Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Look at one of the placards in this article. "Thug is not a synonym for black"

Yeah we know its not, no one is saying it is, not the public, not the guards. what planet are these guys living on?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/protests-continue-over-fatal-shooting-19551355

Playing the victim. Really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OH just forget about this and move on FGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

transcribed. It does seem to me that the race baiters are the ones trying to take advantage of this for their own ends.

FFS spread the word plasmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

nullzero wrote: »
    Your friend is too busy working and contributing to society. Funny how we don't see hard working people engaging in this nonsense.
    Fact ,Every clown that has jumped on the bandwagon needs to be called out after the investigation is over. I feel sorry for that guard and his family. The man was doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I dont know if it was racist or not but the reaction has definitely been hugely racist and its very clear that lies about him having a machete and slashing someone and having 32 previous convictions were started by people with racist motivations.

Indeed and no matter your thoughts on this if you really believe this was not a racist incident everyone should be condemning racism thats being caused by it.

There is quite allot of it going around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gothic Insanity

I spent years working in London with many black African people.
    The vast majority were great people then you had the odd bollox just like you have with white people.

The difference is that many of those people complaining at these meetings want everything for free. They don’t want to work.

Agreed. As I say every race has it's good it's bad and it's village idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Page not found on both

Forgot to linkify correctly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Many public figures who have made statements are now making their SM accounts private when challenged.

Country is fooked

I have to say, from chit-chatting among people online and reading forums (and a tiny bit of small talk out and about) it seems the handling of this situation has created more of a divide than whatever was there before. I think a lot of people are just sick to the teeth of being presumed racist and of the 'can do nothing right' variety when it comes to trying to please other races (who have come here by choice).

Black person gets shot in very legitimate circumstances, and immediately everyone is a racist and the hand is out looking for more from the government (despite incredible hospitality shown to those who have landed here from other countries, getting welfare, housing, and access to education and employment with nothing asked in return).

I know a couple of black people personally, who, thankfully, can see right through this and haven't hopped on the bandwagon, but in general, black people have been done a huge disservice in the last few days because of the carry on of those making the news.

I would hate to be living in a black-dominant country, keeping my head down, getting on with life, and seeing the news covered with groups of other Irish people going out and damaging the reputation of all Irish people living there. I know it's not the majority, but it doesn't have to be, to permanently tarnish the collective image.

I'm sure there were plenty of Nazis that were just out doing a 9-5 job to put food on the table, but they're not the ones that are remembered. Plenty of Muslim people work hard, have great education, save lives working in hospitals, etc. but they're still "the terrorists" because of a small few.

These black groups running riot, threatening Gardai, insulting state organisations and putting their hand out wanting more without putting anything into it themselves, would have done themselves such a better service if they responded with sadness over the shooting, and made it known they would cooperate with Garda investigations, instead of opting to immediately point the finger.

*I appreciate some of the comparisons are a tad extreme, but it's just to make the point, using commonly recognised examples.

Bet you wouldn't say that if it was a white person that was shot.

(sarcasm, obviously - but how about just not posting in the thread!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed and no matter your thoughts on this if you really believe this was not a racist incident everyone should be condemning racism thats being caused by it.

There is quite allot of it going around.

Racism is pretty far down the list considerations related to this event. Top priorities are:

1. Conveying support for AGS for removing a violent offender from society.
    2. Checking in on Wayne, the Eurospar manager who was brutally assaulted by the deceased.
    3. Dispersing gatherings that are in direct contravention of level 5 Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hamachi wrote: »
    Racism is pretty far down the list considerations related to this event. Top priorities are:

1. Conveying support for AGS for removing a violent offender from society.
    2. Checking in on Wayne, the Eurospar manager who was brutally assaulted by the deceased.
    3. Dispersing gatherings that are in direct contravention of level 5 Covid restrictions.

You can do all of those things and still be against legit racism that has spawned from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

You can do all of those things and still be against legit racism that has spawned from it.

Why has it "spawned from it"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

What is the reasoning in allowing a mob to say “you should die you white bastard” and not classing it as racism?

It is surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yes indeed. That also includes the ‘legit’ racism exhibited by members of the Nigerian community in Blanchardstown who were hurling vile abuse at the staff members and customers locked inside Eurospar.

I’m very much against that display of legitimate racism, as I’m sure are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm sure there were plenty of Nazis that were just out doing a 9-5 job to put food on the table, but they're not the ones that are remembered.

Given that I think the thread might need a bit of lightening up, your post reminded me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Really need to completely revamp who we let into the country.

https://twitter.com/orlaredchan/status/1345789778701262849?s=19

The full speech: https://streamable.com/sz64ur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

Bet he didn't say any of that when he turned up at Dublin airport begging to be let in.

In fairness, I kinda know what he is talking about, I work on a large building site and I never see anyone that looks like him around me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Really need to completely revamp who we let into the country.

https://twitter.com/orlaredchan/status/1345789778701262849?s=19

"I don't see anybody in power that looks like me" - Yeah maybe because your in Ireland!!!
    I don't see anybody in power in Nigeria that looks like me, a white Irish lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭enricoh

We have a government minister that is over direct provision who wants every asylum seeker to have their own door accommodation within 3 months of getting here whether they're legit or not.
    All this is going to do is attract more and more people here for a free lunch and is going to cost an absolute fortune. Couples outbid on houses by the council.
    No doubt we'll be told this year that the retirement age will have to increase etc etc. It's time politicians were told enough is enough. Genuine asylum seekers yes, spoofers deported asap. All we are doing is creating future ghettos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,485 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For all the good the EU has done, I think issues like this are showing the failures of the EU too.

If I’m Taoiseach tonight in a non EU Ireland id simply be saying, “ ok, for the time being, enough, no more accepting of asylum seekers or immigration. This will be revisited and revised as and when ”...

It’s not the incident solely as it can be looked at as something isolated but the support on social media for a fûcking evil violent sword swinging shîtbag over our police force and calls for murder and violence is a depressing turn of events...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

enricoh wrote: »
    We have a government minister that is over direct provision who wants every asylum seeker to have their own door accommodation within 3 months of getting here whether they're legit or not.
    All this is going to do is attract more and more people here for a free lunch and is going to cost an absolute fortune. Couples outbid on houses by the council.
    No doubt we'll be told this year that the retirement age will have to increase etc etc. It's time politicians were told enough is enough. Genuine asylum seekers yes, spoofers deported asap.

It's never going to happen im afraid. We have no right leaning political parties in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Of course there's going to be those who will use this incident to gain political or social capital. It's nothing new and it's not just an Irish thing. It just seems to being taken to more heightened and hyperbolic states. Politics is becoming more and more polarised. I think everyone should cast a critical eye over everything that they are told. I'd dare say there's a sizeable number here who have also been caught up in some other or similar issues and have cast vitriol on the other side without so much as even a cursory attempt to understand their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Just to chip in here, I've hired black people and never had the racism card thrown at me. People honestly looking for work if they fit the job requirements should be considered equally.

I was just making the point that it's easy to throw it around if someone wanted to but very hard to clear yourself of the accusation.

Of course there's going to be those will use this incident to gain political or social capital. It's nothing new and it's not just an Irish thing. It just seems to taken to more heightened and hyperbolic states. Politics is becoming more and more polarised. I think everyone should cast a critical eye over everything that they are told. I'd dare say there's a sizeable number here who have also been caught up in some other or similar issues and have cast vitriol on the other side without so much as even a cursory attempt to understand their position.

What’s to understand? This fûckwit was going around with an illegal potentially deadly weapon, swinging it, attempting to injure people or worse. However people are taking issue that despite having been given an opportunity by the Gardai to drop said weapon instead tried to hack one to pieces... yet the criticism is of the Gardai for shooting him to defend themselves...

nullzero wrote: »
    Talking about Ireland being complicit in the Atlantic slave trade because people living Ireland received compensation when slavery was abolished, Ireland was part of Britain then, we wouldn't be an independent county for another century, the people receiving compensation were British.
    I'm going to also guess that a huge proportion (if not vast majority) of people in Nigeria are descended from slave traders one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

It's very frustrating that our politicians and publicly elected officials seem so far away from questioning from the average Joe today. With twitter, Coppinger, Chu, Ruane et al. can send bad faith information to vast swaths of the population and either delete it or just move on and act as if nothing happened. We should be able to, as a people, put these bad faith arguments and ideas on these people to ask for more context on what they mean and press them for more. These aren't people holding small swoths of power, they hold some of the highest and most coveted titles in the country and it deserves better.

The difficulty is... the political classes are protecting themselves over the likes of the Irish person who pays and votes for them.

All they want is to be re-electable. So their careers continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Strumms wrote: »
    The difficulty is... the political classes are protecting themselves over the likes of the Irish person who pays and votes for them.

All they want is to be re-electable
    . So their careers continue.
    The answer is on the tip of my tongue :p
    But lets face it the voting populace really are thick as pig sh*t so cant be relied upon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I have to say, from chit-chatting among people online and reading forums (and a tiny bit of small talk out and about) it seems the handling of this situation has created more of a divide than whatever was there before. I think a lot of people are just sick to the teeth of being presumed racist and of the 'can do nothing right' variety when it comes to trying to please other races (who have come here by choice).

Black person gets shot in very legitimate circumstances, and immediately everyone is a racist and the hand is out looking for more from the government (despite incredible hospitality shown to those who have landed here from other countries, getting welfare, housing, and access to education and employment with nothing asked in return).

I know a couple of black people personally, who, thankfully, can see right through this and haven't hopped on the bandwagon, but in general, black people have been done a huge disservice in the last few days because of the carry on of those making the news.

I would hate to be living in a black-dominant country, keeping my head down, getting on with life, and seeing the news covered with groups of other Irish people going out and damaging the reputation of all Irish people living there. I know it's not the majority, but it doesn't have to be, to permanently tarnish the collective image.

I'm sure there were plenty of Nazis that were just out doing a 9-5 job to put food on the table, but they're not the ones that are remembered. Plenty of Muslim people work hard, have great education, save lives working in hospitals, etc. but they're still "the terrorists" because of a small few.

These black groups running riot, threatening Gardai, insulting state organisations and putting their hand out wanting more without putting anything into it themselves, would have done themselves such a better service if they responded with sadness over the shooting, and made it known they would cooperate with Garda investigations, instead of opting to immediately point the finger.

*I appreciate some of the comparisons are a tad extreme, but it's just to make the point, using commonly recognised examples.

this toxic enviroment isnt the fault of the black population in ireland

its the fault of grievance industry hustlers who while containing black individuals , is mostly made up of white irish people , predominantly working in media and academia as well as of course the NGO sector

which isnt to say there are no major issues related to the african community in this country , thats a different issue , im referring to the discourse and narrative which has been created , that is on white irish progressives overwhelmingly , RTE being one of the biggest offenders

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement