Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I've seen people on twitter trying to organise a Go Fund Me for this scumbag. Some people need their heads checked..

All this sort of stuff actually makes me intolerant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The amount of people and politicians coming out in support of this guy and making out like the Gardaí are in the wrong here is crazy. Don't get me wrong the Gardaí shouldn't be out murdering people on the streets. They should be trying to resolve these situations in a peaceful manner, and it looks like that is exactly what they tried. The killing is unfortunate but given what I seen and read, the Gardaí tried to resolve this in a peaceful manner and their actions were justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

JamBur wrote: »
    Different SF reps trying to escalate this on Twitter. Paul Murphy, trying to back track on saying that it was excessive force by the Gardai. Lynn Ruane deleted a similar tweet.

SF trying to score points from this situation. This is very, very wrong.

****ing LOL at SF getting outraged at this...

Hypocrisy thy name is Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,771 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They also appear to be blaming "mental health" issues as a reason to explain his actions.

This is another thing that's wormed itself in and it does a grave disservice to those with genuine mental health illness.

Basically anyone who commits a crime these days must have some mental health issue and thus they are not responsible for their action.

The exact same thing happened with the ADHD epidemic. Every parent who couldn't control their children got them diagnosed with ADHD. This again implies the parents are never responsible.

It's all just avoiding responsibility.

You are never just a thief or a thug now - you have a mental heath issue therefore you are not ultimately responsible for your own actions and by extension shouldn't be held accountable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I dont recall this level of outrage when Mark Hennessy was shot.

In that case, Jastine Valdez's body hadn't been found. For all they knew, she may have been alive in his car at the time. He was making stabbing motions with a knife, so they shot him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1874 wrote: »
    Well, from reading the thread, very much likes he got what he deserved.
    I'll be critical of the Gardai if need be, and have been, but someone waving an edged weapon (described as a knife or a machete) and refusing to comply (for whatever reason), in no way would I want to have to attempt to get in close where such a weapon can be lethal/fatal to try and stop someone who is potentially of big build or enraged or out of their mind from whatever medical complaint or off their trolley on drugs or having an episode, no one else should have to suffer the consequences.

Given what the Gardai had available, I think this is the best outcome in that no one else/other/more people were injured and not fatally.
    Neither am I going for the shoot him in the leg stuff nonsense, out of the question, especially in a tense situation where someone could charge at you without warning.
    It's possible the Gardai (armed units) could be armed with other more effective non lethal bean bag rounds (there's also other stuff) for shotguns which I think might be more effective at knocking someone over (from what I'm picking up from the thread, these might have been regional/ERU members who fired the shots and not armed detectives).
    That said, I think if one person is tasing this guy and thats not effective (which can be the case) then they would need to come in and hit him hard with something like a shotgun non lethal round, I'd still want someone watching my back or ready to come in with lethal force and do what occurred here, in the event a person was to charge and either stab someone or get a weapon off someone.

Personally, I'd rather not hear and am actually glad we wont have to hear their story in court and watch as they get off lightly. Also was unaware of whatever occurred on the LUAS which has come up, about time any scrotes got manhandled off.

The Gardai have 40mm baton rounds and there's videos of them bouncing off lads and him still standing there not a bother on him.

Here ya go...40mm baton round...no bother to him, there another video of this from ground level and he shrugs it off like he was hit with a Nerf gun.

https://youtu.be/5IboNnfj6Zo

Every force option has its limitations, some people think a bit of pepper spray or a taser and they'll go down like a Jenga tower...doesn't work that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

From personal experience, I am very confident in saying that:

A. She has never fired a handgun, or
    B. Never been threatened with a knife (and I wouldn't do it again, even with 15 friends in body armour)

Not that I'm happy to see anyone get shot, far from it, but as can be clearly seen in the video, the Gardai had no option remaining, having persued him some distance over time.

I don't even see how the amount of Gardaí present should change things. What does she expect them to do? Have the 5 or 6 Gardaí rush the guy and try and disarm him. If they did that, best case scenario, at least one of them is getting badly injured. Chances are it would be a lot worse than that and we'd be reading a story about how multiple Gardaí were seriously injured or dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

How will the media play this one?

They were all over the racism angle during blm protests and George floyd's death.
    Will they choose law, order and common sense or go into the land of make believe "everything is racist "

All eyes on the Irish times, the journal and the indo

Edit: the journal have named the deceased and closed comments.
    Opinion piece is being written as we speak I bet!
    Maybe a poll too: "is Ireland the world's most racist country?" "Have your say "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

sugarman wrote: »
    Nor the 2 armed lads that robbed the post office in Lusk a few years back.

Doesn't fit their narrative.

Indeed. Coppinger claiming a gangland figure has never been shot.

That's two there. Future Kinahan target Keith Murtagh was shot and seriously wounded in that incident.

Hutch had a friend killed in the 80s.

Shane Coates was shot and wounded by Gardai in Cavan.

That is five alone off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't even see how the amount of Gardaí present should change things. What does she expect them to do? Have the 5 or 6 Gardaí rush the guy and try and disarm him. If they did that, best case scenario, at least one of them is getting badly injured. Chances are it would be a lot worse than that and we'd be reading a story about how multiple Gardaí were seriously injured or dead.
    I guess she doesn't really care ,just looking for those retweets, glorious retweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I cant recall another situation where a young black guy was shot and killed by AGS. I can recall a few media reports of young black guys stabbing people though. If there is a trend, its not that AGS are on a racial killing spree.

I just hope this does not escalate or promote more young guys to carry knives, if they do, I hope they co-operate if armed AGS turn up.

Witcher wrote: »
    The Gardai have 40mm baton rounds and there's videos of them bouncing off lads and him still standing there not a bother on him.

Here ya go...40mm baton round...no bother to him, there another video of this from ground level and he shrugs it off like he was hit with a Nerf gun.

https://youtu.be/5IboNnfj6Zo

Even look at getting shot. People think a person gets shot and they stop in their tracks and fall to the ground. Sure that does happen sometimes but a lot of the time it doesn't and the person can keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Some scumbag was shot today while lunging at gardai with a knife. Good.

Some black scumbag was shot today while lunging at gardai with a knife. Racist.

Mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Careful now. Your legitimate post will get deleted off of here soon like mine was..
    Free speech - now hate speech.

Stick with the narrative or get deleted.

RIP to this fine upstanding member of society who was sadly gunned down while innocently buttering bread while making a turkey sandwich. I'm sure he would have turned out to be a lawyer or doctor or whatever else I'm told by MSM tomorrow morning.

Mod

Posts are indeed being deleted. Anything with racist undertones, personal abuse at anyone & uncivil attitudes similar to what you are ascribing to here.

Drop it, or it will not be just your posts removed from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

Did george even get a new to the parish article in the Irish times before his untimely passing.

I hope sorcha pollack does a retrospective one next week, sure it'll be the aul direct provision that sent him on the wrong path.
    It's our fault we don't hand out house keys on arrival at the airport.
    Please people lobby your local tds to secure more funding!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

All this sort of stuff actually makes me contemplate being racist.

It's made me agree with a number of posters on boards who I never agreed with before, on anything!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Irish SJWs have their moment. They’re delighted.

He deserved to be taken out. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's true but the serving Lord Mayor would do better than to publically muse on this before any official investigations. It's not a great look. Imagine being the Garda that was forced into taking that shot and you read this? Or even the already forgotten security man with the broken nose whose partner and kids are probably traumatised. It's a bad call in my book.

She should publicly withdraw her comments and/or resign. It's simple. 2 people went to work today, a shop manager who had his nose broken and teeth knocked out, another protecting the law abiding citizens of this country who had a machete swung at him. The perpetrator of both attacks went out with the intent to steal from and harm other human beings today. It's a pity he had to die but I have zero pity for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Whatever about blue haired or pink haired anonymous pronoun accounts on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram mouthing off with zero clue, every single one of those public representatives who have opened their stupid, ignorant, race baiting mouths should be up in front of their parties.
    The eye isn't only on the likes of Gemma O'Doherty, these 'respectable' goons are part of the same dangerous venn diagram of extremist sh1te.

The fckin neck of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not sure if this has been posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

A few days ago I was in the pub and I was wearing a t-shirt.
    A few years ago I saw a lad out in the middle of the pub.
    I was in a pub and he was wearing t-shirts.
    He was wearing flip flops.
    When I saw him I thought he was a clown.
    Then I realised he was actually a clown and I thought I was the clown.

Hazel Chu is an absolute thundering disgrace with her twitter post.

I gave the Green Party a preference in the last General Election. I emailed Hazel Chu, the Green Party and Neasa Hourigan letting them know what I think about her tweet and that I find it very hard to vote for a party that comes out in support of a violent criminal. It may not accomplish anything but at least I tried. I do hope she retracts and apologises for her tweet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's less than a 3 second gap. In between those 3 seconds he had turned to face the AGS again, then another shot was fired and then he fell.
    +1. People have watched too much Hollywood fare. Unlike in dramas people usually don't just fall down dead when shot. Unless a round enters the head or severs the spine it's usually blood loss and shock that takes someone down. Even a shot to the heart wouldn't always be "instant". If your heart stopped now, it would be around five seconds before lights out, nearer ten if you were laying down. Double all that with someone on drugs and/or adrenaline. Some people have been shot and not noticed it until afterwards.

I had a rellie who was shot fighting in the second world war who didn't even realise he'd been shot until after the engagement was over. They were rushing a German position and he stumbled when one of his mates bumped into him. Or so he thought. He got up and continued the fighting. Only after did he feel weak and had to sit down. Then he felt the pain(he told me it wasn't that bad, more like a burning sensation). He'd taken a round through the lower left lung. Likely a rifle or machine gun calibre so would pack a punch. It was that had made him stumble and adrenaline and the fog of war kept him going.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Jedward on the Twitter bandwagon too ffs, so many spreading misinformation before knowing facts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't even see how the amount of Gardaí present should change things. What does she expect them to do? Have the 5 or 6 Gardaí rush the guy and try and disarm him.

The 15 vs 1 gets some retweets I suppose.

Getting into a ground fight with a knife you then can't clearly see is suicide.

The Gardai can't get physical and then decide on it was the wrong option when one or more of them are stabbed.

They would be forced to see the ground fight through to the end, no matter the cost, because the armed Garda can't risk shooting at multiple people fighting. They've got families they have to go home to too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1344369111443402756?s=20

She's going with the guards shot him in the back angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Not sure if this has been posted.

It's amazing to think she is an academic. Her style of writing really doesn't reflect someone with an apparently advanced education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Irish SJWs have their moment. They’re delighted.

They've waited an age for the cops to shoot a black man. They're loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lougarden wrote: »
    Jedward on the Twitter bandwagon too ffs, so many spreading misinformation before knowing facts

What the absolute f... I suppose they've got to get some exposure now after their 10 minutes of fame.

537701.jpg

• Advertisement

The 15 vs 1 gets some retweets I suppose.

Getting into a ground fight with a knife you then can't clearly see is suicide.

The Gardai can't get physical and then decide on it was the wrong option when one or more of them are stabbed.

They would be forced to see the ground fight through to the end, no matter the cost, because the armed Garda can't risk shooting at multiple people fighting. They've got families they have to go home to too.

I can see why it comes to mind. 15 v 1 surely there could stop him another way. But once you think about it any way critically you realise anything they did would just result in several Gardaí being badly injured or killed. Even if they went in swinging battons at his hand, it is just so easy for him to move his hand out of the way and slash/stab someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement