Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ridiculously stupid comment to be honest. A facebook comment does not represent the left.
    Indeed, one comment is just one voice of few/many.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why should you have to be a doctor or engineer to afford your own home in your own country.

you dont but you might need to be one to own one in a very specific address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Asus X540L wrote: »
    No offense but that seems a little defeatist.

I don't know the age of your children but what's stopping them becoming doctors or engineers etc and buying their own property?

Tbf, I'm a data engineer/data analyst and I can't afford a house. You need two decent to well paying jobs to afford a house unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you dont but you might need to be one to own one in a very specific address ?

I know totally where you are coming from. Lots of things wrong with housing prices,allocations etc. In this country but better not derail the thread. For another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

All this talk about racism is mind-numbingly boring. There is no such thing as racism between humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

gypsy79 wrote: »
    They are hated all over Africa. It is why they are displayed as they are in District 9

I think South Africans hate Nigerians more than white people lol

I have known quite a few African people over the years including Nigerians. Just through here and there and yeah its true. Nigerians are often seen as "the worst" of the Africans. They know this themselves. One Nigerian guy I know told me an example of Nigeria. Say you are buying a phone in a shop. The man will show it to you and it will work fine. He will then say "I'll just package it up for you" while he is really swapping for another one that doesn't work. So you have to be firm and say "no, no I want THAT one" - basically he meant as in everyone is trying to pull a fast one. Doesn't matter what it is.

Interesting facts about Nigeria actually:
    There are several "tribes" (like over 10) and they all speak their own language. So over here we'd only see say two people as Nigerian - to them one could be Yoruba and the other could be Igbo. That's like one is from Dublin and the other Cork for us. But they couldn't speak to the other unless one knew the others language. But there is a common ground - English - but more times or not it's broken English called "pidgin". So next time anyone hears an African speaking what sounds like English - but is not quite. It's pidgin.

You also get a lot of tribes not liking the other :p so while a lot of Africans as a whole won't say good things generally about Nigerians, Nigerians themselves won't say good things about other tribes.

maxresdefault.jpg
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, I'm a data engineer/data analyst and I can't afford a house. You need two decent to well paying jobs to afford a house unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere.
    Not that this is at all relevant to the shooting of a thug, but I work as a risk data analyst, my partner works in customer success management (fancy title for CRM) and we are currently living in my investment property and hoping to move in a few months to our "forever home" (hate that term).

If you have two reasonably paid jobs you can afford a decent house even in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

But there is a common ground - English - but more times or not it's broken English called "pidgin". So next time anyone hears an African speaking what sounds like English - but is not quite. It's pidgin.

maxresdefault.jpg
    :pac:

There's a major difference between English with a Nigerian accent which is taught in schools there and the more common Pidgin.

I used to work with Nigerian lads speaking Pidgin to each other and it came as a major surprise when they said it was English as I didn't make out one word.

I would know alot of them and their Irish raised offspring and in general they are not a major problem. Most of them are sound although it's fairly clear that most of them are in Ireland under false pretences. What genuine asylum seekers go back on holiday to the country they fear when they get their Irish passport or leave to stay?

That said I'd probably want to get out of there too as Nigeria is by all accounts a corrupt kip.

As can be seen in the past week, there is a growing problem with gangs in places where there is large numbers of African immigrants. Where I live and work, kids of immigrants all have local accents and generally hang around with Irish kids as there are not that many and they integrate quite well.

Listening to the ones in Blanch and other places with their faux London-Jamican accents, it's pretty clear that there is little integration at all. They're not even replicating the culture of their parents and instead model themselves on the London drill scene.

Guards need to come down heavy on these types before we get a serious knife crime problem like what's happening in some English cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    I said earlier that the Left were against private property but someone disagreed.

This is the sort of person we need to kick out of the country right now! They would be much happier somewhere else.

Somebody who encapsulates all their dislikes into a nebulous term like "The Left" has no place in a multifaceted democracy like ours, where there is a multitude of political parties, a variety of choices to express one's point of view and the ability to target one's vote, or votes, as a very accurate means of support for one's preferred position.

This person should really go away and live in a more bipolar, black and white (or should that be blue and red?) society where you make your choices based on finding a point of view that you REALLY don't like, identifying somebody who expresses something vaguely in support of it (preferably on Twitter) and then lumping everyone who might share an inch of common ground with that person on other unrelated issues into a collective identity such as "the Left", "the Woke", the "Liberals", the "Snowflakes" or "the Right", the "Racists", or the "privileged".

Britain and America are excellent examples. But be warned that blue means red and red blue depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on.

It's a tough choice in a bipolar society!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

All this talk about racism is mind-numbingly boring. There is no such thing as racism between humans.

Ya that whole apartheid thing was fake news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rezident wrote: »
    Why is there no media reporting of the violent "protests"?

Well bar some D15 scumbags using it as an opportunity to cause mayham, there havent been any violent protests since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Britain and America are excellent examples. But be warned that blue means red and red blue depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on.

Mmmmm does it though....the Dems are further right than the Tories so your statement is ridonkulous and incorrect

Treppen wrote: »
    Ya that whole apartheid thing was fake news.

Your ignorance is staggering.

Apartheid was about the colour of someone's skin, racism is not possible between humans.

What are they teaching in schools these days, seems like we have not progressed as much as we might have hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Your ignorance is staggering.

Apartheid was about the colour of someone's skin, racism is not possible between humans.

What are they teaching in schools these days, seems like we have not progressed as much as we might have hoped.

The dictionary definition of racism does exist between humans.....and skin color is one part of it.

Unless you mean that it is just part of human nature? If so, I agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is the sort of person we need to kick out of the country right now! They would be much happier somewhere else.

Somebody who encapsulates all their dislikes into a nebulous term like "The Left" has no place in a multifaceted democracy like ours, where there is a multitude of political parties, a variety of choices to express one's point of view and the ability to target one's vote, or votes, as a very accurate means of support for one's preferred position.

This person should really go away and live in a more bipolar, black and white (or should that be blue and red?) society where you make your choices based on finding a point of view that you REALLY don't like, identifying somebody who expresses something vaguely in support of it (preferably on Twitter) and then lumping everyone who might share an inch of common ground with that person on other unrelated issues into a collective identity such as "the Left", "the Woke", the "Liberals", the "Snowflakes" or "the Right", the "Racists", or the "privileged".

It's a tough choice in a bipolar society!

You're almost there, you nearly got it. It's almost like the term "left" is related in the Irish context to those who spend their days on social media getting all their political views/news from Americans, who then end up trying to transpose said views on their own nation. You can see this on this site alone, where terms like Alt Right, incel, and white privilege are regularly used by said group. If anything it's them that should be leaving the country and bringing their American politics with them. I personally, honestly, become political purely because I knew this nonsense would end up on our shores, and it did.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Mmmmm does it though....the Dems are further right than the Tories so your statement is ridonkulous and incorrect

Attempting to analyse politics today in terms of "the left" and "the right" is ridonkulous because however you assign traits to one or the other, you will be wrong.

Neither means anything any more. Both are classic examples of "identity politics", something with which you label your opponents and then denounce as contemptible to discredit them. It may be ironic that many of those who indulge in the bipolar disorder of "left" v "right" are the loudest in denouncing Identity Politics but there you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

chosen1 wrote: »
    There's a major difference between English with a Nigerian accent which is taught in schools there and the more common Pidgin.

I used to work with Nigerian lads speaking Pidgin to each other and it came as a major surprise when they said it was English as I didn't make out one word.

I would know alot of them and their Irish raised offspring and in general they are not a major problem. Most of them are sound although it's fairly clear that most of them are in Ireland under false pretences. What genuine asylum seekers go back on holiday to the country they fear when they get their Irish passport or leave to stay?

That said I'd probably want to get out of there too as Nigeria is by all accounts a corrupt kip.

As can be seen in the past week, there is a growing problem with gangs in places where there is large numbers of African immigrants. Where I live and work, kids of immigrants all have local accents and generally hang around with Irish kids as there are not that many and they integrate quite well.

Listening to the ones in Blanch and other places with their faux London-Jamican accents, it's pretty clear that there is little integration at all. They're not even replicating the culture of their parents and instead model themselves on the London drill scene.

Guards need to come down heavy on these types before we get a serious knife crime problem like what's happening in some English cities.

The BBC Pidgin page is unintentionally hilarious.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-41171196

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Paul Murphy suggested or almost accused the AGS of racial motivations for the killing.

Rachel Chu hasn't been far behind.

Brid Smith also.

All before the independent review was even conducted.

accused, or just stated that in their opinion it was?
    there is a big difference, and neither are illegal, even if unhelpful.
    the review will make it's findings, whatever those will be, so a couple of minority politicians stating their opinion is really a non-issue.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It was you who said we had

i did, and like the others who are engaging in certain things that are being claimed they are engaging in, they should also be put through the processes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The BBC Pidgin page is unintentionally hilarious.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-41171196

What the FLOCK is that????? And why doesn't it have a Translate button?

Me got a surr head affa readin dat, RaasClaat.

And dis tori be eben funnier ha ha.

Gotta be a windup!

• Advertisement

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering becoming a white supremacist. Not for the racism though, purely the power, as according to people like you they seem to shape the world and control everything.

Again more ignorance. Instead of posting nonsense, try using the internet, and learn something.

In the first step towards your rehabilitation, let me assist you.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-genetics-science-africa/

accused, or just stated that in their opinion it was?
    there is a big difference, and neither are illegal, even if unhelpful.
    the review will make it's findings, whatever those will be, so a couple of minority politicians stating their opinion is really a non-issue.

i did, and like the others who are engaging in certain things that are being claimed they are engaging in, they should also be put through the processes.

Thinly veiled accusations disguised as "just asking questions".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Merj, ebun Joseph, Luke O'Neil all have their Twitter accounts so you can't post, they must know you or vet you basically so you can't question their ideology.

The way around that is quote retweeting. The only way to stop retweeting of your tweets is to lock down your account but anyone who wants any kind of profile won’t want to do that.

I quote retweet former UK politician Eric Joyce all the time. He’s a convicted child sex offender who enjoys pontificating to others on Twitter. He has replying to his tweets blocked. But every tweet he posts has way more quote retweets than likes. It’s really funny. It’s the new form of tweet ratioing. And it means more people become aware of his crimes than if he kept replies switched on. A total self-own.

Of course it is. We could all find millions of examples. Its a riduculous oversimplification of the world we live in to claim racism doesnt technically exist.

Give me one example of racism that I am not going to say is an example of discrimination.

Just because you are not accepting of science, does not make it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering becoming a white supremacist. Not for the racism though, purely the power, as according to people like you they seem to shape the world and control everything.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

We could go back and forth all day long, it will not change the science no matter how many words you type.
    And you highlighting what the word racism really means, or what it should mean, and that people are using it incorrectly, won't change the fact that the word has taken on a different meaning and is used with that new meaning within a certain context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Again more ignorance. Instead of posting nonsense, try using the internet, and learn something.

In the first step towards your rehabilitation, let me assist you.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-genetics-science-africa/
    All non-Africans today, the genetics tells us, are descended from a few thousand humans who left Africa maybe 60,000 years ago. These migrants were most closely related to groups that today live in East Africa, including the Hadza of Tanzania. Because they were just a small subset of Africa’s population, the migrants took with them only a fraction of its genetic diversity.

Somewhere along the way, perhaps in the Middle East, the travelers met and had sex with another human species, the Neanderthals; farther east they encountered yet another, the Denisovans....

I mean, ...

Edit, i didnt see who i was responding to, never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You have added absolutely nothing to the conversation. The point is that racism does not exist between humans. All humans are of the same race. It's that simple, yet so difficult for so many to accept.

We could go back and forth all day long, it will not change the science no matter how many words you type.

definition by usage trumps your "science".

definition by usage trumps your "science".

I see its maybe a bit too difficult for a lot of the intellectually challenged in here.

Just accept that you're the same race as the ginger-haired man, the black-skinned man, and get over it.

I could not care less if people are too stupid to understand. People still believe in religion and would argue about it until their last breath.

One thing I am sure we can all agree on, many humans are really incredibly stupid.

Homo sapiens indeed...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Look, if we were all the same colour (Beige) people would still find a way to not like you. Be it where you live, your accent or even what coloured socks you got on.

See all the black protesters... I wish I could scream at them saying how the world is dark, bad and ugly place. It's dog eat dog.
    It ain't the colour of your fu*king skin. Most people would slit your throat for a fiver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement