Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The fundamental definition of racism, is the belief that one race is superior to the other.

For racism to exist between humans there would need to be at least 2 different races of humans.

There is only one race, the human race. Therefore it is impossible for racism to exist between humans.

The idea that race is determined by skin colour is laughable. That makes as much sense as saying everyone with different coloured eyes or different coloured hair is a different race.

Every time I see a comment or video when someone is discussing racism, they are typically speaking about discrimination. They are confused. You can be discriminated against for having different coloured skin, but it is discrimination, not racism.

Science has proven that we all come from the African continent and we spread from there.

Race is a scientifically disproven man-made construct by white supremacists in the past.

The first step to reducing discrimination would be for all of us to accept and understand we are all the same human race.

It is not easy for people to think like this, we have been force-fed the concept of different races our entire lives.

I think you are getting bogged down on the word race..

We all know there is the one human race.....human beings. People...

Racism is a word to describe several behaviors between people.....not all that desirable/nice/appealing to many......but very natural, and part of what makes us human, and competitive....even if it could be described as not a nice human trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

walshb wrote: »
    I think you are getting bogged down on the word race..

We all know there is the one human race.....human beings. People...

Racism is a word to describe several behaviors between people.....not all that desirable/nice/appealing to many......but very natural, and part of what makes us human, and competitive....even if it could be described as not a nice human trait.

Genuinely don't think majority nay vast majority of Irish ppl think they're better than any other race, (brits the exception of course - - - joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Genuinely don't think majority nay vast majority of Irish ppl think they're better than any other race, (brits the exception of course - - - joke)

I don't think it's just about the word "better."

Humans since they began have always been social and tribal and tight knitted...

Being dismissive and suspicious and wary and aloof and skeptical and hostile and combative and nasty towards those that don't fit into your type of "people-category" has been around since the dawn of man, and will be around for as long as man is around.......

Not all people are this way, but you would be hard-pressed to find any human who lived, that never showed any signs of "racism" ever.....going by the dictionary definition, racism covers a bit......

From the wicked and in your face proud forms, to the very subtle and moderate and non-malicious forms......and all the in-between.

Levels will always exist in terms of racism and how humans have and will display it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

osarusan wrote: »
    You can go down this road if you like, but you must be aware that even though you may disagree with it, the term racism is used very differently by the vast vast majority of people to how you use it/think it should be used.

And the discussions taking place here and everywhere else are in the context of the way the vast vast majority use the word.

I don't really see what you hope to achieve here.

It's like people who say 'decimate actually means one in ten' - yes it did at one time mean that, but obviously the word is used now to say something else, and it's fairly pointless to highlight the original meaning.

Let's deal with decimate first.
    It means, from Roman times,
    kill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group.

By leaving out the word kill, you have changed the whole concept of where the word came from
    The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth".

Accuracy is important here, rather than selective use of words to drive a particular agenda.

Once you are found out using fake definitions to drive an agenda, you lose all credibility, end of

So you are saying to the Donegal ?? monikered poster something akin to
    ‘They’re all out of step except my Johnny’

To use your own words: the vast vast majority use the word to suit their agenda, perhaps with a dash of ignorance.

Race, (along with pretty much all language beyond what was needed for survival), is a social construct, originally devised to show whites were superior.
    Language, at the wider level was devised to control societies through various mythologies and superstitions such as religion.

Have a read of this
    https://www.amazon.com/Sapiens-Humankind-Yuval-Noah-Harari/dp/0062316095

we all came out of the one or two caves and migrated... end of.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

You have added absolutely nothing to the conversation. The point is that racism does not exist between humans. All humans are of the same race. It's that simple, yet so difficult for so many to accept.

We could go back and forth all day long, it will not change the science no matter how many words you type.

What exactly have you added? That what basically the entire world refers to as racism would actually be better described as "discrimination"? Wow, such amazing insight. That totally flips the whole conversation now that we know we're using the wrong words :rolleyes:

I understand what you're saying perfectly, and you are correct. It's just not in any way relevant and changes the conversation not one jot. You're not addressing a room full of nazis comparing skull sizes here.

Intellectual masturbation of the highest order. Pure pointless pedantry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RWCNT wrote: »
    What exactly have you added? That what basically the entire world refers to as racism would actually be better described as "discrimination"? Wow, such amazing insight. That totally flips the whole conversation now that we know we're using the wrong words :rolleyes:

I understand what you're saying perfectly, and you are correct. It's just not in any way relevant and changes the conversation not one jot. You're not addressing a room full of nazis comparing skull sizes here.

Intellectual masturbation of the highest order. Pure pointless pedantry.

Do you not see the contradictions in your argument in the above.

edit, clearly you have a fan club of sycophantic lickers

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Says corks finest :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Do you not see the contradictions in your argument in the above.

No, but I am a bit tired today. Help me out. Edit: Actually, no, let's leave it here. There's been umpteen warnings in the thread by now to stick to discussion of the event itself and not race in general. Apologies mods, I won't run afoul of this again.
    edit, clearly you have a fan club of sycophantic lickers

HA. I wish. Look up my posting history if you wish. I'm not exactly Mr Popular Opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Racism is not possible between humans.

Have you even finished primary school yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Effects wrote: »

Enlighten us oh wise one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Race, (along with pretty much all language beyond what was needed for survival), is a social construct, originally devised to show whites were superior.
    Language, at the wider level was devised to control societies through various mythologies and superstitions such as religion.

Have a read of this

I am not disputing anything about what the word originally meant or where it came from.

But the fact remains that the meaning of the word has changed, and it is now used differently. If a handful of people think that's wrong, or agenda-laden, so be it, but the reality is that the word is used differently. Piping up with 'everybody is using the term wrongly' changes nothing.

Pointing out this very obvious reality doesn't mean I need a reminder on the evolution of homo Sapiens. I've no idea where you are going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Effects wrote: »

Dont feed the troll. That is a newish one been spouted by the left and left leaning universities

It could have some truth but there is also massive research that suggests that there are 4 races with multitudes of sub races

They been:
    white/Caucasian,
    Mongoloid/Asian,
    Negroid/Black,
    and Australoid

USA has minumum 6 races. Definition of race changes all the time!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Dont feed the troll. That is a newish one been spouted by the left and left leaning universities

It could have some truth but there is also massive research that suggests that there are 4 races with multitudes of sub races

They been:
    white/Caucasian,
    Mongoloid/Asian,
    Negroid/Black,
    and Australoid

USA has minumum 6 races. Definition of race changes all the time!

Science laughs in your face. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

chosen1 wrote: »
    Listening to the ones in Blanch and other places with their faux London-Jamican accents, it's pretty clear that there is little integration at all. They're not even replicating the culture of their parents and instead model themselves on the London drill scene.
    I have found this in Galway too. The young ones model themselves after the London scene, like "Top Boy".
    Not all etc etc but they will be trouble at some point, partly because they want to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Donegal Overlanding, if you don't want to discuss the topic of the thread then don't post here. Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this on thread

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Donegal Overlanding, if you don't want to discuss the topic of the thread then don't post here. Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this on thread

Im not looking for a relationship with you. Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

biko wrote: »
    I have found this in Galway too. The young ones model themselves after the London scene, like "Top Boy".
    Not all etc etc but they will be trouble at some point, partly because they want to.

If it wasn't drill music, it would be American rap music. Neither genre promotes healthy values, and these kids are highly influenced by said music. After typing that I'm reminded of my young self, who would of laughed at the thought of music as such having such a negative impact on those who listen to it, but it does seem to be the truth.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bit off topic but been following the rabbit hole re drill/rap on YouTube. Anyone know what this “road man” stuff is all about ? See it referenced on Irish rap videos a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

roadman= waster/drugdealer, essentially makes his/her money from the road(illegally). thats my understanding anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Better tell that to Tutankhamun because he a brown skinned Levantine North African wore sandals with images on the soles of Black skinned southern Nubians so he could walk upon his enemies. And I hate to break it to the newly minted "post modernist" right on brigade long before White people got into it. The parable of the Good Samaritan another example of inter ethnic relationships, where Jesus was making the point, a shocking one to a first century Jewish audience that a Samaritan, one of those lesser people was a better man than the Jews who walked by the fallen person. Tribalism has always been in play in human societies and different appearances and ethnicities of different populations was one way that them and us tribalism was established and reinforced.
    Control was but a part of it, keeping societies internally consistent, socially cohesive and safer for the majority another less noted aim.
    Have a read of this

That tome is chock full of thumbnail sketches and wild suppositions. It is not close to a definitive even good timeline or explanation of how modern humans came to be. A water cooler coffee table book at best and nothing wrong with that in of itself. For a start Europeans and Asians have a wide enough spread of non recently African DNA* that Africans don't have. Asians have a bunch of non recently African DNA that both Africans and Europeans don't have and Africans have their own non recently African DNA spread going on too. The wonderful genetic diversity of modern peoples is not nearly so simplistic as "we all came out of the one or two caves and migrated... end of".

*Europeans have depending on definitions between 2-4% Neandertal DNA, but its not the same DNA in everyone. Your 2% can be different to the 2% of someone from say Italy and both could be different to someone from Russia. So spread across a population it's a lot higher than 2-4%

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Im not looking for a relationship with you. Go away.

Mod

No - You go away for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TomTomTim wrote: »
    If it wasn't drill music, it would be American rap music. Neither genre promotes healthy values, and these kids are highly influenced by said music. After typing that I'm reminded of my young self, who would of laughed at the thought of music as such having such a negative impact on those who listen to it, but it does seem to be the truth.

I think rap music is pretty much endemic and followed by kids black and white and otherwise

Unfortunately a lot of it appears to glorify US gang type culture and regularly includes some particularly nasty language such a bitch, hoe with lots of use of the n word (which apparently is allowed)

According to at least one article George rapped and recorded hip-hop under the nickname ‘Young G’ - or Young George perhaps?. It rap parlance it also is used to denote a young gangster. And no Im not saying that to ascribe same. There is a US rapper who uses the same name so maybe he took it from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Thinly veiled accusations disguised as "just asking questions".

or it could just be them asking questions.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

biko wrote: »

I often think that many of these people originally lived in London for a short time or maybe a few years and then made their way here as the bonuses are better here. That would explain the Londonish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Except it's almost invariably followed the same pattern, similarly uninformed questions followed by an eventual misplaced "a-ha.. gotcha" moment.

That is a very naive view, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

circadian wrote: »
    ...unless there is outstanding evidence against the Garda, which I seriously doubt...

Why do you seriously doubt?
    It's as likely for the garda to have shot the offender in error as to have shot him within reason - mistakes can be made - even by Gardai.
    This still doesn't account for a racial slur though - unless you're racist that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

newmember? wrote: »
    Why do you seriously doubt?
    It's as likely for the garda to have shot the offender in error as to have shot him within reason - mistakes can be made - even by Gardai.
    This still doesn't account for a racial slur though - unless you're racist that is.

How is it as likely to have been an error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

My partner just showed me one one of ebun's tweets, as well as for her saying it was a butter knife, she's now saying he was a community worker and a dedicated volunteer, she has some pair of ba#ls on her, she's really pushing this justice for george narrative, if/when the report comes out that the guard did everything right there's gonna be a lot of trouble i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

My partner just showed me one one of ebun's tweets, as well as for her saying it was a butter knife, she's now saying he was a community worker and a dedicated volunteer, she has some pair of ba#ls on her, she's really pushing this justice for george narrative, if/when the report comes out that the guard did everything right there's gonna be a lot of trouble i think.

Trouble in what way. For her there will be no trouble.
    No one will be able to challenge her because straight away it will be seen as racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement