Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A quote from one of the protestors outside the Garda station:

Protestor Timmy Ogu said he worries for his safety and his young son who is in college. He said he doesn’t feel safe in Ireland and now has to “look out for” himself.

Language like that only adds fuel to the fire.
    If he or his son act like every other member of the public and don't charge at the Gardai with a machete, they should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,471 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gruffalux wrote: »
    In fairness it's a really bad tweet...''who lost so much at the nads of the AGS'.. Though she is only following the Minister for Justice and the Lord Mayor of Dublin.

https://twitter.com/bridsmithTD/status/1344654648834207744?s=20

Disgusting person to tweet that

Another enemy of the people, and another one inciting hate, division and violence

If people are hurt here, or worse, it is the likes of this that has caused it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Lol

You killed my brother.
    That’s a shutter love.

https://streamable.com/310bbb

Why are they attacking the shop? The poor staff, I'd genuinely be worried to be working there. Your colleague gets attacked by a nutter and sent to the hospital, everyone gets threatened by him with a big knife, and then a mob shows up to attack the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Lol

You killed my brother.
    That’s a shutter love.

The poor people who work there. As if yesterday was traumatic enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Getting sent a lot of videos. The gang were causing murder in the shopping centre. Keying cars etc.There are a lot of people in blanch that won't tolerate this.

Younger brother lives in the area. Vigilante groups are being setup to tackle the protestors.

There is a big sh1t storm coming.

• Advertisement

IThough she is only following the Minister for Justice and the Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Minister for Justice? What did McEntee say/do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought Boyd Barrett would have been all over this but not a peep out of him on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I agree with you. But I'm just getting why they are using this event to protest. Probably don't have perspective, don't feel immersed in the country they live in, feel like victims because they've allowed a narrative of injustice to corrupt their mind. From the videos above, I've seen two white people, the rest are African.

You’d want your head examined to join that crowd with a white skin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

https://mobile.twitter.com/BluntMan____/status/1344655951249498115

Blanchardstown shopping centre from today accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Lol

You killed my brother.
    That’s a shutter love.

Pass that onto the guards in Blanch.
    A few should be recognisable there and that is intimidation which has caused a shop to close it's shutters thereby denying the local community an essential service during a pandemic lockdown.

Neverminmd the fact these ar*eholes are actually intimidating the victims of a violent thug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Right....

So they attack the very Spar that he robbed.

These people are pretty thick. Not some of our brightest.

They aren’t ours. They just live here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

It's unsettling to consider that the path of least resistance for our society would be to just allow this guy to run wild with a knife and we throw out a few platitudes to his victims and then get back to our own lives. He was mentally ill. It's a tragedy. That kind of thing shouldn't happen here. Thoughts and prayers. What's on TV tonight?

The truth is if this guy had managed to kill the worker in the store and one of the Guards before being subdued and arrested you'd have a lot of people worried that "The Far Right" would use the incident to push their agenda. Most folk would just say "oh that's a terrible event" and get on with their day. No protests. No social media outrage. The families of the victims would be left to deal with it basically.

That's all theoretical of course.

What we do know is that this guy was killed and we have this manufactured outrage to deal with. As if he was just an innocent guy going about his business and the Guards killed him randomly for no reason.

I'm not saying these folks wouldn't have cared if the guy had stabbed a shop assistant and a police officer to death.
    I'm saying they wouldn't have cared enough to think "OK something needs to be done about this." They wouldn't have cared enough to attend a "protest" or to stoke up outrage on social media.

It gets to the point where people can wander our communities brandishing knives, potentially stabbing our loved ones, and if the authorities come in and forcefully put an end to that situation then knife-wielding person is held up as some kind of tragic figure.

On a personal level I'd much rather hear "a mentally ill individual was about to kill your spouse but we killed him first" than "sorry your spouse was murdered but our hands were tied and we couldn't stop it".
    The way society has gone though it seems like it's actually a lot less bother for the latter to take place as it means we don't have to deal with social unrest.

The Guards shot this man and killed him and the way it gets treated is like "this could happen to any of us".
    That's not true though since most of us wouldn't really be bringing our trusty knife down to the local shop intending to either get some free swag or to seriously harm the staff there.

If anything the vast majority of us would be far more likely to be on the receiving end of the knife than to be the one wandering the streets brandishing a weapon.

If the Guards step in and protect us there's a large section of society that is outraged at the Guards.
    Yet, if we end up stabbed to death on a random Wednesday afternoon nobody would really care that much outside of a quick "that's terrible" and maybe a thought or a prayer if we're really lucky.

There were 55 homicides in Ireland in 2019.
    Not many people clamoring to "say their names".

The Guards stop a potential killer in their tracks?
    Better get down the station for a protest! Say his name!

Do people just not care because statistically it's very unlikely to happen to them or their family?

I don't see what anyone individually stands to gain from being outraged about this?
    I don't see what we, as a society, stand to gain from being outraged when the community is protected from a dangerous individual?
    Is it preferable to just let this guy have his way, feel bad for his victims and their families for a day and then move on?

Look how far we are willing to go to protect our communities from COVID-19.
    Some guy running around with a knife though? Now, now, let's not be too hasty there. Maybe we could throw a net over him or just shoot the knife out of his hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

both sides wanted this. .

what "both sides"?

the only violence at any other protest this years was when the same leftie scum who are out in blanch with the gangs attacked peaceful protestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Tzardine wrote: »
    Getting sent a lot of videos. The gang were causing murder in the shopping centre. Keying cars etc.There are a lot of people in blanch that won't tolerate this.

Younger brother lives in the area. Vigilante groups are being setup to tackle the protestors.

There is a big sh1t storm coming.

They're are in their bollox.
    The placid Irish wont do a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why are the guards not protecting that mans business?

What is he paying all those taxes for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Who’ll pay the mortgage now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why does it even need saying that this case bears no resemblance to the murder of George Floyd? That was a sadistic, sustained murder over 8 minutes, by a horrible individual with a history of racism (and his colleagues were complicit).

This was a violent criminal on the loose on the streets of Dublin, armed with a large knife who ignored police requests to drop the weapon. Mental health is not relevant when you are an immediate danger to everyone around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hazel Chu and Lynn Ruane have doubled down on their opinions.

Lynn Ruane has told us to kiss her arse on twitter.

Elected officials.

In fairness it's a really bad tweet...''who lost so much at the nads of the AGS'.. Though she is only following the Minister for Justice and the Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Paul Donnelly local TD, is another who tweeted sympathy for the dead man, but I didnt see a mention of well wishes to the staff and customers at the Spar :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Genuine question: what are they protesting? It's sad that someone has been killed but when there were protests in the US and UK it was because the killings of unarmed black people were getting out of hand. This guy was not unarmed and there hasn't been a string of murders by the Gardai.

I think it's certain individuals trying to whip up a social media frenzy and appear relevant, ignorant of the history of Ireland as the land of the oppressed, as opposed to that of the slave owners and colonisers in the US, France and UK.

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    Paul Donnelly local TD, is another who tweeted sympathy for the dead man, but I didnt see a mention of well wishes to the staff and customers at the Spar :mad:

Wait for the shinners defenders......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Danzy, cut out the trolling or I'll threadban you.

Final warning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Elected officials.

Make a complaint to the Standards in Public Office Commission with a screenshot of the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Why are the guards not protecting that mans business?

What is he paying all those taxes for?

I think you'll see they protected his business yesterday. And the mayor of Dublin, and their own boss, the justice minister are making comments on twitter for likes, and not taking into account facts. When, they should be making no comment at all.

Wheres the incentive to protect his business today? And have it turned into a race issue, when clearly its not. Must feel like a kick in the teeth, and that they're totally on their own. Particularly the guard who had to make a decision yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Elected officials.

I'd say there's a long queue away from that derriere!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Eurospar and surrounding shops abruptly closed. Scary situation for the staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Elected officials.

A pair of woke Manchurian candidates who were more installed than elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Just to say, that picture of the supposed shop victim is fake. Its a photo of an English football fan that was attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Re: spar hartstown https://streamable.com/310bbb

They're all young arseholes. Just like the ones I was reading on twitter. No cop on yet and think this is some "movement"

I hate people lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement