Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Delia2021 wrote: »
    Oh pray tell sounds like you have seen quite a few videos.................

I've seen videos of the demonstrations from the crowd who feel it was unjustified, I've seen videos of some of some questionable antics from protestors in Blanch, yeah, I have seen some videos alright! Which ones are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delia2021

RWCNT wrote: »
    I've seen videos of the demonstrations from the crowd who feel it was unjustified, I've seen videos of some of some questionable antics from protestors in Blanch, yeah, I have seen some videos alright! Which ones are you talking about?

The same but makes me wonder who released these videos? And who would deliberately say not to share them? Knowing this would create controversy etc it’s an awful shame politicians used this tragic incident for their own gain. But if we stick together All of Us and not create divisions they can’t use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

On the GoFundMe campaign - the description for how the money will be used is not that detailed but it’s up to people if they want to donate or not. If they decide to donate after reading the description provided, I don’t have much problem with that.

Just to point out that in Nigerian "superstition" culture, the amount the family spend on the funeral of a loved one, is meant bring about a reward for the family....or some sh1t like that.

I have no issue with the gofundme, it remains a tragedy what happened. A completely avoidable one and not at the expense of AGS legitimate actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I would imagine the solicitor is telling them how to behave to ensure saint George of the lovely family is the narrative

It doesn't really matter though. GSOC will reveal what happened on the day, and any other issues he had with Gardai previously. It's not a trial.

Attempted murder maybe twice?

That's not how it works. It's not a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Is there a record of who and where donations are from in gofundme?
    Id consider it disgusting to spend anything more than necessary on a funeral, ie anything gaudy.
    But if the purpose has now changed to include legal costs for what? whois backing that?
    I was interested to make a donation to the chap (the guy who was assaulted in his workplace) but too concerned that it's not legit.

As another poster mentioned, re his health issues (whatever they are supposed to be), I hope they'd do the right thing and make a charitable donation of a sizeable chunk to a charity rather than hold onto it.

I still don't understand how someone from the family (his brother) wouldnt go out and disarm him, If placed in a similar situation, I would have gone out and tried to talk down or peacefully persuade or disarm a family member if I could access them as the brother could have done so, (could they not even talk him down through the letterbox???? I dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Questionable antics,, I'll remember that one. Makes racism sound like a lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Have you seen the ones where actual racism is displayed by members of the black comminity?

Could have been motivated by frustration and anger, nevertheless, racism it was.

They are entitled to have their own legal team look into things if they feel the shooting wasn't justified.
    It might not be an expense they can afford without help. If you don't want to fund them, you're not being forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have you seen the ones where actual racism is displayed by members of the black comminity?

Could have been motivated by frustration and anger, nevertheless, racism it was.

I was on a gardening FB group where they were discussing racism on the group.
    Mentioned the Attacks on whites as racism and was banned. Everyone kept the Mantra only whites can be racist.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    That's not how it works. It's not a trial.

True that’s why I said maybe. So the person in the supermarket that allegedly got attacked will they ever get justice? It’s unusual I guess the perpetrator that allegedly beat you up dies soon after .

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

On the GoFundMe campaign - the description for how the money will be used is not that detailed but it’s up to people if they want to donate or not. If they decide to donate after reading the description provided, I don’t have much problem with that.

I wonder could the poor guy who was assaulted take a civil case against the estate of George and get some of this pie. It would be money well deserved.

1874 wrote: »
    I still don't understand how someone from the family (his brother) wouldnt go out and disarm him, If placed in a similar situation, I would have gone out and tried to talk down or peacefully persuade or disarm a family member if I could access them as the brother could have done so

For a start, the Gardai were worried for his family's safety. So they wouldn't let them near him.
    He supposedly had a barring order against him, by his family, so in a highly agitated state perhaps it wouldn't be safe to have them involved.

They are entitled to have their own legal team look into things if they feel the shooting wasn't justified.
    It might not be an expense they can afford without help. If you don't want to fund them, you're not being forced to.

Of course but hopefully they should trust in the justice system here. They came to Ireland for a better life presumably better than the one they had in Nigeria. Unless I am wrong George came here in his teens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I was on a gardening FB group where they were discussing racism on the group.
    Mentioned the Attacks on whites as racism and was banned. Everyone kept the Mantra only whites can be racist.

This has been pushed for years now by these type of people. It's both dangerous and deeply irrational. Racism is racism, regardless of whether the perpetrator is a minority member or a majority member.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

So the person in the supermarket that allegedly got attacked will they ever get justice?

His attacker was shot and killed. That's some kind of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I saw one of people banging on the door of the Spar and there was some shouts of "White bastards". I agree with your assessment. Don't mistake my whimsical turn of phrase for condoning that carryon.
    The same but makes me wonder who released these videos? And who would deliberately say not to share them? Knowing this would create controversy etc it’s an awful shame politicians used this tragic incident for their own gain. But if we stick together All of Us and not create divisions they can’t use it!

All sorts of people. The demonstrators seem to have streamed themselves and this has been shared by different people offering their comment. I assume the footage of the incidents in Blanch were snapped by locals. I've seen them shared shared mainly by Conservative types like gript.ie. As far as I know a Sinn Fein TD had asked people not to share videos that were "divisive" but he also condemned the actions of the people causing trouble in Blanch - a bit of an odd stance to take if the divisive videos he refers to are of the same people he acknowledges. I honestly don't think a lot of these politicians will find their responses to the incident to be the net gai they think it will. I'm very left wing myself but I don't agree with the approach of a lot of left wing politicians in recent times.

It’s alleged - will that victim and/or their family ever get an apology?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

That's one way of looking at it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wonder could the poor guy who was assaulted take a civil case against the estate of George and get some of this pie. It would be money well deserved.

How is his GoFundMe going, I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's not a realistic argument though. It was the anti George side that brought up the machete. The same way they made up a long list of convictions, and fake photos of the man who had been attacked earlier. One poster on here claimed the weapon he had was actually closer to a sword than a kitchen knife. People were trying to claim he was mad man running around with a machete, to make it out to be worse than it was. A kitchen knife is deadly enough in reality.

I think you are mistaken.
    The point I was making was that the pro-george side would be quick to make a big stink about the inaccuracies of the knife used. That being a machete. Whilst totally ignoring the fact why was he carrying a bloody knife in the first place.

I saw one of people banging on the door of the Spar and there was some shouts of "White bastards". I agree with your assessment. Don't mistake my whimsical turn of phrase for condoning that carryon.

All sorts of people. The demonstrators seem to have streamed themselves and this has been shared by different people offering their comment. I assume the footage of the incidents in Blanch were snapped by locals. I've seen them shared shared mainly by Conservative types like gript.ie. As far as I know a Sinn Fein TD had asked people not to share videos that were "divisive" but he also condemned the actions of the people causing trouble in Blanch - a bit of an odd stance to take if the divisive videos he refers to are of the same people he acknowledges. I honestly don't think a lot of these politicians will find their responses to the incident to be the net gai they think it will. I'm very left wing myself but I don't agree with the approach of a lot of left wing politicians in recent times.

It’s really bizarre I feel strongly we are being pushed into some sort of race bait debate here much to the tragedy of George Nchenkos family and that supermarket guy that allegedly got beat up and all the Gardaí involved. Politicians pushing for their own political advantage when really we should all stand together and realise that we all love this country and we won’t allow the likes of Ruth Coppinger Paul Murphy hazel chu and some Sinn Fein politicians to divide us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, as I said in my first post in this thread, I want an inquiry to happen to ascertain what happened. I have no interest in jerking my knee. If the inquiry shows that the shooting was excessive, so be it. The truth being uncovered is always good, in my view. It’s early days though. Let’s wait and see.

The point I was making was that the pro-george side would be quick to make a big stink about the inaccuracies of the knife used. That being a machete. Whilst totally ignoring the fact why was he carrying a bloody knife in the first place.

Can you back that up with examples please?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

"A member of the Policing Authority, which oversees the performance of the Gardai, shared material saying that Garda had "murdered" and "gunned down" George Nkencho."

Shared something someone else said on twitter? What's the context?
    Maybe they were just using it in reference in a discussion or commentating on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

For a start, the Gardai were worried for his family's safety. So they wouldn't let them near him.
    He supposedly had a barring order against him, by his family, so in a highly agitated state perhaps it wouldn't be safe to have them involved.

Im sure the Gardai were as part of their training/response, but how could they stop the family opening a window or speaking out the letterbox, IF they were not afraid of him and IF they were so concerned for his wellbeing, otherwise it looks like they were very concerned for their welbeing by not doing so, even before the ASU turned up??
    I find it suspicious, even accidentally they could have answered the door to him?? something isn't right

Even if you agree with this, wtf? how can they come out and be so blatant about it, it's like the answer is decided, being in UCD is she influenced?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Vicky Conway needs to stand down from the policing authority or at the very least absent herself from the George investigation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It really highlights to me the innate gutter that is Twitter.

The headline states "material" shared to indicate the words " gunned down " and "murdered ".

I look down to the " Tweet" that was twitted and shared.

It appears that this " material" is actually a few tweets ... from Twits.

Twitter is the home of guttersnipe media exchange, it really really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Vicky Conway needs to stand down from the policing authority or at the very least absent herself from the George investigation

According to the article she has stood down
    "Dr Conway is no longer a member of the Policing Authority, having finished her term shortly after sharing the tweets."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement