Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

enricoh wrote: »
    How are this lot funded? If they get a fiver from the taxpayer it's a disgrace. Is that pat finucanes son the solicitor?

it is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Deploying the Defence Forces night be premature but they can be used as an aid to be civil power assisting AGS.

They assisted AGS in Limerick in the 2000's and decent people like me were grateful to them and AGS. Scumbags were a little reluctant to kick off at a checkpoint when the people manning the checkpoint had Steyrs.

People had enough of the scum in Limerick back then and there was a heavy crackdown. People here despised the gangs, scum are scum.

That was just a show, they haven't actually got any power behind that. They're an aid to the civil power, they are not the civil power. They assist on missing person searches etc. Not in public order matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Well i don't know the family or anything, but from what i've read from the brothers statement, yes there is a history of such, and it was well know to the local Gardai.

So what kind of mental illness did he have? And who diagnosed this illness? I assume he was getting treatment for it if everyone was aware of this illness?

At the end of the day, and I've said this before in this thread - being mentally ill means nothing if you are attacking someone with a machete. All reasonable, non-lethal attempts were used to defuse the situation (according to reports) - shooting him dead was the last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭jackboy

There was no riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

If someone stabbed or slashed my son/daughter while they work working for a living at a petrol station or convenience store I would have no problem sticking a gun up the offenders A**H*LE and pulling the trigger until it went CLICK (to quote Jesus from the Big Lebowski)

We can't have criminals running around unchecked. It has gone on too long already.

Its a pity the lad had to die, but we make our own beds.....

• Advertisement

Well i don't know the family or anything, but from what i've read from the brothers statement, yes there is a history of such, and it was well know to the local Gardai.

Does being stabbed by someone with a mental illness hurt less or something?

Is it less fatal?

The Gardai have a right to protect themselves regardless of what people might think.

As for mental illness, that's not the remit of Gardai primarily. He was armed, he attacked people, the property he was outside had people inside and he then attacked police officers.

Having attempted too control the situation verbally, having then attempted less lethal options, there was no other option left.

It's that simple. It really is. All the talk afterwards is just keyboard warriors who haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

jackboy wrote: »
    There was no riot.

Plenty of disturbances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Witcher wrote: »
    Gardai are entitled to their time off the same as anyone else

Would they not have a certain amount of units on call in case of a big emergency?

What about taking some guards from another station?

I never said they didn’t deserve their time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭jackboy

Tzardine wrote: »
    Plenty of disturbances though.

Yes but that is very different to a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

walshb wrote: »
    Ok,

so I take your deflection as a no....the state cannot use the army IF anarchy is happening that our Gardai cannot control..?!

Leave it there...

I just thought that an "option" for the state was defence forces/army.

This is interesting because I remember seeing checkpoints with Garda and Army. I've see Army personnel in riot gear. In Dublin.

Search youtube for this "Inter-Agency Public Order Training"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

brilou23 wrote: »
    Was he not swinging a knife at the cops. If he was it's justified IMO.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The media said this time and time again when it came to the American riots; there was even that famous video of the journalist saying an event was "mostly peaceful" while a building was burning behind him. The media simply have no credibility when it comes to these matter, because like yourself, they are on the side of these types.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's not the Garda's job to stand there and get stabbed.

At the moment he was shot he was in the midst of a frenzied knife attack as the video clearly shows. At that moment, the Gardaí had no option but to use lethal force. In my opinion it was justified.
    Except our country's newspaper of record states the shot happened first.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,438 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That was just a show, they haven't actually got any power behind that. They're an aid to the civil power, they are not the civil power. They assist on missing person searches etc. Not in public order matters.

So, they can't physically do anything, is this what you are saying?

I am interested in this...so don't think this is me badgering you...

I just always assumed that a state can use extreme and great powers to assist society in times of real emergency...

Not saying this is such a time....just wondering....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Tomato / Tomato

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lies until proven correct is my mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There was no riot.

Just your everyday rampage through shopping areas, attacking passers-by, and buses and people at petrol stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I guess their assault rifles were loaded with blanks too?

Although to me fair a member of the PDF told me people used to ask him were their guns loaded when he used to do cash in transit protection back in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats the problem with the social media world we live in, you don't know which story is real, how accurate it is, or if its all nonsense.

Maybe there was just a walk through the shopping centre?
    Maybe there were no buses attacked? Who knows if you haven't seen a video to prove it?

Social media has easily been the worse invention of the modern age. So dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

There was no riot.

I didn't know that you can peacefully throw objects at Garda vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Tzardine wrote: »
    That's the feeling of a lot of people in that age group. But that does not make them "foreign"

Foreign to me if they hate everything about my country.
    Free plane tickets to wherever they think they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭amacca

It isn't.

So why the lethal force?

I don't want this to become normal here.

Because he was behaving in way that could prove lethal to other innocent parties.

He appears to have had many chances to stop behaving that way and save his own life. If it was up to me he would get one and one only.

If he showed up anywhere near myself or my family being an obvious threat like the stuff described yesterday I would be grateful to the guards for doing what they had to.

Speaking as a victim of an unprovoked attack (a long time ago), there seems to be no other way to deal with threats like this........

In one sense I think perhaps if they had an effective non-lethal way (seems like both options simply didn't work here) then use that but another part of me thinks with a guy like this you are just delaying the moment in the future when he harms some other innocent person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

I doubt the plonkers in the Limerick gangs understood the intricacies of the legal mandate of the Defence Forces and constitutional intricacies of the same. They did however understand the language of a loaded gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

KyussB wrote: »
    Look, don't make shit up 'maybe he had a gun?!' etc. is just bullshit.

A person entering their own fucking home shouldn't be shot for it. Drop that attempt at justification.

When that person is a deranged psycho who has already attached 2 people, with a machete, threatened more and has a history of extreme violence, then it is more than enough justification.

What do you think they should have done, let him go, maybe get a gun, barricade himself in to the house, who knows.

They might not be the highest earning people in society but they'll still want to go home alive to their families and keep the community safe.

I'd call it the tinder for a riot. It doesn't mean one will happen, but...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

jjmcclure wrote: »
    If someone stabbed or slashed my son/daughter while they work working for a loving at a petrol station or convenience store I would have no problem sticking a gun up the offenders A**H*LE and pulling the trigger until it went CLICK (to quote Jesus from the Big Lebowski)

We can't have criminals running around unchecked. It has gone on too long already.

Its a pity the lad had to die, but we make our own beds.....

haha wasn't it "the jesus" what a character !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There was no riot.

There's a long night ahead, angry people shut up for months, and it's new years eve.

I'd be surprised if a peaceful protest is all we will see. Devil finds work for idle hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The guards are meant to be trained and equipped to defend against knife attacks (they had ample time to prepare in this case, 2 hours by the sounds of it...), and to disarm and arrest people with a knife in a non-lethal way - that's what they're trained and paid for, and are supposed to be trained to do this without creating risk for themselves or others.

If they fail, then they've either fucked up, encountered an impossible situation (rare...), or they've encountered a new scenario which they need to learn from and train better from, so that something like this never happens again.

That's the very high standard we hold the guards up to, and which they need to meet.

You keep saying knife, it was a ****ing machete - Gards aren't Jackie Chan wannabes who will face down a psycho with a machete ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Except our country's newspaper of record states the shot happened first.

they watched the same video everybody else has. they have no idea what happened immediately preceding the start of the video. he was apparently tasered and pepper sprayed but that is not on the video so the video does not show everything that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I didn't know that you can peacefully throw objects at Garda vehicles.

It's violent to throw rocks but other than that it was peaceful. Oh and kicked busses, door shutters, shouting abuse, spitting at Gards, fighting etc. Other than all the violence it was peaceful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement