Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm new to this incident so I'd love some facts instead of falsehoods and lies on Facebook.

1 So this guy (the one who was shot) did he or did he not have multiple convictions prior to being shot dead?

2 What exactly was the crime he committed before being shot dead?

3 Are the images circulating on Facebook (of the injuries to his victims face) genuine or fake?

What exactly did he do to his victim (or victims)?

The Facts would be very welcome.

1. Why would that matter?
    2. He put a Garda's life at risk, that is why he was shot.
    3. Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Today with Philip Boucher-Hayes giving a good hearing to the narrative that George Nkencho was an upstanding member of the community, the killing was wicked and callous and justice needs to be done.
    Only one lesson needs to be learnt here. Don't lunge at a policeman with a knife, especially if you have stabbed someone else already with it.
    Theres no limit to the hero worship of bad hombres in the black communities it would seem

How can someone who has wielded a deadly weapon at AGS members be an upstanding member of the community? This isnt a race based killing, this is an action based decision based on the greater good. And the correct decision was taken by the AGS member

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Question is, could they have shot him in the shoulder or the leg? Why shoot to kill?

Bit excessive to shoot him dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Question is, could they have shot him in the shoulder or the leg? Why shoot to kill?

Bit excessive?
    Why dont you pause and make the SJW acceptable decision when a madman with a machete is running for you?

What a silly suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

ELM327 wrote: »
    Theres no limit to the hero worship of bad hombres in the black communities it would seem

How can someone who has wielded a deadly weapon at AGS members be an upstanding member of the community? This isnt a race based killing, this is an action based decision based on the greater good. And the correct decision was taken by the AGS member

The same hero worship exists in our forever-dole communities. Cut them all off I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

He did make an error about slavery and Ireland/Britain. However, he was not demanding land.

He's speaking about equity and needing land. You clearly don't understand what equity means in the social justice context.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

He did make an error about slavery and Ireland/Britain. However, he was not demanding land.

Did he later correct his error to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Should have dropped a net out of a helicopter....

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Ah Jaysus this thread is going around in circles.

No it’s not Hollywood..Gardai shoot to stop a threat, therefore aim for largest part of the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

shooting is a last resort, and essentially to immobilize a threat cops are trained to aim for biggest area(torso) not actually that easy to shoot a gun and aim for a small target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

At the point you use a gun, you have exhausted any other means. Aiming for a flailing arm/leg means risk as these can move. Aim for the mot static part of the body

They are trained to aim for centre of mass. Pulling off Hollywood trick shots could easily hit an innocent bystander.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Real life isn't a John Wayne movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Was he weilding a machete when shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I knew you were a pro-george type by asking those 3 questions. You thought you were being clever by saying "how you didnt know much about it" ;)

Rather than just coming out and saying what you want to say you are tip toeing around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

They should have shot the chimney, resulting in a brick dropping down and bouncing off his head to incapacitate him.

Saw some guy say they should have shot the knife out of his hand with loads of people agreeing with him, kinda funny that people think like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not this again.. FFS read the thread. Stop thinking Hollywood movies are factual. Police are trained to aim for the torso as the biggest target. A missed round could injure or kill someone else. Try shooting a pistol at a fast moving dangerous target and being specific about the placement of rounds. Being shot in the leg can have someone bleed out more quickly than a lung shot. Never mind that until the report comes out we don't know where the first shot(s) went. He could have been hit in the arm/shoulder. Oh and he they tried pepper spray and a taser(twice) first.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No. A kitchen knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I hope I am wrong but cannot help feel we are going to get a guard thrown under a bus for this

In a way, that might be for the better. I'd imagine most people in the country know a guard, whether it's a friend, family member or a relative of a friend, and we don't want to see them get hurt. The backlash from the public if the state effectively give carte blanche for scumbags to attack guards might actually swing things back to being more sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am not going to make a judgment on whether the Guards did the right thing, but what I did find awful was the reporting of the incident. I don't remember the gentleman that shot dead Garda Colm Horkan being referred to as a thug. The incident was similar in that the man's family were trying to get him hospitalised and he was rampaging around the town threatening people until Garda Horkan tackled him. But I don't remember anyone calling him a thug.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/colm-horkan-shooting-castlerea-roscommon-22211849

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

A knife of some sort. Very easy to find the video of the incident online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Saw some guy say they should have shot the knife out of his hand with loads of people agreeing with him, kinda funny that people think like that.

Idiots with no sense of cop on :p
    People who cannot separate what they see in the movies and real life...

They must think every armed guard is John Wick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I'm new to this incident so I'd love some facts instead of falsehoods and lies on Facebook.

1 So this guy (the one who was shot) did he or did he not have multiple convictions prior to being shot dead?

2 What exactly was the crime he committed before being shot dead?

3 Are the images circulating on Facebook (of the injuries to his victims face) genuine or fake?

What exactly did he do to his victim (or victims)?

The Facts would be very welcome.

1. It would appear he did not have multiple convictions - that meme going around is false
    2. It would appear :
    (a) Assault causing harm in the Spar for punching the shop worker.
    (b) Public order
    (c) Possession of an offensive weapon

3. Fake - it appears the most common one was of slashed faces of a soccer fan taken randomly.

OTHER FACTS:
    The gardai would have a risk assessment done. They would assess the threat to life of members of the public and garda members.
    They deploy pepper spray which is not as effective in this situation as you have to be quite close to the target.

They deployed tazers which again are not as effective as people seem to think - if you search for studies on it - it shows effectiveness can be as low as 19% depending on clothing / adrenaline / drugs and a large number of factors.

When shooting at a target -police forces do not aim for the leg they are trained worldwide to aim at the largest target which is the torso. This is not for the purpose of killing but it does often result in that.
    Aiming at the legs or arms is difficult as to stop the person you need to hit the bone which is an awful lot narrower than the leg itself.

There is video evidence of the shooting and the chap is swinging rather wildly what appears to be a large knife ( but the footage is only fair quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am not going to make a judgment on whether the Guards did the right thing, but what I did find awful was the reporting of the incident. I don't remember the gentleman that shot dead Garda Colm Horkan being referred to as a thug. The incident was similar in that the man's family were trying to get him hospitalised and he was rampaging around the town threatening people until Garda Horkan tackled him. But I don't remember anyone calling him a thug.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/colm-horkan-shooting-castlerea-roscommon-22211849

Dublinlive refer to loads of people as thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Imagine trying to shoot him in the shoulder and misjudging, you either end up with a stray bullet going who knows where, or you shoot the poor bastard in the neck, where if he's not killed instantly he gets to choke to death on his own blood........

It’s on RTÉ radio at the moment.

A very aggressive man “lecturing” the journalist Barry lenihan. His name was given but can’t recall it. Almost sure it was “doctor” such and such.

He went off on one when the reporter very very cautiously asked about the incident with George in the spar pre the shooting.

He didn’t address any of the concerns but rather went on a crazed rant - came across so badly on radio.

Yer man also says that the family want a new house because they can’t return to their existing house - something about against their cultures was mentioned

Also the man went off on a rant when Barry lenihan mentioned the violent protests.

Overall came across as a nasty individual who seemed to be hell bent on intimidating the RTÉ journalist.

Tick. And the pendulum swings further to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

AGS tried to disarm him with hugs and then the Jedi mind trick thing.

Didn't work so they decided to disarm him with racism bullets.

Lux23 wrote: »

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gardai-dublin-attack-luas-warning-19537857
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-gang-attack-gardai-picture-19510017
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/stabbing-dublin-bloody-attack-gardai-19497749

That's just 3 in the past month, Dublin live always use thug, nothing to do with him being black as portrayed by some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

There is a tonne of misinformation out there. According to his brother it was a butter knife, according to randomers it was a machete But based on reports (like this https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-s-sister-says-she-opened-door-to-him-before-he-was-shot-1.4450000) it was a kitchen knife now to put that into perspective just google the term kitchen knife https://www.google.com/search?q=kitchen+knife&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjS6u2T1oTuAhVSuXEKHUmpDAcQ_AUoAXoECBEQAw&biw=2560&bih=1367#imgrc=h7MIFvF9IdteAM and you will see a range like Cucina_012.jpg

So I know if someone was wielding pretty much any of these I would not be trying to take them on one on one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement