Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Vieira82 wrote: »
    In my view it's a pointless and stupid death that could have been avoided if one of the parts tried to keep it cool and engage verbally with the person in question.
    There was me thinking the Gardaí spent a good half hour engaging with George, repeatedly asking him to put the knife down, but he wouldn't.

But I guess I wasn't looking into their eyes or something, so I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

cdeb wrote: »
    This is one of the stupidest examples of "So what you're saying is..." that I have ever seen tbh.

Why bother responding to that poster. They are clearly trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I have no agenda, I never mentioned no race or creed. Your agenda though with personal attacks when you lack arguments though are absolutely laughable. :D

Gotta love when people faced with real information that burst their hatred little bubble...

Like I said before, facts don't care about your feelings. So thanks for feeling, but you're not adding anything constructive to the discussion. :)

I didn't mention race or creed either :confused:

what personal attacks do you mean ?

if your posts are in good faith then you have a massive problem that no on here can help you with .

mabey you can see and read my intentions if you could look into my eyes :D:D:D

what real information have you posted ?
    you raised some ridicules points that have been answered many times by many posters

as I ve said twice I think its best not to feed posters like you , :):) and to just report report report :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Please stop

gotta love "the army" of arguments you all have. Of what? ten comments? only two people actually tried to engage in a discussion.

And mate you're no one to tell me to stop or not. If it hurts, that's your own problem and your view that needs to change, not mine.

Isn't freedom of expression a staple of democracy? Or is it just you trying to shut up someone because you disagree with him? :D

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You're probably right. It's just - that comment was so utterly daft that I'm kind of fascinated as to the mindset behind it.

Maybe it's just trolling, which would be rather boring.

But maybe it's something more interesting. You don't know unless you ask! :)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Not sure how you can possibly infer that from my post.

Very simple Biko, because if you keep leveling your laws by the worse of society then your responses to the worse will progressively become exactly like you're trying to battle.

So if you keep writing into law by your worse cases of criminality instead of learning from those cases and cleverly writing laws that will difuse those, then you will eventually end up with a repressive regime like Saudi Arabia...

This is why if you got the gangland crimes, it's important to stop what's fueling their crime. You could pass a law to kill everyone in the gangs like the Philipines or all drug users, that's what you're advocating.

Or... you could make sure what makes their business move, that it becomes less profitable, that good education and resources are given to the teenagers they prey on (mostly white Irish btw) and eventually they dissipate because it stops being profitable for them to deal in what they deal.

This is text book crime fighting and there's plenty of examples of this around the world from the last few decades...

In your words though we should just legalize shooting everyone that is comiting a crime because you believe that laws should be written to placate the worse of society and not to actually removing it from society through civilized ways...

And by the way... the Philipines method has not been successfull...

The problem is, there's plenty of examples on how what you mentioned does not work, is just a matter of looking into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

gotta love "the army" of arguments you all have. Of what? ten comments? only two people actually tried to engage in a discussion.

And mate you're no one to tell me to stop or not. If it hurts, that's your own problem and your view that needs to change, not mine.

Isn't freedom of expression a staple of democracy? Or is it just you trying to shut up someone because you disagree with him? :D

No one wants to listen to you. I’m pretty sure you wrecked heads about a week ago iirc, people either think you’re a troll or have already danced.

All of the points you raised above have either been discussed multiple times in the thread or are simply rediculous.

Also stop the ‘facts don’t care about your feelings’ Ben Shapiro quote in every second post, it’s lost all meaning at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have no agenda, I never mentioned no race or creed. Your agenda though with personal attacks when you lack arguments though are absolutely laughable. :D

Gotta love when people faced with real information that burst their hatred little bubble...

Like I said before, facts don't care about your feelings. So thanks for feeling, but you're not adding anything constructive to the discussion. :)

"Hatred bubble"??

You've already made it clear, that in regard to a discussion on this particular incident on another thread- - that you believe - if it was you brandishing a knife - that you wouldn't have been shot at all - "but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified"

From the reports to date- it is evident that the reason the guy was eventually shot was that he had repeatedly failed to drop his weapon and remained a threat to others. Previously the gardai have had to resort to shooting armed individuals in a limited number of cases and no none of them were black.

But yeah sure keeping kicking that can down the road ..

mynamejeff wrote: »
    I didn't mention race or creed either :confused:

what personal attacks do you mean ?

if your posts are in good faith then you have a massive problem that no on here can help you with .

mabey you can see and read my intentions if you could look into my eyes :D:D:D

what real information have you posted ?
    you raised some ridicules points that have been answered many times by many posters

as I ve said twice I think its best not to feed posters like you , :):) and to just report report report :)

"Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a term that refers to several types of arguments, most of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. This avoids genuine debate by creating a diversion to some irrelevant but often highly charged issue. The most common form of this fallacy is "A makes a claim x, B asserts that A holds a property that is unwelcome, and hence B concludes that argument x is wrong"."

I think you should be the one reported as you keep using ad hominems, not adding anything constructive to discussion and now playing the victim card.

When you have any kind of decent arguments I'll gladly reply to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Black, White, Brown, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, White. Whatever the color. I can't understand how so many Gardai could not immobilize an individual with a knife. Even using the fire arm. There's ways to do so without killing the individual... I'd understand he got shot in the leg and bled from that, that would have been involuntarily killing the person, but that's not what hapenned...

How do you/we know that the Gardai didn't try to shoot him in the leg first? Maybe they did, they missed and went for his torso with the subsequent shots.

Looking at the pics on RTE last night, there are what look to be two bullet holes in the glass door. One of them is low down. Maybe that was a first shot?

We won't know anything fully until GSOC report back and until we see the Garda's own forensics reports and other reports (they will be running their own investigation on it). We'll also find out more after the inevitable court case on this.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    "Hated bubble"??

You've already made it clear, that in regard to a discussion on this particular incident on another thread- - that you believe - if it was you brandishing a knife - that you wouldn't have been shot at all - "but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified"

From the reports to date- it is evident that the reason the guy was eventually shot was that he had repeatedly failed to drop his weapon and remained a threat to others. Previously the gardai have had to resort to shooting armed individuals in a limited number of cases and no none of them were black.

But yeah sure keeping kicking that can down the road ..

That was a week ago? And before like I mentioned in my post, watch the Prime Time segment.

Jaysus you must be perfect never to change your mind. Also, do you remember on that thread how I went back and corrected a mistake I had done on a post?

You know what that is? That's being human and making mistakes, just like it is normal for people to change their opinions given more information coming to it.

The funny part is the perceived perfect individuals here that know it all about everything and when someone brings actual info to a discussion result in a number of ad hominem attacks because that's all they have, nothing else to add to the discussion.

And this for me is just laughable because, the inane lack of solid arguments and the automatic fall into personal attacks because none of you even bother to think about what you're writing, just spitting out whatever you read whenever and then acuse me of being the troll :D

Like I said, thanks for making me laugh, I'll continue to argue with those that bring actual info and arguments to the table and gladly listen and reply to those.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    cdeb wrote: »
    You're probably right. It's just - that comment was so utterly daft that I'm kind of fascinated as to the mindset behind it.

Maybe it's just trolling, which would be rather boring.

But maybe it's something more interesting. You don't know unless you ask! :)

Don't say it wasn't worth it in the end! :p

Very simple Biko, because if you keep leveling your laws by the worse of society then your responses to the worse will progressively become exactly like you're trying to battle.

So if you keep writing into law by your worse cases of criminality instead of learning from those cases and cleverly writing laws that will difuse those, then you will eventually end up with a repressive regime like Saudi Arabia...

This is why if you got the gangland crimes, it's important to stop what's fueling their crime. You could pass a law to kill everyone in the gangs like the Philipines or all drug users, that's what you're advocating.

Or... you could make sure what makes their business move, that it becomes less profitable, that good education and resources are given to the teenagers they prey on (mostly white Irish btw) and eventually they dissipate because it stops being profitable for them to deal in what they deal.

This is text book crime fighting and there's plenty of examples of this around the world from the last few decades...

In your words though we should just legalize shooting everyone that is comiting a crime because you believe that laws should be written to placate the worse of society and not to actually removing it from society through civilized ways...

And by the way... the Philipines method has not been successfull...

The problem is, there's plenty of examples on how what you mentioned does not work, is just a matter of looking into it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You know then, it's possible to know what the person is going through by looking into their eyes and facial expression. And yes could not agree more, each case is different.

However screaming at someone distressed and pointing two guns at them is not a solution in such cases... (relating to the video shared by biko)

And I'm not saying he did not hurt the store manager at all, of course he had, his adrenaline is rushing, he's being followed by Gardai, he knows he screwed up, he's going home to look for safety.

Just saw the Prime Time segment...

It's clear he went at the Gardai after they had some kind of interaction with his family, this is what triggered it. From the report, they say the Gardai did not know that was his home and they thought he was trying to break in and thought he was attacking the individuals in the house...

So it seems very clear this is a big mess of misunderstandings:

- The Gardai thinking that he's trying to hurt the people in that house
    - Him thinking they're trying to hurt him and his family
    - His family trying to inform the Gardai he has problems

But still, yes he is brandishing a knife, and the Gardai have to act as they believe he'll attack the people in the house.

He charges at the Gardai, they are informed non-lethals did not work, they shoot and kill him.

If they did in fact try to use non-lethal like pepper spray and so on I would like to know what happened when they do so. Was he immune to it, was he strong enough to not care and keep running, what happened when this was used is what seems the most important

From what seems to have happened, tempers flared up, screaming matches, no one understanding exactly what is happening and everyone fearing for their lives. In my view it's a pointless and stupid death that could have been avoided if one of the parts tried to keep it cool and engage verbally with the person in question.

But at the same time... I admit if it was me in that situation I probably would be dead right now and reacted in the same way. And I am sure if it was the same happening with anyone here, having so many law enforcement reps "at you, in your home, at your family", you would do the same. Not even mentioning any issues mentally he might have...

And I'm not saying if I was a Gardai thinking that a guy with a knife was trying to attack someone in a house that I would try to avoid it either.

So it just seems it was a missunderstanding from all parts given the extreme of the situation.

But the Gardai need to know how to deal with this situations. Being the ones paid by us to maintain law and order, they have to know how to deal with this.

So what's the harm in additional training on how to deal with extremely distressed individuals and irate individuals? Is that too much to ask if that's the result of the investigation?

TLDR: Wall of nonsense.

KevRossi wrote: »
    How do you/we know that the Gardai didn't try to shoot him in the leg first? Maybe they did, they missed and went for his torso with the subsequent shots.

Looking at the pics on RTE last night, there are what look to be two bullet holes in the glass door. One of them is low down. Maybe that was a first shot?

We won't know anything fully until GSOC report back and until we see the Garda's own forensics reports and other reports (they will be running their own investigation on it). We'll also find out more after the inevitable court case on this.

Excelent analysis, I was just watching it too and that seems to be the case indeed. But we can only be sure when we see the report at the end.

I made that post before I saw the Prime Time video and I haven o problem in admiting that shot may indicate that, but let's see what the report says...

TLDR: Wall of nonsense.

TLDR: Ad Hominem - The Fallacy of the weak of mind :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

"Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a term that refers to several types of arguments, most of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. This avoids genuine debate by creating a diversion to some irrelevant but often highly charged issue. The most common form of this fallacy is "A makes a claim x, B asserts that A holds a property that is unwelcome, and hence B concludes that argument x is wrong"."

I think you should be the one reported as you keep using ad hominems, not adding anything constructive to discussion and now playing the victim card.

When you have any kind of decent arguments I'll gladly reply to you. :)

why would you start now ?
    ill ask again so

what resources do you think the garda should have that would have prevented the necessary of using lethal force ?

more so that negation pepper spray tazer , shooting to disable (against regs ) and lethal force being the last resort ?

report away if you like im not he one trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

It doesn't hurt me, its cringey to read you tell people that all you need to do is to look into a persons eyes to know what they are going through in an armed stand off, then tell another poster to use facts not feelings when responding to you. Let the guards to their investigation, Im happy there wasn't a guard laid out bleeding in the garden because he tried to divine the inner George by looking into the windows of his soul.Loss of life is regrettable but this was a result of Georges actions. Also the race baiting online is the only thing fuelling this, if he was white this would be off the main news cycle by now.

KevRossi wrote: »

We do know that Gardai did not aim to shoot him in the leg first.
    They are trained to aim for the largest part of the target, which is the torso. If any bullets hit anywhere else, then they went off-target.
    They must stick to their training.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt me, its cringey to read you tell people that all you need to do is to look into a persons eyes to know what they are going through in an armed stand off, then tell another poster to use facts not feelings when responding to you. Let the guards to their investigation, Im happy there wasn't a guard laid out bleeding in the garden because he tried to divine the inner George by looking into the windows of his soul.Loss of life is regrettable but this was a result of Georges actions. Also the race baiting online is the only thing fuelling this, if he was white this would be off the main news cycle by now.

It does seem it hurt because you did comment didn't you? :D

One thing is feeling something based on nothing, another thing is experience in real life situations which I explained I have, like the person I was talking with have too.

I could say I am sadened that you took it out of context, but that's all part of your plan and others like you, create a different narrative so you can attack the person not the argument.

And then being told I should be reported? When all of you are the ones arguing against me not the discussion at hand? :D:D:D

bubblypop wrote: »
    We do know that Gardai did not aim to shoot him in the leg first.
    They are trained to aim for the largest part of the target, which is the torso. If any bullets hit anywhere else, then they went off-target.
    They must stick to their training.

at such a short range it might be difficult to go off target... and in a decision that takes half a second to be made it might have hapenned he went for the legs first.

But the report should show where the shots where aimed for sure, until then it is indeed speculation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Burkie1203 wrote: »

We already know how this will end.
    The Garda will be exonerated.
    They will suggest new equipment (electroshock or stun guns or something new) that will prevent this course of action (fatal shooting) having to be used in the future. Armed units will be trained up as soon as the new equipment is purchased.

In the meantime the Garda will use existing firearms.

That was a week ago? And before like I mentioned in my post, watch the Prime Time segment. Jaysus you must be perfect never to change your mind. Also, do you remember on that thread how I went back and corrected a mistake I had done on a post?You know what that is? That's being human and making mistakes, just like it is normal for people to change their opinions given more information coming to it. The funny part is the perceived perfect individuals here that know it all about everything and when someone brings actual info to a discussion result in a number of ad hominem attacks because that's all they have, nothing else to add to the discussion.
    And this for me is just laughable because, the inane lack of solid arguments and the automatic fall into personal attacks because none of you even bother to think about what you're writing, just spitting out whatever you read whenever and then acuse me of being the troll :D Like I said, thanks for making me laugh, I'll continue to argue with those that bring actual info and arguments to the table and gladly listen and reply to those.

It remains if you had bothered to read any of the thread - your initial rant about what happened on the day would have been largely unnecessary.

Btw I've checked and I see no "actual info" added to the discussion in any of your comments

You said. "I have no agenda, I never mentioned no race or creed". So no least part of that does not stand up to scrutiny.

Of course we can all change our minds - but it is Interesting then you previously came to that conclusion that he was shot because of skin colour - without looking at the available facts or even waiting for a full disclosure of what happened. But hey its just easier to throw accusation such as racism or gardai going around shooting people just like the US etc etc around.

That aside - its truely bizarre you seem to constantly resort to making personal type comments and digs in relation and them scream that its others are engaging in ad hominem etc etc. I've read the other thread and Tbh I've no interest in engaging in your style of discussion any further. I'll leave you at it.

We already know how this will end.
    The Garda will be exonerated.
    They will suggest new equipment (electroshock or stun guns or something new) that will prevent this course of action (fatal shooting) having to be used in the future. Armed units will be trained up as soon as the new equipment is purchased.

In the meantime the Garda will use existing firearms.

That's definitely the likely outcome of this, if everything that was in Prime time is anything to follow from...

gozunda wrote: »
    It remains if you had bothered to read any of the thread - your initial rant about what happened on the day would have been largely unnecessary.

Btw I've checked and I see no "actual info" added to the discussion in any of your comments

You said. "I have no agenda, I never mentioned no race or creed". So no least part of that does not stand up to scrutiny.

It is Interesting then you previoudly came to that conclusion that he was shot because of skin colour - without looking at the available facts or even waiting for a full disclosure of what happened. But hey its just easier to throw accusation such as racism or gardai going around shooting people just like the US etc etc around.

That aside - its truely bizarre you seem to constantly resort to making personal type comments and digs in relation and them scream that its others are engaging in ad hominem etc etc. I've read the other thread and Tbh I've no interest in engaging in your style of discussion any further. I'll leave you at it.

Ad Hominem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Gardai or blamed no matter what they do, the Irish Council for Civil Liberties, don't want them to have bodycams, pepper spray, etc

at such a short range it might be difficult to go off target... and in a decision that takes half a second to be made it might have hapenned he went for the legs first.

But the report should show where the shots where aimed for sure, until then it is indeed speculation

no, armed members do not aim for the leg.
    it is possible with a moving target that the shot could enter a leg, but I can assure you that nobody aimed for the leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

.... However screaming at someone distressed and pointing two guns at them is not a solution in such cases...

So it seems very clear this is a big mess of misunderstandings:

- The Gardai thinking that he's trying to hurt the people in that house
    - Him thinking they're trying to hurt him and his family
    - His family trying to inform the Gardai he has problems

.........But the Gardai need to know how to deal with this situations. Being the ones paid by us to maintain law and order, they have to know how to deal with this.

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from but it's a staggeringly naïve point of view

To paraphrase a quote re the gardai - "They're successes are private, they're failures are public".

EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Gardaí have to deal with these kind of crises.
    They are well trained and adapt to each situation where they escalate to ASU / ERU when "talking" to the person(s) doesn't work.

The armed units similarly try to talk the person down (It's hoped that the threat of a gun will then make the person de escalate when theres a threat of harm.
    They DO NOT arrive on scene shouting and roaring.

The gardai didn't think he WAS going to hurt the people in the house.
    It's an armed man who has been proven to be violent by virtue of the beginnings of this incident - Police forces worldwide instruct that you do not allow that individual indoors where there may be persons who may be in danger.

The gardai DO know how to deal with the situation. There has been NO EVIDENCE to suggest that they have done anything incorrectly or outside of procedure.

And as for that "Doctor" suggesting trained personnel available - she's in cloud cuckoo land.

It's not an ad hominem, as you pointed out earlier, an ad hominem is an attack on the person's character etc. That was just a wall of nonsense.

that is ad hominem, and now that you where called on it you pull the victim card. You all behave in the same way.

and btw... your opinion is really just that, your opinion, when you wish to join the grown ups in a constructive discussion, we're all here :)

To reiterate...

And again to form. Standard response when you can't formulate a coherent argument or back up what you say. Well done btw.

Take a read again - My comments simplty outlined how your arguments to date do not stand up to scrutiny.

You're welcome.

Edit:
    On accusations of another poster using the "victim card" - of note you've accused numerous posters of ad hom no less than a half a dozen times in the space of less than 3 hours...

• Advertisement

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from but it's a staggeringly naïve point of view

To paraphrase a quote re the gardai - "They're successes are private, they're failures are public".

EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Gardaí have to deal with these kind of crises.
    They are well trained and adapt to each situation where they escalate to ASU / ERU when "talking" to the person(s) doesn't work.

The armed units similarly try to talk the person down (It's hoped that the threat of a gun will then make the person de escalate when theres a threat of harm.
    They DO NOT arrive on scene shouting and roaring.

The gardai didn't think he WAS going to hurt the people in the house.
    It's an armed man who has been proven to be violent by virtue of the beginnings of this incident - Police forces worldwide instruct that you do not allow that individual indoors where there may be persons who may be in danger.

The gardai DO know how to deal with the situation. There has been NO EVIDENCE to suggest that they have done anything incorrectly or outside of procedure.

And as for that "Doctor" suggesting trained personnel available - she's in cloud cuckoo land.

To be honest, their successes should not be private, I think this actually is important, thanks for pointing this out. The public should be informed of the Gardai successes more often and more openly. I do think the Gardai do a good job and there are lot's of people that attack them on a regular basis.

They are though incredibly underfunded and understaffed and that can all be reasons to lead for stressed Gardai that then can make mistakes when under pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement