Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

walshb wrote: »
    Are you saying that they shouldn't have shot him?

No , could have being dealt with without killing him , unless there was a direct and immediate threat to someone's else life then no

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Only out and out troublemakers and idiots and ignoramuses will bring color into this...

• imagine being so out of touch you actually would sit on boards and talk about what the Garda should have done - as if he had anything but milliseconds to make a decision.

Jesus help me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gatling wrote: »
    No , could have being dealt with without killing him , unless there was a direct and immediate threat to someone's else life then no

There was.
    He was trying to stab them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭obi604

Any news on the shopkeeper? Is he ok.

• Advertisement

Accounts so far are that he was a threat to them...

They acted......

I don't think they wanted to kill the man....but, he left them no choice but to act...

Anyway, hopefully a thorough investigation will reveal...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There was.

There is better ways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭obi604

Are you living in cloud cuckoo land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Neeson wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1344318165308874752

Was about to stab a Garda so all should be OK.
    There is better ways

Take a look at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Having seen the video I'd imagine the lad was on some amount of drugs. Gardai supposedly tasered him and it took near 5 shots to get him down.

Bizarre incident. Just glad no Gardai were hurt, and I hope the shop keeper recovers.

Twitter warning (large lump of salt required): He was strung out on crack hence the attempt to rob shop to get cash for more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

There was.

• Gatling wrote: »
    There is better ways

And there’s no time to weigh up all the pros and cons of action when you have a few seconds to act.

There’s only two ways this could’ve gone no matter how much someone does or doesn’t like it; the Garda made the shot or the Garda was stabbed.

Are the armed response trained to a level where they pick a spot and can shoot that spot?

You haven't a notion what you're talking about.

No police force, anywhere in the world, is trained to 'shoot a hand' :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is better ways

They couldn’t get close enough to hug him to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm a fierce supporter of BLM but this is not a case of a black man was shot for being black.

And nor were any of the icons of BLM "shot for being black."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is better ways

Perhaps they could have calmed him down by singing a lullaby to him?

• You haven't a notion what you're talking about.

No police force, anywhere in the world, is trained to 'shoot a hand' :pac::pac::pac:

Not least of all because a bullet will travel through a hand and probably hit someone else. Really does amaze me how out of reality some are. Watch some CSI Miami and they’re experts in firearms. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

And to address the other questions about tasers and pepper spray -

Again, you guys need to start realising the difference between a film and real life. Yeah sure enough criminal minds or something you see the taser comes out and the lads down foaming at the mouth and all the fbi and police are high fiving and celebrating another criminal off the streets, or pepper spray same idea images of your man rolling around clawing his eyes out.

Thing is in real life this isn’t how it always goes down. If your man was off his head on coke for example a taser and pepper spray could amount to nothing but more aggressive behaviour, he had a deadly weapon, the Garda responded with a deadly weapon. He tried to stab a Garda he deserved to get shot, simple as that.

George floyd was not resisting his arrest and his only capital crime was pleading for the cop to loosen the pressure on his neck and screaming and crying for his mama. He didn’t deserve to die. This clown allegedly stabbed a shop owner or manager and swung a knife at guards, if that’s what actually happened and the evidence and reports point to it without much doubt, then he absolutely deserved the bullet.

Now, to address once more why the Garda didn’t aim for the leg or arm, that’s simple - when being trained to handle firearms you are specifically trained NEVER to shoot the limbs or head because the bullet can either miss OR completely pass through the target and possibly hit someone else rendering a suspect wounded (and even potentially still able to attack) and possibly someone else dead or wounded also.

When they discharge their weapon, it’s to protect themselves and those around them, you’re job at that point is not to protect the criminal charging you with a knife. Shooting him in the arm and all the police piling in for the arrest is again, Hollywood crap, it’s not how real policing works.

Think about how often you hear of someone being shot by gardai over here before you start accusing them of being too trigger happy or mad to kill folks just for the sake of it.

The Garda who pulled the trigger is going to spend the rest of his life remembering what he’s done, he will carry the guilt of taking another life to his grave. You never get over it, you could kill 1000 criminals and they’ll still feel bad. Whatever he was he had a potential for a good life going forward if he chose to, however he made a conscious choice to attack gardai with a knife and is now dead.

The same fcuking clowns who defend this lad would be lamenting the gardai if they had shot him in the limbs and he kept going and attacked another person before being subdued. Real easy to sit here and say how they should’ve handled it, any of ye would’ve píssed your bloody pants at the sight of someone charging you with a knife.

As you know your stuff, why were they all so close to the suspect if he had a knife, they were close enough for the man to lunged at them.

What sort of tazer do the guards use, pound shop ones?

Bodycams are need in the guards like 10 years ago.
    You haven't a notion what you're talking about.

Never said I did, at least another poster explained why it's only mass they shoot at.

I don't care about the world's police forces, only our own.

Beltby wrote: »
    Take a look at that.

Looks to me to be an out of control maniac, willing to kill...

Thank god no innocent person has lost life here...

• Bonniedog wrote: »
    And nor were any of the icons of BLM "shot for being black."

Is that right? Remind me what George floyd did to deserve his death? What about Breonna Taylor? What did she do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There was a very clear and direct threat to multiple lives.

He made an incredible effort to kill multiple Guards with his machete despite being tasered, pepper sprayed and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

.anon. wrote: »
    Always willing to step up and defend them, aren't you? Pathetic stuff.

What's pathethic. Defend who? What did I say and who did I defend. Go on, elaborate if you can.

Also noticed you didn't answer the very direct question put to you. Typical.

The Garda who pulled the trigger is going to spend the rest of his life remembering what he’s done, he will carry the guilt of taking another life to his grave.

Hopefully not. Sounds like he did a lot of decent people a big favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

As you know your stuff, why were they all so close to the suspect if he had a knife, they were close enough for the man to lunged at them.

Tazers are never 100% effective as both barbs have to make contact with skin to complete the circuit and deliver the shock. That's not the fault of the user, that's the way it's designed.

ASU and ERU already have bodycams.

• As you know your stuff, why were they all so close to the suspect if he had a knife, they were close enough for the man to lunged at them.

I don’t know I wasn’t there, that’s a formation the Gardai would’ve decided upon arrival or at some stage during the stand off. You’d have to ask them why they’re so close, I’m sure there’s a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Shouldn't have shot him dead ,no doubt we'll see demands for a full public enquiry as usual in theses cases ,

Where you there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they had already pepper-sprayed him and tasered him. He was lunging at a cop with a knife when they shot him. I would consider that a direct and immediate threat to like, would you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Judging by the way the Gardai scattered it looks like he came out swinging the knife, if that's the case then it's hard to think how else they could have handled it except using their weapons to protect their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I don't know why the Gardai didn't attempt a non lethal shot, ie, to his leg or something. I'm a fierce supporter of BLM but this is not a case of a black man was shot for being black. This is a black man stabbed a civilian and then attempted to stab members of The Gardai. He was pepper sprayed and tased as well. The only question I have is to the killing of him. Black, White or Asian I don't think shooting someone dead is ever a good outcome
    They should keep a couple of hurley sticks in the back of the car and then a hape of them could just have ludered him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There was.

Uness he's a damn good throw on hm, no he wasn't.

I'd be curious to know the background to this: has he a criminal record? History of mental illness? Or is it indeed just a case of one less scumbag?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement