Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

IRE60 wrote: »
    No, the liable laws apply equally if the paper is circulated in the jurisdiction. Also, Sunday Time is published and printed in the Republic - just a heads up in case like much in the thread the truth becomes fiction!

You can’t libel a dead person. Just a heads up.

Effects wrote: »
    And where did you get that information from? Did you just make it up?

How can you have a barring order against you but still live at the same address?

You can have a protective order and live in the same house. I’ve seen it numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Marcos

titan18 wrote: »
    I fair doubt the Sunday Times would have just made that up

They didn't, I put up a post directly quoting from the article a while ago.

EDIT: It looks like that post was taken down for whatever reason, so I'm including the direct quote from article here. Link to the article
    Officers say they had previously been called to deal with disturbances arising from his behaviour at the house in Manorfields. Members of the family had obtained protection orders against the young man on the basis that he posed a threat to their safety.

This is a statement of fact, that I feel is most definitely relevant to this thread as it calls into question certain misinformation being put into the public domain.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

IRE60 wrote: »
    The 'if' is a reach in your case it's registered address is The Watermarque Building, Ringsend Rd, - how can you not research that. So, let me enlighten you through the fog you are in: if you circulate a paper in a particular country you are bound by their laws - financial is collection vat on sales and liable. So, your theory about Irish print run is arse. Seriously, you expound the keyboard warrior - just say what you think is fact! It's rubbish - you haven't a clue about liable any you still click out this sh1t. Library card for you

Let me enlighten you - you cannot libel (correct spelling) a dead person. Perhaps keep the library card for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Sorcha Pollak, who writes for the Irish Times, is one of the worst offenders. I counted something like 15 articles written by her about race over a month or two. She's probably written 30 or 40 articles of that nature since the George Floyd event. She's nothing but a **** stirring cretin

While pollak is the most egregious offender, many of the new wave of " journalists " are in truth just activists

Beit Ellen Coyne or even Colette Browne , Browne admonished Kevin Sharkey on the Tonight show around eighteen months ago when he brought up African gang culture in West Dublin and Balbriggan

Browne sternly dismissed his points saying

" there is no evidence of that "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Please lets not go there.... Gardai are there to protect people. its a dangerous job from the start.

What if the lunatic with a knife killed your brother or father on the way to his housing estate as 12 gardai were "following" him around trying to "calm him down"?

The gardai had shadowed him and were keeping members of the public away from him. If he attempted anything they would have done everything they could to prevent him harming anyone.

At the house Gardai were preventing people from getting close as well as others trying to disarm Nkencho.

They tasered him twice and used pepper spray. Tasers need to hit skin to work. The man was fully clothed. If the Garda didn't fire his weapon he or a colleague would most likely be dead now.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    . If the Garda didn't fire his weapon he or a colleague would most likely be dead now.

The woke say that’s what they’re paid for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If the Garda didn't fire his weapon he or a colleague would most likely be dead now.

The pertinent question for the enquiry will be whether or not the Gards followed the correct, lawful procedure in shooting the man at the time they did, not what could have happened if they didn't. People have survived knife attacks and people have survived multiple gunshots, and the potential outcome of an attempted knife attack before the assailant has even struck is even harder to quantify. Point is that it would be best for enquiry not to get bogged down in that kind of thinking and keep on the question of was it by the book or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

briany wrote: »
    The pertinent question for the enquiry will be whether or not the Gards followed the correct, lawful procedure in shooting the man at the time they did, not what could have happened if they didn't. People have survived knife attacks and people have survived multiple gunshots, and the potential outcome of an attempted knife attack before the assailant has even struck is even harder to quantify. Point is that it would be best for enquiry not to get bogged down in that kind of thinking and keep on the question of was it by the book or not?

By the same token, people have been killed by knife attacks as well.

You can be sure the Gardai made sure very possible procedure was followed in this case. They would have been well aware of the sensitivity of this case and the potential for the type of reactions that were possible in relation to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

GSOC will exonerate the guards here , George will the be given martyr status on social media

whole thing is toxic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,145 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

nullzero wrote: »

You can be sure the Gardai made sure very possible procedure was followed in this case. They would have been well aware of the sensitivity of this case and the potential for the type of reactions that were possible in relation to it.

As I said earlier, as soon as he raised his knife and attacked the Garda (as can be seen in the video) they had no other choice but to shoot him.

I think they did everything they could do to avoid having to end his life but he just kept coming at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any trouble in dublin today? Or have things calmed down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

JJayoo wrote: »

Hopefully they'll cop on and not make this an excuse to rampage

Of course. People have been killed by knife attacks, and others have survived them as well, making it impossible to really know the outcome of any attempted one, with certainty, and it's therefore better to stick to what we do know which is that the suspect was lunging at the Gard with a knife, and from that ask the question was it right to shoot the suspect at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

JJayoo wrote: »

There was a sitdown protest out Blanch Garda station. Haven't heard or seen of anything escalating further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dymo wrote: »

Interesting that the bulk of the above articles are stories about childhood / school bullying. Children can be right little ****ers a and pick on other kids whether that's skin colour, glasses or any other difference. And yes schools need to stamp down on all bullying not just the racist kind

The whole tagline of "we're all a big load of racists" appears to stem from 'racism' having become a money making racket for a number of newspapers, organisations and individuals alike. The most prominent of which are actively running a race baiting industry in this country.

That's not to say there a no racism or racist individuals here. I'm damn sure there are - just as there are those who scream racist and racism as everybody given opportunity. Unfortunately the same apparently dont give a fek about the fallout of this type of divisive crap being continuously peddled

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Every police officer in the western world knows that if they have to legally kill a black person they are going to be subject to huge investigation and to the BLM brigade and a lack of support from politicians who watch to see how the wind blows and how it can further or hinder their careers. Thats why I believe gardai tried everything and maybe may have extended the risk to themselves if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

briany wrote: »
    Of course. People have been killed by knife attacks, and others have survived them as well, making it impossible to really know the outcome of any attempted one, with certainty, and it's therefore better to stick to what we do know which is that the suspect was lunging at the Gard with a knife, and from that ask the question was it right to shoot the suspect at that point.

We already know the answer to that question, the Garda was correct in shooting him.

What is it with all this whataboutery in relation to this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

There was a sitdown protest out Blanch Garda station. Haven't heard or seen of anything escalating further.

And isn't it wonderful that they have the right to do this, to protest the shooting of a criminal, freely, and without repercussions.

Truly, we live in a backwards, racist country. :pac:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lekki_massacre

We already know the answer to that question, the Garda was correct in shooting him.

What is it with all this whataboutery in relation to this case?

I wouldn't doubt that it will be found that the Gards were right to shoot the man when they did because he was coming at one of them with a knife. My point is that talk about what would have happened if they hadn't shot him at that time is irrelevant, really, because that's essentially an unknown, what with likelihoods not amounting to certainty. It shouldn't enter into the thinking of any professionals conducting an enquiry into the matter and would only serve to bog things down with potential doubts and what-ifs over the actions of the Gardaí in this incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Every police officer in the western world knows that if they have to legally kill a black person they are going to be subject to huge investigation and to the BLM brigade and a lack of support from politicians who watch to see how the wind blows and how it can further or hinder their careers. Thats why I believe gardai tried everything and maybe may have extended the risk to themselves if anything.

That’s my assumption at this point to be honest although I’ll await the results of an investigation to form a conclusion.

I can’t help thinking if this is true how traumatic this whole thing must be for the guard. To have had his life threatened and to feel he had to shoot in the course of serving the state must be horrible enough. To now be accused of racism and have elected officials entertain and encourage that accusation in the name of cheap political point scoring makes me sick. I can only imagine how the guard must feel.

As I said earlier, as soon as he raised his knife and attacked the Garda (as can be seen in the video) they had no other choice but to shoot him.

I think they did everything they could do to avoid having to end his life but he just kept coming at them.

100 percent correct, the facts are this criminal went out to maim or kill and rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

How is the man who was attacked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I could imagine a lot of parents saw their kids/friends of their kids in the video footage floating around and tore them a new hole

Defending the attacker and disregarding the victim is not objectivity.

Tbh we in Ireland are pussies compared to Eastern Europe, this guy wouldn't dare even think of doing what he did, and certainly in Poland, Romania etc they certainly wouldn't even think of stopping traffic, threatening police officers lives, or rampage through a shopping centre,,,,, then again that's why we've so many people Africans in Ireland simply because we're easy to control, and our government is so PC its a pushover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Indeed.

My feeling, based on the facts already to hand, is not just that this wasn’t a racist shooting, the Gardai actually showed an unusual level of patience and restraint based on the inevitable political chaos shooting a black man would arouse.

Not that the Gardai are anyway trigger happy in any event, but I theorise that they would have shot a white man much sooner. The slain criminal needed to try very hard to get himself killed.

Awaiting the results of the GSOC investigation which I’m 99% sure will exonerate all brave Gardai involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ForestFire

So if the Irish Times article is accurate, and there was a barring order from the family, for their protection against this man...

... The guards now are being accused as a racial motives, for protecting a black family in their home, from a potential violent attacker, that they themselves, at some stage applied and pleaded for and it was granted by the courts based on evidence?

And not only on twitter, but by the very family that requested this protection (brother), and they are now using this to make money?

Can you imagine if a violent father (or mother) with a baring order, arrive at the family home with partner and kids inside, wielding a larger knife, and the Gardai just left him into the house!!

Mainstream media at some point need to publish all the facts when know, and politicians, jedward and everyone in between (especially that ucd one) should stop sreading devisive messages.

I understand somewhat the media not feeding the ptotest, but at some stage they should clear up all the known facts.

How is the man who was attacked ?

I'd imagine in shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Why not? I posted ref Romania as I've been travelling to and fro for nearly a year 23 years, both are sovereign states, in the EU, but still have pride in their countries, have you been to both?

Yeah, but you’re from Cork so anywhere is going to look better ;)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I've seen the Hungarian police quell a Neo-Nazi attempt to disrupt a gay pride parade, in a country not known for tolerating gay pride in the first place. It wasn't pretty but neither was the sight of Neo-Nazis encouraging their kids to throw stones at gay people. I've also seen the French CRS deal with football hooligans. No guff tolerated by either police force. You play stupid games,you will win stupid prizes, at the point of a police baton, as required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement