Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rumours circulating <snip>
    He only attacks people in shops and then attempts to butcher gardaí in his front garden.
    Do not post any such "rumours". Stick to verified facts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Like the notion that he was brandishing a butter knife?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I actually heard an argument off line from someone that the garda should have allowed themselves to be stabbed before pulling the trigger. They weren't joking either.

Well I was told the same thing once.

By a Garda.

Pity you weren't actually stabbed instead of merely having a knife drawn on you. Then we would have something serious to charge the man with. Instead it's going to be included in 100 different charges that he will 3 months for in the district court.

Hopefully the person you heard that argument from is merely quoting the Garda line as applied to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

wandererz wrote: »
    Question is, if it happened in Nigeria, what would have been the outcome and result.

My family and friends in Africa have said this outcry is all nonsense and the outcome was justified.

He would be shot on first sight probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Rezident wrote: »
    Good point. It would appear that many of them have been incited towards hatred and brainwashed by BLM propaganda. When we see BLM protestors in this clear-cut case, making false accusations of racism, and inciting people towards violence, it shows the true colours of some of these agitators, with their 'defund the police' nonsense.

It is divisive and does no good for anyone. The fact that they are using the deaths of others to promote their message of hate, just makes it even worse.

The release of the footage was a big blow to the blm race baiters.

Whoever took that video and shared it has done the country a massive service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Well I was told the same thing once.

By a Garda.

Pity you weren't actually stabbed instead of merely having a knife drawn on you. Then we would have something serious to charge the man with. Instead it's going to be included in 100 different charges that he will 3 months for in the district court.

Hopefully the person you heard that argument from is merely quoting the Garda line as applied to me.

That Guard must not be the brightest. Does he think someone in a manic state will only knick his colleague with the knife?

Goes without saying that one stab/slash wound can be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The release of the footage was a big blow to the blm race baiters.

Whoever took that video and shared it has done the country a massive service.

What footage was released?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The virtue-signalling and attempts to deflect and downplay the facts of this incident are frankly disgraceful.

It's everything that is wrong with Irish society today and highlights the issue with some people's obsession with social media and the skewed narratives and 'consensus' on those platforms (which increasingly demonstrate why they need to be regulated as this stuff increasingly seeps into the real world).

This was a violent scumbag who after attacking one innocent person, and threatening Gardai with a deadly weapon, met his end when he repeatedly refused to stand down in the face of armed officers and tried to attack them as well. There is no one to blame except him.

His colour is irrelevant except to those who find offence or - isms in everything or need to show how 'right on' they are or to try and spin the justified concerns people have about the increasing antisocial problems in certain areas into some sort of 'far right racist' nonsense.

This is not America! We don't have far right, or a history of racism of colonialism or race wars to contend with or apologise for. Stop trying to project and shoe horn the cultural issues and identity politics of the USA into this country.

I really do worry about the future. Not just because of incidents like this but the misguided easily influenced sorts who'll try to excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Haven't the foggiest who that "journalist" is but I noticed on that thread that people have another few examples of where he contradicted himself such as:

https://twitter.com/Paulius152/status/1345685292909531140

I notice that he likes the oul' race baiting saying that "If you cannot consiter the possibility of race being a factor in it, you need to look at the society you think you live in."

Ignoring the atrocious spelling for a "journalist". I'm not on twitter but perhaps someone should ask him whether he can consider race as being a factor in the Carraigaline stabbing. Not that I think it necessarily was, but to see whether he can "consiter" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

"On the one hand, there were threats being made against the garda who fired the shots. On the other side, lies are being circulated about the man who died claiming he was a criminal when he was not"

I know which one I would have as the headline....

It is great that it had been clarified, social media lies can become more than the truth.

My heart goes out to the family, can't be nice seeing all this happen in public.

The family are not helping things in anyway especially the brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perhaps this one:
    https://youtu.be/ixexenO8ucY

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

The footage of him lunging at the gardai with a knife

• Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The footage of him lunging at the gardai with a knife

That footage is conclusive proof that the Garda took the right action.
    Enough said. A picture paints a thousand words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this and it could well be true but this is not an official Garda statement, it's not much above hearsay itself.
    I'd seriously doubt Gardai would release a statement accusing all and sundry of being fascist and racist. They may stop all comms bar the absolute necessities so no confirmation of GN criminality or not may appear for some time from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the Gardai have said he had no previous convictions.

It appears there is a lot of disinformation on both sides of this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

NIMAN wrote: »

I think this has been clear from the get go. Extremists gonna extreme and try to make political hay from a tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Great example.
    Many, many more intellectual pygmies in positions of influence, will tell you it's not enough not to be racist.
    You must be 'anti-racist'.
    This is critical race theory - like all aspects of critical <insert here> theories, it takes normal phrases which every human knows and understands, uses them as the battle cry and changes the meaning to fit their theory.
    Anti-racism therefore isn't what most people think - anti-racism demands (only white people) suspension of intelligence and that every interaction you can think of is potentially or is racist.
    If you don't find something racist despite the evidence, facts, context then you are racist.

The above tweets are the perfect example. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's something off about that article. Its a peculiar statement to make by the Gards. Its one thing if he has no convictions but he is a criminal unless they're saying he wasn't responsible for the attack in the Spar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I actually heard an argument off line from someone that the garda should have allowed themselves to be stabbed before pulling the trigger. They weren't joking either.

The only way I can explain that is we are military neutral country for decades, our troops go on peacekeeping missions, we have a mostly unarmed police force, capital punishment is a thing of the past - a sentence of death still existed for killing a garda or elected representative or for treason until not long ago, corporal punishment is now a crime, bullying in the workplace and at school is beyond the pale. Boys are encouraged to talk about their feelings and not handle things with their fists. The overwhelming majority of boys and men have never hit someone nor would they absorb the shock and pain of a punch.
    Our murder rate is relatively low compared to other modern industrialized societies.

We are a changed society - masculine physical force republicanism is dead and gone while the most masculine institution - the Catholic Church is a pale geriatric shadow of its former self when youthful priests led the flock and brothers doled out punishments and buggery.

Unfortunately violence must ultimately be kept in check by violence and although rare in Ireland does require the use of lethal force.
    This reality is horrifying to most people who are sheep who would be helpless in the face of evil.
    Only a minority of a minority are truly violent - are comfortable with it or enjoy it - the wolves who prey on the sheep or the sheepdogs who live to fight the wolf!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gardai-had-to-shoot-george-nkencho-under-public-safety-protocols-wkg5vk6mf

This possibly explains why the shooting happened. According to this the family had a protection order taken out on Saint George. He did not live at the address and they have been called numerous to deal with disturbances.

Possibly their number one aim here was protecting the family who have had to take steps to ensure their safety previously.

While its tragic a young man is dead, I feel if he got into the house and killed somebody the same people protesting this would be protesting their deaths too.

This was not race related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There's something off about that article. Its a peculiar statement to make by the Gards. Its one thing if he has no convictions but he is a criminal unless they're saying he wasn't responsible for the attack in the Spar?

Well he wasn't yet convicted of the attack in spar. So technically he wasn't a criminal as he wasn't yet convicted of that crime.

It's a bit stupid though as he obviously would have been if he was alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I am not sure what the big revelation is about the previous crimes is?
    I doubt the Garda stood looking at him saying "right he is up to 32 he is fair game". It didn't matter if he had 0 or 2000 previous convictions. The guys was a danger to the Garda and the general public.

All these people jumping up and down as if he is now innocent because he had no previous convictions.
    At end of day he took a large knife, walked to a shop, attacked someone, all premeditated. Then when faced with Garda tried to attack them and other people in the area. After 2 hours of trying to calmly talk the person down and use non lethal options to subdue the person. They failed. The person still went to attack a Garda and was shot.

Good work Garda.

Why are some people apparently more concerned about a dead man being incorrectly labelled as having criminal convictions than images of the Guard being circulated or people having to be barricaded into shops for their own safety.

It will always come out whether or not those allegations were true or untrue. Not nice for untruths to be spread but they can and will be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Thanks for posting this and it could well be true but this is not an official Garda statement, it's not much above hearsay itself.
    I'd seriously doubt Gardai would release a statement accusing all and sundry of being fascist and racist. They may stop all comms bar the absolute necessities so no confirmation of GN criminality or not may appear for some time from them.

That's a fairly poor piece of journalism - no indication given as to who said any of the garda attributed quotes and in what context.

It is hard to believe it is an officially released statement from the way it is reported.

It's bad enough that social media has lowered reporting standards, without national newspapers doing so as well. Some reference and context to the statement is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

piplip87 wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gardai-had-to-shoot-george-nkencho-under-public-safety-protocols-wkg5vk6mf

This possibly explains why the shooting happened. According to this the family had a protection order taken out on Saint George. He did not live at the address and they have been called numerous to deal with disturbances.

Possibly their number one aim here was protecting the family who have had to take steps to ensure their safety previously.

While its tragic a young man is dead, I feel if he got into the house and killed somebody the same people protesting this would be protesting their deaths too.

This was not race related.

If this pans out to be accurate it's even more baffling then that the family would react like it was an unjustified shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The thing is, it's not an actual Garda statement.
    A bit like the machete/butter knife jibe that some posters seem to think is a gotcha (on either end of the extremes)

Well he wasn't yet convicted of the attack in spar. So technically he wasn't a criminal as he wasn't yet convicted of that crime.
    It's a bit stupid though as he obviously would have been if he was alive.

Well.......that bit might not necessarily follow........a few sob stories and might have got a slap on the wrist

Why are some people apparently more concerned about a dead man being incorrectly labelled as having criminal convictions than images of the Guard being circulated or people having to be barricaded into shops for their own safety.

It will always come out whether or not those allegations were true or untrue. Not nice for untruths to be spread but they can and will be corrected.

It follows the story line that poor old George wouldn't hurt a fly. Was out picking daisy on a nice walk when the Garda just pulled out, seen he was black and riddled him with bullets......15 Garda in fact riddled him

Well.......that bit might not necessarily follow........a few sob stories and might have got a slap on the wrist

The term in jail would be questionable but he would end up with a conviction that is 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

NIMAN wrote: »

I've asked this question previously:
    wandererz wrote: »
    "lots of right-minded people in society think the dead man was a criminal when he was not."

When does one become a criminal? When one commits the crime or upon conviction?

Still no clarification on that one yet.

Another term I've heard is "convicted criminal"

So what's the difference between an criminal and a convicted criminal and at what point is someone considered a criminal.

Or was he simply a "perp" in keeping with his brother's colloquialism and was "contract terminated"?

Again in keeping with the brother's colloquialism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement