Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lumen wrote: »
    It is still extremely difficult.

If someone is very psychotic it is not difficult at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

IRE60 wrote: »
    No, the liable laws apply equally if the paper is circulated in the jurisdiction. Also, Sunday Time is published and printed in the Republic - just a heads up in case like much in the thread the truth becomes fiction!

The "if" is the important thing. Papers will often have different versions for different countries. That publication has the option to print a story in its UK version (or online) and not in the Irish print run. The Irish papers do not have that option. It might be in the Irish version or it might not

It doesn't change my point that foreign papers are more free to print certain details. If they print this story in an Irish print run, it still doesn't change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Haven't the foggiest who that "journalist" is but I noticed on that thread that people have another few examples of where he contradicted himself such as:

https://twitter.com/Paulius152/status/1345685292909531140

I notice that he likes the oul' race baiting saying that "If you cannot consiter the possibility of race being a factor in it, you need to look at the society you think you live in."

Ignoring the atrocious spelling for a "journalist". I'm not on twitter but perhaps someone should ask him whether he can consider race as being a factor in the Carraigaline stabbing. Not that I think it necessarily was, but to see whether he can "consiter" it.

ask that gimp anything like that and he either bans or reports you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

All the heroes on this thread. Has anyone here ever tried to control someone having a psychotic episode or someone high on drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there a source stating the family had a barring order?

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Isn't it curious, that once again the Irish public need to rely on an English newspaper to order to get unbiased reporting on a news story that features Africans in Ireland? It was also The Times that reported the news about the Social Democrats candidate who lied on her asylum application. Why are we not seeing similar unbiased reports from our main stream media?

The headline of the above article by the way states:
    Gardai ‘had to shoot’ George Nkencho under public safety protocols.

So it had nothing to do with his race; irrespective of what progressives like Hazel Chu and Lynn Ruane would like to believe. Hope that these fine people are remembered when they try to run for "elected" office.

the irish media are so utterly monocultural in terms of ideology and politics , id without an ounce of hyperbole wager that if a terrorist attacked happened here at the hands of islamic extremists , we,d need to rely on foreign media to actually report the full facts

in that regard we are ripe as a nation for attack or at the very least activity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

All the heroes on this thread. Has anyone here ever tried to control someone having a psychotic episode or someone high on drugs?

De escalation or physically? Because physically yes, it's like trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube, if the toothpaste had a knife in it's pocket....

Few years ago I had a "crisis" of my own, drove half an hour to try to get myself checked in somewhere.
    After waiting about 10 hours I met the psychiatrist, went through the usual questions and we were taking a break so I went to go out for a smoke. Security guard screamed something at me, psychiatrist didn't know what was happening, then we copped that we should go back to the non-public side.
    Some guy had rocked up with a machete. I assume in 20 seconds the security guard had to react to him walking across the car park he called the Gardai, warned us, warned staff in the in-patient area and activated the automatic locks in the in-patient area. Unfortunately the guy got in and into the in-patient area, apparently looking for someone. He left after not too long, we watched him exit the car park about 30 seconds before the Gardai arrived from the other side.
    Had a brief talk with the Gardai, gave a description of what we saw and what the guy was wearing. Heard one say to another along the lines of "Stand down the ARU". Off they went to try and track the guy down.

Had the security guard been off getting a cup of tea instead of looking at the monitors when he did I have no doubt a serious incident would have occurred.
    Had myself and the psychiatrist gone through the door 20 seconds later we would have come face to face with a lunatic with a machete.
    Had the Gardai arrived a minute earlier we would likely have had a stand-off with the ARU arriving later.

I almost immediately called the person who knew where I was to let them know "If you hear about an incident in the place I am, don't worry, it's passed and nothing serious happened.

Point being, people love to talk about de-escalation, but that's only possible when both sides are open to it. As well as that, the Gardai "side" must also be prepared for escalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Nobody was slashed, punched and attacked yes, not slashed...

Jesus id love to knock your teeth in while brandishing a knife and see what your view on it is then. Would you be correcting people in the hospital that infact you havent been slashed you've just been severely beaten by somebody with a knife?

My point remains as your responses illustrate, people on twitter are more concerned about the MH services the attacker did ot didn't receive as opposed to the man he attacked during the course of his job. An event he will carry with him for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

The "if" is the important thing. Papers will often have different versions for different countries. That publication has the option to print a story in its UK version (or online) and not in the Irish print run. The Irish papers do not have that option. It might be in the Irish version or it might not

It doesn't change my point that foreign papers are more free to print certain details. If they print this story in an Irish print run, it still doesn't change that fact.

The 'if' is a reach in your case it's registered address is The Watermarque Building, Ringsend Rd, - how can you not research that. So, let me enlighten you through the fog you are in: if you circulate a paper in a particular country you are bound by their laws - financial is collection vat on sales and liable. So, your theory about Irish print run is arse. Seriously, you expound the keyboard warrior - just say what you think is fact! It's rubbish - you haven't a clue about liable any you still click out this sh1t. Library card for you

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    New Years 2020/2021 takeaway:

"Bullets are not meant for certain people.
    White's, Asians and others are fine though."

I wonder how many White & Asian people have been shot by black cops in the US.
    I'm sure there must be more than a few. Somehow never hear about it.

East and Southeast Asian only. South Asians are oppressed in Merica.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

None of these 'woke' types live in reality at all. They would say the Gardai should have shot the machete/huge knife out of his hand with one bullet then catch it in mid air only to gently place it on the ground as they talk George down and let him go back into the house after said misunderstanding.

OK it's satirical but many of these types have said online the weapon should have been shot out of his hand. As said they don't live in reality at all. Even the fairies think they are away with the fairies.

They 'woke leftie everyone who disagrees with me is racist' types are ignoring basic on tape facts about this incident. In fact there is videos online of them saying he was unarmed!

Jesus id love to knock your teeth in while brandishing a knife and see what your view on it is then. Would you be correcting people in the hospital that infact you havent been slashed you've just been severely beaten by somebody with a knife?

My point remains as your responses illustrate, people on twitter are more concerned about the MH services the attacker did ot didn't receive as opposed to the man he attacked during the course of his job. An event he will carry with him for the rest of his life.

This is a discussion forum, we're discussing an incident that happened from a Theoretically neutral position, disinformation provides no help to the discussion. And frankly saying no one is talking about the shopkeeper is disingenuous at best, if no one was, would there be a GoFundMe with over 10k in it?

Would i feel differently if I were the the shopkeeper or the family that are without a member today, almost certainly.

None of these 'woke' types live in reality at all. They would say the Gardai should have shot the machete/huge knife out of his hand with one bullet then catch it in mid air only to gently place it on the ground as they talk George down and let him go back into the house after said misunderstanding.

OK it's satirical but many of these types have said online the weapon should have been shot out of his hand. As said they don't live in reality at all. Even the fairies think they are away with the fairies.

They 'woke leftie everyone who disagrees with me is racist' types are ignoring basic on tape facts about this incident. In fact there is videos online of them saying he was unarmed!
    You can’t blame the woke.
    They grew up on minecraft & Harry Potter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ask that gimp anything like that and he either bans or reports you

Living and working in Sweden for the last 20 years but is somehow a self declared expert on racism in Ireland.

Living and working in Sweden for the last 20 years but is somehow a self declared expert on racism in Ireland.

He’s also an expert on MMA on Dunphys podcast!
    Can’t stand him.

So he's seen Sweden descend into a multicultural nightmare where areas of malmo have rape ghettos? Maybe he's not the one to lecture....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I am not sure what the big revelation is about the previous crimes is?
    I doubt the Garda stood looking at him saying "right he is up to 32 he is fair game". It didn't matter if he had 0 or 2000 previous convictions. The guys was a danger to the Garda and the general public.
    It certainly seemed to matter when people thought he had the convictions, it was mentioned enough. Now that it turns out that he didn't have any, of course the question of convictions turns out not to matter after all.

But I agree that it isn't really an issue in the Garda thinking, or shouldn't be, they are just dealing with the threat posed right at the moment.

And them being aware of his mental issues doesn't mean the threat posed is any less, just that it's coming from a different place than if he was a hardened criminal.

The protection orders also explain why the Gardai felt forced to shoot him rather than have him enter the home.

I've had to restrain a relative with an intellectual disability who was having what'll I'll call an episode. It was not easy to pin them to the floor as although they are not fit they were just bigger built than me and the rest of the family.
    They're gentle by nature but I was still left with a bruised face after getting them to the ground and defusing the situation.
    My bit of grappling sport experience was of limited use to me. It helped only a little.

I have huge sympathy for the Gardai in this case.

Ah I see so you wouldn't be arguing over semantics if you were the victim. I figured as much, at least you're able to own your hypocrisy.

So you can't put yourself in an objective viewpoint and have a discussion based on facts?

Fair enough.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

Dymo wrote: »

There is racism in every community and culture across the globe.

I can say that Ireland is one of the least racist countries, when considering how relatively recently Ireland has opened up and also considering that Irish people can also be racist between themselves without even meaning to.

The first link refers to someone who quotes "the most racist place I've lived"... which is only 20 years.
    How many countries have they have had experience of outside of Ireland in their entire 20 years and for how long?

In that case why did they or their family move here?

I for one did live in the most racist country, so I have reason to comment. It so happened to be in Africa as well.

I'm unsure about the use of the phrase but I believe it to be "virtue signalling"??? on her part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So you can't put yourself in an objective viewpoint and have a discussion based on facts?

Fair enough.....

Defending the attacker and disregarding the victim is not objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is there a source stating the family had a barring order?

I fair doubt the Sunday Times would have just made that up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Dymo wrote: »

Sorcha Pollak, who writes for the Irish Times, is one of the worst offenders. I counted something like 15 articles written by her about race over a month or two. She's probably written 30 or 40 articles of that nature since the George Floyd event. She's nothing but a **** stirring cretin

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Defending the attacker and disregarding the victim is not objectivity.

Defending is an interesting choice of words, I'd go with correcting.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

It doesn't even take that.

I have an absolutely tiny female friend, 4 foot 10 or 11 and maybe 90ish lbs, and she used to occasionally lose her **** out of nowhere on nights out when we were younger.

It would take two struggling grown men to essentially pick her up and remove her from wherever we were to attempt to calm her down so that she wouldn't hurt someone or get decked for trying to attack someone.

She quit booze very young because of this but it showed me that if someone is determined to go bald headed for someone else their size doesn't matter if they are anyways worked up. They will still be a hassle to get under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

titan18 wrote: »
    I fair doubt the Sunday Times would have just made that up

No i'm not suggesting its made up, just didnt know who published it!

living alright but i doubt he does much in the way of real work

It doesn't even take that.

I have an absolutely tiny female friend, 4 foot 10 or 11 and maybe 90ish lbs, and she used to occasionally lose her **** out of nowhere on nights out when we were younger.

It would take two struggling grown men to essentially pick her up and remove her from wherever we were to attempt to calm her down so that she wouldn't hurt someone or get decked for trying to attack someone.

She quit booze very young because of this but it showed me that if someone is determined to go bald headed for someone else their size doesn't matter if they are anyways worked up. They will still be a hassle to get under control.
    Even forgetting people, if you are trying to herd sheep and have one stubborn Ewe in the flock that is intent on butting you your notions of being a omnipotent supermensch are soon put in their place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fair enough.....

What "facts" though?

All anyone here has to go on is what's been reported in the media, and I think we can/should all agree that every single one of them has an agenda (or angle, if we're being kind)

Unless you were there (and I bet reports of eye witnesses will vary wildly as well), then better wait for the outcome of the many investigations that will be conducted, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement