Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Maybe a helmet cam would be better. Body cams are good and all, but would you see the perpetrators eyes? Would you be able to guage from their soul that they're just a scared little boy with a large knife, crying out for a hug, and confused at the people shouting "Drop the knife" rather than a grown man with a lethal weapon with a body cam. :P:P

You want the perpetrator to be wearing a camera too...wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why don't you stop making it about racism?

Where did I please do explain.

I'm sick to death of this racist crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

newmember? wrote: »
    You want the perpetrator to be wearing a camera too...wtf?

What are you talking about?

Every shot means every time he pulled the trigger.
    He must justify every time he pulled the trigger
    #

Ah cmon...I've phrased it as simply and clear as I could manage...five bullets were fired...some landed in the victim...some didn't...which bullets landed in the victim e.g 1, 3, 5?... and which ones didn't e.g bullet 2 and 4 - how do they figure this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The problem with helmet cams is they have to be issued and worn during a situation like we saw ,
    A fast moving situation might like that might not allow a helmet put on and make sure the camera is recording ,
    Body cameras are ideal but here the privacy rights crowds have more or less stopped them being used,
    Every guard should have a body camera as part of his or her issued uniform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

#

Ah cmon...I've phrased it as simply and clear as I could manage...five bullets were fired...some landed in the victim...some didn't...which bullets landed in the victim e.g 1, 3, 5?... and which ones didn't e.g bullet 2 and 4 - how do they figure this out?

they would recall it and say they continued to fire after the 1,2,3,4th shot until the 5th where the threat stopped that at each stage they paused and took stock of the situation and decided that the threat had not been stopped.

They are shooting to stop the threat so if shot 4 goes through the side of a t shirt or goes through their body but doesn't do enough damage to stop them then you still need the next shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Once the order/decision to neutralize is given/taken you take down your target.

It’s not a shoot in the leg and hope he stops type deal.

Garda and police are trained to shoot till it's no longer a threat....

This was probably one of the cleanest shootings one could see.

Of course it's sad he died, but I'm a lot happier it was the person attacking others and not an innocent member of the public or a Garda.

Even though an officer signs up they have every right to go home safe.

#

They dont?
    That's not what investigating whether it was a justified shooting is about.
    They could make educated guesses, based on the reaction of the individual that was shot.
    GSOC are only interested in whether gardai acted lawfully.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Once the order/decision to neutralize is given/taken you take down your target.

It’s not a shoot in the leg and hope he stops type deal.

Gardai must justify every time the trigger is pulled.
    I'm not sure why your talking about shooting a leg? I'm well aware of where they aim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Part of me feels the likes of Ryan Turbridy are hoping the Garda will be found at fault. So, he can have the family on for a compassionate interview with them.

They dont?
    That's not what investigating whether it was a justified shooting is about.
    They could make educated guesses, based on the reaction of the individual that was shot.
    GSOC are only interested in whether gardai acted lawfully.

Is the order of shots fired and hitting the target (or not) not important for the investigation to determine exactly what you've said - whether the garda acted lawfully, no? You're saying the only investigation is the recall of the garda who discharged his weapon and the witnesses to this but nothing more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Part of me feels the likes of Ryan Turbridy are hoping the Garda will be found at fault. So, he can have the family on for a compassionate interview with them.

There's plenty of people in this country who see a black man shot by the Gardai and think "just like America".

Years ago we were falling over ourselves to open American fast food restaurants, watch American TV shows and movies, ape every single thing in American culture. Now we're adopting their social problems as well.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

nullzero wrote: »
    There's plenty of people in this country who see a black man shot by the Gardai and think "just like America".

Years ago we were falling over ourselves to open American fast food restaurants, watch American TV shows and movies, ape every single thing in American culture. Now we're adopting their social problems as well.

And line-dancing, who could forget line-dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is the order of shots fired and hitting the target (or not) not important for the investigation to determine exactly what you've said - whether the garda acted lawfully, no? You're saying the only investigation is the recall of the garda who discharged his weapon and the witnesses to this but nothing more than that?

The bullets are numbered 1,2,3,4,5.
    Probably 2,4 and 5 hit him 🤪🤪

Married with children was brilliant though....

The officers imho done everything they could, unarmed and armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Folks,

Can you share the GoFundMe link for Wayne the EUROSPAR manager who was brutally assaulted , the fund for him to recover is now just over 14k, lets try and get the target of 15k and more.

Wayne has suffered greatly in this un-provoked attack on him, he received serious facial injuries and was just doing his job.

Let us not forget the victim which the mainstream media seem to have forgotten or even bothered to see how he is recovering.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?d=Mfs2ssMn1pKDMl84gzBGa0KYRRh4KkZS25n57GBOBsQ%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

kravmaga wrote: »
    Folks,

Can you share the GoFundMe link for Wayne the EUROSPAR manager who was brutally assaulted , the fund for him to recover is now just over 14k, lets try and get the target of 15k and more.

Wayne has suffered greatly in this un-provoked attack on him, he received serious facial injuries and was just doing his job.

Let us not forget the victim which the mainstream media seem to have forgotten or even bothered to see how he is recovering.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?d=Mfs2ssMn1pKDMl84gzBGa0KYRRh4KkZS25n57GBOBsQ%3D

He is too white to be considered a victim

The important thing is that every shot was justified. It's the member that has to show that they were lawfully taken shots. This is not easy.
    The member needs to show that they reassess the threat after very shot before taking another.
    If a shot missed the target, then the next shot is easily justified, wouldn't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭del roy

kravmaga wrote: »
    Folks,

Totally wrong there, PRIMETIME (Rte) are sending a camera crew up to the hospital to interview him, loading the van as I type, sure it would be completely wrong for them just to give out one side of the story. :D

They know everyone is watching and waiting, they are not STUPID.

Lets for the purpose of a wait and see idea suggest they donate €100 for everyday they let pass without interviewing him.

Its far too funny to joke about but I wonder will they ever get to him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

del roy wrote: »
    Totally wrong there, PRIMETIME (Rte) are sending a camera crew up to the hospital to interview him, loading the van as I type, sure it would be completely wrong for them just to give out one side of the story. :D

They know everyone is watching and waiting, they are not STUPID.

Lets for the purpose of a wait and see idea suggest they donate €100 for everyday they let pass without interviewing him.

Its far too funny to joke about but I wonder will they ever get to him.

I’m sure I saw a post that said “are we sure that even happened?” - so not only are they largely ignoring him as he doesn’t fit their story but there are small pockets who even discredit the story completely.

I hope he recovers well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Then back to Foxrock or Monkstown or wherever he lives no where near persons of African ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I’m sure I saw a post that said “are we sure that even happened?” - so not only are they largely ignoring him as he doesn’t fit their story but there are small pockets who even discredit the story completely.

I hope he recovers well.

Where was that posted? I've seen people here questioning false claims he was sliced with a machete all right but nothing doubting the assault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

TheChizler wrote: »
    Where was that posted? I've seen people here questioning false claims he was sliced with a machete all right but nothing doubting the assault.

Sorry it was a post here sometime today where the original post said about the attack on the EuroSpar worker and the comment was “are you sure that happened?”.

I’ll try to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

TheChizler wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115845260&postcount=6715

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Shot 1. He's trying to kill gardai with a knife
    Shot 2. He's still trying to kill gardai with a knife
    Shot 3. Yep, still trying to kill gardai with a knife
    Shot 4. Whoa, still up and intent on killing gardai with a knife
    Shot 5. Down he goes and all gardai and members of the public are safe from the knife wielding lunatic

Justification enough for me, thank you garda.

The important thing is that every shot was justified. It's the member that has to show that they were lawfully taken shots. This is not easy.
    The member needs to show that they reassess the threat after very shot before taking another.
    If a shot missed the target, then the next shot is easily justified, wouldn't you think?

Yes, but surely they examine the physical evidence and not just see how believable the Garda's story is. I've seen it at crime scenes before - where the bullet holes are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

givyjoe wrote: »
    Interesting insights from your experiences but they differ to this case, George most certainly did do harm to one person before shooting, beating up the shopworker and the video shows him swinging a blade very close to a guards head. Very much look likes he intended to do serious harm with the blade, having already badly beaten the shopworker. Not at all comparable to the incidents you personally experienced.

“Incidents you personally experienced” I’d say didn’t experience at all as described.....I can spot a spoofer a mile off. At best exaggerated to another stratosphere and worst a fantasist.

The posters job was to take the house off the farmer but through their personal excellence the farmer kept the house......what is the person pretending even happened....delusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shot 1. He's trying to kill gardai with a knife
    Shot 2. He's still trying to kill gardai with a knife
    Shot 3. Yep, still trying to kill gardai with a knife
    Shot 4. Whoa, still up and intent on killing gardai with a knife
    Shot 5. Down he goes and all gardai and members of the public are safe from the knife wielding lunatic

Justification enough for me, thank you garda.

Common sense like that isn’t fashionable...

Either is the fact that he already assaulted somebody with this deadly weapon, tried to do the same to Gardai..he was in the aftermath trying to access a residential property with people present in the same agitated and demented state... he shuts that hall door and locks it, murder is probable...while none of us are likely to be experts on Garda tactical best practices, simple logic though would indicate that he required stopping by any necessary means... talking, reasoning, imploring hadn’t worked... he stabbed somebody...a quite innocent person... he was capable of murder, he demonstrated this... needed stopping, was stopped, thankfully in time.. good result.

He choose violence... he paid the price. If that choice was influenced and informed by evil or by mental illness... it’s no different... he had to be prevented from killing or maiming... can’t say to the wife of the man he might have killed.. “sorry, we couldn’t do anything as he didn’t want to be talked out of it and as he was believed to be mentally ill we are no longer of the ability to use force to neutralize his threat.. “

It’s mad how people advocate that mentally ill people should not be held accountable... sorry... if you endanger somebody’s ability to be alive, with force / violence, expect the same to be used to prevent you realizing your sick goal..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement