Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Akesh wrote: »
    If you don't agree with me then leave.. There you have it folks, the insane far left in a nutshell.

Meh, we'll just take in more welfare tourists to replace you, what could possibly go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭kirving

Lumen wrote: »
    The other relevance of the machete is that it plays into racist stereotypes of the black savage. Earlier in the thread someone drew a line to Hutu massacres in the Congo. I don't know of any genocides effected using butterknives.

Not a choice of language I would agree with myself, but large knife / small machete is the same thing really. There have been plenty of people killed with Stanley blades too.
    I am questioning where this "fact" came from and asking if it has been verified.

Attempting to argue the finer details, is deflecting from multiple reports had he did have a knife. "If he didn't have a Machete a machete then he didn't deserve to be shot" seems to be the goal of your argument here.
    So it wasnt a Machete then!

What, in Irish Law, defines the difference between a machete and other large knife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Why should I leave? :confused:

Because he's woke and according to people on the woke spectrum if you don't accept their misleading 'facts', studies or feelings then you are a far right nut.

You can just make it up as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why should I leave? :confused:

I’m not saying you should leave but that option is always open to anyone who has a problem with this country especially if they have little or no attachment to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I can only presume you say that to immigrants who don't like it here.

That’s a fact for immigrants in any country, don’t try to spin it in to some thing that can only be said here. If you come to a country you adapt and integrate and if you don’t like it, quite frankly you can **** off back to where you came from and won’t be missed. Countries don’t have to adapt to you and your cultures, you adapt to them or you can get the **** out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ah yeah cause he just did it for the craic like, even after being shot a few times he just wanted to keep playing the eejit :rolleyes: You see some simple things written here but that's taking the biscuit.

Forgetting the fact that he had a gun and took several shots at the police and they waited for DAYS trying to talking down, and he came out with the gun, refused to drop it, Gardai fired warning shots, then shot him in the leg, then were forced to shoot him.
    Then multiple enquiries said the Gardai were absolutely correct and probably too correct in their actions, and if they had followed their training instead of their compassion they would have killed him sooner.

The same with this case. Gardai gave the guy many opportunities to disarm and he didn't. He attacked people, attacked Gardai and was shot for it. And rightly so.

People are constantly looking for an out.
    Oh he had mental health issues
    Oh he was black.
    Oh he was an immigrant.
    Oh hes a poor misunderstood soul.

F*ck that.

That’s a fact for immigrants in any country, don’t try to spin it in to some thing that can only be said here. If you come to a country you adapt and integrate and if you don’t like it, quite frankly you can **** off back to where you came from and won’t be missed. Countries don’t have to adapt to you and your cultures, you adapt to them or you can get the **** out.

It was aimed specifically at one person, but thanks for your contribution all the same.

Plain and simple.
    Exactly as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is this narrative about a butter knife? What is the point of it? Is it merely a deflection tactic for some reason?

Wasn't there a video where the guards were slowly following him across a green and you could see that he had something substantial in his hand?

Even if it was a butter knife, it wouldn't change my opinion that the moment he lunged at the Gardai, swinging it, they had to shoot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Interestingly, attack dogs were recommended as a less lethal way of subduing. As ever I guess funding is a reason we'll never see these brought into use.

Can you imagine the headlines

"Irish police set attack dogs on black man suffering mental illness "

"15 irish police stood by as attack dogs tore lumps from mentally unwell black man"

Holy smokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What, in Irish Law, defines the difference between a machete and other large knife?
    Search for machete in here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/si/66/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not a choice of language I would agree with myself, but large knife / small machete is the same thing really. There have been plenty of people killed with Stanley blades too.

Attempting to argue the finer details, is deflecting from multiple reports had he did have a knife. "If he didn't have a Machete a machete then he didn't deserve to be shot" seems to be the goal of your argument here.

The goal of my argument was to question the "fact" being presented he had a machete. We saw earlier on in the thread how the narrative of having a machete was used to paint and portray him as more violent and of course as others have pointed out it also has racist connotations and overtones. It seems to me that the machete story was manufactured in order to present false narratives, in order to paint and portray a certain picture. Its a perfectly reasonable point to discuss. Noone has presented any proof of a machete but have tried to claim it as "fact". Its interesting though that when I question the narratives that there is a pileon onto me with all sorts of name calling.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So the takeaway is, if you're Irish and you don't like the direction the country is going in, don't attempt to affect change through political and/or democratic action. Just leave.

What an empty minded concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What is this narrative about a butter knife? What is the point of it? Is it merely a deflection tactic for some reason?

Wasn't there a video where the guards were slowly following him across a green and you could see that he had something substantial in his hand?

Even if it was a butter knife, it wouldn't change my opinion that the moment he lunged at the Gardai, swinging it, they had to shoot him.

This was a quote from his brother (the same man who was whipping the crowd into a frenzy on twitter yesterday).

The whole thing is BS, but in this post fact world its being treated as fact.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

So the takeaway is, if you're Irish and you don't like the direction the country is going in, don't attempt to affect change through political and/or democratic action. Just leave.

Who is saying that about Irish natives?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What is this narrative about a butter knife?
    It's the implement being used to scrape the bottom of the 'poor auld George, sure the créatur never did anyone a bit of harm' barrel.

• what’s today’s plan for the whole crowd anyway? Set Garda stations on fire, scare some more innocent people in shops?

Who is saying that about Irish natives?

Maybe review the last few pages. A ctrl+f for "Ryanair" might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The goal of my argument was to question the "fact" being presented he had a machete. We saw earlier on in the thread how the narrative of having a machete was used to paint and portray him as more violent and of course as others have pointed out it also has racist connotations and overtones. It seems to me that the machete story was manufactured in order to present false narratives, in order to paint and portray a certain picture. Its a perfectly reasonable point to discuss. Noone has presented any proof of a machete but have tried to claim it as "fact". Its interesting though that when I question the narratives that there is a pileon onto me with all sorts of name calling.

So if he was wielding a large knife that was not a machete was he within his rights to use it in the way he did?

There is also some conjecture surrounding the assault of the staff member in the Eurospar suggesting that it may have been an attack fueled by homophobia, how do you feel about that Joey?

Glazers Out!

• What is this narrative about a butter knife? What is the point of it? Is it merely a deflection tactic for some reason?

Yes, the defenders are using it to argue he was harmless cos he had a butter knife.

Another lie from them basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,341 ✭✭✭✭walshb

what’s today’s plan for the whole crowd anyway? Set Garda stations on fire, scare some more innocent people in shops?

Whatever their plans, they’re likely to be able to go about fairly freely to execute them! God forbid we challenge them or dare try to stop them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

You said earlier that it was important to know because a machete means he was very violent and the Gardai were correct to act as they did but a butter knife would imply they weren't correct.

It's been established that the reports and witness accounts indicate it was a large knife which would (by your own logic) show him to be very violent and justify the actions of the Gardai. Yet you're now changing your angle and digging in to claim the "machete" thing was manufactured to push a narrative.

You've clearly got an agenda or narrative of your own here and are being disingenuous about only seeking clarity to understand if the Gardai were justified or not.

I think you have made your point, and I understand it..

But it seems very very likely that he had a lethal weapon..more lethal than a butter knife. Would you be inclined to agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No. Its 'if you're Irish now, behave like it. That means due process, independent inquiry, criminal investigation of all the circumstances, not mob rule and not pretending the dead man was some sort of saint, that as a matter of record he was not'

I'm all for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Why don't you watch the videos and make your own mind up on what type of knife it is then instead of arguing the difference between a machete and butter knife. Either way George brandished a knife as a weapon to cause damage and not something to butter his god dam toast with. He didn't listen to the guards so things escillated to the point where he got shot. If he followed instruction then he would still be alive.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Why don't you watch the videos and make your own mind up on what type of knife it is then instead of arguing the difference between a machete and butter knife. Either way George brandished a knife as a weapon to cause damage and not something to butter his god dam toast with. He didn't listen to the guards so things escillated to the point where he got shot. If he followed instruction then he would still be alive.

Is there a video that is clear?

I haven’t see this...

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No. Its 'if you're Irish now, behave like it. That means due process, independent inquiry, criminal investigation of all the circumstances, not mob rule and not pretending the dead man was some sort of saint, that as a matter of record he was not'

I'm all for that.

That's not what I'm referring to.

Maybe review the last few pages. A ctrl+f for "Ryanair" might help.

If it’s me you’re referring to then I’ll spell it out for you.

This is not a racist country.
    People from all over the world have been welcomed here and looked after.
    If they come and constantly whinge and complain about our country or our laws then they have the options -
    (a) Leave - flights are cheap.
    (b) stay but stop whinging and complaining and obey our laws.

Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Is there people seriously suggesting the deceased had nothing more dangerous than a butter knife on his person? There is several videos circulating and no I won’t be linking them. If what I have seen is a butter knife it bears a striking resemblance to a machete. Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Actually its not irrelevant at all.

We have seen posters jumping up and down here about him having a machete trying to prove some sort of point about how violent he was.

There is a big difference between a small butter knife and a big machete. If he was threatening gardai with a machete then their reaction is understandable. If he was using a butter knife then its less understandable.

It does make a big difference.

Yes, it is relevant.
    That will be part of the investigation and we'll all get to know if the weapon this guy armed himself with was 6 inches, 12 inches or an I Can't Believe It's Not Butter knife.

Violence from that person is already established as an innocent shopworker ended up in hospital with injuries to his head.
    Now who told you it was a butter knife? The brother in a tweet or video, was it?
    Any inbetween on this or is it always extremes?

I'd love to know your opinion on the racist attacks and sentiments in the Blanch area over the past few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement