Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Problem is the court system. Where i live there are groups of kids who do the usual petty stuff. Light bins on fire, kick over wheelie bins, break windscreen wipers or wing mirros etc. Annoying stuff but the Gardai get nowhere with it

The court/DPP won't impose a criminal record because they are 17 18 19 etc. It ruins their prospects. The parents don't give a sh1t. So they have free reign basically.

Fine the parents !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

In fairness who cares what she thinks?

I'm sure a lot of people do. She's legitimising the entire thing from blaming the Gardai to putting public lives at risk by gathering in large numbers at the worst point in the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Problem is the court system. Where i live there are groups of kids who do the usual petty stuff. Light bins on fire, kick over wheelie bins, break windscreen wipers or wing mirros etc. Annoying stuff but the Gardai get nowhere with it

The court/DPP won't impose a criminal record because they are 17 18 19 etc. It ruins their prospects. The parents don't give a sh1t. So they have free reign basically.

There was an understandable recoil to the abuse that happened in the industrial schools and Magdalene laundries. Some may argue that we have gone too far in the other direction

I wouldn't consider any of that petty, and it's exactly the kinda thing the Gardai should be busting heads over.

It's getting away with that "petty" stuff, that leads the scummers into more serious stuff, and they're much more brazen because the Gardai don't do anything about it.

There needs to be a serious, zero-tolerance approach taken to this kind of stuff. Its become far, far too common (and I mean it's become common across the entire country, not just in specific parts of Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Has she not already kinda called the Gardai incompetent and sided with the protestors? Perhaps I'm mixing her up with someone else..?

She is probably feeling the backlash. With immature reflection she might realize she was wrong.. or maybe realizing that at some point in the future that she is going to need votes and a lot of cross community support and votes... people will remember this.... this is a big deal.. she fûcked up, it’s going to be remembered, damage limitation time.

I’d vote FG before this chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

kravmaga wrote: »
    Very good point and true. However GSOC report may not be made public as there is no court case pending on this incident.

Page 6 of Todays Irish Times proves a very interesting read, tasers were deployed twice but did not work as a non lethal option.

See article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-shooting-inquiry-will-look-at-graduated-use-of-force-1.4448355

It will be made Public and there will be a coroner's inquest at least. Given the BLM element they will probably concede to another tribunal much to the delight of the law fraternity in this country who will drag it out for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I wouldn't consider any of that petty, and it's exactly the kinda thing the Gardai should be busting heads over.

It's getting away with that "petty" stuff, that leads the scummers into more serious stuff, and they're much more brazen because the Gardai don't do anything about it.

There needs to be a serious, zero-tolerance approach taken to this kind of stuff. Its become far, far too common (and I mean it's become common across the entire country, not just in specific parts of Dublin).

Could we not look at more community service ? When someone one lights up a wheelie bin for example make them clean the bloody streets for a few days.No court, no criminal record. Why do we always say we can’t do this in Ireland ? Our social solidarity is being eroded day by day as people become so enraged by the lack of action to address anti social behaviour and crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Level 5 lockdown. Numbers through the roof. Mayor of Dublin thinks its acceptable to go protest.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1345484856239779847?s=20

She's realised she ****ed up with the race baiting and has switched to "everyone is hurting but we need to ask serious questions" mode.

She should be stripped of her office for being a biased clown but i'm sure that would be racist or whatever so that won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm surprised there hasn't been any major violence or attacks against the Gardai with all the whinging and moaning. Guess the protesters are just fcuking lazy layabouts, all bark and no bite.

As an old lad my parents knew used to say about wasters - if there was work in the bed they would sleep on the floor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I'm surprised there hasn't been any major violence or attacks against the Gardai with all the whinging and moaning. Guess the protesters are just fcuking lazy layabouts, all bark and no bite.

As an old lad my parents knew used to say about wasters - if there was work in the bed they would sleep on the floor

I like that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Its not major stuff. Its annoying for people etc. So it's petty compared to drugs etc.

Fine the parents
    Withdraw social welfare entitlements etc

We are far too soft as a nation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

The New York zero tolerance solution needs to be employed. Fine the parents heavily/stop social welfare if the parents can't control their little ones.

Remember admonishing a 7/8 year old for throwing his McDs rubbish in a doorway in Dublin. His Aunt was with him and she said she would be back with the mother. Few minutes later she arrived and got in my face for having the cheek to tell a child to respect the area and not throw rubbish. Actually called me a scumbag.

I have a son the same age at the time and if he did that and an adult said it to him I would thank them and he would be grounded for a month. They really have no hope with parents letting them act like little cnuts from day one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Its not major stuff. Its annoying for people etc. So it's petty compared to drugs etc.

Fine the parents

One of the roughly 11 billion bleeding heart charities we have would step in and cover the costs involved and not a single lesson would be learned.

No judge is going to show the slightest crumb of leniency to anybody attacking a Garda in this climate.. firstly covid and secondly what happened to Colm Horkan and rightfully so...

For killing a Garda it’s minimum sentence of 40 years’ imprisonment.

Whatever you think of them... they protect the good from the bad in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

Strumms wrote: »
    She is probably feeling the backlash. With immature reflection she might realize she was wrong.. or maybe realizing that at some point in the future that she is going to need votes and a lot of cross community support and votes... people will remember this.... this is a big deal.. she fûcked up, it’s going to be remembered, damage limitation time.

Yep after the bandwagoning BLM woke nonsense which further splits the community she is supposed to be representing not to mind making the gards job all the harder.

And even trying to weasel out of it she still manages to not do that right and legitimise a public gathering in a level 5 lockdown.

Sometimes I'm amazed at the low standard of intelligence in public life, seems all you need is a set of brass balls and not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Level 5 lockdown. Numbers through the roof. Mayor of Dublin thinks its acceptable to go protest.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1345484856239779847?s=20

Still lord mayor.

Noone brave enough to call her out, I wonder why?

What a world we live in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

She's realised she ****ed up with the race baiting and has switched to "everyone is hurting but we need to ask serious questions" mode.

She should be stripped of her office for being a biased clown but i'm sure that would be racist or whatever so that won't happen.

I’m sure Chu’s future political aspirations are to become a TD. When she comes cap in hand to the electorate, she needs to be reminded forcefully and repeatedly of her self-serving and reckless intervention here.

That also applies to ‘Senator’ Lynn Ruane, Coppinger, Murphy, and Roderic O’Gorman, whose constituency is Dublin 15. As for Helen McEntee, I can’t see her lasting long as minister for justice. She’s clearly been promoted beyond her abilities.

Still lord mayor.

I’ll be certainly reminding people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is no such thing as a “shot to maim”. This isn’t GTA or Lethal Weapon.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-shooting-inquiry-will-look-at-graduated-use-of-force-1.4448355
    Speaking in general terms, Sheelagh Brady, of SAR security consultancy and a retired armed garda, says armed gardaí are not trained to shoot limbs “because it’s highly likely they won’t connect”.
    “If you have to shoot you’re taught to shoot at the target at its largest.” In most cases this is the torso. Gardaí are taught to shoot to stop the threat, not to kill, she says. Unfortunately, the outcome is often the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anything from Paul Murphy who was voted in "to break the law"??

Some of the public representatives getting vote in these days is baffling.

Coming home to roost rings a bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lumen wrote: »
    Jack Chambers is, in my opinion, an unimaginative little geebag who's only in FF because his daddy has party connections. If he's right about anything it's by complete accident. He's the Ryan Tubridy of FF.

Wouldn't know him from Adam but surely anyone can join FF? Well when I say anyone, you know what I mean. They probably have some form of "minimum" standard required for membership (in theory)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

kravmaga wrote: »
    Very good point and true. However GSOC report may not be made public as there is no court case pending on this incident.

Page 6 of Todays Irish Times proves a very interesting read, tasers were deployed twice but did not work as a non lethal option.

See article:

In that article it states that the guards were aware of nkencho, and had attended that address a few times over mental health and domestic issues.
    The guards don't attend over mental health unless there is a danger to people, so the family must have rang them for assistance, as they felt threatened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry now, but that Hazel Chu sure is toxic to many.

Must wake up yer man who sleeps for Ireland to let him know what his Greenie Councillor is doing here. Bet he gives two shts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

No judge is going to show the slightest crumb of leniency to anybody attacking a Garda in this climate.. firstly covid and secondly what happened to Colm Horkan and rightfully so...

For killing a Garda it’s minimum sentence of 40 years’ imprisonment.

Whatever you think of them... they protect the good from the bad in society.

Oh don't get me wrong if I was in charge and this lot attacked or killed a Garda I would love to execute them in order to save tax payers money. But EU members are not allowed execute so it would have to be a full life sentence, no release.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Still lord mayor.

Personally I find it galling when so many have been forced into making sacrifices that others are giving a pass because of political causes or their particular identity.

How many have been refused to be there for their firstborns birth? How many have had to stay away from a loved ones funeral? How many could not hold their lonely parents hand in a nursing home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Fine the parents

This keeps coming up. The reason we have fines of 200 euro at 10 euro per week is because social welfare is seen by the state as the absolute minimum that can be lived/survived on. So you can’t take social welfare without an outcry. CAB works against the big boys as it looks at your actual wealth and not just your income and therefore can be stripped. Court fines don’t look past your legal income so are not a deterrent for young scrotes or their families. It is not always the family that invites trouble anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BnB

100% she's starting to realise just how wrong she was in her initial ramblings.

Similarly, Brid Smith is getting absolutely hammered on FB. Her last rambling post that was quoted a few pages back is being annihilated. Over 10k comments on it the vast vast majority of which are calling out her BS.

I sincerely hope the people of Dublin do not forget this the next time these two are looking for a vote to keep their jobs. (and you can lump all the PBP crowd in with Brid as it seems to be an official party line)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Wouldn't know him from Adam but surely anyone can join FF? Well when I say anyone, you know what I mean. They probably have some form of "minimum" standard required for membership (in theory)

If you live in Dublin 15, your options are Varadkar, Roderic O’Gorman, and Ruth Coppinger. Typically, Jack Chambers is fairly anonymous.

When the next election cycle kicks in, I’ll certainly remember the reasonable manner in which he conducted himself here and his refusal to jump on the ‘woke’ bandwagon. I’ll also make sure that my neighbors and friends in the area are cognizant of the contempt with which O’Gorman and Coppinger hold the overwhelming majority of their constituents.

Damien360 wrote: »
    This keeps coming up. The reason we have fines of 200 euro at 10 euro per week is because social welfare is seen by the state as the absolute minimum that can be lived/survived on. So you can’t take social welfare without an outcry. CAB works against the big boys as it looks at your actual wealth and not just your income and therefore can be stripped. Court fines don’t look past your legal income so are not a deterrent for young scrotes or their families. It is not always the family that invites trouble anyway.

That's not actually true. There is a figure, I'm not sure what it is off the top of my head, but I think it's €180 or something like that, that is considered the minimum.

I know a chap that got done by welfare for claiming illegally. He was on the dole and has to repay it back from his dole. They reduced his payment to €180(ish) but they needed his written permission to take any more (he obviously didn't give that permission).

He'll be dead long before he ever pays what he owes, but there is scope for a fine to be forced upon people.

Personally, I'd rather see a situation where eligibility to receive a welfare payment has a requirement to have no convictions. Would be good if this also knocked people off housing lists, or if it can't be used to wholly remove a base welfare payment, was reason for all your secondary benefits to be suspended (rent allowance, child benefit, exceptional needs payments etc).

Would quickly wake up many people.

Although the child benefit needs to be stopped in general anyway. Leads to many situations where people are having children for the money, and have no interest in the kids. The kids then grow up to be like... well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Wrote a letter to the superintendent in Blanchardstown. Kept it pretty much non political and acknowledged the tragedy of the event.
    Thanked the Gardai involved for their role in protecting society everyday and mentioned how I have no doubt that public opinion is supportive of the Gardai in this instance.

I asked that the letter be passed on to the Gardai involved but I know and understand that it’s unlikely.

I’ve never been one to get involved like this, but I couldn’t help myself with all that’s going on and the ridiculousness of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement