Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lumen wrote: »
    I have made no such argument. I simply said that carrying a machete was technically indefensible, whereas carrying a large knife was not.

Look, this particular rabbit hole started because Kevin Irving asked what the difference was in law between a large knife and a machete, which I answered with a legal reference, so I'll leave it here.

Carrying a large knife is still illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anti racism ads for ihrec.ie running on one of the Channel 4's this afternoon. Haven't seen that before.

First time I saw them was on the RTÉ player on New Years Eve.

• strandroad wrote: »
    It really is. Machetes are used as garden tools by the way, would any solicitor honestly raise this in defence?

Well, judge what happened was:

He went down to the spar to do a bit of pruning for them, but when it came time to pay there was a bit of an argument. Sure, it looked like a “robbery”, but really it was just an upstanding citizen collecting his fair wage. That security guard by the way did that to himself, the tapes prove it, but he burned the tapes so you may just believe me. So what this boils down to, Garda is that he was shot for being a mentally ill, black gentleman when all he was trying to do was give the Garda a quick shave for some extra credit on his barber exam.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Acosta

When those white supremacists are writing tweets that people have regularly been posting here, whether it was or not, a machete was always going to sound better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why on Earth should we risk a garda dog getting injured or killed trying to subdue this man? The dog has at least been serving a purpose on this country

I could see a few right-on vegan heads exploding in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kimbot wrote: »
    Carrying a large knife is still illegal.
    Not by definition. It depends on the circumstances.

Contrary to what some have posted, whilst a machete could be useful in gardening, it is still an offensive weapon in law and so you'd be an idiot to own one even as a gardener.

Do the trainee chefs in Cathal Brugha St. Still carry their knifes around?

This could be a terrible misunderstanding

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Contrary to what some have posted, whilst a machete could be useful in gardening, it is still an offensive weapon in law and so you'd be an idiot to own one even as a gardener.

Did you read the last link I posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Acosta wrote: »
    When those white supremacists are writing tweets that people have regularly been posting here, whether it was or not, a machete was always going to sound better.

Do you have any proof that the origins of machete narrative are from "white supremacists"? I'm assuming not knowing your history.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Do you have any proof that the origins of machete narrative are from "white supremacists"? I'm assuming not knowing your history.

Don't feed it

• Advertisement

Because that's the problem here.

Far right supremacists calling a long blade swung at a Garda a "machete", in the absence of facts v. chap swinging a blade at Gardai, getting clipped, and sundry people and vested interests making it a race issue.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Stanley blade or Swiss army knife would both be relatively commonplace in work trousers, but you'd be hard pressed to explain having them in a pair of shorts.

Especially if you can't get a job because I is black or such nonsense.

I've a leatherman and other tools in my car for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do the trainee chefs in Cathal Brugha St. Still carry their knifes around?

This could be a terrible misunderstanding

They generally don't assault shop managers and attack Gardai with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Evidence of the white supremacist angle please...

Glazers Out!

Kimbot wrote: »
    Did you read the last link I posted?
    Yes. It doesn't conflict with what I've posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

BattleCorp wrote: »
    They generally don't assault shop managers and attack Gardai with them though.

Come on now, the shop managers face got in the way of his fist. That was not assault.

Edit - no offense intended to the guy who was assaulted, I donated to his go fund me yesterday.

°°°°°

Yes. It doesn't conflict with what I've posted.

To quote your earlier post; "Quote: Lumen
    I have made no such argument. I simply said that carrying a machete was technically indefensible, whereas carrying a large knife was not."

To quote the first paragraph of the link provided;"Knife Law Ireland
    Remember you cannot carry a knife in public without a valid reason and this is strictly enforced by An Garda Síochána"

Need I continue?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Why are people engaging in a strawman argument with Lumen?

You can carry a knife if you are going hunting, fishing etc.

The guy that was killed carried a knife into a shop, assaulted someone in a racially motivated attack and was out on bail for assaulting an old woman.

Stop making excuses to justify your support for a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Love how virgin media news just now had no mention of these protests at all.

I'm fecking sick of being white in ireland, we get the ****e stick of everything and if anyone says anything about it we are racists.

Being a white male who earns good money means I need to apologise for this and guilty if I don't agree with thugs like this.

I’m a white male in Ireland who earns good money. I don’t apologise for anything other than my own errors. If you do you’re a fool. Only headbangers would try to force you to apologise for someone else’s crimes. You’d be better off not listening to them.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    I have made no such argument. I simply said that carrying a machete was technically indefensible, whereas carrying a large knife was not."

Remember you cannot carry a knife in public without a valid reason and this is strictly enforced by An Garda Síochána"

Need I continue?
    Again, there is no conflict here.

I wrote that carrying a large knife is not indefensible, because there is a defence to it. That's what defensible means.

The defence is having a reason.

Need I continue?

No point arguing as it doesn't suit their narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Because that's the problem here.

Far right supremacists calling a long blade swung at a Garda a "machete", in the absence of facts v. chap swinging a blade at Gardai, getting clipped, and sundry people and vested interests making it a race issue.
    What exactly might this 'long blade' be? A long blade is a clearly a very dangerous weapon, regardless of whether it's an actual machete or not.

Bizarre post that people are assuming this Extreme large knife/blade to be a machete, are white supremacists.. this bizarre twist would seem to indicate a few vested interests in your own posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

I wrote that carrying a large knife is not indefensible, because there is a defence to it. That's what defensible means.

Scraping the bottom of the barrell. Desperate attempt. You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Akesh wrote: »
    You can carry a knife if you are going hunting, fishing etc.

..... and lovin' every day?

°°°°°

What?

You aren't allowed to carry a knife for the reasons George Nkencho was carrying a knife.

You obviously didn't read anything in that link at all.

Then again, you can prove anything with facts I suppose.

Glazers Out!

What?

You aren't allowed to carry a knife for the reasons George Nkencho was carrying a knife.

You obviously didn't read anything in that link at all.

It hasn't been established what his reasons for carrying the knife were, that's conjecture.

It hasn't been established what his reasons for carrying the knife were, that's conjecture.

Oh I forgot, George was carrying a knife to butter his toast later in the day.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It is not surprising how some are weaseling into the thread with their conspiracy theories. So, if you think it's a machete, then you are a racist. If you think that it is a large knife, then maybe not.
    That is one way to deflect from the topic I suppose. Focus on the racists. The white racists.

Either way, I'm sure that the net effect of a large knife/machete was the same i.e. horror and fear, which was the reason why the thug brandished it in the first instance.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Was he going hunting or fishing? No.

The Gardai made the assessment that he was breaking the law by carrying the knife and informed him of such. That is how he ended up getting shot by the Gardai.

What part of this are you having difficulty understanding?

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement