Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Any word on blanch protests today? I've seen nothing.

Afaik nothing happened in Blanch today thankfully.
    The balbriggan protests are tomorrow though or today as it’s 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How is the shop keeper he stabbed?

No stabby stab
    Just a smashed up face. He has 10k on the go fund me. Well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He didn’t stab anyone in the shop.

Who did he stab or slash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I honestly have no idea. As I said it’s rumours for now. The 32 convictions and beating up his GF have no solid proof from what I can see online and from living in the area there’s no concrete proof.

I have been googling to try and verify the various claims about him. There was an attack in 2015 in Clonee where someone attacked their girlfriend and her father with a hammer. Location would match, but no names mentioned in the article I found so just don’t know if it was the same person or not. So until I see otherwise will continue to file it under hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who did he stab or slash?
    There is no evidence that he stabbed anyone.

I appreciate that you were just repeating something you were told..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115752460&postcount=556

... but there is enough misinformation being spread that it's better to check official sources or at least mainstream media rather than relying on hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I have been googling to try and verify the various claims about him. There was an attack in 2015 in Clonee where someone attacked their girlfriend and her father with a hammer. Location would match, but no names mentioned in the article I found so just don’t know if it was the same person or not. So until I see otherwise will continue to file it under hearsay.

Fair play to you, youd think that court records should be available and searchable on the web, or even local newspaper reportings, but maybe it's better overall if they're not, for the majority who would end up in court for minor indiscretions... Hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

Sad to see via gofundme that over 60% more has been raised for the violent criminal than for his victim.

Should be the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

tdf7187 wrote: »

"said a well-placed security source."

Anonymous sources and mainstream media leaving out the fact the shop assistant was physically assaulted ...it's no wonder lies breed so well on social media.

In fairness, whether he did or not, the shooting was still justified.

I appreciate that there are various people trying to portray him both as a saint, and a sinner, but at the end of the day, all that really matters is what was actually happening when he was shot, in regards to whether it was justifiable or not.

From the footage, and the way it seems to have played out, i would argue the danger was too high for them to not shoot him. Had he gone inside the house, he could have killed someone inside, and had the shots not been fired when they were, he could have killed someone outside.

Far too risky a situation to 'see what happens'.

• Advertisement

"lots of right-minded people in society think the dead man was a criminal when he was not."

When does one become a criminal? When one commits the crime or upon conviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"We are aware of and are closely monitoring social media. We have concerns about escalating racial tensions," said a well-placed security source.

"On the one hand, there were threats being made against the garda who fired the shots. On the other side, lies are being circulated about the man who died claiming he was a criminal when he was not.
    Kind of as I suspected, I still wouldn't discount him being a nuisance around the area, but most of the stories seemed exaggerated to a wild degree.

I hope this whole thing dies down, so the family can bury their loved one in peace, ...

wandererz wrote: »
    "lots of right-minded people in society think the dead man was a criminal when he was not."

We live in a society with a well established legal principle of innocent proven guilty in court.

The misinformation and outright lies spread on this thread and on social media more widely show exactly why this is important.

But sure, nobody wants to take responsibility for their part in that.

I hope this whole thing dies down, so the family can bury their loved one in peace, ...

It won't die down if the family themselves are stoking the flames. They need to make peace to find peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The fact that he did not have any convictions does mean the mental illness explanation, which I admit I would have been among those who sneered at it, can't be discounted. A breakdown of some sort caused by mental illness is at least a POSSIBLE explanation for his actions on the day.

The fact that he did not have any convictions does mean the mental illness explanation, which I admit I would have been among those who sneered at it, can't be discounted. A breakdown of some sort caused by mental illness is at least a POSSIBLE explanation for his actions on the day.

So he possibly didn't commit any crimes on the day?

Whatever the family and friends say, George probably wasn't a good enough footballer to keep up with the goalposts moving on this thread.

Here's video showing the level of violence exhibited shortly prior to the shooting.

https://youtu.be/VuTACZpmeqE

There was talk of a machete or similar type instrument being used.
    If it had been thrown with the force exhibited in the video then it could have landed in a Garda's chest head or other body part.

One can see them trying to diffuse the situation and then having to scramble as he attacks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Here's video showing the level of violence exhibited shortly prior to the shooting.

And some think he could have been disarmed or talked out of it, mental illness or not they couldn't take a chance on a lunatic like that hurting or killing someone, well done to the guards in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It does not matter what colour your skin is, if you commit armed robbery and do not comply with the instructions of armed police while you are brandishing a weapon, you run the risk of being shot.

Its sad to see a young man lose his life but HE put himself in that position, not the Gardai, not the ARU, he did.

Nothing but 100% support for the Gardai in this one.

• Advertisement

If it had been thrown with the force exhibited in the video then it could have landed in a Garda's chest head or other body part.

One can see them trying to diffuse the situation and then having to scramble as he attacks them.

I don't know what you're seeing in that video, but I've watched it a few times and I can't see anything prior to the sound of the first shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sad to see via gofundme that over 60% more has been raised for the violent criminal than for his victim.

Should be the other way around.

The victim’s gofundme isn’t up as long as the “funeral expense” one. 3 days vs 1 day. I’d imagine the victim will end up with more in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I said it here a few days ago that I was in no doubt this man was suffering from severe mental health issues. The way he lunged at AGS and brutally attacked Wayne in Eurospar from the accounts of Waynes co-worker.

Mental illness doesn’t give indemnity to one of facing consequences of their actions though. George was failed for sure, but not by An Garda Siochana. It would’ve started with his family, friends and at a state level the Health Service Executive.

For years the HSE have been cutting funding from mental health services. Take my home town of Thurles for example, staff shortages and the closure of psychiatric hospital in Clonmel meant people with moderate to severe mental health problems were bused into the town at 9am for medications and left to roam Liberty Square until 5pm.

A young school girl I know from nearby Drombane was assaulted by one of these St. Mary’s patients because she was laughing on the phone to her friend about something. The man who is in his 60s and well known to be violent came up and punched her in the face accusing her of laughing at him. My father was almost attacked by one of these patients because he was hearing voices he presumed was my dad. It got so bad that at one point Bus Éireann temporarily moved bus scoile services into the yards of the school. With Covid around, thankfully they aren’t bringing these patients into the town anymore.

“Care in the community“ is a scam to divert resources to other parts of the HSE (mostly admin) These people were institutionalised for good reason for the safety of the general public.

George was failed for sure, but not by An Garda Siochana. It would’ve started with his family, friends and at a state level the Health Service Executive.
    That's harsh, blaming family and friends for failing to treat his mental illness.

Also, it is not always the case that someone or something is to blame. Bad things happen even when everyone acts with good intentions.

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't know what you're seeing in that video, but I've watched it a few times and I can't see anything prior to the sound of the first shot.

Closer version here:
    https://youtu.be/ixexenO8ucY

Closer version here

But there's no sound on that, so you can't see the timing of the shots. And it doesn't show anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are the protest around that area still on going??

cause RTE (quite rightly) aren't showing them in the news

Lumen wrote: »
    But there's no sound on that, so you can't see the timing of the shots. And it doesn't show anything more.

"Here's video showing the level of violence exhibited shortly prior to the shooting."

It doesn't necessarily show any shooting.
    Is that what you want to see??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nalz wrote: »
    God I hope that's false. Anyone heard more?
    He was out on bail, he had 32 criminal convictions, how many more do you need.

I’ve posted my utter disgust at George Nchenko’s actions, his supporters and the politicians/leaders who have inferred institutional racism when there really was none. I’ve posted my dismay at the scenes of people barricaded in the shop and the hatred shown by marauding groups of young black youths. Also, I think the Gardai were well within their rights to do what they did.

However, if you could provide any actual proof of the above that would be great. How do you know he was out on bail? How do you know who many convictions he had? Why are you so confident in your assertions? Did you read a few WhatsApp or Facebook messages? Be honest.

If people are going to give out about folks making things up to push a narrative (ie the BLM stuff) then it’s only fair if they’re completely on the level themselves.

• Advertisement

It doesn't necessarily show any shooting.
    Is that what you want to see??

This is odd, because we appear to be watching the same videos but seeing different things.

The video with sound is the same as the one without. The one with sound starts with the first shot, more or less at the same time George swings his arms. There will be a slight delay due to sound propagation, maybe up to half a second, so the shot actually happened a fraction of a second before you hear it.

In any case, it shows nothing prior to the first shot.

What are you seeing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement