Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

KyussB wrote: »
    GSOC are probably relatively impartial - but they are staffed with ex-police-service and ex-US-secret-service folk - probably among others.

They aren't all civilians, they have a revolving door with police services (albeit I'm not sure if that includes our own national police/defence services), so their independence and impartiality is absolutely in question.

GSOC are totally independent of AGS, they were set up to replace the former Garda Complaint's Board.

They may have ex Police in their ranks who are well versed and experienced in investigations and procedures into complaints made about AGS.

GSOC is hardly going to recruit a chef or a delivery driver to their ranks.

Your comments are only your opinions and not based on any evidence or facts.

You can speculatate all you like on here, thats all it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jackboy wrote: »
    There was no riot.

NIMAN
    Thats the problem with the social media world we live in, you don't know which story is real, how accurate it is, or if its all nonsense.

Maybe there was just a walk through the shopping centre?
    Maybe there were no buses attacked? Who knows if you haven't seen a video to prove it?

Social media has easily been the worse invention of the modern age. So dangerous.

yup...

some of the videos are clearly not blanch tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

People in spar.
    Must have been scary.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRRAEhL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Nermal

The guards are meant to be trained and equipped to defend against knife attacks (they had ample time to prepare in this case, 2 hours by the sounds of it...), and to disarm and arrest people with a knife in a non-lethal way - that's what they're trained and paid for, and are supposed to be trained to do this without creating risk for themselves or others.

Please, enlighten us as to how you yourself would safely disarm a knife-wielding thug, impervious to tasers and pepper-spray, in a non-lethal manner.

I would worry, though, that anyone you train to do this might leave AGS for a slightly more lucrative career in the UFC...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Would they not have a certain amount of units on call in case of a big emergency?

What about taking some guards from another station?

I never said they didn’t deserve their time off.

No they don't.

Stations...even in Dublin barely have the numbers to do their own job nevermind cover other areas and many working members will have booked leave tonight anyway so numbers will be even tighter than a normal night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

the life of a garda is as valuable as a civilian
    Absolutely, yes - they are supposed to be trained to deal with circumstances like this, though - and are supposed to be equipped/trained to deal with such attacks in a non-lethal way - so when we are talking about whether or not lethal force is justified, we have to distinguish between police (who are supposed to be properly equipped/trained) and civilians - as that greatly affects whether or not it is justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Except our country's newspaper of record states the shot happened first.

That reporter saw the same video that you and I did. They weren't at the scene. How do you know the first shot wasn't a taser? How do you know the video wasn't edited?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats the problem with the social media world we live in, you don't know which story is real, how accurate it is, or if its all nonsense.

Maybe there was just a walk through the shopping centre?
    Maybe there were no buses attacked? Who knows if you haven't seen a video to prove it?

Social media has easily been the worse invention of the modern age. So dangerous.

Agreed.

I've seen one where they kicked a bus and blocked its path.

I've seen another labelled "terrorising shoppers" and, to be fair, they weren't. They were marching through the shopping centre protesting.

People see what they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The opining on issues of sounds recorded on a smart phone as justification for rioting for justice for a man who attacked innocent people with a blade and did not comply with the Gardai is mind boggling.

George Nkencho made a decision to do what he did, he made a decision to not comply with Gardai who made him aware of the fact they were armed.

The throngs of Irish people desperately clamouring for a reason to be ashamed of their white skin is astonishing. This was NOT a situation in which somebody was killed in an unjust manner by police solely because of their skin colour and anyone attempting to make out that this is the case is an imbecile.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭jackboy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just your everyday rampage through shopping areas, attacking passers-by, and buses and people at petrol stations.

I wouldn’t call any of the videos I have seen a riot or a rampage. Yes, there are incidents but as far as I can see they are isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Lies until proven correct is my mentality.

A bit harsh Ba the kid saw his older brother shot dead in front of him 24hours ago,
    but i do agree the investigation (once independent) will resolve any doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Just more evidence of how mentally ill the far left are in this country. Nothing but a bunch of scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,434 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any sign of any elected leader calling for people to stop terrorizing-intimidating the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The guards are meant to be trained and equipped to defend against knife attacks (they had ample time to prepare in this case, 2 hours by the sounds of it...), and to disarm and arrest people with a knife in a non-lethal way - that's what they're trained and paid for, and are supposed to be trained to do this without creating risk for themselves or others.

If they fail, then they've either fucked up, encountered an impossible situation (rare...), or they've encountered a new scenario which they need to learn from and train better from, so that something like this never happens again.

That's the very high standard we hold the guards up to, and which they need to meet.

neither of the non-lethal options they tried has any effect. they're not feckin bruce lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That is not what is happening.

Its a divisive video. Its making some people very very angry.

Its also the last moments of a man's life.

I for one will report any account that shares it. As it breaks most rules on social media platforms anyway.

If it were YOUR son or brother ..would you want it being shared?

It would devastate me even more.

I couldnt bear it.

The family are innocent.

Not to mention it might be able to identify the guards involved. And it could be dangerous for THEM.
    Identify the guards? Lol all you can make out are human shaped blobs..

The pleas of familial innocence when said family members are stoking this online are a bit much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Scotty # wrote: »
    But he wasn't entering his home, he was exiting it, while attempting to stab people.
    If that is true, then that is just an added reason that other posters claiming he was entering the house, should drop their use of that as an attempt at justifying shooting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That is not what is happening.

Its a divisive video. Its making some people very very angry.

Its also the last moments of a man's life.

I for one will report any account that shares it. As it breaks most rules on social media platforms anyway.

If it were YOUR son or brother ..would you want it being shared?

It would devastate me even more.

I couldnt bear it.

The family are innocent.

Not to mention it might be able to identify the guards involved. And it could be dangerous for THEM.

Report away. I'll continue sharing it wherever I see it. Maybe George should have thought of the impact being a criminal scumbag would have on his family when he left the house with a machete that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Agreed.

I've seen one where they kicked a bus and blocked its path.

I've seen another labelled "terrorising shoppers" and, to be fair, they weren't. They were marching through the shopping centre protesting.

People see what they want to see.

I saw a very clear video of a mother and son being punched to the ground on the path outside Circle K in Hartstown.

What do you say to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

of course i do, by non lethal force, not 15 men, 5 armed as has been pointed out and shot like a fox in a hunt once cornered, the shots were fired before any lunge as has been reported. One bullet missed and it was all done in full view of the family in the house. It was so unprofessional in my view and a failure on all fronts.

There were 5 shots fired, 2 missed. There were 2 members of the ERU on the scene. Lets stick to known facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If the Gardai were wrong it will come out in the Ombudsman's report.
    The Gardai are in a very difficult position at the best of times.

In a few moments when their life in threatened they are supposed to be social workers, and Guardians of the Peace all rolled into one.

There has been situations where Gardai have been killed by an individual with suspected mental illness before.

Like Garda Colm Horkan in Roscommon June 2020

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspect-in-murder-of-det-garda-colm-horkan-known-as-a-nuisance-with-history-of-mental-health-issues-39298260.html

Added to a long list of Gardai killed in the line of Duty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Garda%C3%AD_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Not only do the Gardai have to deal with Paramilitaries, Bank Robbers, Joyriders, and Junkies with syringes. They now have to have an added extra likely smear put upon their character when a civilian is shot that is not white. Even if a guard or other civilians are under threat and in grave danger.

Shame on those who are making this a race issue. Only the facts should be looked at,

"The Armed Support Unit were also threatened with a knife and implemented a graduated policing response where the use of less-than-lethal force options was initially administered in an effort to resolve the incident.

‘The less-than-lethal use of force options were unsuccessful, and a number of shots were discharged from an official Garda firearm at approximately 12.35pm."

https://extra.ie/2020/12/30/featured/man-shot-gardai-clonee

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

People in spar.
    Must have been scary.

Videos of this doing the rounds. Members of a mob filmed spitting (not sure if at an individual or at the shopfront generally). Needs to be handled right in case it really kicks off, but these kids need to get the f*ck home and the public order unit sent in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

People in spar.
    Must have been scary.

Seen the videos on Facebook. People behaving like absolute animals

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Absolutely, yes - they are supposed to be trained to deal with circumstances like this, though - and are supposed to be equipped/trained to deal with such attacks in a non-lethal way - so when we are talking about whether or not lethal force is justified, we have to distinguish between police (who are supposed to be properly equipped/trained) and civilians - as that greatly affects whether or not it is justified.

both of the non-lethal options available to them failed. and presenting an immediate threat to the life of a police officer is as much a justification for lethal force as a similar threat to a civilian. their life is just as valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Video of the woman being punched to the ground by these animals.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLiberal.ie/videos/2846074382382353

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Beltby wrote: »
    That reporter saw the same video that you and I did. They weren't at the scene. How do you know the first shot wasn't a taser? How do you know the video wasn't edited?

That's precisely my point. An inquiry will take place as is right and proper. Nobody here has the answers, and rather than engage in this trial by media you should all await the outcome of the inquiry

°°°°°

If they fail, then they've either fucked up, encountered an impossible situation (rare...), or they've encountered a new scenario which they need to learn from and train better from, so that something like this never happens again.

That's the very high standard we hold the guards up to, and which they need to meet.

What a load of waffle.

As the Yanks say, Monday morning quarter back.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

They tried non lethal ways. I've seen you blame everyone except the armed man who brutally assaulted a man In a shop and refused to respond to Garda directives.

Ultimately, the deceased could of done so many things differently and he would still be here. He chose not to

Tzardine wrote: »

Clearly not related, according to some...

°°°°°

Tzardine wrote: »

Hang on a minute, that was a peaceful assault. You must be a racist for showing that, the Irish times said everything is OK in Blanchardstown.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Imagine being a black fella today and absolutely abhorring everything that’s going on. You’d be afraid to openly say that you thought George was a violent scrote lest you’d be considered a race traitor. That’s another angle of this Us vs Them agenda. MLK would be spinning in his grave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement