Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Presumably by not watching the video which shows him lunging at people with a knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Statements made to GSOC and corroborated by the Gardaí that were also there.

Until you can show me facts to the contrary, the narrative that his sister did not intervene is false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭mountain

clearly the Gardaí, instead of dealing with the situation as it unfolded in front of them, and making decisions based on that,

Should have organised a poll on boards, and made there decisions on that….

the guy had a knife, refused continually to drop it, pepper spray, and taser had no effect, so Garda resorted to their last option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Maybe he was just lunging tryna lob the gob like an overexcited 11 year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭suvigirl

He didn't have to, he was armed with a weapon capable of killing someone. He had to be stopped. And he was.

What are your feelings on other deaths by Garda shootings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How is this thread still open?

You will have to define what you understand by "intervene".

The narrative that you are trying to imply, which is that the family came out and calmed him down before the Gardai pushed them back inside, is what appears to be without basis.

Now, to be absolutely clear, I am not blaming them in any way shape or form for what happened. The only person ultimately responsible was the tragic deceased.

Well if you regularly have 11 year olds lunging at you, trying to "lob the gob", you might not want to be admitting that on boards.

Again I never suggested anyone tried to calm him down I wasn't there. That was your interpretation.

According to his sisters statement to GSOC she opened the door to him and told the guards he was suffering from mental health problems. She very much tried to intervene.

I have already posted the quotes twice.

Hattrick

Mr Nkencho's sister, Gloria Nkencho, will tell Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc) investigators that her brother knocked on the door and she answered.

Ms Nkencho will tell investigators gardaí had surrounded her brother by this stage and that she asked them to leave him alone and said he had mental health issues.

The sister was then ushered back inside the house by gardaí and the door was closed over but not shut. The deceased’s three siblings were in the hallway when the shots were fired.

To be honest I don't really see how you are struggling with this, it's hardly a mad concept to try get your head around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

There was a recent story over in the US where some outlets framed it as "Kid holding gardening tool shot by cops".

The actual video showed the truth of the matter, a teenager aggressively charged at a cop with a full sized sharp gardening tool and was shot.

Still, the amount of comments around it - why didn't he talk him down? Why didn't he overpower the teenager? Why didn't he shoot his leg? There was even some claims that the cop signed up for danger so he should have just taken his chances rather than fire his weapon, and others that he was racist simply because the kid was black.

There seems to be a large degree of that nonsense imported here and I can't for the life of me understand why. I'm not going to name names but there's a few actors working hard to make out that Ireland is the same as the US and we have an issue with systemic racism (versus racist incidents).

If George Nkencho was white would there be even so much as a fraction as much of this discourse? Who was the last person Gardaí shot dead, Mark Hennessy? I don't remember so much of a peep about that being a bad or unnecessary shooting and I don't think he even threatened Gardaí directly with the knife nor did the confrontation last more than a few minutes. I'm not talking about the crime he committed, because a fatal shooting is either acceptable or not based on the there and then.

George Nkencho, mental health issue or not, went on a rampage, violently assaulted someone, threatened people, had a dangerous weapon, refused every chance given to him over an incredibly long period of time, non-lethal means proved ineffective, and was eventually shot after he made a move to attack Gardaí with the knife.

Now I'm not commenting on George Nkencho. I don't know his medical history, and I'm not passing judgement on him as a person. But the idea that he was "murdered", or a victim of racism, brutality, police incompetence, or any other of that errant nonsense is an absolute farce to my mind.

• Advertisement

Again I never suggested anyone tried to calm him down I wasn't there. That was your interpretation.

No. I said that that his family - quite wisely IMO - did not come out to calm him down. You took issue with that and said it wasn't true.

Don't forget that the Gardai were also responsible for protecting the family too.

You can post what you like. And interpret written statements how you like. You've admitted to not watching the actual video evidence. I don't see the point in you arguing blindly against people who actually have seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The issue is that the people putting these arguments forward are the real racists themselves.

They're not examining the incident on its merits, all they can see is skin colour.

They project their own racism onto anyone who dares to look at the situation without the lens of skin colour being an issue.

Nope. This is what you said.

His own family - rather than coming out to calm him down - knew (probably wisely) not to go near him.

His sister answered the door to him and tried to intervene with the Guards.

I have absolutely no idea what video you are referring but unless it shows that interaction I have no idea what you are arguing about.

The narrative on this thread that his family were too terrified so they stayed in the house is false, that is an actual fact. Correct?

What are you on about???? Seriously?

This is what you say is now taking issue with? Me saying that:

No. I said that that his family - quite wisely IMO - did not come out to calm him down. You took issue with that and said it wasn't true.

and the quote you use to "disprove" this was:

His own family - rather than coming out to calm him down - knew (probably wisely) not to go near him.

What are you arguing over here.

The rest of your post is logically:

You: "I conjured up this mental picture of what happened based on my particular interpretation of a written statement"

Me: "Well you can see the video and realise that your interpretation might not be accurate"

You: "Well I don't know this video. And unless it show what I imagined from the written statement, I don't want to see it as it is irrelevant"

There is no evidence that the family did not stay in the house. There is a statement to the effect that one of them opened the door and told Gardai the deceased had mental issues. There is footage. None of it shows any of the family outside. Just look at it. I'm tempted to post the Fr. Ted gif of Dougal mixing up imagination and reality and only refrain from doing so as I don't want to appear to be making light of the tragedy

Again his sister answered the door to him.

That is a fact.

Just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

Not sure why it's so hard for people to accept that his sister answered the door to him.

Get your head out of the sand and look at the video rather than imagining things.

I'm not wasting any more time arguing with you on this.

What is your point here of arguing blindly with your head in the sand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Can you post the link to this narrative please?

And rather than 'will' tell the investigators that they actually did, and that it was accepted by the Gardaí.

Thanks.

I'm not wasting any more time arguing with you on this. But I will help you one last time and point out that nowhere in the statement does it indicate the sister opened the door to him. That is your imagination.

Mr Nkencho's sister, Gloria Nkencho, will tell Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc) investigators that her brother knocked on the door and she answered.

🙄

It's boards, outright denying of facts to paint ones narrative is par for the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

to be clear; his sister says she answered the door to him.

That does not make it irrefutably true

Post the full thing

Ms Nkencho will tell investigators gardaí had surrounded her brother by this stage and that she asked them to leave him alone and said he had mental health issues.

Someone is either surrounded or they are not. Either they are standing on your step or they are not.

I am not engaging with you any more as you are being both dishonest and sticking your head in the sand. Video is there. Watch it.

Dishonest? You are the one ninja editing posts. Tut Tut. Not quick enough though. 😂

Have a good one. 🤟

There is an article which claims that the sister will say that she opened the door after the Gardai had surrounded him. There is no video footage of him either being surrounded, or of him standing outside the door with it open.

There is video footage of him "not trying to kill anyone" by lunging at gardai with a knife

It's fine. I think you have embarrassed yourself enough for one day.

Bye

Her statement to GSOC was confirmed by the Gardaí that were present.

Again, it's hardly a mad notion, but it is extremely strange people are getting so upset about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

It doesn't really matter if his sister answered the door or that his family was not terrified of him, the armed gardai weren't there to ascertain any of that, they were there to stop and arrest an armed man, using lethal force if necessary. And lethal force was necessary.

The fact that his family is now trying to rewrite the history and make some money out of his death is a completely different issue.

The fact that his family is now trying to rewrite the history

In what way have they tried to rewrite history, I assume you are accusing them of lying?

Could you please give examples with citation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are reasons to say George should have been stopped prior to the House and being in a position to kill his family.

His mental health may explain why George did as he did but it didn't mean that he was less of a lethal threat to his family, members of that working class community or Guards, it didn't change what they had to do for the common good.

The moment he attacked with a knife and tried to stab the Guard he had to be stopped in an instant.

Maybe the sister regrets not letting him in but what would that have changed, there would only be different Nkencho deaths and no potential payday. Pity he didn't have more of a value to them in life. I wonder had that a lot to do with his illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I just can’t understood the physics of knocking on a door, thus being immediately adjacent to it, but by the time it’s answered you’re surrounded by Gardai, especially when the Gardai were keeping their distance.

How can that be possible?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement