Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Effects wrote: »
    Can you back that up with examples please?

sea lion

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delia2021

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It really highlights to me the innate gutter that is Twitter.

The headline states "material" shared to indicate the words " gunned down " and "murdered ".

I look down to the " Tweet" that was twitted and shared.

It appears that this " material" is actually a few tweets ... from Twits.

Twitter is the home of guttersnipe media exchange, it really really is.

It’s what the Left want sensational headlines and we can fall for this nonsense or not. And realize that we shouldn’t create a political vacuum we are better than this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Effects wrote: »
    Can you back that up with examples please?

What examples do you need?!?! :pac:
    Go on twitter. Go on Facebook. People (pro-george) making a stink about how people are getting facts wrong. It wasn't a machete. Etc.

Yes it wasn't a machete. If we are to be fair then let's call a spade a spade. But why was he carrying a knife? ... They gloss over that.

Don't you get what I am saying? :p
    I am talking about people glossing over obvious things that should be stated (ie, why was he carrying such a weapon in the first place) and laser pointing in on the inaccuracies of the knife used.

That's like you making 6 points. 5 of which are totally correct. Rock solid. But the 6th? Not so much. So I could harp on about the 6th. Forget the rest. They don't suit my opinion / agenda / stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

According to the article she has stood down
    "Dr Conway is no longer a member of the Policing Authority, having finished her term shortly after sharing the tweets."

Which in plain English means she has been asked to resign her position or be sacked from the Policing Authority.

Dr Conway a tad too quick to draw a verdict/ conclusions.

Not a friend or supporter of our Police force, An Garda Siochana , your would swear she was at the scene and has all the officers found guilty before even knowing all the facts, some law professor she is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

1874 wrote: »
    Im sure the Gardai were as part of their training/response, but how could they stop the family opening a window or speaking out the letterbox, IF they were not afraid of him and IF they were so concerned for his wellbeing, otherwise it looks like they were very concerned for their welbeing by not doing so, even before the ASU turned up??
    I find it suspicious, even accidentally they could have answered the door to him?? something isn't right

The idea that his family should of done something is ridiculous.
    As I said before: the events were sudden and quickly evolving. He turned up in the garden with the police following asking him to stop. Moments later he was shot dead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

grounds of immediate sacking one would think ,

if a senior member of the GRA posted something like that im sure they would be getting a curly finger from drew harris

edit

im not sure that gript crowd should be taken as a source in this matter ,they appear to be right wing nut balls. I know the guy who wrote the relevant article and he has quite a history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

As I said before: the events were sudden and quickly evolving. He turned up in the garden with the police following asking him to stop. Moments later he was shot dead.

Well they/someone seemingly had time to film from their house (the brother),
    I think if my brother was knocking at the door Id be answering before wondering if the Gardai were also there and that I shouldnt be answering the door,

I never gathered that the ASU turned up s rapidly that some kind of stand off had not already developed with unarmed Gardai but I dont know,

What Im saying is, Im suspicious of the family, it seems to me that it would be natural/normal for a family member to open the door if someone knocked, or intervene if they became aware something was going on (right or wrong, regardless of what the Gardai thought or instructed them to do), so if they didnt, why not?
    the other situation is they knew he left with a knife of some description and maybe even intent and had no intention of letting him back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

According to the article she has stood down
    "Dr Conway is no longer a member of the Policing Authority, having finished her term shortly after sharing the tweets."

How did this nutcase get the Policing Authority position in the first place?
    According to an article from The Times:
    Garda reform ‘should be guided by sex workers, migrants and families of those who died in custody’
    And that article was from last year.
    No wonder she was going to have a preordained opinion of the shooting last week, before the completion of the official investigation. Jesus, the lunatics are really running the asylum in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

As a recent DCU law graduate, it seems I had a lucky escape by not having her as a lecturer. Saying that, some of the ones I had were just as bad as her. For balance though, I had some really good lecturers, who didn't care about you writing about controversial topics once you used sound reason.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,678 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I knew the name Vicky Conway was familiar -She hosts a hopelessly one sided biased podcast too. Listened to half of one episode and deleted it. Pathetic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It is far from ridiculous to suggest that his family unit should have acted in his interests, despite a protection order against him.

From what I gather (from unconfirmed open sourse reports) his brother recorded at least partial events from a window inside the property. His sister also claims she opened the door to him before him being shot.

From the above, it is doubtful that it was that quick. I cant say for certain but even 3 minutes outside the house is ample time for the family to step in.

While there are calls by some to say AGS "should have done something different", equally the family "should have done something diffferent".

In this context, was it the families' decision not to de-escalate the situation due to the protection order against the perpetrator?

Was AGS decision to fire rounds at the perpetrator due to his actions in Eurospar and immediate actions against AGS?

Is it reasonable to assess that a violent man armed with a bladed weapon, and a protection order from his family, after an assault and attempted assault on AGS, these factors combined gave good reason for AGS to discharge their firearm?

It will be heavily disputed what the perpetrators' intent was by going to his mothers house. We will never really know. Was he going to where he felt safe? Was he on a rampage of violence thay day with the final intent to harm his family? We will never know, but due to the protection order...is also has a place for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Vicky Conway needs to stand down from the policing authority or at the very least absent herself from the George investigation

Did you even read the article?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

For anyone who didnt read the Gript article in full Vicky Conway is a former member of the Policing Authority.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It doesn't say whose tweets were retweeted.

Though it appears she was ex-officio shortly after she did so ...
    Conway was not an official spokesperson for the Authority and that any views Dr Conway “may express” were her own and that they would not be commenting on matters related to the death of Mr Nkencho.

And
    Dr Conway is no longer a member of the Policing Authority, having finished her term shortly after sharing the tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,008 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

1874 wrote: »
    Well they/someone seemingly had time to film from their house (the brother),
    I think if my brother was knocking at the door Id be answering before wondering if the Gardai were also there and that I shouldnt be answering the door,

I never gathered that the ASU turned up s rapidly that some kind of stand off had not already developed with unarmed Gardai but I dont know,

What Im saying is, Im suspicious of the family, it seems to me that it would be natural/normal for a family member to open the door if someone knocked, or intervene if they became aware something was going on (right or wrong, regardless of what the Gardai thought or instructed them to do), so if they didnt, why not?
    the other situation is they knew he left with a knife of some description and maybe even intent and had no intention of letting him back in.

100%.
    If my son or brother arrives at my front door with the Garda in tow I’d be out straight away to see what was happening.
    The fact that they didn’t and the news that they had protection orders out against him really shows how dangerous THEY believed he was.
    All in the Nkencho family was not right or rosy. Now they seem to be trying to use the whole sorry episode for their own benefit which imo is really disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Indo using a photo of George N as a child is utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

For anyone who didnt read the Gript article in full Vicky Conway is a former member of the Policing Authority.

For anyone who didnt read the Gript article in full, Vicky Conway was a member of the Policing Authority while she shared those Tweets.

As per the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They had enough time to film it though. And didn't his sister open the door to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Joey, on your next lightning visit to the thread, you might corroborate the very casual assertion you made here yesterday -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115818081&postcount=6327

- to avoid looking like someone who is no better than those manufacturers of fake news that your post was railing against.

that's a very misleading statement joey ????

she was still a member of the policing authority when she sent the tweets and only ceased to be afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,008 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

For anyone who didnt read the Gript article in full, Vicky Conway was a member of the Policing Authority while she shared those Tweets.

As per the article.

Must have been asked to resign as a result of the tweet.
    How some of these supposedly educated people do such strange/gobshyte stuff is really mystifying. They’re up their own holes.

Gript's stock is rising.

Gript's stock is rising.

it shouldn't be

a lot of what they do is worse that the far left and flat out racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Must have been asked to resign as a result of the tweet.
    How some of these supposedly educated people do such strange/gobshyte stuff is really mystifying. They’re up their own holes.
    Maybe the alt/far right hacked her account. That is one of the excuses I've heard on here for their faux pas.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    it shouldn't be

I think they're just as bad as each other. I'd rather both to remain on the fringes, where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

it shouldn't be

"The Dublin-born son of a Jamaican immigrant, Ben Scallan is an Irish patriot and presenter for Gript media. " Bahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

it shouldn't be

Such as?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A few days before the shooting she also tweeted about the anti-knife campaign started by the family of kid who was stabbed a year ago. I'm sure she doesn't see the irony of this at all.

https://twitter.com/drvconway/status/1343693132819525634

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

So just wanted to post this as US cops have body cams and you can see how scary it is to have someone come at you with a knife, the suspect clearly has problems but she is shot a number of times and still a threat.
    Mods can remove if they don't think it's suitable, I just think it should show what police have to face and the split second decisions they need to make when faced with suspects with knifes.

Holy hell!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,305 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A few days before the shooting she also tweeted about the anti-knife campaign started by the family of kid who was stabbed a year ago. I'm sure she doesn't see the irony of this at all.

https://twitter.com/drvconway/status/1343693132819525634

You could not make it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement