Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Cordell wrote: »
    I skimmed through the article, actually is not a problem if he's holding up a gang sign. They seem to suggest that it is racist to expect non whites and migrants to behave and to be non violent and respect the law, because when they don't they are just being different, and being different is just as good.
    For example, George was just going home, it just happened to wield a knife while doing so, it was just a different way of going home and he was killed for being different.
    I ****e you not, this is what they say.

I've heard about this concept of "whiteness". I'm not fully up on what it exactly entails but I think it's something to do with cultural norms of white people which are held up to be the societal norms that non-whites are expected to adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

amacca wrote: »
    Is there anyway to put pressure on Twitter to remove accounts like these....if enough people put pressure on politicians etc etc

It seems wrong that they can use platforms like this for propaganda without challenge or moderation

Can legal actions be taken by groups of concerned citizens on the basis of it harm8ng communities.....be8ng compleyely in opposition to the facts etc

There must be some way to challenge this ****e? Im not familiar with Twitter (not really big into social media tbh) but why do I have the sinking feel8ng the answer is f all.

It's an open platform that's free to use, are you not free to challenge it if you wish?

People can turn off comments but I believe you can still "quote tweet" and it's linked to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I've heard about this concept of "whiteness". I'm not fully up on what it exactly entails but I think it's something to do with cultural norms of white people which are held up to be the societal norms that non-whites are expected to adopt.

All this because one individual assaulted a shop manager and threatened others ...

Take a read ...

http://merjireland.org/index.php/2021/01/04/for-george-nkencho/
    We are extremely disillusioned by people or organisations who are directing any semblance of blame towards the Black community during these times. Many are saying that it is the job of Black people to show they are not the violent stereotype they are being painted out to be. These statements are very saddening to hear as stereotypes are not perpetuated by the people on the receiving end of them. They can only be destroyed if white people and the white capitalist system stop perpetuating them. 

One major part of the discourse surrounding George Nkencho’s murder is ‘respectability politics’. It is the belief that if you act respectable and professional (white) that you can avoid racism and oppression. This belief is extremely harmful to direct towards the Black community and for Black people to adopt. This places extreme pressure on Black people to place unrealistic standards on themselves every single day in order to be seen as deserving of careers, benefits or even life. We can not combat racism with respectability politics and forcing Black people to market themselves as non violent every single day. We must combat racism by turning our attention to the people and systems who perpetuate it, not the victims- but the actual racists- this includes the gardaí. Black people are allowed to have emotions, grieve, and exist in ways that aren’t palatable to whiteness.

Having more people of colour police or lawmakers won’t change our outcomes. We have seen this in other countries and we know that having positions of power is not the same goal as dismantling power....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

We can excuse the behavior of the brother/friends by virtue of the fact that they are mourning.

It's not true to say the behavior of the mourners is representative of the black community in Ireland and anyone who can conclude such should be ashamed of themselves.

This will blow over soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

gozunda wrote: »

What they're saying here is that 'whiteness' = law and order
    and Blackness = do what ever the fcuk ya feel like

Surely there are strong enough Black community leaders out there to denounce this horsesh1t?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They behave as if law and order where a white construct.
    A friend was visiting the Masai in Kenya.
    They have very few sexual crimes. Rapists are caught, get a tyre over their heads and its set alight. Its an effective deterrent.
    They had to protect their guests (my friends) when there was a plot to kidnap them. They put Masai warriors around the house unknown to my friends. These guys had poison tipped Spears.

African justice at its best.

newmember? wrote: »
    What they're saying here is that 'whiteness' = law and order
    and Blackness = do what ever the fcuk ya feel like

Surely there are strong enough Black community leaders out there to denounce this horsesh1t?

Or, the reactions of the Nigerian community, in the face of one of their own's death, is something that they may do culturally that whites may find unreasonable and threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

gozunda wrote: »
    All this because one individual assaulted a shop manager and threatened others ...

Take a read ...

http://merjireland.org/index.php/2021/01/04/for-george-nkencho/

That's extremism right there.

Cordell wrote: »
    I skimmed through the article, actually is not a problem if he's holding up a gang sign. They seem to suggest that it is racist to expect non whites and migrants to behave and to be non violent and respect the law, because when they don't they are just being different, and being different is just as good.
    For example, George was just going home, it just happened to wield a knife while doing so, it was just a different way of going home and he was killed for being different.
    I ****e you not, this is what they say.

Hip-hop culture is popular among black and white youths.
    There's some components of that scene that many whites and blacks don't like.
    The vast majority of those into hip-hop culture would not dream of being involved in gang activities and crime etc..
    But they present as adopting the stylings and mannerisms of that scene.
    Many whites, including police, can make unwarranted assumptions of threat or criminality from those that follow the hip-hop scenes stylings

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gothic Insanity

The vast majority of those into hip-hop culture would not dream of being involved in gang activities and crime etc..
    Many whites, including police, can make unwarranted assumptions of threat or criminality from those that follow the hip-hop scenes stylings

Years ago people were blaming metal music and video games.... It's down to individual idiots and how they are raised..... not a genre of music or what kind of hobby one has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Beltby wrote: »
    That's extremism right there.

It's just the usual racial grifting. It's patently absurd to the core.

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/1283372233730203651

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I've seen a million cringey photos on social media of eejits copying rappers throwing up gang signs, quite sure theyre not actually in the bloods or the crips. Bit of a daft pearl-clutchy thing to make a point of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-s-sister-says-she-opened-door-to-him-before-he-was-shot-1.4450000?mode=amp

So the sister will be telling GSOC she answered the door to him before he was shot.

Also conformation from Gardai on the weapon being a "kitchen knife".

It's all so much bluster and semantics though. The man had so many opportunities to drop the knife, to obey the orders of the gardai. He didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Morathi wrote: »

It's all so much bluster and semantics though. The man had so many opportunities to drop the knife, to obey the orders of the gardai. He didn't.

Strange stuff.. funeral is delayed, because the family wants an independent pathologist to perform a second autopsy. Is the cause of death not very obvious? What do they want to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Polar101 wrote: »
    Strange stuff.. funeral is delayed, because the family wants an independent pathologist to perform a second autopsy. Is the cause of death not very obvious? What do they want to find?

It would appear they are gearing up for a big claim against the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Cdemess

I throw up a Wu Tang at every photo opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kat86d

The first thing I thought about this when I heard he had been shot by guards was how could that possibly happen. The guards should be trained enough to disarm a person without taking their life, we don't live in America. His death was unwarranted and should not have happened, he didn't have a gun. I know guards that have been run at with syringes by junkies who tell them they have hiv, a threat on there lives, they didn't shoot them dead. People need to get real on this, humanity is truely lost if you think this person deserved the die in the way he did. Shocking and sick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

kat86d wrote: »
    The first thing I thought about this when I heard he had been shot by guards was how could that possibly happen. The guards should be trained enough to disarm a person without taking their life, we don't live in America. His death was unwarranted and should not have happened, he didn't have a gun. I know guards that have been run at with syringes by junkies who tell them they have hiv, a threat on there lives, they didn't shoot them dead. People need to get real on this, humanity is truely lost if you think this person deserved the die in the way he did. Shocking and sick!!!
    And I suppose in a gardai trying to disarm a person with a syringe or weapon and gets HIV or is killed it's part of the job.
    Yeah shocking and sick are people like you thinking that the gardai lives are less important than low lifes.
    If you play with fire don't start crying when you get your hands burnt.
    Shocking alright.

And I suppose in a gardai trying to disarm a person with a syringe or weapon and gets HIV or is killed it's part of the job.
    Yeah shocking and sick are people like you thinking that the gardai lives are less important than low lifes.
    If you play with fire don't start crying when you get your hands burnt.
    Shocking alright.

Yeah let's live in the world you want to live in, where people who have mental health problems get shot because a heavy handed guard lost the run of himself. He should of been disarmed and brought to justice in the proper manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah let's live in the world you want to live in, where people who have mental health problems get shot because a heavy handed guard lost the run of himself. He should of been disarmed and brought to justice in the proper manner.

I don't think the Garda lost the run of himself. By the sounds of it several different measures were used to subdue him and these failed, he was wielding a machete and attempting to attack the Gardai.

In this scenario ensuring the safety of the Gardai and general public takes priority. I agree that this very easily falls under a mental helath issue but the police are not trained to handle that, and if anything, as a nation we really should have the facilities and services in place to reduce the chances of something like this happening.

I would have absolutely no reason to believe this was racially motivated, and I'm mixed race. I've never had an issue with race with the Gardai and I doubt there's a systemic racist rot there like in the US police forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

You realise the first line of defense are the gardai, some nutter carrying a weapon is disposable, a servant of the law and order of this state is not, simple enough decision when you think of it although a decision I would hate to be faced with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How would you have disarmed him Kat?? Cuddles and lollipops??

How did you feel about the Mark Hennessey shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

How would you have disarmed him Kat?? Cuddles and lollipops??

Thoughts and prayers obviously (((((())))))

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Twitter likes don't count in here....

Utter rubbish you spout there.

Have you ever had someone try to stab you, if no then you have absolutely no idea what you are on about.....

Your thoughts are the reason that now more then ever decent human beings are dying at the hands of scum as many are now afraid to do anything to be labelled a racist etc.

We aren't in America, the 27 year old died due to his actions, he was given near 2 hours to stop, they gave him way too much time imo, he attacked others and he tried to murder those officers.

He got what was needed to stop the threat.

How many people could he have killed with your let's give him a hug mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gothic Insanity

Not this again read the prior postings!

Thoughts and prayers obviously (((((())))))

Hilarious, you obviously think I'm a pro lifer who goes to church every day. I'm just against the use of weapons for unjustified reasons end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Cdemess

Hilarious, you obviously think I'm a pro lifer who goes to church every day. I'm just against the use of weapons for unjustified reasons end of story.

But wouldn’t a syringe been seen as a weapon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The Gardai did the right thing to the best of their ability/training/resources.

The guy tried to stab more than one person, if he was a declared terrorist the mood would be different.

I'm glad no Garda or member of public was seriously hurt. I hope Wayne is recovering well.

Now saying all that, the Gardai need to get better training. The guy was in his parent and siblings house, cornered (or perhaps they were fearful he'd harm his family). There must be other resources or methods to slow him down out there that the Gardai have to skill up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Were you there, he whom armed himself with a knife you are very right....

He was a wannabe murderer and luckily he was stopped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement