Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Did we have many chinese immigrants in the 19th century?

What's that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

listermint wrote: »
    Long time since I've been called a young lad. Lol. Cheers.

It's nice, I'm going a bit grey but where I'm from younglad is meant like Cork folk say boy. I like it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Time and time again, it baffles me how many genuine knuckle draggers there are on this forum. Easily x10 when compared to any other forum I've ever come across. What's the reason for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

As opposed to Irish men who never suffered any of that?

I ask you again. Is Irish man racist, yes or no.

I am no woke snowflake but you are totally wrong here.

Chinaman has been used as a racist/derogatory term in the past so no longer should be used in more enlightened times.

Ireland man has never been used as a racist term so total strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

She was born in Ireland, she is Irish-born, she is Irish.

What the hell is wrong with you?

This is ironic. Hazel is legally Irish, not ethnically Irish. It's not an attack on her, it's matter of fact. You can put your faux outrage back in its box.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gothic Insanity

I didnt even know it was a black person. I'm sure rubber bullets would have done something, but I still think he was asking for injury or death by not doing what the people with guns asked him to do

Rubber bullets can cause real injury and also death. If he was swinging after been shot with real bullets that guard would have been stabbed.

Again from my past in dealing with mental health, judging in my own opinion rubber bullets could have just riled him up more.

But then again I'm not a guard or weapons expert but I do know behaviour so.... Grain of salt and all

conor-w wrote: »
    Time and time again, it baffles me how many genuine knuckle draggers there are on this forum. Easily x10 when compared to any other forum I've ever come across. What's the reason for it?

Twitter is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

TomTomTim wrote: »
    This is ironic. Hazel is legally Irish, not ethnically Irish. It's not an attack on her, it's matter of fact. You can put your faux outrage back in its box.

Want to have a go at explaining what ethnically Irish means?

Mimon wrote: »
    I am no woke snowflake but you are totally wrong here.

Chinaman has been used as a racist/derogatory term in the past so no longer should be used in more enlightened times.

Ireland man has never been used as a racist term so total strawman argument.

Delusional. Language policing is dragging us into the past, yet it's enlightened to you?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Want to have a go at explaining what ethnically Irish means?

If you need to be told what an ethnicity is then I'm wasting my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Delusional. Language policing is dragging us into the past, yet it's enlightened to you?

A derogatory term is a derogatory term.

I've been called Paddy in England by knuckledraggers there and had to put them in their place, no way anyone should have to put up with it.

Waits for a mod to pop in and say.... Stay on topic*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm reading reports the is trouble in blanch now.
    Anyone know any more??

She is disgusting though her views on travellers is abhorrent.

No person in public office should call them scum like she does on twitter.

She gets away with it because shes ethnically Asian.

I'm reading reports the is trouble in blanch now.
    Anyone know any more??

where are you reading this, could I have the link? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Rubber bullets can cause real injury and also death. If he was swinging after been shot with real bullets that guard would have been stabbed.

Again from my past in dealing with mental health, judging in my own opinion rubber bullets could have just riled him up more.

But then again I'm not a guard or weapons expert but I do know behaviour so.... Grain of salt and all

I've seen videos where people who have been shot and kept going with their attempted assault with gusto so I'm sure rubber bullets would increase the chances of the gardai being harmed so probably not the best suggestion from me.

Should the gardai even have a different approach for someone who has mental issues? I'm not so sure anymore.

• She is disgusting though her views on travellers is abhorrent.

No person in public office should call them scum like she does on twitter.

She gets away with it because shes ethnically Asian.

She gets away with it because she never said it.

She gets away with it because she never said it.

Didn't say she said it. She Tweeted it.

Of course ignore reality as it doesn't fit your little safe space bubble what do I care if you don't want to engage in reality and ignore facts away ya go.
    She showed her true colours tweeting this.

Just google Hazel Chu tweets travellers are scum it's there online from 1.11.18

to quote

We can't just generalize and say it's only travellers and people on social welfare who are scum.

She's vile

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I am guessing you have never seen a Baton round/ rubber bullet?
    I am guessing you have no experience of CQB or FIBUA anything like that?
    A baton round is firing at a short distance 10-20 meters, it is used to disperse mob of rioters like in Northern Ireland. It is suitable weapon for that kind of environment.
    George was a dangerous individual, his own family had restraining orders against him.

Nope, never seen em, dont know anything about CQB or FIBUA, I'm just giving suggestions on what might save a life to face proper judgement in court instead of death by cop, although as I've repeatedly said, anyone who ignores the requests of armed authority is asking for serious injury or death

• Didn't say she said it. She Tweeted it.

Of course ignore reality as it doesn't fit your little safe space bubble but she's one nasty cow. She showed her true colours tweeting this.

Yv4cpQXP

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1287870126738432001?s=21

Context matters. She did not call travellers scum - she said people CAN be (which is fact) and there’s a disproportionate amount of these names being thrown at people in the travelling community - or on welfare. That’s just fact at this point - you can even see it on boards this happens regularly. Stop talking ****e would ye?

HazelChu wrote:
    I think you and I both agree people can be scum. But my thing is we can’t generalise and say its only travellers or people on social welfare. That just divides us more.

Denouncing this behaviour — not reinforcing. You’ve literally just taken a tweet, ignored the base text and plucked out some words that sound good for you, what you’ve basically done is:
    HazelChu wrote:
    I think you and I both agree people travellers can be scum. But my thing is we can’t should generalise and say its only travellers or people on social welfare. That just divides us more.

That’s about what you’re going for i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dublin magazine wants vengeance.
    I didn't read that pictured paper - what organisation are they talking about?

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1345699164533960705?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

biko wrote: »

He wasn't shot for his criminal convictions, or lack of them though.

He was shot for threatening Gardai and others with a knife.

I've seen none of these outlets actually doing some journalism and showing us how the lie started. It's not hard to do on Twitter where you can search specific terms. It seems like the hard left is trying to use a lie to devalue the rest of the narrative, when the lie in question wasn't been given the credence that they'd like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We must make a special effort not to forget those who lied about this.....

Woman in comments "the gardai confirmed it was a butter knife" - refuses to back up lie

I'll never claim to be the smartest man in any room, but if I ever displayed that lack of cop on I'd hope someone would slap me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

titan18 wrote: »
    Nah they're still going after it in the papers anyway.

Like this idiot, https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40200258.html
    Dr Lucy Michael, a sociologist and expert on racism and integration, says we do not have in Ireland a joint policing and psychiatric approach to risk assessment.

Yet another 'race' expert looking to cash in on Irelands massive and historically ingrained racial problems?
    ...The questions raised by this case also include whether garda training on bias is sufficient to address the interplay of racial stereotypes, mental health concerns and risk assessment in policing which have been the subject of political inquiries in other countries, such as the Bradley Review in the UK a decade ago. 

Those judgments on threat may be based in biases that perceive some ethnic minority groups, particularly people of African descent, as more aggressive, particularly in the course of mental health problems...

If An Garda Síochúna does not have the appropriate anti-bias training and mental health responses to preserve life, it is the responsibility of government to ensure that those are introduced urgently.

Defuq? Who are the "An Garda Garda Síochúna"?

And that's some load of assumptions...

Interesting that she completely ignores the issues of the gardai being called out on a public order incident having to deal with a violent armed individual refusing to comply with garda instruction and who continued to threaten others having already assaulted a member of the public.

Her proposed solution? 'Anti-bias' training for said gardai So the next time the gardai are called out to deal with a violent individual threatening and attacking others - they can check in with their 'bias' first'.

So Gardai - Faced with a deadly weapon? Attempting to stop a dangerous individual doing futher harm?

Check your 'bias' first! If you get killed doing so - then at least that demonstrates you're not biased!

No doubt said Ms Michael could help provide such training ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He wasn't shot for his criminal convictions, or lack of them though.

He was shot for threatening Gardai and others with a knife.

Yes but now because stupid people made up lies about him they can focus on that instead of the actual issue of why he was shot.

But no people with half a brain just forward and believe this crap so any original sense of the argument is lost.

How many people on this thread repeated the accusations that he hit someone on the head with a hammer.

It seems both sides are completely full of **** and any nuances are thrown out the window.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1287870126738432001?s=21

Context matters. She did not call travellers scum - she said people CAN be (which is fact) and there’s a disproportionate amount of these names being thrown at people in the travelling community - or on welfare. That’s just fact at this point - you can even see it on boards this happens regularly. Stop talking ****e would ye?

Denouncing this behaviour — not reinforcing. You’ve literally just taken a tweet, ignored the base text and plucked out some words that sound good for you, what you’ve basically done is:

That’s about what you’re going for i think?

Few points.

1. Why would a politician and Lord Mayor of Dublin have to ask people not to look at her slanderous old Tweets surely someone in public eye has the gumption to know anything online stays online. You don't post things like that. I mean how stupid can she be? Isn't she supposed to be educated?

2. Her posting that SPEAKS VOLUMES about how nasty she has been on Twitter.

3. When did you become her official PR person? Does it pay well?

• Few points.

1. Why would a politician and Lord Mayor of Dublin have to ask people not to look at her slanderous old Tweets surely someone in public eye has the gumption to know anything online stays online. You don't post things like that. I mean how stupid can she be? Isn't she supposed to be educated?

2. Her posting that SPEAKS VOLUMES about how nasty she has been on Twitter.

3. When did you become her official PR person? Does it pay well?

She didn’t ask people not to look at her old tweets. What she did was show the full side and not the out of context cut out you and the others who are totally against her (bet it’s not a racist reason tho no sir).

No it doesn’t. But your posting shows you’ve got some serious issue with Hazel, one you should probably seek help for. Being so obsessed with someone you have to pull tweets out of the sky to make her look bad is sad at best.

I’m not even going to touch the last point because it’s ridiculous. But why don’t you address my response to you? You’ve refused to do so.

Also - if you’re just gonna post replies and keep editing them without mentioning to try some stupid game where it looks like I’ve ignored half your post, stop responding to me or at least let me know when you’re definitely done posting and it’s safe to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I've seen none of these outlets actually doing some journalism and showing us how the lie started. It's not hard to do on Twitter where you can search specific terms. It seems like the hard left is trying to use a lie to devalue the rest of the narrative, when the lie in question wasn't been given the credence that they'd like to think.

There is only one fact about the whole back and forth is that both extremes - the racist extreme 'right' and the racist extreme 'left' - are both absolutely complicit in the lies and obfuscation we have all witnessed.

The most perturbing thing about this is public figures/entities and some media also piled in, some setting a narrative which has led to nothing but division without a shred of evidence and ignoring actual racism resulting from this incident and without waiting for the GSOC investigation.

• Advertisement

I've seen videos where people who have been shot and kept going with their attempted assault with gusto so I'm sure rubber bullets would increase the chances of the gardai being harmed so probably not the best suggestion from me.

Should the gardai even have a different approach for someone who has mental issues? I'm not so sure anymore.

Nothing the guards could have done from my perspective unless they had a full riot shield to try protect them. In which case best of luck in close quarters without getting toppled over and pinned. It had escalated to a point where a weapon as being held and then swung.

The guards tried to keep everything low arousal by following him initially from a distance. At the end of the day they had to keep everyone safe in that situation.

Sad for the guy and his family but unless George was in a service capable of supporting him from the get go, there's unfortunately nothing else you could do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement