Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I wonder what the rank and file in the Gardaí think about the reporting of this and also the political response. I have a nephew a Garda but haven't had a chance to talk to him yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How's the GoFundMe for the statue outside Blanch shopping centre going I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

The family and friend of Nkencho are demanding apologies and retribution of the gardai, have his family even apologized for the hurt and fear George caused to the shop staff and others ? The trauma that worker has after having his face disfigured and potentially scared for life ? Anything from his family and friends for what that chap went through ?

statesaver wrote: »
    I wonder what the rank and file in the Gardaí think about the reporting of this and also the political response.

The reporting is grand from what I can see, some of the politicians responses are disgusting, but hardly surprising, considering who was tweeting.
    Far more worrying is the fact that no garda management have come out to say anything about this incident. Nothing to back up their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lumen wrote: »
    Denial of what? I was simply making the point that there is a distinction in law between something which is by definition an offensive weapon vs something which is by circumstance an offensive weapon, a question which was raised by another poster.

I agree with everything else you've posted, apart from me being wrong obviously. :pac:

There is no distinction when it comes to knives. It's illegal to carry a knife unless you have a valid reason for carrying it, your reason must match the function of the knife and it's the discretion of the Garda whether your reason is valid.

I don't know why this needs to be pointed out again and again to you.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    The reporting is grand from what I can see, some of the politicians responses are disgusting, but hardly surprising, considering who was tweeting.
    Far more worrying is the fact that no garda management have come out to say anything about this incident. Nothing to back up their members.

Gardai will say nothing until there's an inquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The family and friend of Nkencho are demanding apologies and retribution of the gardai, have his family even apologized for the hurt and fear George caused to the shop staff and others ? The trauma that worker has after having his face disfigured and potentially scared for life ? Anything from his family and friends for what that chap went through ?

Nothing officially from family but friends of theirs, well SM friends anyway attacked the Spar threatening to "kill the white scum" who worked there for calling the Gardai. So they are unlikely to say a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They won't say a word while GSOC are investigating.

• The family and friend of Nkencho are demanding apologies and retribution of the gardai, have his family even apologized for the hurt and fear George caused to the shop staff and others ? The trauma that worker has after having his face disfigured and potentially scared for life ? Anything from his family and friends for what that chap went through ?

I bet they are. But I bet they’re not willing to apologise for what George did & it’s clear as there’s no intention to accept he was even doing wrong. Rather George is being portrayed as a good boy, who only did good things. Did I mentioned he’s a good boy? Very good.
    I wonder what the rank and file in the Gardaí think about the reporting of this and also the political response. I have a nephew a Garda but haven't had a chance to talk to him yet.

If they’re not disgusted they haven’t been paying attention I would wager. The only political response I’ve seen has not mentioned a word towards the gardai & rather takes the side of wishing George’s family wishes. Nothing wrong with that of course, but how they just talk about one side and ignore the other. I mean while George’s family gets named exclusively in these tweets - even the staff in spar one of who is in hospital - don't get a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

The Garda management cannot and will not comment until the GSOC investigation is complete. The politicians commenting are in the main councillors and not TD's. Ruth Coppinger has TD stated on her Twitter but she was voted out. The Dublin mayor is a councillor not a TD.

• Damien360 wrote: »
    The Garda management cannot and will not comment until the GSOC investigation is complete. The politicians commenting are in the main councillors and not TD's. Ruth Coppinger has TD stated on her Twitter but she was voted out. The Dublin mayor is a councillor not a TD.

Does that include Helen McEntee?

[url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

humberklog wrote: »
    How's the GoFundMe for the statue outside Blanch shopping centre going I wonder?

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/george-nkencho-commemorative-plaque?qid=739213b6eeb56900e08e5544866c228d

Nothing yet haha.
    Like we all know it's a scam by someone, but I laugh at the way they don't talk about having to get permission from the blanch centre to put anything it up. It's just like "eeh yeah we'll put it up" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

humberklog wrote: »

Being held up because people can't decide if he should be holding a machete or a butter knife in the statue.

Glazers Out!

Burkie1203 wrote: »

They should though, they don't need to say anything other than that the incident is being investigated by GSOC, and that members involved will receive counselling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Does boards have a mute system like Twitter does, where you can block out posts containign specific words/terms?

First up.."butter"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've contacted the Garda Twitter to commend the officers and especially the one that fired.

They train and train and train yet never want to have to shoot, he should be able to keep his head high and sleep well as he done the right thing and saved lives including his own.

Outstanding job and I wouldn't always be behind them as I've been done wrong by a few bad apples but it's not them all or anything near it.

Fully behind them and if I had to come out to support I wouldn't hesitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Some interesting reading there.

Amazing to think this is what the best of education can spew out......

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Normally true but they can still say something like "we are supporting the officers involved with approved systems" ie normal follow up support but this is AGS and we are light years behind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Is this for real ? It sounds too stupid to be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

That reads like it was written by an 11 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Blanchardstown Mensa Whattsapp group I take it?

Glazers Out!

Unfortunately this is the mental age of most of the thicks that are out there and causing the problems.

Why can they video chat in a group but I cant? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Same thing was going on when the stuff in cork was kicking off a while ago.
    I wouldn't pay much attention to it. I'm sure the gardai are aware, will take necessary precautions and investigate if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Didn’t know that all these “ doctors and engineers “ felt this way 😷

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You guys are idiots if you think that watsapp is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I honestly think that in a few days this will drift out of the news cycle, unless the BLM activists can either stoke up counterprotests, or there is some other event which sustains the story.

The BLM protests in the US were formented on bad outcomes at scale for people of colour who rightly have historical grievances. The causes of those outcomes are disputed but the outcomes themselves aren't.

In the UK there was enough anti immigrant feeling stoked up by Brexit that, coupled with historical symbols like slaver statues, there was enough to rally against.

In Ireland, whilst there is dispute about the level of racism experienced by black people, there is neither the death toll nor historical grievances of the US nor the anti immigrant feeling or symbols of the UK.

In that regard we're closer to an average EU country in terms of race relations. We don't have the hard core secularism or interventionist foreign policy of France, and neither (to my knowledge) big issues with radicalisation of Belgium.

I appreciate that some feel that our mainstream politicians are insufficiently robust in defining and defending some idea of Irish culture to which immigration poses a threat, but IMO this is a strength rather than a weakness, or has been to date. There's just not enough fuel for the fire, yet.

But who knows. I just hope that calm heads will prevail.

Unfortunately this is the mental age of most of the thicks that are out there and causing the problems.

They are obviously either not attending school or not engaged with the attempts at education that the poor teachers are attempting in the classroom. Bodes ominously for a future full of uneducated gangster types if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You guys are idiots if you think that watsapp is true.

How can you be so sure it's not true? I'm skeptical, but you're as bad as someone who think it's legit.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is this for real ? ...

Indeed, I wonder who the author is...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement