went off on a rampage.

I don't post on r/Ireland (or any reddit) and rarely read it so I can't say whether it is or isn't predominately left wing. But being a leftie does not mean that one is in favour of the breakdown of society. Don't tar us all with the Trotsky brush.

What I find interesting is how so many posters here are literally moist at the idea of a race war or something kicking off. I can assure them that it won't. This will blow over.

Incidentally, I'm fully in favour in immigration. More young families and young people is good. I want them here and paying taxes when I'm retired.

Immigration yes but not economic immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If he had a white face there would nowt about it.

indeed , its not actually the black community in ireland i blame most for the furore that has followed this , its the suffocating PC climate which has been foisted upon everything including the institution of AGS by overwhelmingly white irish progressive leftists

this guys death should not be viewed any differently to the death at the hands of AGS by any other violent offender but the poisonous creed of identity politics has resulted in death for a black person being utterly politicised , its the same reason yesterdays rally by those black youths in Blanchardstown was not dealt with swiftly and decisively , it should not have been tolerated in a normal time , let alone in a pandemic , yet the guards felt presurised not to intervene

the progressive left ideology views black people as perpetual and inherent victims , they of course view the likes of travellers the same and so any crime committed by black people or travellers can be linked back to the white establishment , these people are in truth deeply racist , they deny black people and travellers agency , view them as needing to be saved as they are unable to behave to a standard that the rest of us are expected to abide by

everyone should be treated the same by the state yet thats not what the progressives want , its insidiously divisive and getting worse by the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There's a whole range of solutions between jailing everyone and letting them run amok though. What other countries do is they hold the parents responsible and keep fining them for their children's contributions. If everyone knows that each instance of damaging behaviour from their child costs them a few hundred a pop, plus any damages, little angels are watched closely from the cradle up and neighbourhoods don't develop the out of control culture we have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

newmember? wrote: »
    They are waiting for the facts to be known before jumping in feet first and making a total fking thick out of themselves like most on this thread - which is now nearly at 300 pages and is mostly filled with people ranting facts based on opinions based on 3rd hand information they read somewhere else on the same fking thread...jesus wept.

Well in fairness the facts are there for everyone to see

1: this man robbed a shop and attacked a man with a machete.
    2: guards were called and tried to settle the situation
    3: when the guards couldn't resolve it they called a specialist team who escalated up to lethal force
    4: the man who had the machete is dead and now not so peaceful protests are been conducted in the local area intimidating and attacking innocent bystanders.

Those are the facts of the situation and our national broadcaster are a shambles at reporting it as what it is and that is blatant thuggery.

• Advertisement

newmember? wrote: »

How long are they going to wait to report on the incidents that happened after George Nchenko in Blanchardstown?

Im sure they will be along any minute now to tell us about the gang of black youths shouting they hoped white bastards would die? or the gang that went through the shopping centre etc

Then again I'm sure they wouldn't tell us about it if roles were reversed right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement