Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

gozunda wrote: »
    Wonder will we get a factcheck from the media on the equally daft claims that he only had a butter knife in his possession.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    What is the aim of the protests?

exactly

why are they even protesting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Any funeral arrangements made yet ?

I suppose we can thank the events across the pond for killing this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

regardless, it had no reason to continue

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    o I don't know , identifying and immediately arresting and jailing those involved in the violent disorder and threats against gardai would send a fairly strong and clear message to those that though it a acceptable way to act

it took about 2 years for the garda who shot mark Hennessey to be cleared of any wrong doing . nice to have that hanging over you for two years , and we know more than ever how a hate campaign can effect some ones mental health

Well you aren't going to immediately jail them. Even if you arrested and charged straight away, court takes months. Thrests to kill involves a dopp file as well so they probable wouldn't even be a charge for months. you need to consider if it's worth the additional public unrest to send a message. There's times I would agree with you but in this occasion I think playing the waiting game is the better option. That's just my opinion of course but then I'm not involved personally or professionally in the area, the case or the people.

Of course it sucks for the officer involved, it's nasty and it does have an effect but I can't see an alternative unless there ends up being an oversight body that makes sure cases and investigations proceed at a decent rate. St the moment that Garda is the suspect, people rarely worry about the suspect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Story dead in the water as soon as the big brave brother was found out for hiding behind the curtains while it all went down in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gothic Insanity

Ireland doesn't look so bad now, lots of racist comments aimed at White people last night.... And it's like.... It's not all of us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    What is the aim of the protests?
    Apparently to get money, businesses, and land from the Irish people as reparations for the slavery that we were involved in down through the years. Wonder where we got the time for the slavery business since we were subjugated ourselves for over 800 years.
    Anyway, I thought we were already providing many of them in Ireland with plenty enough of 'reparations', the likes that they would never receive elsewhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

statesaver wrote: »
    Any funeral arrangements made yet ?

Beat me to it but I reckon it will be a full state funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kivaro wrote: »
    Apparently to get money, businesses, and land from the Irish people as reparations for the slavery that we were involved in down through the years. Wonder where we got the time for the slavery business since we were subjugated ourselves for over 800 years.
    Anyway, I thought we were already providing many of them in Ireland with plenty enough of 'reparations', the likes that they would never receive elsewhere in the world.

It’s so poor that they can’t afford to leave and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA !! :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Well you aren't going to immediately jail them. Even if you arrested and charged straight away, court takes months. Thrests to kill involves a dopp file as well so they probable wouldn't even be a charge for months. you need to consider if it's worth the additional public unrest to send a message. There's times I would agree with you but in this occasion I think playing the waiting game is the better option. That's just my opinion of course but then I'm not involved personally or professionally in the area, the case or the people.

Of course it sucks for the officer involved, it's nasty and it does have an effect but I can't see an alternative unless there ends up being an oversight body that makes sure cases and investigations proceed at a decent rate. St the moment that Garda is the suspect, people rarely worry about the suspect though.

If he was arrested and charged it would be up to him to apply for bail , there is clear and indisputable evidence of a threat to kill ,the state would be in a strong position to object the bail. Its very common in domestic cases where threats are made. It would be very easy for the DPP to expedite directions in a case of huge public interest.
    The point of it is to make it clear that there are consequences to the actions like this , something that is lost on these groups as they have already gotten away with so much ,

what if something was to happen to the gardai in question ?

hesitant to say but there has already been one tragic in the force this week

If he was arrested and charged it would be up to him to apply for bail , there is clear and indisputable evidence of a threat to kill ,the state would be in a strong position to object the bail. Its very common in domestic cases where threats are made. It would be very easy for the DPP to expedite directions in a case of huge public interest.
    The point of it is to make it clear that there are consequences to the actions like this , something that is lost on these groups as they have already gotten away with so much ,

what if something was to happen to the gardai in question ?

hesitant to say but there has already been one tragic in the force this week

Whats the grounds for objecting to bail? A section 2 or o'callaghan rules? Neither likely to be met here.

When have the dpp issued directions verbally based on public interest? u could argue that certain directions in the past have been influenced by public opinion. Far be it for me to suggest such a thing. Overall, I'm not in favor of this one bit too be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

They want their own state? .....give em Cork I say :rolleyes:

Whats the grounds for objecting to bail? A section 2 or o'callaghan rules? Neither likely to be met here.

When have the dpp issued directions verbally based on public interest? u could argue that certain directions in the past have been influenced by public opinion. Far be it for me to suggest such a thing. Overall, I'm not in favor of this one bit too be honest.

the dpp frequently give verbal direction in serious cases especially when some one is in custody .

grounds for objection
    clear video evidence of the offence (strong evidence against offender)
    seriousness of offence (threat to life)
    likeness to flee roots in community (family seem to have address in UK and Nigeria at the very least)
    Any previous history he may have might be relevant also

again as I have already said I believe that it would be in the public interest to make it clear that threats to kill members of AGS results in clear and swift justice untainted by media or political interference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

the dpp frequently give verbal direction in serious cases especially when some one is in custody .

grounds for objection
    clear video evidence of the offence (strong evidence against offender)
    seriousness of offence (threat to life)
    likeness to flee roots in community (family seem to have address in UK and Nigeria at the very least)
    Any previous history he may have might be relevant also

again as I have already said I believe that it would be in the public interest to make it clear that threats to kill members of AGS results in clear and swift justice untainted by media or political interference

You keep going on about this 'clear' threat to the Garda's life and so I can only conclude you've only seen the edited video and not the original - there was no clear death threat in the original - the most he said is he wanted the Garda terminated and then corrected that to "contract terminated", and other than that all he said is "and when we find him...yeah?!!"

Nothing clear or concrete there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

newmember? wrote: »
    You keep going on about this 'clear' threat to the Garda's life and so I can only conclude you've only seen the edited video and not the original - there was no clear death threat in the original - the most he said is he wanted the Garda terminated and then corrected that to "contract terminated", and other than that all he said is "and when we find him...yeah?!!"

Really ?

“When we find him ...?” they’re not going to throw him a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

For the love of god, what do you think he and the mob would do if they found him? I mean, at best they obviously mean a hiding, at worst..

trying to claim otherwise is either hugely naive or extremely disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What is your reading of what they will do when they find him?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

again with this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

already well covered in spite the false statements of a vanishing poster here

its very clear to any fair minded person what he said and what his intent was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They only want to go find him to give him hugs and his family....

No way would they be up to anything sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

afro man wrote: »
    Beat me to it but I reckon it will be a full state funeral

You mean lots of Gardai on duty to prevent riots?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

This sounds very made-up.

again with this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

already well covered in spite the false statements of a vanishing poster here

its very clear to any fair minded person what he said and what his intent was.

To any 'fair-minded' person there is no clear death threat there, that's the point I'm making. To start going on about hugs and kisses is just ridiculous, he was stirring it, there's no doubt about that, but this could easily be defended by claiming he was disturbed/emotional/in shock/not himself/just had his brother killed when he said what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

To any 'fair-minded' person there is no clear death threat there, that's the point I'm making. To start going on about hugs and kisses is just ridiculous, he was stirring it, there's no doubt about that, but this could easily be defended by claiming he was disturbed/emotional/in shock/not himself/just had his brother killed when he said what he said.

The problem with that is that it can easily be seen for what it is; an ill advised, I'll timed rant that was ambiguous enough to allow for interpretation in any number of ways.
    The man shouldn't have been allowed near a microphone to begin with.

Just to clarify, I'm not agreeing with you.

Glazers Out!

so was there a threat or not ?

if not what does his disturbed emotional not himself state matter ?

if so he made a serious threat is the middle of a riot against a specific person and should face justice for that

regardless of the evidence you aren't going to see it so what's the point

I didn't say anything about hugs and kisses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You mean lots of Gardai on duty to prevent riots?

I wouldn't bet on that, where were they when that mob was causing trouble last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You are really tying yourself up in knots to make him a stand up guy.

He made a threat anyone can see it.

• Advertisement

so was there a threat or not ?

if not what does his disturbed emotional not himself state matter ?

if so he made a serious threat is the middle of a riot against a specific person and should face justice for that

regardless of the evidence you aren't going to see it so what's the point

I didn't say anything about hugs and kisses

I wasn't claiming you mentioned hugs and kisses - I was mentioning it in reply to another poster where it seems if you post something that's in some way disagreeable then the point of view in question is immediately ridiculed.

You keep talking about evidence and my claim is that there is evidence but not necessarily of a threat of death. Either of us can be wrong here so I'm sure if 'the evidence' is there like you say then the matter will be dealt with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement