Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A good dose of covid will sort out those rioters... Lunatics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

walshb wrote: »
    But what can we as a state/society do to tackle anarchy if the Gradia can't, or won't?

I am wondering what options are available to society to protect life and property...

I always thought the army were an option?

Army is 100% the next step you are right but i can't see the Gardai standing aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,455 ✭✭✭✭walshb

GreeBo wrote: »

Yes, but by the time it starts working, we'll have all have gone home...

He dictated how it was handled.
    He refused to drop the knife and actually attacked.
    Should have been shot earlier imo as there was a serious chance that he would attack someone else.

Fair enough i misjudged you so my mistake.

Thats all okay, but will all the people attacked today get justice. These were hate crimes and yet the SJW's are ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Tzardine wrote: »
    Getting sent a lot of videos. The gang were causing murder in the shopping centre. Keying cars etc.There are a lot of people in blanch that won't tolerate this.

Younger brother lives in the area. Vigilante groups are being setup to tackle the protestors.

There is a big sh1t storm coming.

I hope to fcuk this isn't all just bluster. When the public representatives fail to represent the people the people will represent themselves. Hopefully the start of a real movement against the politically correct poor them bull**** we are saturated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

What's going on today shows also that there is a true lack on black community leaders in the Blanch area. We have some people who purport to represent black opinion here inflaming the situation instead of calling for calm, but there doesn't seem to be any proper leadership. A token number of people tried to stop them kicking in the doors of the Garda station, fair play to them, but that was it.

I thought this yesterday and today only conforms it. This will be a watershed moment in race relations in Ireland. I fear it will only get worse. People like Hazel Chu and Ebun Joseph who should be calling for a calm reaction are stoking it, or not doing anything to quell it. It's led by an angry mob mentality, some of whom have been waiting for this for some time. Lies on both sides don't help.

The only positives I can see so far is that Alan Kelly can put his proposed citizenship referendum into the back of the filing cabinet, and that Ebun Joseph has put a nail into her 'career'.

For all the tweeting from politicians I haven't seen one of them on the streets today asking for calm and respect.

The only good thing is that the shooting was filmed, you could only imagine the cluster fcuk if it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

walshb wrote: »
    But what can we as a state/society do to tackle anarchy if the Gradia can't, or won't?

I am wondering what options are available to society to protect life and property...

I always thought the army were an option?

The army are not police and anyone who mentions them in a situation like this has never been in the Defence Forces or the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 19,887 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The GoFundMe for his funeral has gone up from 7k to 10k

Edit: the goal has increased

I normally don't read twitter but I followed some links from this thread.
    I saw posts from two people, one who claimed to be a brother, and another who claimed to be a sister of the deceased.
    Both were linking to the gofundme and publicly stating it was official.

I don't know about the rest of ye, but if a close relation to me had gotten shot, the last thing I'd be thinking of doing would be going online to big up a free-money fundraiser for myself off the back of it! I definitely wouldn't be going online literally a couple of hours later and trying to publicize it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm afraid parts of Dublin look more and more like parts of London and Birmingham every day.

We also seem to have the same lack of urgency from our police force and politicans to tackle the issue.

Maybe it's me and the way I was raised but all respect for the Gardai seems to have disappeared and that is a major problem.

Oh Ireland what have you done....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Its almost like the guards are afraid to go in and sort them out. And the lord mayor should be fu**ing sacked aswell.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

tayto honestly i doubt even you believe that, do you not wish for everyone involved it was handled differently without anyone dying no matter your viewpoint.

There are dozens of ways it could have been handled differently, they all involve him either not assaulting innocent people or dropping the knife.... At any point he could have ended it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Big garda presence at the Aquatic Centre. The use here as a staging area. Looks like they are getting ready to mobilise.

Witcher wrote: »
    The army are not police and anyone who mentions them in a situation like this has never been in the Defence Forces or the Gardai

In the FCA Witcher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Big garda presence at the Aquatic Centre. The use here as a staging area. Looks like they are getting ready to mobilise.

About fu**ing time!!!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My word, just saw some of the videos.

Those “protestors” need to be moved along and dispersed. If they refuse then arrest them! There is a serious pandemic going ffs.

Where are the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Statistically they're more likely to be shot than die from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,455 ✭✭✭✭walshb

KevRossi wrote: »

For all the tweeting from politicians I haven't seen one of them on the streets today asking for calm and respect.

I asked this...

It is absolutely disgusting that people in power will jump to offer condolences, but none have shown any common human decency to call for a stop to this anarchy...and I mean a firm and forceful call for stop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

The Irish times.

Its been reported there was no video of the taser or the pepper spray. That was why it was so emphasized by he police. Some people still don't believe it.

A newspaper article is gospel now, is it? That reporter is basing his article off the video that you me and everyone else has seen.

I assume this race riot and hate crimes today will be number one news on all stations.

• Advertisement

Fingal Communities against racism, very fcuking kindly giving advice to protesters
    Sweet jesus.

Wear dark Clothing
    Cover Identifying features such as scars tattooos.
    Dont engage with Police.

Above are just some of the gems.. very worrying, almost as if they are telling them how not to be caught doing something...

https://mobile.twitter.com/FingalTogether/status/1344584406330171393/photo/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

This is the best statement from any politician I have seen:
    George Nkencho Death Underscores Need For Piloting of Garda Body Cameras

Aontú Leader & Meath West TD Peadar Tóibín has called for the Minister for Justice to fast-track legislation to pilot Body Camera’s for Gardaí to wear in light of the George Nkencho shooting yesterday.

An Teachta Tóibín:

“I would ask people especially on Twitter to desist from being Judge and Jury in what is a very tragic situation for the deceased man, his family and the Gardaí in question. The tragic death of Garda Colm Horkan shows how dangerous & volatile these situations can be. Innocence until guilt is proven is a corner stone of liberal democracy. It is reckless for people from the safety of their own sitting rooms, with the aid of limited grainy video to try apportion blame and fit this tragic situation into the narrative of America’s race conflicts”.

“Only a few months, we lost Detective Colm Horkan in the line of duty. Our Gardaí are part of the fabric of our society and are there when we need them. They put their lives on the line for our communities daily. There needs to be an investigation into what happened yesterday and people must wait until the investigation is complete”.

“For the protection of Gardaí and citizens it’s important that the provision of Garda body cameras is piloted in Ireland. It has been promised by the Government as late as last May, yet no move has been made. I understand that there are privacy concerns however their piloting would help us understand if they can help protect Gardaí and citizens in future”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I firmly believe that if you take a knife in order to rob and attack people and then actually do that then you deserve be shot.
    I have no problem with him being shot dead at all. Good riddance.
    Alright, fair enough - that is a clear and direct statement.

I don't agree with that - I think that when there is any possibility of the person being arrested in a non-lethal way, then they should be.

If the person is directly about to attack another civilian (the police aren't civilians), then it may be justified to shoot to stop him. I'm not yet convinced the bar was met for that justification here.

Stamp it out early. Dead right. This isn't America.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

KyussB wrote: »
    I think killing a person entering his own home is an utterly absurd attempt at justification - which would be obvious given that he would most likely either need to have a key, or there would be family members or neighbours around confirming this, given there was such a scene.

None of the weight of uncertainty in this circumstance, should fall in favour of the guards - it should all be geared towards maximum scrutinty against the guards - as that's what needed to spur full public accountability here.

Given his actions that day they couldn't risk him going in and killing anyone inside the house, taking hostages etc, barricading himself in in.

Given his past history, they couldn't he certain he didn't have a gun.

It's a sad state of affairs when a man can try slice a gay man's throat, beat another, threaten others and still be expected to just close his front door on the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If I was in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre right now, I'd be taking a knee so frigging fast!

I wouldn't.

You take a knee to propose to your partner.
    You take a knee to God in a church (should one believe that) Etc.

Not to some scumbag who went around with a knife and got shot.
    Don't get me wrong, if a bunch of scumbags are running around the centre causing **** that's the smart man's que to exit. But I ain't taking a knee for none of these feckers. Proverbially or literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

Serious?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There are dozens of ways it could have been handled differently, they all involve him either not assaulting innocent people or dropping the knife.... At any point he could have ended it differently.

100% agree, providing he didnt have a history of mental illness but this guy did, and the gardai knew this and it looks like he was going through an episode.
    Do you honestly think he was in his right mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I would be there but 5k covid thingy.

Hahaha, yeah , you would.

Many, many videos have been posted on the old Internet, and one was used on RTE , of Garda thuggery, only for it to be subsequently revealed that said videos had been doctored to remove evidence incriminating the 'innocent' . I think we'll need bodycam footage from the scene to show EXACTLY what happened.

if someone armed with a knife, having failed to disarm and surrender to Gardai, is then intent on entering a house , ANY house, then that person needs to be stopped there and then.

If my brother or son was in my garden waving a machete at the Gardai, I'd be out like a shot to disarm before he got shot.

edit to say: seems like my knowledge of Garda equipment is lacking, looking at a post above mine, which was added while I was typeing, it seems the Gardai do not have body cams. THAT's one serious failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I can't tell who is firing the gun in the video? Are they out of the frame?

He does not appear to be attacking when the first shot is fired. He does not appear to be wounded by that shot. He clearly is attacking when the following shots are fired, which include the ones that killed him.

Do guards fire warning shots? If the first shot was intended to hit him then there's a major question about whether it was necessary. If it was not and was fired according to protocol then it seems very clear that it was a reasonable course of action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement