Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

carfinder wrote: »
    Yet another photo of George as a child, this time a family portrait from years ago. This is a serious whiff of professional PR about these articles. Makes you wonder who is involved in the background!
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/george-nkenchos-family-we-all-really-miss-him-how-could-this-happen-39951623.html

The family lawyer probably has a PR team setting the stage for their inevitable civil claim against the state. Seeing as everything else appears to be parroting America, the 'ghetto lottery' is the next card to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

To be fair, the Dublin Mayor Awards are a way for the community to democratically forward their gratitude and appreciation for whoever is the recipient in the end.
    Because it's democratic and requires people to engage and provide their vote, then the result should also demonstrate to organisers what kind of community is around them and what the community espouses and would like to see.

With that in mind, I'm not surprised the likely winners are going to be the EUROSPAR store manager and the ASU of the Gardai.

It should be sufficient also to remind public figures that the community are not stupid and that by just providing them with a little support publically, there are plenty of reciprocal votes.

What are they afraid of.

Not living in Dublin but just wanted to ask, is the Dublin mayor elected by vote of the people or whoever controls the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Not living in Dublin but just wanted to ask, is the Dublin mayor elected by vote of the people or whoever controls the council?

Elected by Councillors for 12 months. In reality it's horsetrading; you do it this year, we'll do it next year etc. etc.

Decent money in it too: €66,000 + a €10,000 unvouched expenses grant. That was in 2016, seriously doubt they are getting paid any less this year.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/02/10/enid-councillors-and-tds-are-paid-more-than-you-think
    The Lord Mayor gets a salary of €66,565, which includes the basic councillor salary and an unvouched tax free allowance of €10,000, plus the Mansion House for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Who ever controls the council

Usually the parties do a pact and rotate it among themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I suppose someone elected to her to the council but she was never actually elected by the people to the position of mayor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭Acosta

You said it the gang was a mix. On the day in Carrigaline, what was the breakdown of the gang? How many white scumbags were there?

According to the Guards involved and reports from the case the motivation for the attack was money, not race, so it really doesn't matter what the breakdown of the gangs skin colour on the night was. The only mention of racism during the court case that has been reported was in relation to the efforts of racists across social media platforms trying to use the incident to drum up hate against black people. 7 or 8 months later this is still happening here.

There also was no mention of race in the impact statement from the victims family. And they wanted nothing to do with the national party trying to use their son as tool to aid their racist fantasies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

wandererz wrote: »
    Here's one for Gogglebox Ireland producers.

Do a session on the news of the shooting and subsequent mob violence and let's see the range of responses.

It will be like them watching Peter Casey on The Late Late Show again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes, and glossing over and excusing “die you white bastards” is not a good idea.

Ah sure they were only having the craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

Zatoichi wrote: »
    The family lawyer probably has a PR team setting the stage for their inevitable civil claim against the state. Seeing as everything else appears to be parroting America, the 'ghetto lottery' is the next card to play.
    The same family that, according to the Irish Times, "Gardaí had been called to the house earlier in the year following a violent incident in which he had made family members fear for their safety."
    This detail, if true, validates the Garda action to prevent the deceased from getting in to the house. The family should be praising the gardai for saving them from being harmed by their out of control brother/son.
    The continued publishing of childhood photos of the deceased indicates that adult photos of him don't align with the image some want portrayed.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...?mode=amp&s=08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ah sure they were only having the craic...
    I remember a thread a good while back about black gangs terrorising people on the Luas and other modes of public transport, and that excuse was actually used by some posters i.e. they were only acting like teenagers. The warning was given then that things were only to get worse, and it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

In a 2019 plebiscite, Limerick people voted for the concept of a directly elected mayor. The first mayoral election is expected by October 2021. Limerick will be the first Local Authority with a directly elected mayor.

Cork and Waterford rejected the proposal.

In Dublin, there are four Councils. I understand that the idea of a directly elected "overall mayor" was floated once. If I recall, they couldn't agree upon the terms and conditions.... so the idea was shelved.

Typically, Councillors take turns as mayor. It is not a meritocracy.

For example, if Fine Gael and Fianna Fail had 40% each of Councillors and Sinn Fein had 20% Councillors, the mayorship would be carved up as follows:

Fine Gael - 2 mayors in 5 years
    Fianna Fail - 2 mayors in 5 years
    Sinn Fein - 1 mayor in 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Acosta wrote: »
    According to the Guards involved and reports from the case the motivation for the attack was money, not race, so it really doesn't matter what the breakdown of the gangs skin colour on the night was. The only mention of racism during the court case that has been reported was in relation to the efforts of racists across social media platforms trying to use the incident to drum up hate against black people. 7 or 8 months later this is still happening here.

There also was no mention of race in the impact statement from the victims family. And they wanted nothing to do with the national party trying to use their son as tool to aid their racist fantasies.

Didn’t ask any of the above, how about answering what I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I do seriously hope there is a Garda member on here that sees all the comments commending the officers and that we are fully behind, not just a keyboard warrior I actually mean it....

I for one am totally behind them and what they had to do and hope they wouldn't hesitate in the future as what's happening across the water they are hesitant which is costing them their lives.

Great job to all and especially the one that shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ah, the far right cry again.
    Very few people believe that the brutal assault on the white kid was all about €2. Race did come into the court case when the thug's solicitor tried to get his sentence reduced by claiming the race card for his client. And the colour of the gang most definitely did matter on whether the victim on that day was either white or black, just like the Nkencho gang of protestors targeted people in Blanchardstown due to their white skin. Or is that a far right fantasy too?

I dont know much about the Cork incident (other than what I read on this thread) but I'm sure it was much easier for the gardai to prosecute the case as a straight forward attack rather than go down the more complicated road of prosecuting it as a hate crime so I wouldn't put much weight on your "proof". Simple, undisputed fact is that a black guy attacked a white guy. That seems to becoming more frequent in Ireland (Balbriggan gangs comes to mind) and needs to be acknowledged rather than an unchallenged self serving institutional racism narrative being spun by BLM and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭enricoh

carfinder wrote: »
    The same family that, according to the Irish Times, "Gardaí had been called to the house earlier in the year following a violent incident in which he had made family members fear for their safety."
    This detail, if true, validates the Garda action to prevent the deceased from getting in to the house. The family should be praising the gardai for saving them from being harmed by their out of control brother/son.
    The continued publishing of childhood photos of the deceased indicates that adult photos of him don't align with the image some want portrayed.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...?mode=amp&s=08

Ain't no compo payouts possible with that attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah what the hell is up with all the photos of the dead guy as a child?

I don’t remember other dead violent knife men getting this treatment?

Didn’t ask any of the above, how about answering what I asked.

I wasn't there. All I can tell you is what I heard from locals. There was both black and white lads that formed a gang from Ballincollig that got the bus to Carrigaline to cause trouble. If you want a more detailed report try calling the Guards in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yes, and glossing over and excusing “die you white bastards” is not a good idea.
    I guess, don't know what it has to do with this conversation though.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Very few people believe that the brutal assault on the white kid was all about €2.

Take it up with the investigating Guards and the Judge because they believe otherwise.

• Advertisement

I wasn't there. All I can tell you is what I heard from locals. There was both black and white lads that formed a gang from Ballincollig that got the bus to Carrigaline to cause trouble. If you want a more detailed report try calling the Guards in Carrigaline.

So you were speculating when you said it was white and black thugs involved. As suspected. Please refrain from passing off speculation as fact in the future.

Take it up with the investigating Guards and the Judge because they believe otherwise.

And again, passing speculation off as fact. You’ve no idea what the Gardai or judge believed. You only know what he was charged with and what he was sentenced to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When I die I hope they can't get any of my child photos I'd be disgusted.....

Only want when I super food looking as I am now....

The woke are it seems into everything now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

While this idea of nominating the Spar lad the the Blanch ARU is a great idea, are they actually eligible? If it is a DCC council award I wouldn't have thought it was (Blanch is in Fingal council district)

You have no idea what they believe, only what they decided to prosecute the perpetrator for. As I stated earlier, the garda (and DPP) didn't need to take the risk of prosecuting the perpetrator for a hate crime and introduce complications and risks in to the case when there was ample incriminating evidence to get the perp put away for a straightforward attack.

I doubt you are that naive to actually believe what you wrote - but it suits your contrarion viewpoint. Your "proof" has no weight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

TheChizler wrote: »

Absolutely everything but I can see why it would be unfortunate for your point of view .

TheChizler wrote: »

You obviously got lost and posted on the wrong thread - it is central to this conversation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

While this idea of nominating the Spar lad the the Blanch ARU is a great idea, are they actually eligible? If it is a DCC council award I wouldn't have thought it was (Blanch is in Fingal council district)

Not a hope will that be allowed to happen

It's not really a great idea, the member of the Gardai will not be going accepting medals for shooting someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Absolutely everything but I can see why it would be unfortunate for your point of view .
    What's my point of view?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement