Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ah here’s Vicky Conway....

Was she the one liking dodgy tweets yesterday?!?

'Dr.' Vicky Conway said the following when she joined the Policing Authority in 2019, over a year before this shooting:
    Garda reform ‘should be guided by sex workers, migrants and families of those who died in custody’.
    Yesterday she was fired/asked to resign from the Policing Authority due to her tweets on how this knife wielding man was "gunned down" by the Gardai. And this is how RTE balances the narrative on their Prime Time exposé, by brining on somebody with these ingrained views?
    At the very least, more people are now seeing how dangerous our National Broadcaster is becoming to our nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

ParkRunner wrote: »
    The sister didn’t seem overly upset at all. She said “her family are shocked, devastated, disappointed, sad and anxious” but one week after the event she didn’t come across as a person grieving for her brother.

Agreed.

She mentioned her brother had his protector with him in the interview segment on Primetime, I take it she means his knife??

No mention of the victim Wayne or any interview with him to see how is recovering, manager chap in the Eurospar who had his nose , jaw and teeth broken with serious facial injuries. Im sure he will need counselling and time to recover from this trauma.

No mention that the family in fact had a protection order against George Nkencho as covered in last Sundays Times newspaper.

Here is the link to the Primetime interview with the deceased suspects sister.

33:42 mins in approx.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/prime-time/SI0000000825?epguid=IH000400697

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

screamer wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter what sort of psychosis he may or may not have been experiencing, it does not trump the immediate threat to life he presented. Overall his mental state is not a factor, and it never can be in these split second life or death situations.

Gardaí are not there to be shot or knifed during some guys psychosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Good old RTE,. Not sticking up for the guards but trying to fan more issues to make sure they get ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm not saying it was one for sure never mind how long it lasted, it would be pretty idiotic for someone who's not involved and a non-expert to make a definite statement like that. It's just not an impossibility like that poster was stating.

Though a brief psychiatric episode is less than a month by definition, they're not quick events.

And its pretty idiotic for so many politicians and NGO advocates to claim it was mental health with no knowledge either. At the moment we have nothing , assuming its mental health related is a leap well beyond just saying this was a violent thug lashing out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

newmember? wrote: »
    Certainly does not look good although at least the bullet holes are low if that counts for anything.

All it takes is one stray to land for everything to get a lot worse, could Garda have checked did he live in residence? Probably not enough time in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Good old RTE,. Not sticking up for the guards but trying to fan more issues to make sure they get ratings

Sure they have to be partially impartial, we can just see what narrative they are peddling much more easily these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

What did you want - slit wrists?

She was calm, articulate and composed in her favour. It just struck me that a week after the event she’s on national tv without any physical signs of the feelings that she listed e.g a tear, hesitancy, anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

She was calm, articulate and composed in her favour. It just struck me that a week after the event she’s on national tv without any physical signs of the feelings that she listed e.g a tear, hesitancy, anything?

Could be heavily medicated for all you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

She probably wouldn't need to be a psychiatrist to know something was up with her own brother - and if the Garda already had run-ins with this guy before but charges were never brought then I'd imagine there might be some justification for the view that he might have had mental issues, no? You don't wanna hear that though as it "doesn't fit in with your narrative" ...ffs .

Give it a rest, some irony in that post about narratives. Tell us, what's her narrative? Spit it out.

Why haven't they specified EXACTLY what mental conditions he was suffering from? I mean, it wouldn't be because then we might be able to asses whether nor not this mental condition really could be an excuse for his behaviour, nah, lets just keep up the vague nonsense.

• Advertisement

Where are the accents from ?

She probably wouldn't need to be a psychiatrist to know something was up with her own brother - and if the Garda already had run-ins with this guy before but charges were never brought then I'd imagine there might be some justification for the view that he might have had mental issues, no? You don't wanna hear that though as it "doesn't fit in with your narrative" ...ffs .

He went for a Garda with a knife. An armed Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ask yourself who watches RTE now. I don’t. Because they are not telling the truth about many things anymore. Same goes for all media to be fair. Sick of the one sided reportage from all of them.

Our Gardai need to be supported above the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And its pretty idiotic for so many politicians and NGO advocates to claim it was mental health with no knowledge either. At the moment we have nothing , assuming its mental health related is a leap well beyond just saying this was a violent thug lashing out
    Sure. At the moment anyone saying anything with any certainty that hasn't come from an official source is exemplifying that idiocy, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And she failed to mention the barring order they had against him.

Actually is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

statesaver wrote: »
    Where are the accents from ?

Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

screamer wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter what sort of psychosis he may or may not have been experiencing, it does not trump the immediate threat to life he presented. Overall his mental state is not a factor, and it never can be in these split second life or death situations.
    FFS does everyone stating a non-outraged middling opinion have to include small print in every post on how they're not endorsing or excusing the behaviour, or doubting Gardaí?

*See my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

This is a good article. It looks like the last shot is what will be a big focus of the investigation.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40201541.html?type=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

kravmaga wrote: »
    Agreed.

She mentioned her brother had his protector with him in the interview segment on Primetime, I take it she means his knife??

She said he was caring, he was a protector

To me the sister came across as very rational on Prime Time and gave a very credible account. To be honest, the psychiatric services are so very poor, and key do many down these times, that I'm not surprised that cases fall through the net without proper diagnoses and management. As one psychiatrist on the radio put it last year, the governments have left what they consider "mental health" to the realm of media personalities as it is overall far cheaper than actually paying qualified people. I saw another doctor post about how psychiatry is being handed over to charities as a cost-effective method. One wouldn't rely on a charity to manage cardiac angina, so why serious mental health.

• Advertisement

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    This is a good article. It looks like the last shot is what will be a big focus of the investigation.

Every single shot is looked at and must be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Yamanoto wrote: »
    She said he was caring, he was a protector

That does make more sense in the context of the sentence. It sounded very like she said he was carrying his protector but what you heard makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Okay few points from what I got from the prime time slot.

They did included the following.

-The spar attack and the call for gardai from the shop was mentioned
    -They followed George along the road and he had a knife
    -They did not know who he was
    -They asked him multiple time to drop the knife (all unarmed gardai to this point)
    -They did not know he lived at the house
    -Standard procedure was they are not allowed leave armed person outside to enter inside due to risk of escalation. They also dismissed the shotting at are s etc.
    -They fired 5 shots, not all him target.

They did not mention George swung the knife at a gardai, which was a bit surprising

My thoughts only below (some hypothetical contents to he clear)

They leave out the fact George lunged at them, but I wonder based on last few points above, was the first shot first when he tried to enter house?

Are they preparing for this to be part of investigation? And therfore highlighted the fact that this is not allowed per procedure, and the fact they didn't know he lived there?

Also I wonder if this is the case where did they aim first shot (I know its not Hollywood). But did they try a leg shot and this is why George was still able to swing around at the gardai?

Sisiter interview covered

- yes all the standard nice stuff about brother love, and I'm sure the protector bit was george was the younger siblings protector (nothing to do with knives)
    - I did find it interesting that she mentioned the mental health issue start a few months ago only, and how it can "change" a person??
    - she opened the door was was pushed back in and shots were not fired directly at this time but a few mins later
    - did not mention protection order
    -mentioned hate/racist mail
    -did not mention protests, sister or younger brothers actions at same

Also looked up the gsoc criminal proceedings and this just means they have deemed they do need to investigate and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Thought the sister was very well spoken and dealt incredibly well with the circumstances. She seemed utterly confused about how her brother went from someone she loved to someone she didn't recognise. Why was there bullet shots sprayed everywhere if the idea is to shoot the largest mass of the perpetrator so as not to onflxit damage. Looks like the family were lucky not be hurt by stray bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

SnuggyBear wrote: »

Well written piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Thought the sister was very well spoken and dealt incredibly well with the circumstances. She seemed utterly confused about how her brother went from someone she loved to someone she didn't recognise. Why was there bullet shots sprayed everywhere if the idea is to shoot the largest mass of the perpetrator so as not to onflxit damage. Looks like the family were lucky not be hurt by stray bullets.

Let's drop the wild exaggeration here. A lot of mistruths have been peddled on both 'sides' over the past week and it has only inflamed and damaged the situation.

Two shots seem to have missed the target, or ricocheted off him. This is a long way from 'spraying bullets everywhere'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Absolutely. Should have phrased it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

statesaver wrote: »
    He went for a Garda with a knife. An armed Garda.

No sh1t...Sherlock

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

If I’m doing boards right, then this Black guy committing violent crimes and then swinging a knife at guards didn’t deserve to be shot but the other nutcase (not as much?) white woman who tried to climb through a window during a riot (yes riot) does deserve to be shot......is that how it works here?

World has turned knots on itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

bubblypop wrote: »
    Every single shot is looked at and must be justified.

How do they determine what order the bullets were fired in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement