Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BnB wrote: »
    100% she's starting to realise just how wrong she was in her initial ramblings.

Similarly, Brid Smith is getting absolutely hammered on FB. Her last rambling post that was quoted a few pages back is being annihilated. Over 10k comments on it the vast vast majority of which are calling out her BS.

I sincerely hope the people of Dublin do not forget this the next time these two are looking for a vote to keep their jobs. (and you can lump all the PBP crowd in with Brid as it seems to be an official party line)

2021.... with a simple click or clicks of a mouse the public can and will be reminded when the time comes... the opposition will hammer her to fûck if she goes up. As they should. She’s fûcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Meeoow wrote: »
    In that article it states that the guards were aware of nkencho, and had attended that address a few times over mental health and domestic issues.
    The guards don't attend over mental health unless there is a danger to people, so the family must have rang them for assistance, as they felt threatened.

Could it then be construed that there could of been a breakdown in communication and that more intelligence giving to the ARU could of effected a different decision to engage?
    I don't know. But could some of the Garda present let it be known that it was his own house that he was entering and that he had been involved in prior incidents at the family home that did not result in fatalities or serious harm?
    Maybe such information could of informed the decision of the ARU in stopping him from entering the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭amacca

Could it then be construed that there could of been a breakdown in communication and that more intelligence giving to the ARU could of effected a different decision to engage?
    I don't know. But could some of the Garda present let it be known that it was his own house that he was entering and that he had been involved in prior incidents at the family home that did not result in fatalities or serious harm?
    Maybe such information could of informed the decision of the ARU in stopping him from entering the property?

You have to wonder why the family didn't let the knife wielding son in.....or was that incorrect? They didnt appear to rush out to help him, try talk him down from an upstairs window etc

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Anyone else feel like we're starting to become second class citizens in our own country?

How on earth was there people locked into Spar for their safety, having racist abuse hurled at them, and it's not all over the big media?

This is insane. Was Ireland lost in a bet or something? Why does such an overwhelming minority have such sway over the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wrote a letter to the superintendent in Blanchardstown. Kept it pretty much non political and acknowledged the tragedy of the event.
    Thanked the Gardai involved for their role in protecting society everyday and mentioned how I have no doubt that public opinion is supportive of the Gardai in this instance.

I asked that the letter be passed on to the Gardai involved but I know and understand that it’s unlikely.

I’ve never been one to get involved like this, but I couldn’t help myself with all that’s going on and the ridiculousness of it.

giphy.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

What I am wondering is if he was simply trying to enter the house to the loving embrace of his supportive family, why did none of the family come out to reason with him to put down the knife?

It seems like the gardai had good reason to believe he might be a threat to the occupants of the house - not all families love each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

amacca wrote: »
    You have to wonder why the family didn't let the knife wielding son in.....or was that incorrect? They didnt appear to rush out to help him, try talk him down from an upstairs window etc

According to the brother they taped him out the sitting room window on their phones.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Beltby wrote: »
    According to the brother they taped him out the sitting room window on their phones.

As you do when your brother has swiped the butter knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭amacca

Because that's what I would do if a close family member was outside the front door of the family home???

It doesn't make a lot of sense, now if the guy was a physical threat then maybe I'd lock the door

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

giphy.gif

Not bothered if that’s the case. Fully entitled to write to state officials and I’m sure those who are rallying against the Gardai are also writing in, so why shouldn’t I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Have not read the whole thread yet. When I first head about this I looked at the RTE NEWS website, Irish Times, and the Irish Independent and none of the articles I read at that time stated anything about a violent attack on the shop assistant. Isn't that pertinent information? Doesn't leaving it out just create a vacuum where people can state 'he didn't bother anyone' or 'he wasn't a thug'?

giphy.gif

A bit condescending, no?

Fair play to the poster for the efforts at a time when the Gardai need to feel the weight of the public behind them. You can be sure it will mean a lot to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A post on facebook by a very well educated fella in his late 30s

......shot an unarmed black man. A knife doesn't count against a gun.

He's deleted it at some stage today.
    Is this the done thing now?

Realise your post gets no traction and erase, handy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I wonder have they handed those to the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Rumours going around WhatsApp a white man stabbed by a gang of black men in Hartstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PieOhMyOhMy

I would urge people to email your local Garda station in support as they seem to have been rightly shafted by those who are supposed to support them, take a bow Helen McEntee. I’ve sympathy for all but none more so than that brave gard who has to now live with taking a life, even though that was the absolute brave and just thing to do, I commend his bravery and brilliant thinking in protecting the life of himself and others but this **** show and lack of support on top of the trauma he must feel as too the other guards involved in keeping us all safe. I have contacted my local guarda stations to express my support when they have been so let down, also racism, my arse
    My thoughts with the victims of George followed by the gangs of idiots too

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

Hamachi wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin 15, your options are Varadkar, Roderic O’Gorman, and Ruth Coppinger. Typically, Jack Chambers is fairly anonymous.

When the next election cycle kicks in, I’ll certainly remember the reasonable manner in which he conducted himself here and his refusal to jump on the ‘woke’ bandwagon. I’ll also make sure that my neighbors and friends in the area are cognizant of the contempt with which O’Gorman and Coppinger hold the overwhelming majority of their constituents.

What was O’Gorman’s take on it?
    (Coppinger is irrelevant, as she is not elected).

Not bothered if that’s the case. Fully entitled to write to state officials and I’m sure those who are rallying against the Gardai are also writing in, so why shouldn’t I?

I would be familiar/friendly with the superintendent in my local station, and although I'm sure it varies from station to station, I always got the impression that letters like that were appreciated and often passed on to the relevant Gardai.

I remember i sent a letter (with a picture) before. Picture was just of a squad car with it's lights on, effectively, that i'd taken. fairly generic photo (albeit station-specific).

Letter wasn't about an issue as serious as this, but i remember being in the garda station about 6 months after i sent it in (garda open day, doing a tour), and the pic was thumb-tacked to a noticeboard.

schmittel wrote: »
    What I am wondering is if he was simply trying to enter the house to the loving embrace of his supportive family, why did none of the family come out to reason with him to put down the knife?

It seems like the gardai had good reason to believe he might be a threat to the occupants of the house - not all families love each other.

I'm sure that they loved their brother and son very much. It is a huge onus to have a family member that can pose a risk to themselves and others. They did not want him to harm anyone. They were in all likelihood hoping for him to surrender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

After the first shot?

Presumably the Gardaí put themselves in that position in order to prevent him from entering the dwelling? Again it boils down to the decision to stop him entering the property

Yeah, it appears that he posed a serious risk to the life of the Gardaí. But the first shot looks like it was to prevent him entering the property and presumably the reason the Guards were in close proximity to him was to prevent him from entering the property.

The Gardaí were trying to arrest him. That's their job. Arresting violent criminal suspects is what we employ police forces to do. If a suspect is trying escape arrest by entering a dwelling they are going to stop him.
    He made the decision to go to the shop with a weapon, he made the decision to resist arrest and led the Gardaí to the house, he made the decision to lunge at them with the knife and he forced the decision to open fire on the Garda who opened fire and killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm surprised there hasn't been any major violence or attacks against the Gardai with all the whinging and moaning. Guess the protesters are just fcuking lazy layabouts, all bark and no bite.

As an old lad my parents knew used to say about wasters - if there was work in the bed they would sleep on the floor

Unfortunately nowadays, if there was work in the bed, they’d demand a handout for a new bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Do what you want mate :)

A bit condescending, no?

Fair play to the poster for the efforts at a time when the Gardai need to feel the weight of the public behind them. You can be sure it will mean a lot to them.

If by "condescending" you mean a Garda is gonna imagine he is Michael Jordan as he "sinks a 3-pointer" in the nearest bin. then yes. I do agree lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rumours going around WhatsApp a white man stabbed by a gang of black men in Hartstown.

God I hope that's false. Anyone heard more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Sinn Fein's most recent ex member says All Guards Are Bastards. Presumably if that nutter who harrassed her a few weeks ago shows up roaring threats she will be calling Kitty Holland to come save her.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1344333070816710657

I sort of wish she was still a member, just so Mary Lou would have to explain why prominent members of the youth wing of a party with a realistic ambition of power think all Gardai are bastards.

In breaking news, all guards are apparently not bastards when you yourself need them. In Ashbourne and Navan anyway.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1345347379453698048

I would be familiar/friendly with the superintendent in my local station, and although I'm sure it varies from station to station, I always got the impression that letters like that were appreciated and often passed on to the relevant Gardai.

I remember i sent a letter (with a picture) before. Picture was just of a squad car with it's lights on, effectively, that i'd taken. fairly generic photo (albeit station-specific).

Letter wasn't about an issue as serious as this, but i remember being in the garda station about 6 months after i sent it in (garda open day, doing a tour), and the pic was thumb-tacked to a noticeboard.

That’s a great story! and I hope the superintendent I’ve contacted appreciates the show of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Unlikely, 1) it was a fluid situation triggered in response to the Spar situation and most importantly,

2) My understanding of the rules of engagement for the ARU is that under no circumstances do you allow an armed suspect within grabbing distance of a civilian. That alone is grounds to open fire, because at that point the present a credible risk to a third party.
    There was much emotionally incontinent wailing after Abbylara that the man's mother wasn't allowed to bring him cigarettes and a cup of tea, as if the ARU wouldn't be crucified if they let a civilian walk into that house and the situation turned into a murder/suicide.

he made the decision to lunge at them with the knife and he forced the decision to open fire on the Garda who opened fire and killed him.
    I think the first shot was before the lunge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nalz wrote: »
    God I hope that's false. Anyone heard more?
    Maybe a mixup as this is one as per the comments
    https://twitter.com/BluntMan____/status/1345486411290587141

If by "condescending" you mean a Garda is gonna imagine he is Michael Jordan as he "sinks a 3-pointer" in the nearest bin. then yes. I do agree lol.

Well I hardly expect them to frame it and erect a shrine around it now do I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is there people seriously suggesting the deceased had nothing more dangerous than a butter knife on his person?

One of the people suggesting that narrative has also previously stated on this very site that “it’s often settled people dumping their crap on Traveller sites.” So take from that what you will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement