Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

screamer wrote: »
    See photos of him as a child now circulating on media with more on the story accompanying them. I’m sorry now but he was no child when he went on that rampage, more pedalling and meddling from a certain cohort to squeeze the sympathy out.

Just more "Bart's People" like selective journalism from the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

newmember? wrote: »
    Speaking of lies...^^

People complaining that the store manager or the mob of protestors wasn't mentioned?? WTF has that got to do with the examination of the shooting? The assault at the Eurospar was mentioned, the family were interviewed as their sibling was shot, what else did you want - an interview with the garda who pulled the trigger? They went into how the Garda are trained and more or less inferred that correct procedure was followed. The issue they were trying to highlight was the inadequate resourcing of the Gardai - whether it would have saved this guy's life nobody knows.

what resource do you think the gardai should have to deal with a large man in a psychotic rage swinging a knife at them ?

more than negotiating begging pleas to drop the knife , pepper spray tazer and eventually a fire arm ?

Was George even engaging with mental health services ? I haven't heard that he did ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

i imagine the family of the beautiful wee girl murdered in the UK would have been happier had the police there took out the threat before their daughter was murdered.

Same as had George been allowed to go into the house and stabbed the sister the protests would have been “why did useless Gardaí not stop him? Don’t they care about black people being killed in their own homes ???”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This world is mad. People are thick.

I could go to Dunnes stores tomorrow, pull down my pants in the middle of the isle and take a sh*t. Some will call me disgusting, others will praise me as having to go and "Fu*k what people think" and finally others will believe I have some medical condition.

While truth be told I would just be a dirt bird. World is mad.

Or you could do it in a Lidl.

In which case you'd be just mimicking regular customers and wouldn't even be noticed.

There's a time and a place for everything so there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Maybe I'm mistaken but what does the whole 'mental health crisis' thing have to do with the actions of the Gardai?

It could be the reason why George Nkencho was violent and wouldn't comply with the instructions of the Gardai but it doesn't change the fact that he posed a threat to the Gardai and members of the public and had to be dealt with.

• Advertisement

Basically its a lie that Vicky Conway was sacked/asked to resign from the Policing Authority as you claimed.

how does that make any difference to the awful and abusive and offensive tweet she made ?

she is a disgrace and should suffer professionally for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

newmember? wrote: »
    I see in the Examiner piece it explicitly says the family's legal team are not pursuing any sort of racial angle to the killing. Looks like the whole event was hi-jacked by vested interests.

I didn't see Primetime myself, but have read the comments with interest.
    According to the Examiner article (their own emphsais is in bold online)
    "Highly-charged accusations have been made by certain people of Garda racial profiling, racial bias, and even racist policing, though little or no supporting evidence has, to date, been offered directly related to the shooting itself."

Did Primetime mention the online and print accusations of racism by public figures and if not, why not?
    If they did mention this, why would they have on as one of the 'experts' Vicky Conway who has publically supported this narrative? Did they question her as to her evidence or proof?
    If they didn't mention the awful hijacking of this death by politicians and public figures, then why have on someone who was part of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I didn't see Primetime myself, but have read the comments with interest.
    According to the Examiner article (their own emphsais is in bold online)
    "Highly-charged accusations have been made by certain people of Garda racial profiling, racial bias, and even racist policing, though little or no supporting evidence has, to date, been offered directly related to the shooting itself."

Did Primetime mention the online and print accusations of racism by public figures and if not, why not?
    If they did mention this, why would they have on as one of the 'experts' Vicky Conway who has publically supported this narrative? Did they question her as to her evidence or proof?
    If they didn't mention the awful hijacking of this death by politicians and public figures, then why have on someone who was part of that?

You'd need a Jeremy Paxman type interviewer to do that. The national broadcaster has no-one of the ilk

Maybe time for body cams on all gardai. Ones they can't interfere with then we'd have an idea of what occurs.
    I wont defend the guy with the knife/,whatever, but to say that the report the gardai give on the incident is accurate or even vaguely truthful is a stretch too far.

I'd add maybe time for cameras on phones and gadgets to be made so people can't interfere with the audio or video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

mynamejeff wrote: »
    how does that make any difference to the awful and abusive and offensive tweet she made ?

she is a disgrace and should suffer professionally for it

With her preconceived views on policing, she should not have been on the Policing Authority in the first place. Good riddance now that she is gone.

• Advertisement

Maybe time for body cams on all gardai. Ones they can't interfere with then we'd have an idea of what occurs.
    I wont defend the guy with the knife/,whatever, but to say that the report the gardai give on the incident is accurate or even vaguely truthful is a stretch too far.

its all there on video if you care to watch ,

what are you saying the gardy are being vague about ?

bearing in mind it is still the early stages of multiple investigations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

Black, White, Brown, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, White. Whatever the color. I can't understand how so many Gardai could not immobilize an individual with a knife. Even using the fire arm. There's ways to do so without killing the individual... I'd understand he got shot in the leg and bled from that, that would have been involuntarily killing the person, but that's not what hapenned...

The case would be very different if he, (whatever his color was) was brandishing a fire arm. This means he could easily shot any of the Gardai at a distance and end someone's life which in my opinion would mean it was legitimate to shoot at him in self-defense.

White, Black, Purple, Deep Blue, Cyan, whatever... you really do not want Gardai or any law enforcement to use this kind of force often, unless of course you want Ireland to become a carbon copy of the US or Brazil and it's police forces that have incredible authority and even military grade equipment. If that's what you want for Ireland, kool.. good for you, but might as well just have a private army start being our police force as it would be the same...

A police force is suppose to maintain order in society, there's loads and loads of ways to do so without shooting someone brandishing a knife. Tasers, pepper sprays just to mention a few... I just can't believe in 2021 we still can't find a way to use a non-lethal way to stop someone brandishing a knife, specially someone belonging to the police force...

Thats not true. Her contract finished on 31st December. You are attempting to create fake news.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115827727&postcount=6531

My guess is the vast majority of posters and readers of this thread don't want spin and fakery.

The sister said she was pushed back inside. She didn’t say who pushed her but I’m sure the gsoc investigation will go through absolutely everything.

I think RTÉ should have left this one sided report until the investigation is concluded. The reporter stated that he had watched the video we all watched but he only said he saw 6/7 Garda and heard shots fired. He never mentioned seeing George and where he was in relation to the Garda he saw nor how his arms/body were positioned.

Also, the close up on the bunch of flowers (there were a few) with hashtag BLM wasn’t necessary.

If Primetime made a decision to show a floral tribute with a political slogan, it makes me wonder why they didn't pursue the theme further or simply state as to date there is no eveidence that this shooting was racist?
    Again, I haven't seen the segment yet

screamer wrote: »
    See photos of him as a child now circulating on media with more on the story accompanying them. I’m sorry now but he was no child when he went on that rampage, more pedalling and meddling from a certain cohort to squeeze the sympathy out.

Did RTE or other media show child prictures of Hennessy a few years ago?
    If not, why this shooting?
    These questions are the ones they need to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Remember Maurice McCabe ...

Not the only one, you can add John Wilson also

This is one of the things the casual observer really are not grasping, through no fault of their own.

The decision process to firing a weapon for effect is scrutinised to the fullest extent possible. As you said, each round fired and the justification surrounding it will be heavily questioned.

It could be found that the first 2 were justified but the remaining not justified. Maybe the unjustified shots led to the death.

For anyone entrusted in carrying a weapon on behalf of the state, they know full well that once they squeeze the trigger, theres no putting the round back in the magazine...you better have solid justification for discharging each round or you could be ****ed.

Its not a decision to be taken lightly.

yea, that's it. so easy for people sitting at their keyboards deciding guards should have shot his hand! or everything is ok because the guy had a knife etc.

It is going to be a long long investigation, particularly for the member concerned. Doubting his every move, and the worry that the investigation might find that the 3rd shot was not justified.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The poster is saying that Vicky Conway was sacked/asked to resign from the policing authority. That is a lie. It absolutely is an attempt to create fake news.

In your opinion.

To everyone else they just don't have their facts straight.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Vieira82 wrote: »
    Black, White, Brown, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, White. Whatever the color. I can't understand how so many Gardai could not immobilize an individual with a knife. Even using the fire arm. There's ways to do so without killing the individual... I'd understand he got shot in the leg and bled from that, that would have been involuntarily killing the person, but that's not what hapenned...

The case would be very different if he, (whatever his color was) was brandishing a fire arm. This means he could easily shot any of the Gardai at a distance and end someone's life which in my opinion would mean it was legitimate to shoot at him in self-defense.

White, Black, Purple, Deep Blue, Cyan, whatever... you really do not want Gardai or any law enforcement to use this kind of force often, unless of course you want Ireland to become a carbon copy of the US or Brazil and it's police forces that have incredible authority and even military grade equipment. If that's what you want for Ireland, kool.. good for you, but might as well just have a private army start being our police force as it would be the same...

A police force is suppose to maintain order in society, there's loads and loads of ways to do so without shooting someone brandishing a knife. Tasers, pepper sprays just to mention a few... I just can't believe in 2021 we still can't find a way to use a non-lethal way to stop someone brandishing a knife, specially someone belonging to the police force...

They used tasers and pepper spray. As for shooting for the legs, police are trained to shoot the torso because hitting the legs is more difficult and even if they hit the legs it isn't guaranteed it will stop the person. In the Abbeylara shooting, Gardaí aimed for the legs (despite their training) and managed to hit him twice in the legs. However, it did not stop him. The tribunal said this was a breach of Gardaí rules of engagement and international practice. They don't shoot the legs for a reason.

As for distance, someone with a knife can cover a serious amount of ground very quickly so even at distance they can be a real threat. There have been a few posts/videos showing this in the thread. You should check some of them out.

:rolleyes:

What's it like up there in cloud cuckoo land?

• Advertisement

another "shoot him in the leg or shoot the knife out of his hand " ?
    taxer and pepper spray used to no effect . do you really believe that the garda ment out to kill someone that day ?
    as for comparisons with police shootings in the US . Gardai have shot 6 people in the last 20 years , there was likely more than that killed in the US this year already .

sometimes lethal force is required to preserve the lives of others , George was actively attacking the gardai , that is clear and obvious from the video . he had already attacked multiple people that day and had the gardai not been so close to him he may have done more damage . who knows his intentions when he got home with his knife .

this seems like a post for the start of this thread …...

you must be trolling??

how did you miss the part where gardai used less lethal weapons, which failed to stop the risk, they then had no option but to move to more lethal weapons?

You must be looking to stir something here?

So much of this is nonsense.

They used pepper spray and tasers.
    Now; you also think that it is feasible to shoot an arm/leg of someone moving towards you, at speed, from 20ft away? Do you know how difficult that would be in such a circumstance? I would never expect someone to risk their (or other's) safety in that scenario.

I'm not going to post or link to (because of the actual subject matter therein) but there are numerous videos, on YouTube, of cops doing just that and getting closed in on. And they actually hit the attacker's limbs.
    There are also clips of attackers hit in the chest closing in on officers, because the officer did not do second or third shots.

Yes there are clips of cops disarming knife carriers but usually in a surprise move when the guy is distracted and not in the act of closing distance.

This is the government's fault (all of them historically) for completely ignoring mental health treatments and facilities.
    Where was the mental health space for him? Where was the mental health expert, on the scene?

You'd need a Jeremy Paxman type interviewer to do that. The national broadcaster has no-one of the ilk

Or as others have said that watched it, it was a puffpiece.
    Puffpieces are only of use to steer a narrative which for an investigative program is pretty crap.
    Hello magazine, maybe ok.
    The quality of interviewer at RTE is patchy for sure and appears to depend on the subject/interviewee

BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

What's it like up there in cloud cuckoo land?

thanks for your productive and constructive comment. Gotta love how some people don't even know how to argue at all just ad hominems left and right... You won the medal in this thread young man... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thank you for your input. All of the above has been dealt with in the thread. About a hundred times.

thanks for your productive and constructive comment. Gotta love how some people don't even know how to argue at all just ad hominems left and right... You won the medal in this thread young man... :)

Did you just assume my gender? :eek: Triggered. :D

No point replying to your post. Everything in it has been answered 100 times already in this thread.

Edit. I posted this earlier in the thread.
    This video is further proof that it's not realistic to shoot someone in the hand/leg to disarm them. Those kind of shots only happen in the movies.

There's a few reasons for this.

1. In a tense situation your heart is beating fast. This leads to shakes. This leads to difficulty aiming. Hard to hit a small target when you are shaking. I do target shooting as a hobby and if I have to rush to make it to the firing line for a competition, that's me busted. I'd hit fcukall because my heart rate would be up. And that's only a poxy amateur competition, not a situation where my life is on the line.

2. The target is moving. That also makes it unrealistic to hit the hand/shoulder/leg.

3. The trigger on my target pistol is set at 2lbs. Typically the cops have guns that are set in excess of 10lbs. This is to prevent accidental discharge. The downside of this is that they have to put more effort into pulling the trigger which means they are more likely to pull their shot to the left or right (depending on whether they are left handed or right handed).

Unfortunately cops/Gardai have to aim for centre mass to ensure that the threat is neutralised. Unfortunately that means that the thread is often killed in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They used tasers and pepper spray. As for shooting for the legs, police are trained to shoot the torso because hitting the legs is more difficult and even if they hit the legs it isn't guaranteed it will stop the person.
    Indeed.
    Here is a video where a knifeman is shot several times and still manages to charge again.
    https://youtu.be/KT0KcenH_eQ

If a person rushes me with a knife and I have a gun I will fire many times centre mass and not stop after each round to check if it was a good hit.
    It's my life or his, and it's not going to be mine.

So much of this is nonsense.

They used pepper spray and tasers.
    Now; you also think that it is feasible to shoot an arm/leg of someone moving towards you, at speed, from 20ft away? Do you know how difficult that would be in such a circumstance? I would never expect someone to risk their (or other's) safety in that scenario.

I'm not going to post or link to (because of the actual subject matter therein) but there are numerous videos, on YouTube, of cops doing just that and getting closed in on. And they actually hit the attacker's limbs.
    There are also clips of attackers hit in the chest closing in on officers, because the officer did not do second or third shots.

Yes there are clips of cops disarming knife carriers but usually in a surprise move when the guy is distracted and not in the act of closing distance.

This is the government's fault (all of them historically) for completely ignoring mental health treatments and facilities.
    Where was the mental health space for him? Where was the mental health expert, on the scene?

Well then he must have been superman to still being at it after being pepper sprayed and tasered... there's also plenty of videos of ppl being pepper sprayed and tasered that shows how effective it is...

Or you can always trust these guys to show it to you: https://youtu.be/Dzks7WYM4p0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well then he must have been superman to still being at it after being pepper sprayed and tasered... there's also plenty of videos of ppl being pepper sprayed and tasered that shows how effective it is...

Or you can always trust these guys to show it to you: https://youtu.be/Dzks7WYM4p0

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/27/729922975/despite-widespread-use-police-rate-tasers-as-less-effective-than-believed?t=1610102746911

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement