Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Omackeral wrote: »
    Puts them in a bind really as the perp was a black youth and her lot aren't their biggest fans.

True, I imagine they'll kick up some form of fuss due to the Garda being involved and then being anti anything government related.

Seemingly Twitter is already rife with it, BLM protests outside blanch Garda station as well.

I see nothing wrong with what happened personally, they didn't just rock up and shoot him. They tried other methods first and shot him as a last resort.

Not least of all because a bullet will travel through a hand and probably hit someone else. Really does amaze me how out of reality some are. Watch some CSI Miami and they’re experts in firearms. :pac:

Can picture a Guard hiding across the road, aiming his gun at a car wing mirror, shooting and watching the bullet ricochet off the mirror, bouncing off a tree, rebounding off the neighbours wall, and then hitting the knife in yer mans hand, knocking it to the ground. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Beltby wrote: »
    Take a look at that.

As I said there are better ways of dealing with situations like that

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t know I wasn’t there, that’s a formation the Gardai would’ve decided upon arrival or at some stage during the stand off. You’d have to ask them why they’re so close, I’m sure there’s a good reason.

Because at some stage they have to be close...

How else do these things get resolved?

If the chap was not cooperating and was becoming a real threat to life, then some close contact will have to happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I thought OP was joking with the George Floyd comment after seeing the videos, he is obviously attacking the police and it seems less lethal attempts were unsuccessful.

But then I went on twitter and the woke pronoun brigade are absolutely creaming themselves with delight at the chance to pretend we are America while having a masturbation contest to see who can be the most woke and get the most retweets and attention. They are actually saying it is like George Floyd. Some are basically arguing that he should have just been left alone as he was going home - if he went home and butchered his family they would all be saying the Gardaí didn't care enough to protect the family and him because he was black. Can't win.

I say this as someone who does not have much time at all for the Gardaí. There was a massive issue with the Gardaí in times previous where they stitched people up and beat confessions out of them - the victims were all white. Nowadays the main problem with the Gardaí is that they aren't arsed* helping people try and deal with low level crime. They aren't racist, in fact the evidence would point towards them being afraid of dealing with African gangs least they be accused of it.

The very last thing a detective wants to do is fire his gun, its a massive deal in any circumstance. This will be that officers worst nightmare because he will be made out to be racist.

*not all their fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gatling wrote: »

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The cops should gave been armed with flat top AR15s, not puny little 9mm's

Would have put that dirtbag down a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Bambi wrote: »
    Won't happen, the keening and whinging for the bould George was grand cos he was in the states, some knackbag trying to stab a Garda will make the virtue signallers a lot more reticient

Maybe the Shinners will paint a mural for the knackbag. :o

In one Bambi old chap.

• walshb wrote: »
    Because at some stage they have to be close...

How else do these things get resolved?

If the chap was not cooperating and was becoming a real threat to life, then some close contact will have to happen...

Yeah, I did say “I don’t know, I wasn’t there”. I was asked a direct question and I can’t answer it I can only guess, however I’m sure the poster who asked the question can guess for themselves, so I replied honestly.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Lets Dance

There is better ways

'I know better than the police who trained to deal with these situations'.

Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

All the new Irish having a field day on social media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

There is better ways

They rang Dr Phil to negotiate but he was in the leaba

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In an ideal world probably but in the real one..

Not everything can be handled like a snooty staff member at the golf club house Prunella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Could you elaborate please? Could you suggest a better way of dealing with a violent adult male coming at you with a knife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

sasta le wrote: »

Link?

• Actually this close to unfollowing the thread, how there’s so many people who think they know the right way for a Garda to do their job in a situation like this is beyond me.

YEAH HE COULD HAVE DONE [insert idea]

Here’s the facts though, if he didn’t respond, he could’ve died. That’s the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any word from Dr. Joseph?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lets Dance wrote: »
    'I know better than the police who trained to

Where did I say that exactly .

Could have been dealt with better, I don't need anyone to agree or disagree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Could be being dealt with better I don't need anyone to agree or disagree

how could it have been dealt with better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is that right? Remind me what George floyd did to deserve his death? What about Breonna Taylor? What did she do?

So you think Breonna Taylor was shot/killed because she was black? Are you familiar with the case?

She was killed due to a tragic fcuk up/clusterfcuk/accident/ terrible police procedure/intelligence failure.

I mean her black boyfriend who was firing at the cops wasn't shot.

It is a terrible tragedy tho, she was a completely innocent woman

• Advertisement

Could have been dealt with better, I don't need anyone to agree or disagree with me

Do elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Uness he's a damn good throw on hm, no he wasn't.

I'd be curious to know the background to this: has he a criminal record? History of mental illness? Or is it indeed just a case of one less scumbag?

He was. You can see the Garda scattering when he attacked them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

Attacker was lunging at extremely close quarters with a knife from the vid. Garda had very few options but to open fire I'd say. Sad end to a life and I'm sure the officer will live with the incident for a long time. No winners here.

Go on then, tell us how it should have been handled better?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If a guy is running at armed police with a knife, why not shot him in the legs or knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any word from Dr. Joseph?

Yes, of course.

''The officers could have tasered him. Why was that not the next step to deescalating the situation?

Please, 2020 has taken enough, let’s not add to it. Please, please, please''

Eh, they did taser him. Educate yourself there, Doc.

Let them whinge, the vast majority of Irish people will support the guards on this.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If a guy is running at armed police with a knife, why not shot him in the legs or knees?

Because it's not Hollywood?

When shall we expect to hear from Dr Ebun Joseph about the terrible racist Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Yes, the man swinging the knife at Gardaí, who kept going after non lethal force was used, who kept going after being shot, who lunged at a garda with a knife, he could have dealt with it better to avoid the outcome.

He robbed a shop, didn't drop a knife, lunged with same, repeated his behavior several times. I fail to see the "ah lads leave him at it" aspect.

Could have been dealt with better you say. How? Pepperspray? A taser? Oh wait, they were used. Sorry in your computerised model there that it failed to account for the man kept going and was within inches of stabbing a guard.

Unarmed Gardaí arrived. He threatened them. Non lethal force was used. A taser and pepperspray. He was then shot, still no let up in him, went to stab, shot again. Dead. What there, would you have done better?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement