Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Mules wrote: »
    How in the name if God is it hateful?

Yeah, i mean how dare we call him a thug. It's not like he put an innocent Spar employee in hospital with serious head injuries after beating the sh1t out of him for no reason. The real problem is calling poor George a thug :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think my argument is that they shouldn't label anyone a thug until they are at least convicted, and even at that I still think it is a hateful word.

Papers in Ireland use the word 'thug' all the time, don't see any issue with it myself, headlines are usually sensationalist anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think my argument is that they shouldn't label anyone a thug until they are at least convicted, and even at that I still think it is a hateful word.

Probably but they're the equivalent to the likes of the Mirror (owned by some crowd as Mirror) or Sun, rather than an actual reputable media organisation. Those people have labelled people far worse with even less evidence than dublinlive calling George a thug (think Hillsborough or the Depp case as examples)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

You certainly have your priorities in order.. concerned about calling a person a thug when that’s exactly what he was.. you seem to have no concern for the man assaulted in the shop or the Gardai threatened with a knife by George.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on that car crash interview on RTÉ earlier ...

Have to say... I have a feeling the ultra aggressive media stance George’s family “representatives” are taking will backfire spectacularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This reminds me of Louise O'Neill being offended by people calling the lads who ruined Lidl scumbags.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dublin Live which is owned by the Irish Mirror Group.

The Sun referred to Colm Horkan's killer as a thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Question is, could they have shot him in the shoulder or the leg? Why shoot to kill?

He was a threat to the Gardai and others so that is why they shot him. In shooting him, they had to make sure he was neutralised and couldn't attack them so they had to shoot him until they were sure he couldn't attack any more. Unfortunately that involved him dying.

And as has been said 1000 times before, it's very very difficult to hit a small moving target. And quite dangerous to try.
    Bit excessive to shoot him dead?

Absolutely not (in my opinion).

He may well have been a raving drug fuelled lunatic who needed to be taken down, but I just asked a few questions and I've got some answers.

Was it definitely a Machete?

It doesn't matter if it was a machete or not. It was a knife. He still had the potential to do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

titan18 wrote: »
    Probably but they're the equivalent to the likes of the Mirror (owned by some crowd as Mirror) or Sun, rather than an actual reputable media organisation. Those people have labelled people far worse with even less evidence than dublinlive calling George a thug (think Hillsborough or the Depp case as examples)

Well, I don't know about Depp as he lost the case, but Hillsborough is a perfect example of papers rushing to make judgements to sell papers or as it is now get website hits! The Editor of Dublin Live was boasting on LinkedIn about how many hits the site got last week, and guess what was the top story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's a bit difficult to convict him now (not meant as a pisstake about a dead man)

Is thug another word for the 'list', as usual set by Americans, again?
    Nothing to do with this country or anyone from any country that lives here.
    https://www.nytimes.com/times-insider/2015/05/01/how-loaded-is-the-word-thug-readers-react/

I have used thug to describe thugs since I began witnessing/noticing thuggish and scumbag behaviour over 45 years ago.

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It's a bit difficult to convict him now (not meant as a pisstake about a dead man)

Is thug another word for the 'list', as usual set by Americans, again?
    Nothing to do with this country or anyone from any country that lives here.
    https://www.nytimes.com/times-insider/2015/05/01/how-loaded-is-the-word-thug-readers-react/

I have used thug to describe thugs since I began witnessing/noticing thuggish and scumbag behaviour over 45 years ago.

You're not a newspaper editor though, you're entitled to express that opinion and I have no problem with you using the word as you don't have any sway over public opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

ASOT wrote: »
    White, black, pink, orange, purple, grey, if you go around attacking people you can rightly be labeled a thug.

Now what you hear is not a test: I'm rappin' to the beat
    And me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet

givyjoe wrote: »
    Hmm, that's potentially a bit defamatory no?

Yet, a dead man is free game because you can't defame a dead person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

You are not fooling nobody :)
    Go on, build up to your little moment when you say "well lads based on all you told me the guards were racist"

As I said before, you think you are clever.

When it comes to this story I am certainly not clever, and I'm not trying to fool anybody as I haven't made any accusations against anyone or their race. Indeed I never mentioned race.

I just dropped into this thread a couple of pages ago and asked a few questions, and so now that I see what a contentious & prickly issue it is I'll drop out straight away.

I'm not blaming the Guards for shooting him, and I'm not sure he needed to die, then again maybe they acted in the best interest of the public. I asked if he could have been wounded instead of killed, and apparently it's not that easy in the real world (to just wound), fair enough then if the other methods had failed to take him down.

I'm done with this, bye.

guyfo wrote: »
    You and I have a very different interpretation of the phrase "not guilty"

And what was George Nkencho found guilty off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

But killing a Guard isn't a criminal act?

I think you are getting too hooked up on your outrage to see that "thug" is an appropriate term.

Its not a term that HAS to be applied to all AGS events.

I have outlined what the word means, accept it or dont accept it, its up to you. However if you dont accept it as an apt term, well, you have some misplaced agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Here's a question for all those I've seen on social media questioning the peaceful resolution of other cases involving manic knifemen.

Have any of these people the slightest piece of proof that armed Gardai in these instances were circa 3 feet from an attacking knifeman, as appears to be the case in the video we saw, and still refused to shoot the man?

Or in the vast majority of the cases, was the sight of armed Gardai within firing distance enough to persuade them to disarm? Something that should have crossed George's mind when the gun wielding Gardai decided tasers and gas were the best option first?

Various idiots have contrasted the response of the Blanch ERU to an incident they were a part of some months ago.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5570770/taxi-driver-suspected-killing-wife-tried-take-life/

The fact this man seems to have incapacitated himself by way of suicide attempt by the time the guards reached him, and thus was likely in no physical condition to lunge out, seems lost on them.

Are you for real? First of all, correct as that is literally the law. Secondly, Paddy Jackson was found not guilty. Thirdly, there's fcuking eye witnesses of this guy beating the crap out of the Spar employee and video footage of him swinging a large knife at a guards head.

Like, there's whataboutery, then there is this outrageous level of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lads, get back on topic please.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Are you for real? First of all, correct as that is literally the law. Secondly, Paddy Jackson was found not guilty. Thirdly, there's fcuking eye witnesses of this guy beating the crap out of the Spar employee and video footage of him swinging a large knife at a guards head.

Like, there's whataboutery, then there is this outrageous level of nonsense.

So it is wrong to label a person that hasn't been convicted of anything a thug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I just don't agree with the media labelling a dead man a thug.

He is dead for no other reason than acting like a thug.... what is your issue with the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I cannot believe that posters are getting hung up on the term Thug.
    From the time I was growing up (I'm 46 btw) the term thug was always used to describe someone that had done something wrong i.e. threatened someone or bet the crap out of them.
    I just googled the term and this came up from the UK https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gamer-mugged-at-knifepoint-by-thug-pretending-to-sell-ps-5-144925089.html

If you are really getting hung up on a term like thug you need to look at your priorities.
    If the reporting is true that George did beat the crap out of the manager in eurospar then quite rightly he is a thug. not even going in on the rest of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

What would you label George as considering his actions on the day he died?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

There have been plenty of people that have violently assaulted members of the public that have been labelled "thugs" by the Tabloids and they have not been convicted of anything.

It is particularly prevalent in the UK, where those that have assaulted individuals have been labelled this during the trial. Before they have been convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

What would you label a person who assaulted shop worked and tried to stab Garda :confused:

nullzero wrote: »
    Here's the text of her latest tweet;

"Saying a prayer this evening for the family and friends of #GeorgeNkencho who are grieving and for Black people in Ireland who have to worry about racist violence everyday.
    #JusticeforGeorgeNkencho"

Do black people in Ireland have to worry about "racist violence" every day?

Goebbels Big Lie in action.

Twitter is a cess pit and it's management openly allow this type of divisive drivel have a platform, they should be ashamed of themselves, but we all know they're proud of themselves instead.

No they don't.
    My other half is black (but I'm a racist)
    They've been in Ireland 12 years.
    Once a piessed off woman who was driving told him go back to his own country (racially motivated some would say we call it low IQ idiot)
    Once during a sport game where some northern farmers called him a black b@#stard (definitely racism) but again could fall under the low IQ small minded idiot bracket.
    But nothing else..
    Why?
    Because he works, integrates, and most importantly leaves the kitchen knives in the kitchen where they belong.

Is this a joke? Like, come on, this can't be a serious question? Surely to Christ you can tell the difference between the two cases? There is no question of George's guilt, it was literally captured on camera. He obviously can't be tried in court as he's dead. There is very much a doubt around Paddy Jacksons guilt, hence he wasn't found guilty!

Absolutely bizarre take, you seem to be more offended by this chap being called a thug, after he verifiably tried to kill a guard and put some else in hospital.

Honestly, what is your point?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

afro man wrote: »
    What would you label a person who assaulted shop worked and tried to stab Garda :confused:

misunderstood [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Thug is not a criminal term, it's a colloquialism, and an apt one in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Mimon, dont post in this thread again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement