Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am not going to make a judgment on whether the Guards did the right thing, but what I did find awful was the reporting of the incident. I don't remember the gentleman that shot dead Garda Colm Horkan being referred to as a thug. The incident was similar in that the man's family were trying to get him hospitalised and he was rampaging around the town threatening people until Garda Horkan tackled him. But I don't remember anyone calling him a thug.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/colm-horkan-shooting-castlerea-roscommon-22211849

Thug may have been used to describe his actions previous to his death.

Rather than people are sick of black people, maybe the less politicised truth is people are sick of thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm new to this incident so I'd love some facts instead of falsehoods and lies on Facebook.

1 So this guy (the one who was shot) did he or did he not have multiple convictions prior to being shot dead?

There is nothing official to say that George Nkencho had any previous convictions. There is nothing official to say that George Nkencho was on bail at the time of this incident.
    2 What exactly was the crime he committed before being shot dead?

He assaulted a worker in Eurospar rendering the man hospitalised. George had a “large knife” in his person at this time but by all accounts did not use it to inflict any physical damage on the worker. The crime which caused him his life was caught on video and shows him lunging at Armed Gardai in a slashing/hacking motion. It is generally accepted the “large knife” from before was being used here. So basically his all-but- confirmed crimes were the assault on the worker and endangering the life of a Garda. Not to mention possession of an instrument in circumstances unbecoming and public order offences. There has been claims of attempted robbery too but I’m not 100% clear on that so will refrain.
    3 Are the images circulating on Facebook (of the injuries to his victims face) genuine or fake?

Real images but of a completely different incident in the UK and nothing to do with Nkencho or the injured party from Eurospar. Circulated as “fake news”, in essence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Story on Claire Byrne Live RTE Radio 1 (Boucher-Hayes is presenting)
    Nkencho solictor making statements from the Nkenchos.
    They are taking action against false memes about convictions.
    They are meeting GSOC this week.
    They are very upset.

A black community leader - he's blaming the media for portraying him as a dog(?) I haven't seen that at all, in fact the opposite. His community is very frightened he says.
    The mother is still in shock (naturally)

Another local, a black doctor - 'that could have been my son'...

Vague general mention of incidents, nothing mentioned about racism on display from members of the black community.
    Threatening language from brother (though not mentioning him) is mentioned to.

Jack Chambers (FF local TD) mentioning the intimidation over the past 6 days and that is not acceptable in any way.

Nothing mentioned about politicians and other figures immediately drawing racism into the events.

An 'oh dear' from Boucher-Hayes at the end.

Don’t think he said “dog” I THINK he said “thug” in a heavy accent - hard to fully understand him as he was in rant mode and it wasn’t clear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Saw some guy say they should have shot the knife out of his hand with loads of people agreeing with him, kinda funny that people think like that.
    Cop and cowboy flics have informed their "knowledge" on it. Hell, it's been shown that people will often fall down when they know they've been shot because that's what the expect to happen, because that's what they've seen in films and TV. In reports of shoot outs in the actual old west before film and TV people are regularly reported to have kept going and returning fire after being hit. One reason gunfighters lawmen and otherwise often favoured shotguns was because they had more stopping/wounding power*.

*Again contrary to movies and popular belief it's not because a shotgun fires a wide angled spread of projectiles. At man to man gunfight ranges the size of spread of a shotgun is not much more than the size of the bore of the barrel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

ELM327 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/george-nkencho-32-convictions-factcheck-5315584-Jan2021/

The convictions are false but whatever way you look at it, attacking unarmed gardai with a machete is not going to go down well.

The correct decision was taken.

The family were the ones who initially said that he was known to the Gardai when they claimed the Gardai should have been aware of his mental health issues.

The family also spread lies about the weapon (claimed it was a butter knife), the Spar incident (claimed nobody was hurt), the number of gardai involved (claimed over 30 gardai couldn't disarm him), the events leading to the shooting (claimed the Gardai never used a taser) and the shooting itself (claimed he was shot while on the ground 10 seconds after he went down). All of these were shared on social media, some by high profile people and public representatives along with a lot of other misinformation about him being shot in the back.

A family member was also questioned over video footage where he was apparently calling for the death of the Garda who shot George.

There's been so much lies and misinformation spread by the family themselves that it's a bit rich they're now engaging with the Gardai through legal representation about misinformation posted online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

White, black, pink, orange, purple, grey, if you go around attacking people you can rightly be labeled a thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

titan18 wrote: »
    Dublinlive refer to loads of people as thugs.

You're right there, but did they call this man a thug?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/detective-garda-colm-horkan-murder-18450858

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

TomTomTim wrote: »
    He's speaking about equity and needing land. You clearly don't understand what equity means in the social justice context.

Equity in social justice does not mean to hand over land for free. He never said that. I’m pretty sure he was saying to the people there that they should buy land and set up businesses, not be handed them. I think you are reading too much into something that was not said.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Question is, could they have shot him in the shoulder or the leg? Why shoot to kill?

Bit excessive to shoot him dead?

This has been answers roughly 572929947292 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not this again.. FFS read the thread. Stop thinking Hollywood movies are factual. Police are trained to aim for the torso as the biggest target. A missed round could injure or kill someone else. Try shooting a pistol at a fast moving dangerous target and being specific about the placement of rounds. Being shot in the leg can have someone bleed out more quickly than a lung shot. Never mind that until the report comes out we don't know where the first shot(s) went. He could have been hit in the arm/shoulder. Oh and he they tried pepper spray and a taser(twice) first.

The garda fired at his torso(assuming standard procedure was followed) and missed 40% of the time, but you have clowns going on about instead aiming for a smaller and faster moving target. Either a serious error in logic being displayed by some posters or willful ****-stirring.

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »

But a man that murdered a Guard doesn't get that moniker? I don't think this is just a racial thing myself, class has a lot to do with it too.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/detective-garda-colm-horkan-murder-18450858

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I am not going to make a judgment on whether the Guards did the right thing, but what I did find awful was the reporting of the incident. I don't remember the gentleman that shot dead Garda Colm Horkan being referred to as a thug. The incident was similar in that the man's family were trying to get him hospitalised and he was rampaging around the town threatening people until Garda Horkan tackled him. But I don't remember anyone calling him a thug.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/colm-horkan-shooting-castlerea-roscommon-22211849

Thats your only issue with the incident?

The perpetrator being called a "thug"?

Heres a dictionary definition of "thug": "A violent person, especially a criminal".

He has displayed violence and his acts are classed as criminal, i.e a racial assault.

Very apt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Did he later correct his error to the public?

No idea, and he may have if the liberal (or content provider) didn’t cut the clip to suit their agenda.

Have you retracted everything that you ever said was wrong?

Thats your only issue with the incident?

The perpetrator being called a "thug"?

Heres a dictionary definition of "thug": "A violent person, especially a criminal".

He has displayed violence and his acts are classed as criminal, i.e a racial assault.

Very apt

But killing a Guard isn't a criminal act?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I knew you were a pro-george type by asking those 3 questions. You thought you were being clever by saying "how you didnt know much about it" ;)

Rather than just coming out and saying what you want to say you are tip toeing around it.

I actually know bugger all about it, that's why I'm asking. More important things going on in my life at the mo but now I want to know what happened seeing as they're talking about it in the radio.

I'm not on Facebook (thankfully) as the reporter on the RTE was saying that there is a massive amount of falsehoods circulating.

A few basic for me please would be good.

He may well have been a raving drug fuelled lunatic who needed to be taken down, but I just asked a few questions and I've got some answers.

Was it definitely a Machete?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is your argument that as they didn't call one particular person a thug that it was racist/not acceptable to call George a thug, despite the fact that they label loads thugs?

But a man that murdered a Guard doesn't get that moniker? I don't think this is just a racial thing myself, class has a lot to do with it too.

They called him a killer. They seem to use thug for violent offenders to juice up the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I actually know bugger all about it, that's why I'm asking. More important things going on in my life at the mo but now I want to know what happened seeing as they're talking about it in the radio.

I'm not on Facebook (thankfully) as the reporter on the RTE was saying that there is a massive amount of falsehoods circulating.

He may well have been a raving drug fuelled lunatic who needed to be taken down, but I just asked a few questions and I've got some answers.

You are not fooling nobody :)
    Go on, build up to your little moment when you say "well lads based on all you told me the guards were racist"

As I said before, you think you are clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No , it was a light sabre, like the Stars Wars ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Far as I’m concerned anyone regardless of colour/race is a complete thug if they stage an attack on a shop.

Thug is a mild description of what I call such ppl

• Advertisement

Gardai said it was a kitchen knife. Witnesses in spar said it was a large knife.

titan18 wrote: »
    Is your argument that as they didn't call one particular person a thug that it was racist/not acceptable to call George a thug, despite the fact that they label loads thugs?

I think my argument is that they shouldn't label anyone a thug until they are at least convicted, and even at that I still think it is a hateful word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Far as I’m concerned anyone regardless of colour/race is a complete thug if they stage an attack on a shop.

Thug is a mild description of what I call such ppl

More American imported nonsense

The Racially Charged Meaning Behind The Word 'Thug'

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I think my argument is that they shouldn't label anyone a thug until they are at least convicted, and even at that I still think it is a hateful word.

You don't have to be convicted to be a thug. Punching that guy in spar and putting him in hospital over nothing was thuggish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What a bout using Cunnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody who assaults a shop manager and threatens people with a knife is a thug. Anybody who continues to threaten armed gardai with a knife after being tasered and pepper sprayed is a stupid thug. No convictions necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

How in the name if God is it hateful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What newspaper has called Gentle George a thug??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is thuggery a crime?

It's a word befitting his actions, so I've no issue with it.

• Advertisement

What newspaper has called Gentle George a thug??

Dublin Live which is owned by the Irish Mirror Group.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement