Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ugh, here I go with my post to the ether.

The guy is dead. The investigation is presumably ongoing.

The family of the dead guy can read all this.

The family of the Guards involved can read all this.

Does it need to go on?

All fair points but when you have community leaders and elected officials giving outrageous and unfounded takes, it keeps discussion going. The questionable media coverage is worthy of comment in and of itself too imo.

Omackeral wrote: »
    All fair points but when you have community leaders and elected officials giving outrageous and unfounded takes, it keeps discussion going. The questionable media coverage is worthy of comment in and of itself too imo.

But you also have 600 pages of crap that both the family and the guards involved are able to read about themselves being called out for various different reasons. Not helpful, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

But you also have 600 pages of crap that both the family and the guards involved are able to read about themselves being called out for various different reasons. Not helpful, in my opinion.

Why have a discussion board at all?

Somebody could be offended by any topic.

Anything off colour isn't tolerated, this may be an extremely sad story but it's something people are entitled to discuss in a respectful manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The price you gotta pay, for living in a democracy.

If we were in China,, it might not be just your WiFi they’d cut off.........

Gardai are public servants.... are and should be, in a democracy, open to public comment, scrutiny, criticism, praise all when warranted, it’s not Beijing.

Nah. I've already stated my thinking, based on what we know, several times now.

I'm just surprised at the lack of voices that would frame it in such ways on this thread. Given that the threads on Trump and O'Doherty are full of righteous indignation, and yet they won't touch this thread with a 10 ft bargepole.

I guess there is some sacred cows that are not open for discussion

If serious you lost any credibility at "whiteness".
    I'm embarrassed I thought you were joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Yes fair point but also people aren't willing to cede the telling of the story to the other talking heads who are painting this scenario as innocent black child hunted down and gunned in the street by gang of racist Irish Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Couldn't get it shut down in Feedback, so you decided to come in here to try and get it shut down? If you don't like a thread you can not click into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

People complaining in the Feedback thread about the quality of the posting here, then start posting rhymes & rap in relation to the shooting.

Hypocritical much.

Multiple posts deleted.

Next one will be a ban.

Twitter and the media is full of whats being posted here. Theres nothing here that isn't uttered elsewhere.
    This is a discussion site, where ideally opinions are robustly defended. Feel free to contribute.
    (FWIW , I reckon the Gardai might be encouraged by some of the content)

If aggrieved, I suggest avoiding the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Effects wrote: »
    You missed the point there bruv.

No, what i'm missing is anything to back up your claims that

"It's already been commented on by both doctor and Gardaí sources, so why do you think they are both mistaken?"

"Or you mean you won’t accept doctors or Gardaí statements on it?"

Any chance of you reproducing these "statements"??

• Advertisement

Yes, they will point to the Gardaí as being an organisation that is embedded in the culture of "whiteness" who responded in a way that would not have happened in African culture.
    They may even say that while there was not any overt racism shown, white people themselves carry an unconscious racial bias which causes them to deal with blacks differently.
    That if the guards had been more sensitive in reading the cues from his aberrant behaviour they could of known that he was showing signs of mental illness and responded to him differently.
    And they would argue that the Gardaí did have a choice. They heard the pleas from his sister and they could of allowed him to go into that house

We are not in Africa. We are in Ireland. Respect for different cultures should go both ways, and obeying Irish law, in Ireland, must take precedence over respect for any culture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Effects wrote: »
    Bit too long for you to read?
    Like I said, people tend to ignore what they don't want to believe.

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

One of the thing's that came out of this bad situation for me, is that as some one who always voted on the left i have lost all respect for most of the people who got my vote over this, just spouting racism on their social media trying to make a racial bandwagon out of a bad situation that could not have ended any other way (i seen the video its very clear). And not a peep about white people being attacked around blanch by mobs of Nigerian teens it's a disgrace. Quick to condemn the bad white man but silence on the bad black mobs never mind the knife wielding shop theif.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Lone Stone wrote: »
    One of the thing's that came out of this bad situation for me, is that as some one who always voted on the left i have lost all respect for most of the people who got my vote over this, just spouting racism on their social media trying to make a racial bandwagon out of a bad situation that could not have ended any other way (i seen the video its very clear). And not a peep about white people being attacked around blanch by mobs of Nigerian teens it's a disgrace. Quick to condemn the bad white man but silence on the bad black mobs never mind the knife wielding shop theif.

Social justice types simply view justice as a one way street, which is only applicable to groups that they like. To defend, or even highlight, those mentioned would mean tarnishing the name of George and his supporters in their eyes, so they'll never do it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Strumms wrote: »
    People arriving here need to conduct themselves in line with our laws. Their culture and laws have sway in their homelands, Culture and laws that they have hold no sway or influence here... nor should it ever.

People coming to this country as immigrants should be made sign a pledge to uphold our laws with the proviso that if they get a criminal conviction here they can be deported after appeal.
    People who already have criminal convictions in their own country of origin should not even be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Yes, they will point to the Gardaí as being an organisation that is embedded in the culture of "whiteness" who responded in a way that would not have happened in African culture.
    They may even say that while there was not any overt racism shown, white people themselves carry an unconscious racial bias which causes them to deal with blacks differently.
    That if the guards had been more sensitive in reading the cues from his aberrant behaviour they could of known that he was showing signs of mental illness and responded to him differently.
    And they would argue that the Gardaí did have a choice. They heard the pleas from his sister and they could of allowed him to go into that house

...what?
    "an unconscious racial bias which causes them to deal with blacks differently"

out of interest; do you think there would be a 7,000+ post thread here, if he was white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People coming to this country as immigrants should be made sign a pledge to uphold our laws with the proviso that if they get a criminal conviction here they can be deported after appeal.
    People who already have criminal convictions in their own country of origin should not even be considered.

That should be basic standard.
    But it's often second generation immigrants who become radicalized and have crazy demands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I agree, if they have a criminal conviction it’s no dice. Even robbing a loaf of bread.

The burden of proof is on the person to prove themselves as being a suitable person of good character to be allowed in here and avail of assistance. Can’t provide US with that, you are not coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Hold the f*cking phone, are you telling me this ISN'T actually a requirement?? How f*cking backwards is this country jesus christ. Let in All sorts of Toms, Dicks and Harrys, regardless of their criminal background. F*cking brilliant.. .. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm very encouraged that the black community (I know no community is a hivemind) overwhelmingly haven't supported the protesters/race baiters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

jaxxx wrote: »
    Hold the f*cking phone, are you telling me this ISN'T actually a requirement?? How f*cking backwards is this country jesus christ. Let in All sorts of Toms, Dicks and Harrys, regardless of their criminal background. F*cking brilliant.. .. ..

It's not always as simple as that.

If someone is a genuine asylum seeker, they aren't going to arrive here with sh1tloads of paperwork detailing that they have no criminal record etc. And it's very difficult to do a background check on someone from a remote village in Mozambique.

Another point would be that if they are fleeing a country where they would be killed (e.g. gay people in Zimbabwe), would you trust any info given to the Gardai here if they placed phone call to the local police back in Zimbabwe?

That said, I'm with you. If someone fcuks around, they should be fcuked out quick time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Social justice types simply view justice as a one way street, which is only applicable to groups that they like. To defend, or even highlight, those mentioned would mean tarnishing the name of George and his supporters in their eyes, so they'll never do it.
    The [insert oppressed group here] are always agentless victims, the [insert oppressor group here] are always to blame. This is the mantra of all identity politics groups you care to mention. In this case it's a Black African in the first category, a group of White men in authority in the second. That's top trumps right there.

For your identity politics types if the reverse happened; nothing to see here. If both parties are White; nothing to see here(like the Guard who shot the White kidnapper a few years back). If both parties are Black; most certainly nothing to see here, or if questions are raised it will inevitably turn out to be a case of the Black folks overreacted because of systemic societal racism. Plays out the same way all the time with the "social justice" identity politics mindset. Their lazy narrative always fits their lazy mantra.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wibbs wrote: »
    The [insert oppressed group here] are always agentless victims, the [insert oppressor group here] are always to blame. This is the mantra of all identity politics groups you care to mention. In this case it's a Black African in the first category, a group of White men in authority in the second. That's top trumps right there.

For your identity politics types if the reverse happened; nothing to see here. If both parties are White; nothing to see here(like the Guard who shot the White kidnapper a few years back). If both parties are Black; most certainly nothing to see here, or if questions are raised it will inevitably turn out to be a case of the Black folks overreacted because of systemic societal racism. Plays out the same way all the time with the "social justice" identity politics mindset. Their lazy narrative always fits their lazy mantra.

you didn't even need a variable for oppressor, white straight men are always to blame in those echo chambers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

https://youtu.be/pYZii77LYoc

06:50
    The Guards deserve to get everything that is coming to them!

The constant narrative from these demonstrations was George was innocent and was executed by the police, with the general implication solely because he was black. This is a dangerous narrative that appears to be going largely unchallenged directly by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Zatoichi wrote: »

The constant narrative from these demonstrations was George was innocent and was executed by the police, with the general implication solely because he was black. This is a dangerous narrative that appears to be going largely unchallenged directly by the media.

Impressionable fools, just following a movement they see on social media and tv .......lets be honest back in his home country he'd probably have been beaten to death by a mob, that's how justice is dealt in such countries and one of the many reasons they're over here in the first place .....corrupt police corrupt governing, how many people are killed by the police in African countries? no justice no peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What an utter cretin.

Do these people even realise that all they are doing is inciting violence?

Anyone who believes An Garda Síochána is institutionally racist is a fool.

nullzero wrote: »
    What an utter cretin.

Do these people even realise that all they are doing is inciting violence?

Anyone who believes An Garda Síochána is institutionally racist is a fool.

This is worrying from a policing perspective.
    Impressionable people will start to believe the Gardai are institutionally racist, they're gunning down innocent black men, and will see them as their enemy, a target, exacerbating already possibly strained relations.

Several politicians, the media and sundry fools have utterly failed in their duty to ensure the narrative has some regard to truth, not just jump on a bandwagon. They should be assuring the new Irish that the police aren't institutionally racist, that there is due process, that an investigation must be allowed run its course, that law and order are important to the fabric of our society.

I hope the PBPs, the Hozier types etc really suffer due to their reckles actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Well said. A few of us are saying that privately but afraid to publicly say it because we know we will be attacked with the inevitable false accusations of racism. It's a powerful weapon! No wonder some people keep using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

looking at the rest of his channel he appears to be some kind of Ugandan paramilitary warlord , what the freaking hell is he doing in blanchardstown ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

mynamejeff wrote: »
    looking at the rest of his channel he appears to be some kind of Ugandan paramilitary warlord , what the freaking hell is he doing in blanchardstown ?

Waiting for confirmation of his doctorate to come through so he can work as a surgeon??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement