Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A lot of people will personally benefit by making this a race issue and stoking racial unrest;

Self described "anti racist" (read racebaiter) politicians

Full on racist academics peddling division and victimhood narratives

NGO/Quango snake oil types who claim giving them money will tackle racism

Private individuals who think that promoting a racist narrative will give them social power

Yep.

My only hope for sanity is that if the Twitter sh1te on this incident spills over ever more into real life then the public can easily decipher what is happening and why.

And that goes for lots of the vocal posters on here who promote illogical, seriously divisive crap which purports to solve racism with racism, I hope they have woken up and seen what and who is behind the easy slogans and mantras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

walshb wrote: »
    Incitement to hatred this....stirring division and encouraging anarchy.....

Anyone in positions of influence trying to undermine the Gardai are encouraging anarchy.....

If thst was a member of SF doing that Varadkar would be first out the blocks condemning them.

Undermining the security forces of the state is a dangerous road to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Wibbs wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that. This isn't Hollywood.

1) far more risk of missing the assailant.

2) far more risk of hitting an innocent bystander

3) harder to hit a much smaller target in a rapidly moving escalation.

4) less likely to stop the assailant

5) being shot in the leg if it hits the femoral artery is as likely to result in death as a belly shot

So police are trained to aim for the largest part of the body, the torso.

People think shooting a leg is innocent and it'll drop the assailant. Just as easy to hit a main artery on the leg than a heart shot. Plenty have been hit in the leg and died from blood loss.
    Justified shot imo. Man couldve killed others.
    Apparently there's loads outside blanch garda Station threatening the garda over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fair enough and I won’t lie - any knowledge does indeed come from the movies (like 95% around here)...,

I just thought maybe shooting him in the leg would be a possibility/disarm him?

Google femural arteries, if the gardai did shoot him in the leg (and if you miss the bullet is ricocheting who knows where) and you puncture that artery, he's very very likely to bleed out in the slowest most painful way.

Shooting centre mass (not necessarily the heart) not only gives you more chance of neutralising the target, it also gives you more chance of saving them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Witcher wrote: »
    He was shot several times straight to the chest and was still standing, what do you think a shot to the leg is going to do?

I didn’t know that and hence I am asking questions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭jackboy

sasta le wrote: »

In fairness some of the protesters were trying to get in but were being stopped by other protesters. Emotions are high (due to being stoked up on social media) so at the moment this protest seems to be a minor thing which should fizzle out. People are being incited though. Very strange to see that a lot of the incitement is coming from white Irish politicians. It’s all very strange.

Don’t know much about these things but could they not have shot him in the leg? Maybe it doesn’t work like that?

I don't think we know the full list of measures they took yet, in what order etc. They did apparently taser him but that didn't work. Also a bulletin in the leg (or anywhere) can kill rapidly if it hits an artery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

begbysback wrote: »
    Ahh well, Telly has explained everything, left in no doubts now why a man lost his life, what’s the point in gsoc when we have Telly

More reasonable take than a lot of public representatives anyway. Telly for Lord Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Omackeral wrote: »
    Really kicking off at Blanch Garda Station with them all charging at the doors. Got it on WhatsApp. At the least, it's going to give the virus a great shot in the arm.

If true then it's an attempt to get the public order unit out so that they can then tweet videos alleging more Garda racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

People think shooting a leg is innocent and it'll drop the assailant. Just as easy to hit a main artery on the leg than a heart shot. Plenty have been hit in the leg and died from blood loss.
    Justified shot imo. Man couldve killed others.
    Apparently there's loads outside blanch garda Station threatening the garda over this.

yep - https://www.independent.ie/news/justice-for-george-chanted-by-protesters-after-garda-shooting-39917615.html

If what's been posted is true then yes 100% justified shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

smurgen wrote: »
    Well I'm hearing he might have had a psychotic break. Now I am not a psychologist and I know people on such breaks vary in severity but it could colour the situation for me. Not to say that the Gardai were wrong but to say that some of the reporting around it using words like thug might be unhelpful.

Would one not almost presume that people who engage in ultra violence are generally having some form of psychotic break? And how can that presumption really change an outcome? Alan Hawe? Mark Hennessy? Stephen Silver? Gardai are not charged or equipped to be mobile psychiatric units or provide emergency mental health care. They have to respond in the moment to the physical reality unfolding.
    If one resists non-fatal methods of de-escalating and lunges wildly at an armed police officer with a machete it is hard to see it going any other way. The gardai have said they took the decision based on perceiving an imminent threat to life. As they have done in other cases where they have (thankfully rarely) shot people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was attacked with a machete by a family member around Xmas time 4/5 years ago. It’s not a nice experience.

Jesus, that must have been awful. Hope your injuries weren’t too serious

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd a browse over on Twitter, yikes.

In a supportive Tweet to a Hazel Chu post (whatever business she has in sticking her nose into it) some middle aged Irish guy said the Gardaí should have shot the knife.

That's the level folks, that's the ****ing level.

#shoottheknife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

jackboy wrote: »
    In fairness some of the protesters were trying to get in but were being stopped by other protesters. Emotions are high (due to being stoked up on social media) so at the moment this protest seems to be a minor thing which should fizzle out. People are being incited though. Very strange to see that a lot of the incitement is coming from white Irish politicians. It’s all very strange.

The white Irish politicians as you say, are all left wing, shameless individuals, who are stirring this up through tweets for political gain. It's disgusting, and sad that they feel the need to stoke division. Don't vote left folks, stay in the middle, they are not going to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well I'm hearing he might have had a psychotic break. Now I am not a psychologist and I know people on such breaks vary in severity but it could colour the situation for me. Not to say that the Gardai were wrong but to say that some of the reporting around it using words like thug might be unhelpful.

He may have had a psychotic break, that's true. I can only assume that the circumstances surrounding the whole situation will be investigated during the inevitable enquiry.

But given that it was allowed to escalate to the point that it did, the whole mental illness angle ceases to be as important as whether it was right for the Gards to shoot at the time that they did, because that's when it's potential life or death. Whether the deceased had had enough love as a child, or had a potassium imbalance means little when it all comes to a head, and that's why preventative measures and early intervention can save lives when it comes to someone with a disordered mind.

jackboy wrote: »

It's not strange at all. This is the moment Murphy, Coppinger, Etc... have been waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I don't think we know the full list of measures they took yet, in what order etc. They did apparently taser him but that didn't work. Also a bulletin in the leg (or anywhere) can kill rapidly if it hits an artery.

Cool - as I said like most citizens I wouldn’t know much about these things...

Example - I thought a taser always knocked someone out....Apparently it doesn’t....Can’t believe he was shot a few times and still kept swinging - I thought that was more movie type stuff...Haven’t seen video...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

NIMAN wrote: »
    Didn't hear the deceased has done this.
    This guy needs to come out and show his injuries when he is able to, to show what this thug done.

By doing that he’d be putting a target on himself for George’s friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The road is closed at the police station at Blanch as well. So there must be a lot there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Leafyellow111

sasta le wrote: »

There is a comment on that video about 16 seconds in saying "together we strong". That pretty much tells you all you need to know.
    https://m.facebook.com/TheLiberal.ie/videos/871521223663542/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php&_rdr

• Advertisement

He's a history of violence. I guess all those incidents where psychotic? Some people are just bad end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Folks where ever you see these Race Hustlers in action, call them out for what they are - RACISTS.

If your go to answer for everything is "racism", you're the racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I get sad thinking about the world of tomorrow. I only see more negativity, more polarization , more exploitation etc. Twitter is terrible because you have the worst kind of people; people with no love, no compassion, no empathy who just jump on the new cause of the week and then once the ****show subsides, it's over. True compassion would be to understand the action of the Garda but also understand that this man was also someone's brother, son, husband, etc.

Ah no, the world of tomorrow will be like a benneton ad. Everyone getting on. Politicians know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

humberklog wrote: »
    I'd a browse over on Twitter, yikes.

In a supportive Tweet to a Hazel Chu post (whatever business she has in sticking her nose into it) some middle aged Irish guy said the Gardaí should have shot the knife.

That's the level folks, that's the ****ing level.

#shoottheknife

Sure they should have shot the chain of the hanging basket on the wall. This would have caused the basket to hit him on the head, and the surprise would have caused him to drop the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful that. Speechless stupidity

What's scary to me is facts don't matter in this World. These people don't care he smashed a shop keepers nose and teeth in was crazily armed with a huge dangerous weapon and was sprayed and tasered and was waving said weapon maniacally and with intent are Gardai. ANYONE would have been shot in that situation but sadly in todays vacuous World facts don't matter. Not one bit.

He's a black man who died and will will make a martyr out of him disregarding all facts seems to be their mantra. I'm telling you these people don't see right and wrong facts and what happened all they see is black and white. Everything will be perceived to be racist even things blatantly not; like this.

PS- I'm sure Ruth Coppinger and Paul Murphy make a appearance at some stage at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There is a comment on that video about 16 seconds in saying "together we strong". That pretty much tells you all you need to know.
    https://m.facebook.com/TheLiberal.ie/videos/871521223663542/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php&_rdr

"old ppl go home" another one whatever thats about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I didn’t know that and hence I am asking questions..
    Hollywood and the telly have a lot to answer for IG. Drama makes out a) how easy it is to be very accurate with pistol fire and b) that being shot makes someone drop instantly, or even more inaccurately fly backwards. Unless you hit the brain, spine or a joint with a round you stay standing. Even a heart shot would leave someone conscious for a few seconds. Shock and bloodloss is what takes someone down, or the psychological realisation that you've been shot. Someone wound up on adrenaline can take a remarkable number of rounds to the body before they go down. One reason tasers became popular was when they work they'll often drop people quicker than bullets. US police found this to be particularly the case with people high on stimulant drugs, where some could take multiple rounds to the torso and keep going, but the taser would stop them by instantly scrambling the voluntary nervous system.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Tzardine wrote: »
    Sure they should have shot the chain of the hanging basket on the wall. This would have caused the basket to hit him on the head, and the surprise would have caused him to drop the knife.

These people clearly have no understanding of how a gun works , thankfully...

• The thing is this isn’t America where there is an even enough split in many parts, this crowd will only really get sympathy in their immediate neighbourhood, won’t go beyond that thankfully.

This also isn’t the equivalence to George floyd these clowns are desperate to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

chap still lunging with the knife while being shot...

I pity the poor gardai that are going to have to sit through hours of interviews to justify defending themselves and the public from that scrote.

The poor garda will have a claim in for stress related illness and early retirement (On full pay) in the future. He will be grand !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement