Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

strandroad wrote: »
    I have a few black folks on my social media, not a word from them (they would be broadly of professional background). And my social media is leftist enough to see referendum campaign comments, BLM comments, occasionally housing crisis comments, equality campaigns etc. Again not a word from anyone. The centre-left seems to see the difference between unarmed black folks killed for nothing and an active knifeman situation.

Well that is good to hear.

Jesus fucking Christ.

When an out of control lunatic is lunging at you and swinging a machete at your head, you don't have the comfort of having options to choose from.

they should have ordered him a takeaway and tickled his balls, read him a story ran him a bath, exhausted all other avenues..:rolleyes:

FFS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭batman_oh

KyussB wrote: »
    They tried a total of two non-lethal options, and decide "fuck it, lets shoot him..." - when he is nowhere near any civilians??!

Not exactly exhausting their options there, are they?

I'm sure you would have made him see the error of his ways with your ridiculous arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

batman_oh wrote: »
    I'm sure you would have made him see the error of his ways with your ridiculous arguments
    in fairness they would probably have collapsed from the cringe.

A few American blacks on this on Twitter. Apparently we are white supremacists.

This kind of American imperialism, the imposition of their history onto the world's history, is a huge problem from a European perspective. We could handle African immigration, in fact in the UK its been fairly successful in terms of integration, but if it comes with the new white supremacism nonsense then it's just not going to work. Racial divisions will increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Are you seriously telling me there are a total of exactly two non-lethal options available to the police?

There was also two hours of pleading with him to drop the lethal weapon beforehand. Isn't that also non-lethal? Most people, even the most hardened criminal, would comply.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That's pretty despicable but how do we know it's a mother and her son or what's happened in the lead up to it?

I'm not excusing the behaviour. What's visible in that video is inexcusable but there's a narrative constructed around it that people are repeating without having any idea of how right or wrong it is.

I'd say she started it alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Are you seriously telling me there are a total of exactly two non-lethal options available to the police?

Pepper spray-tried/failed
    Tazer-tried/failed

Spring baton- distance required not suitable to someone with a large knife
    Tackle and joint lock- wouldn't take the chance while he's still holding the blade.
    Cuffs- not while he's still standing.

So yeah, only really 2 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

What do to want a Garda to do? Tickle him until he drops the machete?
    No you're right, the guards are completely defenseless and have no training or defensive equipment at their disposal - they're as vulnerable as babies!

EDIT: Edit to add for DRP review, that this is intended to be as facetious as the post I'm replying to - where the OP facetiously suggests tickling the attacker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

On the whole racism angle, has there ever been a black person shot in Ireland before this? Surely the claim of racism can't be statistically supported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A few American blacks on this on Twitter. Apparently we are white supremacists.

This kind of American imperialism, the imposition of their history onto the world's history, is a huge problem from a European perspective. We could handle African immigration, in fact in the UK its been fairly successful in terms of integration, but if it comes with the new white supremacism nonsense then it's just not going to work. Racial divisions will increase.

A lot of Irish people too obsessed with American culture, it was inevitable their culture wars would come into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

"Hang on there George, will you hold off with your stabbing and slicing and wait until another unit arrives with another less than lethal method of getting you to drop the blade please, Good lad."

Ffs the Gardai on scene appear to have tried the available less than lethal methods to disarm this fella and they didnt work, so they used the required force to stop him. It turned out well in the end, violent thug who had just attacked someone was disabled and no injuries to Gardai or bystanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are you seriously telling me that you have the faintest notion what you're talking about?

how many do you think they carry with them?
    If the police have had reportedly had ~2 hours to figure out how to deal with this guy, then they have practically the entire arsenal at Blanchardstown police station and beyond to use, to figure it the fuck out - not just whatever pepper spray and tazers they have on them at the scene.

Jesus fucking Christ.

When an out of control lunatic is lunging at you and swinging a machete at your head, you don't have the comfort of having options to choose from.
    Except the newspaper of record says the police shot first, before he lunged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

No you're right, the guards are completely defenseless and have no training or defensive equipment at their disposal - they're as vulnerable as babies!
    You're just trolling, you must be. Those poor Gardai have to deal with that now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's a fact that GSOC have recruited ex-PSNI and ex-US-intelligence folk into their ranks.

I absolutely do think that's a conflict of interest - even if it's not a direct conflict with the Gardai (and it'd need to be looked at closer, in more direct detail, to verify there are no ex-Gardai - because GSOC folk have revolved into roles in other Gardai-related agencies after being in GSOC...).

It looks a lot like there are revolving doors operating at GSOC. Ireland has some of the most corrupt and impotent regulatory agencies on the planet - so it's only fair to consider GSOC in the same light.

I think there is a cohort in society who like to say all Gardai are scum. With little thought of the danger they put themselves in the line of Duty.
    It is much easier to scream corruption and so on as it suits a cohorts agenda. Normally those who are involved or have been involved in criminality in the past. Or those who who just have a set against the Gardai in general.

Unfortunate that the man shot in this case may have had a mental illness.
    After going through the procedure using non-lethal force options what were the Gardai supposed to do. Make him a cup of tea and have a chat is it?

Hyperbolic statements like the following without any proper evidence to back it up. Makes people look silly and hysterical.

Ireland has some of the most corrupt and impotent regulatory agencies on the planet - so it's only fair to consider GSOC in the same light.

I feel sorry for the Garda in question and the family of the man who was killed.
    But people should not lose sight of the reality of the situation the Garda and Gardai was faced with.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If the police have had reportedly had ~2 hours to figure out how to deal with this guy, then they have practically the entire arsenal at Blanchardstown police station and beyond to use, to figure it the fuck out - not just whatever pepper spray and tazers they have on them at the scene.

they used what they had available. the scumbag could have ended it himself at any point. this is all down to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just stop. Nobody here is entertaining you, give it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,433 ✭✭✭✭walshb

On the whole racism angle, has there ever been a black person shot in Ireland before this? Surely the claim of racism can't be statistically supported.

Very very very few people of any color shot dead by Gardai in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The **** are these BLM clowns doing in Ireland?? This isn't the USA for God's sake.

You can blame every hack "journalist" in Ireland for this, as they were glad to treat Ireland as an American state during the George Floyd nonsense. Absolute fools with not an ounce of foresight, the very last people who should be journalists.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Will you go away with this sh1te? Gards aren't cannon fodder to be thrown infront of lunatics swinging a machete around - yes they are trained in non-lethal takedowns and incapacitating criminals, but there is no training for taking down an idiot swinging a machete around

Your contempt for the Gardai is staggering, I hope you never require their assistance one day

this has already been answered for you.

I think the biggest winners out of all this will be the far right, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You're playing with fire by even implying that more cases like this could justify said position.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Keep apologising for the racist black man who beat an old woman and was shot after committing an armed racist assault.

As I said before, the far left are clearly mentally ill.

Do you care about the people he attacked? No, you care for the black racist because you think you'll get some woke points. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did anyone shoot before he attacked and injured the poor man in the shop?
    He got what he deserved. I’m not shedding any tears for this lad at all.
    My sympathies are with the poor Garda who had to shoot him before he injured some other innocent party.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

They also do the same thing in my country, they think Brazil is in Europe and the police will not react?

https://youtu.be/Wxe1XBT6m0o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

They did figure it out, less lethal options failed, he continued to threaten Gardai with a machete.. so the figured that the only option was lethal force.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement