Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Morathi wrote: »

But they never mention race.. Unless it's a good news story for positive propaganda.. Or unless a member of minority community is the victim of a white racist attack.

If a black man foiled the robbery... or a black shop assistant was injured by a racist white thug, you can be certain they will scream out the ethnicities involved in the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,506 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

McCrack wrote: »
    Possibly

However the video appears the armed suspect was going into a house when he was shot in the back by the armed Garda

Suspect then turns and lunges at the armed garda and is shot four more times

How were the Gardai to know he wasn’t going to indiscriminately going to attack the people in the house? They did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

It's not about if you agree or disagree with members actions in relation to a killing, it's the hard fact which will come out in a couple of days.

Will all the guards statements line-up as per usual?
    Is there bodycam video?
    Why decide to be so close if they've their guns drawn?
    What was the rush to end this incident, though guards have experts to end situation like this?
    Was there more the 1 guard who shot at the suspect?
    Did the bullets hit body mass or was the suspect shot in the head?

For the love of jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

.anon. wrote: »
    I think someone who tries to stab a Guard when surrounded by fifteen Guards, at least one of whom is armed with a gun, might not be your common or garden 'violent thug' or 'scumbag'. There might be better ways of deescalating such situations (i.e. with trained medical professionals), but I'm not saying that what ultimately happened is the fault of the individual Guards. Just that they shouldn't be placed in such an impossible situation in the first instance.

I feel sorry for the Guard who fired the shot, because I strongly doubt that they feel as blasé about the whole thing as some people on here.

I doubt any of his other victims feel blasé about it either his brother comes across as another scumbag too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I think someone who tries to stab a Guard when surrounded by fifteen Guards, at least one of whom is armed with a gun, might not be your common or garden 'violent thug' or 'scumbag'. There might be better ways of deescalating such situations (i.e. with trained medical professionals), but I'm not saying that what ultimately happened is the fault of the individual Guards. Just that they shouldn't be placed in such an impossible situation in the first instance.

I feel sorry for the Guard who fired the shot, because I strongly doubt that they feel as blasé about the whole thing as some people on here.

Send in the social worker. Jesus Christ .anon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But they never mention race.. Unless it's a good news story for positive propaganda.. Or unless a member of minority community is the victim of a white racist attack.

If a black man foiled the robbery... or a black shop assistant was injured by a racist white thug, you can be certain they will scream out the ethnicities involved in the headlines.

RTE report the death of black people in America as African American, when they are killed by police there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

obi604 wrote: »
    For the love of jaysus.

Go on caller spit it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭McCrack

Strumms wrote: »
    How were the Gardai to know he wasn’t going to indiscriminately going to attack the people in the house? They did the right thing.

We don't yet know what knowledge the Gardai had as to whether anyone was in the house or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A lot of the politicians wading in on this have had bones to pick with the Gardai well before now. This is just a wonderful opportunity to have a shot off them while also appearing to come across all modern and "woke" for want of a better word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just to expand on the question what do we now consider a march?;)

I consider it 30 odd days between February and April, ymmv though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Yes, let's dispatch a crack team of shrinks and sofas to our next knife wielding crackpot to determine if he has any childhood issues he might like to share?

Flippant shite like that adds nothing. Let's dispatch Gardai and medical professionals who are trained in the deescalation of situations where a severely mentally ill person is running amok with a knife. I'd hope any inquiry focuses on procedures, rather than on the individual who fired the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Our Lord Mayor should be fired, she wouldn’t post this if a white criminal was shot by the guards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This could head for a tribunal of inquiry.

Unlikely I'd imagine. Hard to see how the GSOC investigation won't clear the Gardaí given the events leading up to the incident and the video footage available, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Our Lord Mayor should be fired, she wouldn’t post this if a white criminal was shot by the guards

Should have never got the job in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wasn't she allowing her scumbag boyfriend to deal drugs and illegal weapons from her house.

Playing with fire gets people in trouble

Allowing? Oh like she owned him? Your line of thinking really is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Presumably the intention of the Guard was to subdue the threat for public safety.

His intention wasn't to "murder" the victim.

That's not saying there wasn't excessive force. I just think there needs to be some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

Flippant shite like that adds nothing. Let's dispatch Gardai and medical professionals who are trained in the deescalation of situations where a severely mentally ill person is running amok with a knife. I'd hope any inquiry focuses on procedures, rather than on the individual who fired the shot.

If the medical professionals fail and he continues to not drop the knife after having used it and in fact then lunges at those present then what?

A lot of the politicians wading in on this have had bones to pick with the Gardai well before now. This is just a wonderful opportunity to have a shot off them while also appearing to come across all modern and "woke" for want of a better word.

Yeah, I for one am sending a couple of emails to various offices tomorrow. The stoking of the fires by community leaders is absolutely unacceptable.

Save that screenshot and spread it everywhere.

She tweeted worst earlier blaming the Gards for been racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

537719.png

Look at the damage control message added some time later.

This woman needs to be fired ASAP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Nigzcurran wrote: »

Not a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

The latest rules due to Covid restrictions is a max of 10 people at any funerals. I'll be watching closely to see if that is enforced for this thug considering I had to watch my own aunties funeral on a live stream back in April a woman who worked as a nurse for almost 40 years helping others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭McCrack

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Think the first shot was a warning shot and then he turned and lunges at the Garda.

Warning shot for what? If he's moving away from the Gardai to go into the house why would they fire a "warning shot".

It does look like the first shot was into his back as he's going into the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Witcher wrote: »
    Kyle, god love him, isn't cut out for the real world I don't think

https://twitter.com/KYLEM0RAN/status/1291827907606831104?s=20

Jesus Christ Almighty. As my mother would say - a good kick up the hole might sort him out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

537719.png

Those Tweets aren't in the same league as Murphy or Coppinger. Hasn't assigned any blame or criticised the actions of Gardai at all.

Nothing wrong with sympathising with the man's family, they didn't do anything.

537719.png

We need the tweet from earlier when she called the Gards racist.

She obviously backtracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I can see this escalating.

Theres a lot of anger out there from people with a racial agenda who cant see this for what it is.

The bandwagon is absolutely packed and they are joyriding the fcuk out of it as far as it will go.

Its unfortunate that the guy died but it wasnt because of racism.

However, I believe it will be the catalyst for an increase of young black guys assaulting white guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I think it's appropriate the Dublinlive link refers to the attacker as a "knifeman". No other language is required to describe him. Not his lifestyle choice, not his age and not his colour. A "knifeman" is easy to understand as being a man with a knife.

With that part resolved, hopefully all the media will choose appropriate language to describe the attacker. I hope they don't start using loaded terms to paint him as someone hard done by it will only encourage misguided people to start acting up more than they already are.

There is an issue with the soft touch approach to crime and criminals here. From the Guards being afraid to make an incorrect judgement fearing they will have GSOC and media all over them (I often wonder why people bother entering the guards here the way they are treated and considering the job they do to protect us all), to the solicitors and Judges tucking in to all the fees on the criminal justice system merry go round.
    I hope this incident sends out a message to would be attackers that there is a real risk you will be killed. The guards have to protect themselves first and unlike you and me, they are trained how to get the job done quickly and safely because they have to be accountable.

Talking about using tasers and such, some of these attackers are high as a kite on serious drugs (being high can also get you mitigating punishment discounts from some judges) and won't respond to sprays or shocks the way you might like. That's what the gun is for.
    Can you imagine if the ASU were not there to help? The videos you are all seeing on WhatsApp could have been a lot different. Imagine seeing an unarmed guard being chased down and hacked with a machete! That's what you're dealing with here.
    I find it reassuring that we have the tools and resources to front up this threat. We live in a peaceful country where the guards aren't armed. We're very privelaged. In return we all should act accordingly and appreciate that environment.
    But when it's needed, the resources are there to come in hard where serious threats exist.

As a society I think we should be keeping an eye on this kind of event for future occurrences. I really do not like the idea of Ireland going down the route of UK for example where lads are going around with machetes robbing and endangering everyone around them. We have to deal with this sort of thing.

The guards involved today all have my backing. Each one of them. As a team, this is what they went in to training for and spent hours practicing standoffs, negotiations, self defence, public protection and firing weapons and today they delivered an excellent account of the training we paid for them to undertake.

A bonus is that they have saved us a fortune as well in solicitor and legal fees plus prison fees.

I'll put it to you this way, after the high profile cases we saw play out this year involving the convictions of men who murdered guards doing their job, I'm happy that we have a 3 minute segment on RTE about the fact that the guards shot an armed attacker today and not that we have headline news that a guard was killed on duty...again.

Following on, on glancing at twitter I'm now seeing that they are identifying the Garda in involved and promising revenge.
    This stuff needs to be tackled head on.

I stated in my post that race and lifestyle choices need to be left out of it but I'm now seeing serious concerted efforts at race baiting going on social media.

Cool heads needed particularly from our media because we do not need that American ****e here.
    So far what we've seen is a man who attacked a member of the police force with a machete was shot. This all came after he had been patrolled using peaceful efforts after boxing the head off a store manager Inna spar.

I don't care of his colour. You can't do those things and expect the Guards not to fire in defence.
    Please media, don't bait the mob with race claims.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Those Tweets aren't in the same league as Murphy or Coppinger. Hasn't assigned any blame or criticised the actions of Gardai at all.

She did earlier

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement